DLC Discussion Thread: Season 9 Kick-Off!

HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 11/29: Imagine Dragons and Maroon 5!

Kick off Season 9 with hits from Imagine Dragons and Maroon 5 this week in Rock Band 4!

Imagine Dragons is no stranger to Rock Band, and “Natural” marks their FIFTH song released in the game. Not only that, but it’s their FIFTH song to top the Billboard Hot Rock Songs chart. Talk about cool coincidences! “Natural” was the lead single off the recently released Origins, which debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200. You’ll find a lot of fun in this song, as the percussion has a lot of unconventional techniques. Marching line snares, rim clicks, and even a section that’s just the snare and kick make for a lot of unique sections. It’s also a great song to practice harmonies on, with long sustained choral notes.

We’re also bringing “Girls Like You” from Maroon 5 to Rock Band 4. Their latest album Red Pill Blues reached #2 on the Billboard 200, another in a long line of success for Maroon 5. Three singles and another great summer in, the album shows no signs of slowing down. They’re currently on the Red Pill Blues Tour, with big Mandalay Bay shows for New Year’s Eve, and worldwide stops in 2019! Like other Maroon 5 guitar charts, there’s a lot of variation throughout. It’s a strum-heavy riff, so you’ll have to be paying attention. As you'd expect from Adam Levine parts, the harmonies are a highlight, and the third line even splits off to riff at the end of the song. The latter choruses have some busy hi-hat action to bring the drums up as well.

Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99. The Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $14.99.

• Imagine Dragons - "Natural"
  • Maroon 5 - "Girls Like You" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass)

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, November 29th.

Comments

• djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    edited November 27
    Heh, my kids will be happy with Natural for sure.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Also...$14.99 for the Spotlight Pass. Isn't that usually the price for a 9-pack? A 9 week season, or a doubled-up week? I'd guess the latter.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited November 27
    Just watched the preview video, and whoa...looks like "Natural" rivals "Thunder" and "Believer" for the title of Most Boring Guitar and Bass Charts Ever. Their music (and especially their newer music) does not translate well to this game at all.

The guitar chart for "Girls Like You" seems okay, and the vocals will be fun, but the bass and drums are almost non-existent.
  • Not gonna be for everyone, of course, but I like them. And they are two pretty big hits right now, so I have to give credit to Harmonix for getting them.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    TheStuddz said:

Just watched the preview video, and whoa...looks like "Natural" rivals "Thunder" and "Believer" for the title of Most Boring Guitar and Bass Charts Ever. Their music (and especially their newer music) does not translate well to this game at all.

You would think that the extremely low DLC Quickplay ratings for each instrument on "Believer" and "Thunder" would be enough indication to Harmonix, too.

I mean look, Believer's bass chart is so bad its bass rating is nonexistent!

• Never heard “Natural” before, but pretty much all Imagine Dragons (besides "Thunder") is good, so I will take it

Not a fan of Maroon 5, but I will be buying the season pass anyways... so sadly I will have to get it
  • Jesus H. The catalog of picking the worst imagine dragons songs possible continues.
    I believe I called Natural coming though, because of this
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    Something about Imagine Dragons just does it for me. Not the most fun to play but that doesn't always matter either. Maroon 5 is hit or miss for me too.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 27
    I thought Imagine Dragons would be inbound soon as Origins was released a few weeks ago. A shame the Maroon 5 song isn't Maps but I'm sure it'll come eventually, just got to keep being patient.

@TheStuddz I don't think this week means anything for Maps, both songs this week are hits from this year so I can see why Maps would come at a different time. If the week had more songs it would've likely been an Off the Charts pack. As for the Spotlight Pass, it does seem to be 9 songs so at least 1 week has 2 songs in the pass.

• hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Pass
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Looks like another Karaoke Band week. Hard pass. At least these are actual bands, and not an artist like Meghan Trainor or Macklemore this time. I'm guessing casual players buy these pop songs? Charts like this look like they'd put any longtime player to sleep.

Hopefully I'm reading too much into this, but based on the Party Season contest on Twitter yesterday, I'm hoping this season isn't full of stuff like this.
  • Small shame Girls Like You isn’t the version with an added Cardi B. Verse since it would’ve been cool to introduce her to the Rock Band canon, but I’m still game.

Probably will get Natural now and bide my time to see if the pass is worth it.
  • TheStuddz said:

You would think that the extremely low DLC Quickplay ratings for each instrument on "Believer" and "Thunder" would be enough indication to Harmonix, too.

I mean look, Believer's bass chart is so bad its bass rating is nonexistent!

While I agree that Believer's bass is bad to play, I feel the other instruments are unfairly low, since both Guitar and Drums have fun but simple parts

also I guess the sample size is really low, since me putting a rating on them right now (4*) raised both those instruments up by a full star
  • Big pass for sure . Hate both songs with a passion.
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned
    no comment on the dlc from me
  • Not gonna be for everyone, of course, but I like them. And they are two pretty big hits right now, so I have to give credit to Harmonix for getting them.

I think that’s why with RB4 we seen more modern pop hits. They are cheaper to buy because those labels will do anything to earn more money.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Stuff like this is good for the platform and my wallet but not my library. I guess I'm part of the problem because I bought stuff like "Blurred Lines" and all the Off The Charts packs, hopefully the rest of the season includes something more up my alley
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited November 27

I think they care more about sales figures than dlcquickplay ratings.

I was being facetious. DLC Quickplay's community is super small now and by no means would I expect Harmonix to genuinely look there to gauge out what people think of DLC. Sales are the prime factor, always.