December 2018 Prediction Thread: Have a Holly Jolly DLChristmas

Comments

• There are plenty of songs that people of a certain age would know and like because they were huge on MTV. They frequently didn't chart at all on Billboard or if they did, charted really low.

Back in my day, early 80's and on, people watched MTV more than listened to the radio. Even my mother liked to listen to MTV.

The discrepancies between radio and MTV were even more pronounced when MTV first came on. Videos weren't a big thing yet, so MTV played whatever new ones were available. And that ended up being a lot of obscure bands from England. A video being made for a popular song was very uncommon until MTV reached a lot of cable systems and became popular.

In fact you can hear the remnants of this time in the Dire Straits song Money For Nothing. In the background vocals you can hear Sting singing: I want my, I want my, I want my MTV. That was a big campaign MTV had. getting people to bother their cable companies to carry MTV. I remember I was pissed that it took us about a year before my cable company started to carry MTV.
  • "Number of recent Spotify plays" gives a great view of how well a song might sell today
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited December 2018
    KidSleez said:

My predictions given we know 25% off sales exist in Season 9:

12/20 - 80s
    Skid Row - "Youth Gone Wild" (spotlight pass)
    David Bowie - "Let's Dance" (rewind)

12/27 - More 2018
    Twenty One Pilots - "Jumpsuit" (spotlight pass) [25% off for first 2 weeks of sale]
    Panic! At the Disco - "High Hopes" (spotlight pass) [25% off for first 2 weeks of sale]

I do find it odd that we didn't get Youth Gone Wild (yet?), considering the other 2 Skid Row songs we got, which is now almost a year ago. I know that 2 songs a week is supposedly the right recipe for sales success (although 18 and Life and I Remember You were in separate weeks), but I think if we were gonna get Youth Gone Wild, it would've made more sense to complete a Skid Row 3 pack, and now I fear we're never getting it.
    Youth Gone Wild is the only Skid Row song I want. I never picked up the other two.
  • We may get both DLC weeks revealed tomorrow. Last year had hints for the New Years DLC that only had 1 realistic solution and the year before had the New Years DLC specifically announced early.

Yeah, that's possible because isn't the HMX office closing for a holiday break soon?
  • edited December 2018
    djb5f1 said:

This week we get Classic Rock 3-pack, with Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride, Kinks - Lola, and a rewind.

Next week is also announced with a 90’s alternative 3-pack with Candlebox - Far Behind, Cracker - Low and a rewind.

Fixed That For You. ;)
  • djb5f1 said:

This week we get Classic Rock 3-pack, with Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride, Kinks - Lola, and a rewind.

Next week is also announced with a 90’s alternative 3-pack with Meat Puppets - Back Water, Cracker- Low, and Candlebox - Far Behind.

Fixed that for you.

And boy would this be a great way to end the year!

• Oops. Check again, best of both worlds!
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I can't see us getting another Classic Rock pack after getting Heart two weeks ago. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
  • tdc002 said:

I can't see us getting another Classic Rock pack after getting Heart two weeks ago. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Well, they now play early 00s Green Day on the classic rock station, so could depend on your defiition of “classic”
  • djb5f1 said:

Next week is also announced with a 90’s alternative 3-pack with Meat Puppets - Back Water, Candlebox - Far Behind, and Cracker - Low.

Those would be two of the best weeks of the year, but I know that we're unlikely to get anything close to that. Oh reality, how harsh you can be.
  • I got to play "Low" on GH:TV (I played for like 5 hours right before it went away forever). That game was a great way to be reminded of classic videos / to be able to watch videos I had never seen before. Apparently Sandra Bernhard was encouraged to make solid contact in the boxing ring and David Lowery's face was all puffy afterwards.

• This week's DLC is the Third Eye Blind 2009 re-records.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited December 2018
    I wonder if they're going to go the "biggest songs" route next week:

Andrew W.K. - "Ready to Die" or "She is Beautiful"
    Barns Courtney - "Glitter and Gold" or "Fire"

...or the "new singles" route:

Andrew W.K. - "Ever Again" or "Music is Worth Living For"
    Barns Courtney - ""99""
  • TheStuddz said:

Barns Courtney - ""99""

I almost want to guess it's new singles. Time to get my revenge Studdz. Which do you choose? :D
  • I would really hope it is the more popular songs... I did not even know Andrew W.K. made more than one album
  • TheStuddz said:

Barns Courtney - ""99""

I almost want to guess it's new singles. Time to get my revenge Studdz. Which do you choose? :D
    I'm assuming it's new singles too, but I'll go for biggest songs, just to give you a chance to tie things up. Guess we'll find out on Thursday!
  • TheStuddz said:

TheStuddz said:

Barns Courtney - ""99""

I'm assuming it's new singles too, but I'll go for biggest songs, just to give you a chance to tie things up. Guess we'll find out on Thursday!
    Probably tomorrow because of SIEE time zones. Weird not to announce at the same time given releasing the same day but having a DLC week with 3 spotlight pass songs for example may confuse people.
  • @Dangimarocker New singles indeed! You've been redeemed.
  • @TheStuddz we will see who takes the crown next month! :D
  • Well, I guess if all of this year's DLC has been unveiled...on to the next!