DLC Discussion Thread: Metal New Year!

HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 1/03: Slayer and Megadeth!

Challenge yourself with DLC from Megadeth and Slayer in Rock Band 4!

Off Megadeth’s Peace Sells… but Who’s Buying? comes “Peace Sells”, one of the highlights from the Rock Band 2 disc soundtrack. It’s hailed as one of the greatest metal songs of all time, shown in its near-perfect track record at Megadeth shows over the last 30 years. From David Ellefson’s bassline to Dave Mustaine’s unmistakable vocals, the song is excellent for all players. Guitarists will head into a challenging first solo, but when it’s over, it goes right into a fast stretch, where the whole band is tested. The kick pattern during the second guitar solo will require proficiency, and a third guitar solo sees things out, assuming you make it through.

Just when you thought things couldn’t get any heavier, we’re also adding another Slayer song to the Rock Band 4 library! From the influential ‘80s album Reign in Blood, “Angel of Death” is one of the band’s most loved songs and a highlight of an amazing album. To call it the perfect song for players looking for a challenge is an understatement. Every instrument is super fast, drums have a kick-heavy solo near the end just to make you work for it, the guitar solo has quite the chart that will take more than a little practicing. The bassline sometimes mirrors the guitar, and sometimes plays an incredibly fast series of strums. Get ready.

Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99. The Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $14.99.

• Megadeth - "Peace Sells" (Rock Band 2 Rewind)
  • Slayer - "Angel of Death" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass)

* Please note that these DLC tracks will be available on Thursday, January 3rd for Xbox and Sony America. These DLC tracks will be available on Friday, January 4th for Sony Europe.

Comments

• Grumble was right.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    2019 just started out full throttle!
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    Whoever guessed both Megadeth AND a rewind wins a cigar!*

*Not a real cigar
  • Good to finally have Peace Sells back... Was kinda annoying to be missing the title track.

I like Angel of Death but pretty sure I won't enjoy playing it... Ouch.
  • Not a fan of Thrash metal, though it is good that people can now finish that Megadeth album if they never played RB2
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited January 2
    Another album complete for everyone thanks to the release of a rewind, hopefully Ten is next for completion.

Angel of Death would've been a better DLC release at a time when the instruments situation was better. With at least a full year of DLC confirmed for RB4's future, the potential outcome of being left with vocals only or quit playing due to broken instruments with no replacements means this song won't be played much. Just got to keep hoping for a better instruments situation and standard controller mode I guess.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    Great start to the year! But like Grumble said, we need an update on the instrument front.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited January 2
    Not a thrash metal guy myself (I can listen to it to some degree, but in Rock Band I'll pass), but I already own one of these and will be getting the other from the Spotlight Pass, so. Happy for the fans!
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    I’m happy for non-exporters being able to finish an album they bought the rest of. I know there are a few albums with one export-only song that people really wanted to be able to finish.

I hardly ever play devil-dot metal songs anymore, so Slayer is a pass for me, and Peace Sells will most likely continue to be an unplayed resident in my RB4 library.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I don't play many songs on guitar on expert, so no big deal to me if we get a song that is Way Too Complicated For Me To Even Contemplate Playing On Expert. But I fully anticipate that the whole song will get quiet every time I fail to play a note. Which will be "several or many times, every time I pick this song, maybe even when I play on Medium".

[I played a bunch of songs this past week and every single time this happened I would flinch, or pull a face, or just sigh.]

But do I like Slayer? In general? Yeah, I kinda do.
    Do I regret buying the Spotlight Pass? Not even a little bit.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Definitely getting Angel of Death, I’m VERY excited to have something that heavy and that i enjoy, it’s been ages. Peace Sells rules also even though i already have it

I hope this isn’t like last year where my favorite track of the year (I Remember You) is released right in the beginning and nothing can top it.
  • Another album complete for everyone thanks to the release of a rewind, hopefully Ten is next for completion.

I know they kinda did that with Blood Sugar Sex Magik back in the day by putting Give It Away on Blitz (even though they weren't calling them rewinds at the time and the source in RB3 for it is listed as DLC rather than RB2). Remind me - did they do that with any other albums?

I can think of a couple they could still do it for aside from Ten - Legend (thanks to Get Up, Stand Up being in RB3), the almost full version of Nevermind (not quite the full album since Come As You Are and Lithium are live tracks and not every song is in a single pack, but In Bloom and Drain You are in RB1 and 2 and haven't been rewound as far as I know), and Imagine (title track's in RB3). Then again if we're counting Nevermind as otherwise completed due to live tracks, I guess we have to count Ten as well?

Incidentally, I wonder whom amongst us here would be willing to purchase ownership of the Megadeth track but didn't get it from the Rock Band 2 export?
  • Peace Sells is a great song, and if I didn’t already have it from the export, I’d be stoked to see it.

Slayer is less exciting to me than, say, more Megadeth songs off of Countdown to Extinction would be, but the song looks like it may be worth picking up anyway.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    Oh well, i guess my crew won't reach bloodstone this week lol but i'm happy to see that harmonix is still able to get these big names in rb (not that we didn't get anything big lately, Heart was one of my favorite dlc in a long time)
  • Vexus said:

Another album complete for everyone thanks to the release of a rewind, hopefully Ten is next for completion.

I know they kinda did that with Blood Sugar Sex Magik back in the day by putting Give It Away on Blitz (even though they weren't calling them rewinds at the time and the source in RB3 for it is listed as DLC rather than RB2). Remind me - did they do that with any other albums?

I can think of a couple they could still do it for aside from Ten - Legend (thanks to Get Up, Stand Up being in RB3), the almost full version of Nevermind (not quite the full album since Come As You Are and Lithium are live tracks and not every song is in a single pack, but In Bloom and Drain You are in RB1 and 2 and haven't been rewound as far as I know), and Imagine (title track's in RB3). Then again if we're counting Nevermind as otherwise completed due to live tracks, I guess we have to count Ten as well?

Incidentally, I wonder whom amongst us here would be willing to purchase ownership of the Megadeth track but didn't get it from the Rock Band 2 export?
    I don't have the RB2 export and I'll be picking up Peace Sells since I like Megadeth. Slayer, on the other hand...well, it's sitting in my Ready to Install, but I'm not ready to install :p
  • I'm happy about this.

I'm really happy about this.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    I love "Peace Sells" but of course I already own it from the export, Slayer is a pass from me but I'm happy to see bigger non-pop names supporting the platform.

So a pass for me this week, but I'm fine with that, I still need to pick up those Heart and 3EB tracks from last month.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited January 2
    Vexus said:

Nothing really like the Give It Away situation and the only completed albums in the RB4 era so far are The Colour and the Shape and now Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?.

As for ones left, there's some:
    - Boston (Foreplay/Long Time) - Let Me Take You Home Tonight missing
    - Nevermind (In Bloom and Drain You) - Lithium and Come As You Are are live versions
    - Ten (Alive) - Live version of Alive available as DLC but studio version appeared in RBVR
    - Nothing's Shocking (Mountain Song)
    - Chinese Democracy (Shackler's Revenge) - Chinese Democracy and Scraped are delisted
    - Are You Experienced (Fire) - Live versions of Fire and Hey Joe in the album pack, got bonus tracks Highway Chile and Stone Free but I Don't Live Today missing
    - Back From the Dead (Short and Sweet) - All Spinal Tap DLC delisted
    - Legend (Get Up, Stand Up)
    - Imagine (Imagine)

• Wasn't the reason we got the live versions of Lithium and Come As You Are due to the destruction of the master recordings (and thus stems) or did I just dream (well, have a nightmare about) that?
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Good thing this isn't week 8. Even though I can't play devil, I'm okay with having Slayer in the pass.
  • randracrandrac Opening Act
    I think I will pass on any future passes. They lured me in with Heart. Not been impressed with anything since. Not a fan of thrash metal or Slayer.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Does this Slayer song qualify as "big"? Yep. Don't "at" me.
    Megadeth is even bigger ... but that song is not part of the Spotlight Pass, and Rewinds aren't actually new to RB, so ...

it's complicated.

Are iconic metal songs beloved by just about everyone that plays Rock Band. Well, actually, no. Sometimes not even by the people who love metal ... if it's not the right kind of metal.
    Should you buy the Spotlight Pass if you aren't 100% obsessed with Rivals and "forced" by your crew to buy all of the Spotlight Songs? Well, maybe, if you love surprises, and being "forced" to buy random songs, and pretending that the Spotlight Pass is actually a Track Pack.
  • Nope.
  • Intros9Intros9 Unsigned
    Have the export of RB2, so no worries on the rewind.

Took a listen to the Slayer song - don't think I've heard that one since high school. Like others have mentioned, the devil-tier thrash/speed stuff almost never gets touched here, so it will likely be a pass.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act

Does this Slayer song qualify as "big"? Yep. Don't "at" me.
    Megadeth is even bigger ... but that song is not part of the Spotlight Pass, and Rewinds aren't actually new to RB, so ...

it's complicated.

Are iconic metal songs beloved by just about everyone that plays Rock Band. Well, actually, no. Sometimes not even by the people who love metal ... if it's not the right kind of metal.
    Should you buy the Spotlight Pass if you aren't 100% obsessed with Rivals and "forced" by your crew to buy all of the Spotlight Songs? Well, maybe, if you love surprises, and being "forced" to buy random songs, and pretending that the Spotlight Pass is actually a Track Pack.

Loved the idea of the passes but after the first several the value proposition just stopped being there, I went from wanting all but 1 or 2 in each pack to only wanting 2 or 3.
    I do hope they keep doing them though, it's good to have options.
  • ShvegaitShvegait Unsigned

Nothing really like the Give It Away situation and the only completed albums in the RB4 era so far are The Colour and the Shape and now Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?.

As for ones left, there's some:
    - Boston (Foreplay/Long Time) - Let Me Take You Home Tonight missing
    - Nevermind (In Bloom and Drain You) - Lithium and Come As You Are are live versions
    - Ten (Alive) - Live version of Alive available as DLC but studio version appeared in RBVR
    - Nothing's Shocking (Mountain Song)
    - Chinese Democracy (Shackler's Revenge) - Chinese Democracy and Scraped are delisted
    - Are You Experienced (Fire) - Live versions of Fire and Hey Joe in the album pack, got bonus tracks Highway Chile and Stone Free but I Don't Live Today missing
    - Back From the Dead (Short and Sweet) - All Spinal Tap DLC delisted
    - Legend (Get Up, Stand Up)
    - Imagine (Imagine)

One more: Doolittle (Wave of Mutliation)
  • randrac said:

I think I will pass on any future passes. They lured me in with Heart. Not been impressed with anything since. Not a fan of thrash metal or Slayer.

I gave up after the last season pass. I'll cherry pick for now on.