DLC Discussion Thread: The Horses are In, the Owl has Flown the Coop

Me: Should we post a discussion thread on the boards?
Owl: I'm on vacation, I ain't doing nothing ha.
Me: That's going into the discussion thread.

DLC Week of 11/15: Band of Horses Pack 01!

We’ve got a whole Pack from Band of Horses this week, a great way to start off the holiday season!

The first song featured in the Band of Horses pack is “The Funeral”, the lead single off of their debut album, Everything All the Time. You’ve heard it in tons of TV shows, a bunch of movies, and in multiple video games. A very popular debut with both fans and critics, the song went on to be named one of the best songs of the decade by Pitchfork Media. The song begins somewhat somber, with slow picked guitar and echoing harmonies, and then increasingly builds up, as the percussion enters with heavier guitar chords. The song plays a bit more between the loud and quiet parts for its 5 minute run, so parts will change up in big ways. The outro comes in with a speed-up for all instruments, so make sure you’re ready for the final shift.

Rounding out the Band of Horses Pack is a great pair of songs from their sophomore album Cease to Begin. “Is There a Ghost” and “No One’s Gonna Love You” were the album’s two singles and immediately struck a chord with their already substantial fan base. “Is There a Ghost” was the band’s highest charting song on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart upon release, while “No One’s Gonna Love You” appeared in TV shows and movies, and has even been covered by other artists. “Is There a Ghost” keeps the energy high, with guitar nearly always holding down chords and drums kicking without pause. “No One’s Gonna Love You” has a rarely seen chord pattern when you adjust the lower fret to shape the next one, rather than the higher. This song has the most variety of the Pack, with shifting positions and more than a few drum fills over a nonstandard pattern.

Band of Horses Pack 01 can be purchased for $4.99. Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each.

Band of Horses Pack 01:

• “Is There a Ghost”
  • “No One’s Gonna Love You”
  • “The Funeral”

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, November 15th.

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Not sick, on vacation, I was SO CLOSE

I didn't buy any of these when they were in the Rock Band Network, but I kinda like them, leaning toward getting the whole package.

Cool.
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    Not really shedding a tear over "The Great Salt Lake" not being here. If it comes, great. If not, these are the three I wanted the most.
  • SCFoxSCFox Opening Act
    Awesome! Glad to have these back. And extra awesome that all three songs are in a pack!
  • dlleweldllewel Unsigned
    Thanks @LoopyChew for filling in and posting the information! It is very much appreciated. I hope Owl has a nice vacation.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    There were five things I really wanted back from the RBN: "Paralyzer", "Blow at High Dough", the Shins tracks, the Band of Horses tracks, and the Trews tracks. Considering I highly doubt I'll ever get my Tragically Hip or Trews songs back, I've been doing pretty good the past few weeks!
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act
    Don't know Band of Horses but I did like the one song they had in GH5. Might check this out.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 13
    A shame Casual Party didn't appear but still a very strong pack, interesting discount too. Hopefully Casual Party and The Great Salt Lake are the next Band of Horses songs to come (if a pack, add in the GH5 song).
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    These seem fine. Unobjectionable. If there were on a disc setlist or in some kinda deep-discount bundle I'd be happy with having them in my library.

But they're not worth $2.99CDN each to me (or whatever the per unit cost becomes after the Sony Canada exchange rate is applied to the pack price), so this week is a mild pass.
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned
    these seem Meh to me
    I shall probably wish list them for someday when I have drank too much Jagermeister and spend money I don't have
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited November 13
    Super excited for this. I owned "The Funeral" and "No One's Gonna Love You" before, so I definitely appreciate the discount.
    CAL022 said:

Don't know Band of Horses but I did like the one song they had in GH5. Might check this out.

All 3 of these songs are better than "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands" (their song in GH5). If you liked that song, you should like these.

The fact "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands" was even in GH5 was weird. It wasn't a single, and it's not a signature song of their's either.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    "The Great Salt Lake" has become a favourite of mine in the past few years, so slightly disappointed that this 3-pack couldn't have been made into a 4-pack. That's not to say that there's no chance for "TGSL" to come later, but as the least popular song of Band of Horses' RBN tracks, it's a lot less likely to come on its own later than if, say, "The Funeral" had been left out of the pack.
  • Thanks to @ohNOitsLYNCHO for introducing me to Band of Horses a few years ago. Will pick these up again. The deeper discount for the pack is also appreciated.
  • Excellent post @LoopyChew. I hope Owl is not wasting his vacation by checking on the forums.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Most excited I’ve been for DLC in ages, maybe even since March... I love all these songs. Would’ve liked to see Great Salt Lake and/or some new songs too, but these all are instant purchases. GREAT pack
  • The Funeral was on my RBN to RB4 wishlist and now I can cross it off.
  • edited November 13
    OMG yes yes yes!!! Thanks @Harmonix <3

<blockquote class="UserQuote">

Thanks to @ohNOitsLYNCHO for introducing me to Band of Horses a few years ago. Will pick these up again. The deeper discount for the pack is also appreciated.

haha you're welcome and was introduced to them back in RB3 days myself and love their music now!
    *I alway mess up the quotes :D
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    TheStuddz said:

"The Great Salt Lake" has become a favourite of mine in the past few years, so slightly disappointed that this 3-pack couldn't have been made into a 4-pack. That's not to say that there's no chance for "TGSL" to come later, but as the least popular song of Band of Horses' RBN tracks, it's a lot less likely to come on its own later than if, say, "The Funeral" had been left out of the pack.

Yeah, "The Funeral" definitely would have sold on its own as a single. The other 3 probably wouldn't.

I also think it's wild RB4 has been out for a little over 3 years now, and the only artist packs we've gotten are:
    -Aerosmith (2 packs)
    -Van Halen
    -U2
    -Disturbed
    -Zac Brown Band
    -One Direction
    -The Cranberries
    -Justin Bieber
    -Hootie & The Blowfish
    -Avril Lavigne
    -Twenty One Pilots
    -Lady Gaga
    -Alice in Chains
    -Of Mice & Men
    -Band of Horses

That's only 16 packs. We would've gotten that in 6 months back in the day.
  • Not for me.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    tdc002 said:

TheStuddz said:

Yeah, "The Funeral" definitely would have sold on its own as a single. The other 3 probably wouldn't.

I also think it's wild RB4 has been out for a little over 3 years now, and the only artist packs we've gotten are:
    -Aerosmith (2 packs)
    -Van Halen
    -U2
    -Disturbed
    -Zac Brown Band
    -One Direction
    -The Cranberries
    -Justin Bieber
    -Hootie & The Blowfish
    -Avril Lavigne
    -Twenty One Pilots
    -Lady Gaga
    -Alice in Chains
    -Of Mice & Men
    -Band of Horses

That's only 16 packs. We would've gotten that in 6 months back in the day.
    Still better than getting nothing. Considering how everything this generation has gone, the amount and quality of DLC we have gotten is far superior to what my expectations were.

Take what you get I suppose.
  • tdc002 said:

TheStuddz said:

Not that it means anything, but chart-wise, No One's Gonna Love You was a much bigger hit than The Funeral.
  • Just listened to the preview... nothing is bad, but I am not sure if I would want to spend money on this. "Is There a Ghost” was interesting enough that I am gonna look up a full preview, but still not sold on that one
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    I like the sound of the songs and I'm gonna buy the pack, though I feel they're really too easy or maybe even forgettable.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Many people have been clamoring for Band of Horses, yes ... compared to other RBN artists. You have to grade on a curve.

Are these well-known songs? Relatively speaking, yes!
    Really fun to play? "Reasonably fun", yeah. "Fun enough", I think it's fair to say.
  • Many people have been clamoring for Band of Horses, yes ... compared to other RBN artists. You have to grade on a curve.

Are these well-known songs? Relatively speaking, yes!

It's a funny one in terms of "people clamouring for Band of Horses". The Funeral and No One's Gonna Love You were the 72nd and 139th biggest-selling songs on RBN. Is There A Ghost was #162 and The Great Salt Lake was #247. All four of those positions are bolstered somewhat by them all being RBN 1.0 tracks from 2010. Even taking the curve into account, all the Band of Horses songs have performed worse on RBN than a lot of songs people complained enough about the re-release of that we could have our very own Great Salt Lake.

For instance, both FFDP songs (#4 and #12), A Prophecy (#18), Business Time (#22), both The Devil Wears Prada songs (#26 and #27), both Of Mice and Men songs (#28 and #71), Relentless Chaos (#35), Tastes Like Kevin Bacon (#42) and probably some others I don't recall much of a fuss being kicked up about that probably were are, according to the community on here, songs that we "don't want". Yet, more people bought those than any Band of Horses track, and no doubt it gets "worse" the further down the list you go as you start to find other "unwanted" songs that outperformed No One's Gonna Love You and the rest.

By no means am I saying that the sales list is the only factor in what goes into what gets re-released - community feedback is likely an aspect, as well as who Harmonix can actually license this time around. With regards to community feedback, forum comments are just one part and at best, the third highest priority after the request page and USL (and I've made my views on how much it feels like Harmonix looks at the USL threads very clear in the past). Even then, numbers are pointing to me like it's an outspoken minority. That's probably the case for a lot of songs and artists though, and that's fine.

As for why people wanted this in the first place... honestly, I have no idea since this is not my kind of music at all. I guess that it's because it's pretty different from anything else from RBN that's come out so far. So far it's been a mix of Harmonix house bands, metalcore, emo and comedy/novelty tracks for the most part, and Band of Horses is a bit of a change of pace. As for why Band of Horses specifically, I'm sure one of their fans could describe their appeal.

Really fun to play? "Reasonably fun", yeah. "Fun enough", I think it's fair to say.

But try and do better than that because that is really not selling them to me. :tongue:
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Well damn, mixed feelings about this week.

Super stoked to be getting a pack, by any band, period. Even if it's something I won't buy having more 2 songs in a week makes me feel good, it really does, and getting packs now gives me hope for more packs in the future.

But dang if I wish we could get a pack for a non-RBN band. And Band of Horses, I've got nothing against them, but the only song I actually REALLY like by them that I've heard is "Casual Party" from RBVR, which of course wasn't in this pack. I already skipped all three of these songs back in RB3, but "The Funeral" actually sounds good enough where maybe I'll pick that one up. Maybe.