DLC Discussion Thread: Kane Brown and Old Dominion!

Comments

• Not the first time I'll be buying songs from artists that I have never heard of before. :)
    Thank You @Harmonix <3
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited December 2018

I like to see variety in DLC. More country songs? Sure! Classic stuff, made by artists I've heard of, whether they be country rebels or popular crossover stars, or singer / songwriters. Anything that is considered among the best of the genre, WHATEVER the genre, I'm all for it

This is 100% my stance. I love getting a wide range of genres and music, but I like stuff with staying power.

I was happy when we got "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy", because not only was it fun to play, but it has also proven its own staying power. These songs are brand new, so they could stand the test of time, or they could fade away. They might not even be remembered among these bands' discographies, let alone among all of country.

If HMX is getting these new pop and country songs at a reduced price as a promotional tactic for the record companies, that's one thing. But if not, I'd much rather we got songs that are great long-term additions to the library. Not a flash-in-the-pan single that people generally won't remember a few years down the road. Both of these artists have bigger tracks.
  • TheStuddz said:

If HMX is getting these new pop and country songs at a reduced price as a promotional tactic for the record companies, that's one thing. But if not, I'd much rather we got songs that are great long-term additions to the library. Not a flash-in-the-pan single that people generally won't remember a few years down the road. Both of these artists have bigger tracks.

This has basically been my problem with some of the recent DLC from "pop" bands:
    Imagine Dragons
    The 1975
    Young the Giant
    Chvrches
    Maroon 5

All of these bands I like. All of these bands got a song (or two) in RB that I really wish was one of their popular singles rather than something they just released. I dislike new Imagine Dragons. Old Young the Giant is so much better than their new stuff (sorry) and The 1975 have one song that hit more mainstream audiences than anything else they have released (The Sound).
    The Chvrches song has grown on me and Girls Like You has me hooked right now (my guilty pleasure is Maroon 5) so that's nice, but I still would rather have had Mother We Share or Payphone/Maps/She Will be Loved/any other number of Maroon 5 songs.

The beginning of this year had a TON of great, popular singles from bands. I forgot how many until I looked at this list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_downloadable_songs_for_the_Rock_Band_series
    I hope the beginning of 2019 starts off as good as 2018 did.
  • TheStuddz said:

This has basically been my problem with some of the recent DLC from "pop" bands:
    Imagine Dragons
    The 1975
    Young the Giant
    Chvrches
    Maroon 5

All of these bands I like. All of these bands got a song (or two) in RB that I really wish was one of their popular singles rather than something they just released. I dislike new Imagine Dragons. Old Young the Giant is so much better than their new stuff (sorry) and The 1975 have one song that hit more mainstream audiences than anything else they have released (The Sound).
    The Chvrches song has grown on me and Girls Like You has me hooked right now (my guilty pleasure is Maroon 5) so that's nice, but I still would rather have had Mother We Share or Payphone/Maps/She Will be Loved/any other number of Maroon 5 songs.

The beginning of this year had a TON of great, popular singles from bands. I forgot how many until I looked at this list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_downloadable_songs_for_the_Rock_Band_series
    For the 1975, I never heard The Sound. But i did here Love Me here lots. Guess it depends on radio stations willingly allowing to play certain singles.
    But we do need The Sound, Love Me, and maybe another song in a pack by them.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited December 2018

I took January - April 2018 (as well as past years of similar quality) for granted. I thought it was the new standard, and it would stay that way forever. Two pretty good songs a week. There's no reason this will stop any time soon, right? I was wrong. I was spoiled.
  • I don’t know if it is a recency thing or just what an artist wants to offer.

Thinking of all the songs we could have gotten (and can still get, hint hint) from Jethro Tull, I would have never guessed Hymn 43 as the lone piece of DLC.
  • TheStuddz said:

Imagine Dragons
    The 1975
    Young the Giant
    Chvrches
    Maroon 5

For the 1975, I never heard The Sound. But i did here Love Me here lots. Guess it depends on radio stations willingly allowing to play certain singles.
    But we do need The Sound, Love Me, and maybe another song in a pack by them.
    The 1975 songs that I heard a lot were "Chocolate", "Sex", "Girls", "The Sound" and "Love Me". By the time they started releasing new singles for their third album, I wasn't as tuned in to alt stations as I once was (as most of it now sounds more like pop than ever), so that might be why I'm more biased towards the older stuff.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited December 2018
    I heard The Sound the most via Forza Horizon 3, Vagrant Records and Epitaph Records were fantastic stations in that game. The latter I imagine is what RBN would've looked like if it didn't shut down in 2013.
  • edited December 2018
    djb5f1 said:

I don’t know if it is a recency thing or just what an artist wants to offer.

Thinking of all the songs we could have gotten (and can still get, hint hint) from Jethro Tull, I would have never guessed Hymn 43 as the lone piece of DLC.

Agreed, we need more from them. However, Aqualung hasn't even been rewound yet so perhaps it's tougher/more expensive we can imagine. Well, we did get another song from Bad Company this year who also hasn't appeared for a long time and doesn't have many songs on the platform.
  • The challenge is called "potluck", but I'm hoping it's just all country.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    The Spotlight songs sure suggest Country, but those descriptions are super vague.
  • Since it is called Potluck, I would think it probably includes some other things. I would think Southern Rock would be in there too. And maybe some more....
  • Seriously, how many times will we have to play Start a Band as spotlight! Every country challenge had it as spotlight! I'm starting to lose interest in these challenges, it seems to be the same setlists re-used every once in a while...
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

Since it is called Potluck, I would think it probably includes some other things. I would think Southern Rock would be in there too. And maybe some more....

The last time there was a Country challenge, it also included Blues and Southern Rock, IIRC.
  • patl175 said:

Seriously, how many times will we have to play Start a Band as spotlight! Every country challenge had it as spotlight! I'm starting to lose interest in these challenges, it seems to be the same setlists re-used every once in a while...

I just let my crewmates play the disc songs now. I'm so tired of most of them LOL.
  • Both songs are available on XB1 (ready to install for spotlight pass owners and purchasable for everyone else).
  • Tne challenge better be more than country or I'm gonna be able to play all my songs in a single night...

Country makes up like 1% of my library.

I'll be ok if they add southern rock and blues again though....
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

Since it is called Potluck, I would think it probably includes some other things. I would think Southern Rock would be in there too. And maybe some more....

The last time there was a Country challenge, it also included Blues and Southern Rock, IIRC.
    Yeah but the last time there was a country challenge they were attempting to have full genre coverage over the course of the season. They felt they needed to beef up tht week and they had genres looking for a home.

They don’t seem to particularly care about beefing up weeks anymore - there have been plenty of thin ones - and aren’t aiming for full spread genre coverage this season.
  • The songs are now up for PS NA users.
    (at least on the webstore. I never use the console store so not sure on that front)
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited December 2018
    Quantity has dropped this challenge, only 157 songs (158 if counting both versions of Fortunate Son). Country, Southern Rock and some other DLC like Band of Horses.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited December 2018
    Kane Brown's guitar chart is actually fun. Didn't enjoy the other song too much.
  • I won't buy these as the primary user of my PS4, I am not a fan of the newer country,I like the 90's country. But I do have family that likes this so if they want to sing them ,I'll buy them. It is really great we have been given this forum to throw out our negative as well as positive opinions, I just have this hopefully unwarranted fear that the production and release of new material will just be stopped because I had a negative opinion. I am up to a little over 100 songs purchased, and if I had 1400 more green back's laying around ,would add 700 songs right now