DLC Discussion Thread: Season 9 Kick-Off!

Comments

• Intros9Intros9 Unsigned
    TheStuddz said:

As others have said though, at least we're still getting big artists! Even if these aren't the songs I'd pick by them (will we ever get "She Will Be Loved"?).

I'm not a Maroon 5 fan, but that one song would be an insta-buy here for nostalgia alone.

Passing on both songs this week, hopefully some songs for old farts like myself will appear later this season.
  • What are DLC Quickplay's ratings based on:

How much people like the song?

How much they like the chart?

How difficult the song is?

I never heard of this DLC quickplay until today and when I took a look, I didn't see any explanations...
  • :neutral:
  • More Maroon 5 please

Also Whatever It Takes
  • So is Girls Like You the version the one with Cardi B or not?
  • So is Girls Like You the version the one with Cardi B or not?

Nope.
  • Not gonna be for everyone, of course, but I like them. And they are two pretty big hits right now, so I have to give credit to Harmonix for getting them.

I think that’s why with RB4 we seen more modern pop hits. They are cheaper to buy because those labels will do anything to earn more money.
    Not every genre is going to be stylistically everyone's cup of tea, nor will every song be Dragonforce guitar charts. One of the big complaints I saw for last season is the songs we were getting were not hits/not mainstream recognizable. And these are certifiable hits and generally well-known. At least on that front, it is objectively an improvement.
  • Would rather have older songs from both bands *cough*MAPSANDDEMONS*cough*. I'll probably get Girls Like You cause it's kindof catchy, but I dislike new Imagine Dragons.
  • HMXOwl said:

So is Girls Like You the version the one with Cardi B or not?

Nope.
    Too bad. I think it's the only thing she's done that I actually like. I'd imagine getting that version was more costly though.
  • Would rather have older songs from both bands *cough*MAPSANDDEMONS*cough*. I'll probably get Girls Like You cause it's kindof catchy, but I dislike new Imagine Dragons.

Same here. I don't mind newer Imagine Dragons, but not sure I like Natural at all. Still need Whatever It Takes, but it doesn't seem like we ever get the hits that were already missed because these bands keep cranking out new ones.
  • TheStuddz said:

Just watched the preview video, and whoa...looks like "Natural" rivals "Thunder" and "Believer" for the title of Most Boring Guitar and Bass Charts Ever. Their music (and especially their newer music) does not translate well to this game at all.

You would think that the extremely low DLC Quickplay ratings for each instrument on "Believer" and "Thunder" would be enough indication to Harmonix, too.

I mean look, Believer's bass chart is so bad its bass rating is nonexistent!

I think they care more about sales figures than dlcquickplay ratings.

No buy for me but I by no means consider this a bad week - getting two well known songs by two well known current artists is a good sign for the franchise. I think weeks like this offer me more hope than weeks of rbn reissues and rewinds and artists I’ve never heard of. I worry about the day when chart topping hits are considered budgetarily unattainable.
    This. Even though I may not be a fan of all their songs, I like that popular bands like Imagine Dragons and Maroon 5 are willing to put their music in the game. I'm glad HMX is able to go back to certain bands and get them back in the game.
  • Never heard them before, but I like both songs. As a singer they seem like they'll be fun.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    edited November 27
    In a perspective of a vocalist, I like the songs and they'll be alright to sing. But in the perspective of an instrument player, these are songs I would probably skip due to how boring they are to play instrument-wise.

Regardless, I will be buying both songs. I hope HMX has better DLC choices that's fun on ALL instruments for the upcoming weeks.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I guess the upside is since this is week 1, my crew can still probably get promoted even without buying the spotlight.

That reminds me, does this season have any kind of theme? There was that Twitter contest about "party season," idk if that has anything to do with it.
  • Well, if you can't say anything nice...
  • Can't lie... I was hoping for much better, but not surprised. Very much no for me. Skipping the pass this time too, got burned too bad last season.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited November 28
    "Licensing is hard" and sometimes even litigious. If HMX could share information about specific tracks becoming available, someday, they would. If they haven't [even if you have decided, "this song is definitely coming", because of previous leaks, or statements made years ago about, "we hope to get all of the songs from this other game into RB as DLC, someday"], it's because they can't.

The songs this week? I totally understand their strategy of offering "Karaoke Band" type songs, and with them offering "modern hits" in general. I'm probably not buying these two songs right away, but I don't expect to be deciding on whether or not I buy the Spotlight Pass until at least week 3, when I expect that promoting in Rivals will starts to become somewhat difficult.

If the Spotlight Song in Week 2 turns out to be a must-buy for me, then I'll be put into a real conundrum. Do it HMX, I dare you!
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star

Can't lie... I was hoping for much better, but not surprised. Very much no for me. Skipping the pass this time too, got burned too bad last season.

It's too soon to tell if this pass will be as bad as last seasons'. I'm taking a break from Rivals so i'll give it a few weeks and see if the pass is worth buying or not. It'll take some doing to be any worse than it was last season!
  • Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    Graffin said:

Can't lie... I was hoping for much better, but not surprised. Very much no for me. Skipping the pass this time too, got burned too bad last season.

It's too soon to tell if this pass will be as bad as last seasons'. I'm taking a break from Rivals so i'll give it a few weeks and see if the pass is worth buying or not. It'll take some doing to be any worse than it was last season!
    Still have no idea why people think last season's pass was bad. I loved a decent portion of it and added two songs to my 'all-time favourites' list in Three Lives and When The Curtain Falls.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Runa216 said:

Graffin said:

Still have no idea why people think last season's pass was bad. I loved a decent portion of it and added two songs to my 'all-time favourites' list in Three Lives and When The Curtain Falls.
    I think it's a combination of getting rehashed RBN content plus current 2018 hits people may be less familiar with. I think part of what saves it though is it's the biggest pack.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 28
    Runa216 said:

Graffin said:

It's my favourite spotlight pass so far but I do understand. It's the old vs. new debate which has happened before (particularly the early RB4 era), look at the year distribution:

Season 2

Season 3

Season 4
    1989 (bonus)
    1974 (bonus)

Season 5

Season 8
    2007 (RBN)
    2008 (RBN)
    1999 (RBN)

• Here's the start of Season 9 by the way.
  • Runa216 said:

Graffin said:

Pretty simple... there are very few songs in it that I will ever play again. When The Curtain Falls is amazing for sure. But the pass just wasnt even remotely close to worth it for me. It also had a few I never even downloaded because I dont like the songs AT ALL. It was like 1/4 songs I will play again, 1/4 songs I like but wont play again, and the rest I'll never touch.
  • DLC is up on XB1, some interesting info about the spotlight pass:
    - 11 songs
    - Natural is part of the spotlight pass despite not being spotlight this week (maybe it's spotlight in a later week?)