DLC Discussion Thread: Kane Brown and Old Dominion!

HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 12/13: Kane Brown and Old Dominion!

A pair of Rock Band debuts from Kane Brown and Old Dominion has us feeling a little bit country this week in Rock Band 4!

“Lose It” marks Kane Brown’s first song in Rock Band, and what a debut it is. The lead single off his chart-topping 2018 album, Experiment, “Lose It” features an up-tempo drum chart and some killer vocals. The guitar chart is unique in that it features banjo, fiddle, and guitar so it’s constantly keeping you on your toes. Experiment was released just last month and debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, so check it out if you haven’t already and get ready to “Lose It” on December 13.
Head on over to kanebrownmusic.com to check out Experiment and see what brought it to the top of the charts, pick up some merch, and see where he'll be touring. He’s got dates slated well into 2019, so don’t miss out!

Our other debut this week is “Hotel Key”, an ode to romantic mementos courtesy of Old Dominion. “Hotel Key” was the third single off Old Dominion’s sophomore album, Happy Endings. The album debuted at No. 1 on Top Country Albums and No. 7 on the Billboard 200 while “Hotel Key” was destined to become the band’s FIFTH number one single on the Country Airplay chart. The song features a fun mix of country-funk strumming at the choruses and single-note riffs during the verses on guitar while the drums keep you on your toes with some fills that feature ghost notes.
Spend some time on olddominionband.com this week and watch the video for "Hotel Key" from Happy Endings. While there, you can hear their latest single "Make It Sweet" and find upcoming tour dates for their 2019 U.S. tour! It’s gonna be a great time.

For the first two weeks of release, songs can be purchased individually for $1.49. Following that two week period, songs can be purchased individually for $1.99. The Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $14.99.

• Kane Brown - "Lose It" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass)
  • Old Dominion - "Hotel Key" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass)

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, December 13th.

Comments

• Makes my decision to cherry pick Crazy on You out of the pass easier ;)
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited December 2018
    Hmm. Not my thing. Maybe better than some other stuff we've been getting? But not quite for me. I have some country-loving family members, but I'm not sure if these are acts that any of them listen to. Maybe Old Dominion, but only song I know by them is "Break Up With Him".

Not really up to the standard of past Decembers, and definitely a dip in quality after last week (but of course it was going to be).
  • Two country songs in one spotlight pass... this definitely lowers my rating of this spotlight pass
  • I'm fine with this. Doesn't move the needle the slightest on whether I'll buy the spotlight pass or not, though.
  • The previews sound fine but damn I thought the holidays would increase the DLC quantity, not decrease. This may be the first December in RB history with less than 10 songs.
  • razor63 said:

I'm fine with this. Doesn't move the needle the slightest on whether I'll buy the spotlight pass or not, though.

Pretty much the same for me. Heart's a good shout, Maroon 5 really isn't and this is slap bang in the middle of okay.
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    Well, there goes that momentum...
  • randracrandrac Opening Act
    Glad for new music instead of RBN or Rewinds but not familiar with these songs/bands. I have very limited tastes when it comes to country.
  • Not my thing. I'll just play last week's Heart DLC some more!
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited December 2018
    Brand new songs, that's more exciting to me than "top 100 RBN songs". Will listen to these later.

("top 100" = "came out when RBN was popular", I disagree in general that these are the best songs / the songs that would sell the best if offered today)
  • I like Country and am happy that we got some. But I don't thing it is good idea that we got two country songs in the same Spotlight pass. Also don't think these are among the best Country songs we could have gotten. But they are not terrible.

Would have loved to have had Florida Georgia Line & Bebe Rexha doing their record breaking hit, Meant To Be. We could really use more duets in Rock Band. And even non Country people will know this song.
  • TheStuddz said:

Would have loved to have had Florida Georgia Line & Bebe Rexha doing their record breaking hit, Meant To Be. We could really use more duets in Rock Band. And even non Country people will know this song.

Don't you EVER wish any Florida Georgia Line on us ever again!!!
    AT LAST! A thing we can agree is utterly terrible!
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited December 2018
    (shrug) not for me but not entirely unexpected. That they're holding to genre coverage and not just abandoning niche genres is, to me, a good thing. Means more hope for niches like the ones I like to get visited. Alt-folk plz. (srsly, as bad as last season's pass was, it hit my main niches hard with Chvrches and Coheed).

I wasn't going to buy it in any case but the guitar chart on "Lose It" looks like a real missed opportunity - the plucked banjo line I hear in the verse seems like it would make for a far more interesting chart than the guitar part they charted.
  • Vexus said:

TheStuddz said:

Don't you EVER wish any Florida Georgia Line on us ever again!!!
    AT LAST! A thing we can agree is utterly terrible!
    Truly the epitome of awful country-pop. Nasal as heck, and not the least bit interesting.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited December 2018
    So does this mean we'll have "Little White Church" in the Spotlight again? Have any of the free Rivals songs been country? I can't remember.

Edit: Oh, could also be "Start a Band"! Forgot about that one!
  • TheStuddz said:

So does this mean we'll have "Little White Church" in the Spotlight yet again? Have any of the free Rivals songs been country? I can't remember.

Maybe there will be a surprise 3rd DLC release and we will get Rolling Stones Wild Horses or Far Away Eyes those are close to country.
  • ok then...
  • TheStuddz said:

So does this mean we'll have "Little White Church" in the Spotlight again? Have any of the free Rivals songs been country? I can't remember.

Edit: Oh, could also be "Start a Band"! Forgot about that one!

Could have a few overlapping genres like blues and southern rock, which adds Caught Up In You, Mainstream Kid and That Smell as options.
  • Well, that's a hard nope to this week and the spotlight pass as well.

Will play those couple of Johnny Cash songs I haven't touched yet instead.