DLC Discussion Thread: Andrew W.K. and Barns Courtney!

edited January 2 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 12/27: Andrew W.K. and Barns Courtney!

No matter what side of the pond you come from, rock out this week with new DLC from Andrew W.K. and Barns Courtney!

The partiest dude in music returns to Rock Band just in time for the partiest time of the year! Andrew W.K. latest album You’re Not Alone released earlier this year and we’d be remiss if we didn’t add debut single “Music Is Worth Living For” to the Rock Band library. You’re Not Alone is another hit for Andrew W.K., with a top 10 performance on the Billboard Top Hard Rock Albums chart. Partying never dies. “Music Is Worth Living For” comes at you with tons of energy, which shows itself in its instrumentation. Drummers will find themselves with endless kicks, so make sure you’ve got the energy. The vocals are packed, with gang vocals and tight harmonies wall-to-wall, especially so in the choruses.
Hop over to http://www.andrewwk.com/ and pick up your very own holiday party sweater, then immerse yourself in everything you need from Andrew W.K.’s career. He’s got interviews, television performances, live shows, music videos. The whole site is a massive archive, check it out!

We’ve also got “”99”” from Barns Courtney to keep the energy high. The song, off his untitled, upcoming second album, has already left a mark as a top 20 hit on both Billboard’s Adult Album Alternative and Alternative Songs charts. It’s an excellent sign of what to expect next from Barns Courtney. The bridge of the song will surprise guitarists, with a quick solo-like part that can catch you off guard. If you drum, you’ll find a very unique chart in “”99””, with a bunch of uncommon playing.
If you check out https://www.barnscourtney.com/ you can see everything from great Instagram pictures to upcoming live shows; he’s kicking off US stops in February. You can also stream or purchase The Attractions of Youth while you wait for more songs from his second album.

For the first two weeks of release, songs can be purchased individually for $1.49. Following that two week period, songs can be purchased individually for $1.99. The Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $14.99.

• Andrew W.K. - "Music Is Worth Living For" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass)
  • Barns Courtney - ""99"" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass)

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks are already available for all players! Enjoy your holidays.

Comments

• "99" is decent, but not life-changing. The W.K. track isn't really up my alley, as I find it almost borders on novelty. I'd rather have gotten "Ever Again" if we had to get a new single from him.

Sorry I'm so pessimistic. Merry Christmas everyone!
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Barns Courtney ain’t for me

I love most Andrew WK with all my heart, but his newest album disappointed me so this track is just okay. Still a purchase, but knowing this passed over the likes of “She is Beautiful”, “I Love Music”, “The Moving Room” and “We Want Fun” does sting a bit.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Like and enjoy playing them both. Bigger fan of the BC, but surprised at how fun the AWK is since I was never a huge fan of Party Hard.
  • Will we have dlc announced early for next week since it'll be new year's Eve? I've had this dlc since its out and i like Andrew WK, Barns is not the one i would have picked but i get that they promote new songs, still, i got them both cuz i have the spotlight pass
  • I love "Music Is Worth Living For." Even though it has keyboards it still rocks pretty hard.
  • Andrew WK has improved. At least his music sounds creative now and not identical every song. With that said I’m happy to own his song for free.

The other song is very meh and would have not bought it
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Congratulations to Barns Courtney for making it to Rock Band.
  • The 99 song doesn't sound too bad but that other one I wouldn't want if it was free.
  • Andrew W. K. I haven't seen his music as DLC for awhile. Barns don't really care for.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Hopefully we get awesome DLC for New Years Eve like last year!
  • Eh... I already roasted 99 and fanboyed over Music Is Worth Living For in the season pass comparison thread.

Ah well, I'm still happy that my first DLC wishlist song is now in the game! :)

• Hopefully we get awesome DLC for New Years Eve like last year!

This is the New Years dlc
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited December 2018
    Fischurr (a hmx rep) said in Reddit, when asked,
    “When will the New Years songs be announced”
    He answered
    “January 1st. They're good songs.”

I’m not sure what to make of that. Jan 1 is a holiday so there’ll be no one in the office and they don’t usually do announcements on holidays. ‘New Years songs’ is usually a reference to songs they release that can be played at New Years parties but Jan 1 would be a little late for that. I was hoping that week’s music release that would normally come out Jan 3 would get rushed to Dec 31 to be available in advance if New Years parties but that seems unlikely.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited December 2018
    The December prediction thread hasn't been locked so the December 31st theory may be right. We found out about 99 and Music is Worth Living For being DLC on December 19th/20th (time zones dependent) so there may have been time to lock the thread if those 2 songs were the last content of the year.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

He answered

I’m not sure what to make of that. Jan 1 is a holiday so there’ll be no one in the office and they don’t usually do announcements on holidays. ‘New Years songs’ is usually a reference to songs they release that can be played at New Years parties but Jan 1 would be a little late for that. I was hoping that week’s music release that would normally come out Jan 3 would get rushed to Dec 31 to be available in advance if New Years parties but that seems unlikely.

well, they asked about the New Year's songs, not the New Year's Eve songs... those songs will be released in the new year, making them the new year's songs.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    The capitalization of New Year strongly implies the holiday. If they were just talking about the first song of the upcoming ‘new’ year it wouldn’t be capitalized, and to reply as though that was what was being asked about would be pretty disingenuous.
  • Both songs are good but not great. I would buy them if they were not already in the Season pass
  • VolTRH said:

I first heard "Music Is Worth Living For" at an Andrew W.K. concert over the summer, and it was an incredible experience. The band had so much energy and just rocked their souls out. The atmosphere of the show really elevated the song, and I just got lost in the moment. I'm going to love playing it in Rock Band.

I had the same experience, saw his tour while in Austin. Where did you see him?
  • Can we get that shirt added into the game?

HMX pls.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

He answered

Technically, January 1st isn't actually a holiday, even though most offices close for it.

Either way, even if Harmonix is out of the office, they can easily schedule the DLC announcement to publish that day, or just do it remotely. They're probably back in office on Wednesday (1/3) anyway.
  • No, New Year's Day is one of the 6 paid federal holidays.
  • VolTRHVolTRH Opening Act

VolTRH said:

I first heard "Music Is Worth Living For" at an Andrew W.K. concert over the summer, and it was an incredible experience. The band had so much energy and just rocked their souls out. The atmosphere of the show really elevated the song, and I just got lost in the moment. I'm going to love playing it in Rock Band.

I had the same experience, saw his tour while in Austin. Where did you see him?
    Rocklahoma back in May. He was definitely a top 3 act of the event for me.
  • Never heard these two. They are meh for me.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Since I don’t play RB guitar very often, I’m not very good at it, but, for me, the chord strumming songs like Barns Courtney’s ”99” are the most fun and best simulation of real guitar playing you can get using a 5-button plastic controller.

Plan on practicing it a little bit at least to try and GS it... brought back some of the original joy I had when first playing GH before drums became a thing and sucked up all my time.

Any recommendations/ advice for similar type songs in the catalog?
  • BachiG said:

Since I don’t play RB guitar very often, I’m not very good at it, but, for me, the chord strumming songs like Barns Courtney’s ”99” are the most fun and best simulation of real guitar playing you can get using a 5-button plastic controller.

Plan on practicing it a little bit at least to try and GS it... brought back some of the original joy I had when first playing GH before drums became a thing and sucked up all my time.

Any recommendations/ advice for similar type songs in the catalog?

I'm not great at guitar either, but I agree that 99 is a good approximation of real guitar strumming and a fun chart, at least for me. The chords change enough so it's not easy, but it's not too hard that I facetiously vow to never play it on Expert again :) This is particularly meaningful to me because I hate dropping down to Hard on anything other than songs with ridiculous solos because the Hard charts are too easy on songs like 99 and therefore not fun for me.

I'll have to think about songs with similarly fun/realistic charts.