January 2019 DLC Prediction Thread: New Year, Same Predictions

We've made it to our fourth year of Rock Band 4! Not too shabby.

Comments

• TheStuddz said:

Not a prediction, but a wish: I hope that, if we continue to get pop music, they don't go for the most popular, but the most playable.

Things like the recent "Girls Like You"/"Natural" week are unfortunate, because the songs don't fit the game. They're a bore to play on everything but vocals.

A pop song that I always hoped we'd get was "Feels" by Calvin Harris (ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean). While I don't believe it topped the charts, it was certainly ON them, and got a good amount of play over the past year (I heard it on the radio just today, which is what made me think of it). It would have very engaging parts on guitar and bass, but would scratch the itch of pop fans and karaoke heads.

And when we got "Sorry Not Sorry" by Demi Lovato at the tail end of 2017 -- they could have tried to get us "Cool for the Summer" instead! It wasn't her big single at the time, sure, but it was still a huge hit for her a few years prior, and at least it features some prominent guitar!

We got a few modern pop tunes in 2018 that were decent to play ("Broken" and "Sober Up" weren't so bad), but the most recent pop week really demonstrated why going for the newest and the biggest isn't always the best. A song's popularity fades with time, but its playability is what will make it an enduring RB favourite.

Anyways, rant over. More fun pop music in 2019 please.

I agree about Broken and Sober Up. I liked those two and they have pretty fun guitar charts for pop songs.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    The Killers, Greta Van Fleet and Cage The Elephant are all releasing new albums in 2019 and The Strokes just announced their 2019 comeback tour, I'm really really really really hoping for DLC from all of them at some point.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited December 2018
    Alright, my predictions are these using the current trend of newer songs being in the spotlight pass and discounted with some RBN and rewinds filling in the rest.

1/3 - RBN
    Seether - "Remedy" (spotlight pass)
    Alien Ant Farm - "Movies"

1/10 - New songs
    Disturbed - "Are You Ready" (spotlight pass, 25% off for 2 weeks)
    Bring Me the Horizon - "Mantra" (spotlight pass, 25% off for 2 weeks)

1/17 - Sleeping With Sirens
    If You Can't Hang
    If I'm James Dean, You're Audrey Hepburn (spotlight pass)

1/24 - Nirvana
    In Bloom (rewind)
    Drain You (rewind)

1/31 - RBVR
    Against the Current - "Running With the Wild Things" (spotlight pass, 25% off for 2 weeks)
    The Starting Line - "Quitter" (spotlight pass, 25% off for 2 weeks)
  • Really hope we do get that Against the Current song and Remedy at aome point. Not holding my breath at this point but...
  • A Juliana Hatfield single
    Songs from the top of the Modern Rock charts from 2018
    A pony

Scratch that - I have no space or time for a pony - maybe a visit to a petting zoo featuring at least one capybara? Is that something HMX can arrange for all of us?
    OH and an envelope filled with almost one full ounce of Rock Band swag.

• GLaDOS said:

The Killers, Greta Van Fleet and Cage The Elephant are all releasing new albums in 2019 and The Strokes just announced their 2019 comeback tour, I'm really really really really hoping for DLC from all of them at some point.

I really need Read My Mind :(
  • If the pattern thus far holds, it will likely be:

1/3 - Rewinds or older material
    1/10 - 2017/2018 stuff

Guess we'll see in a week or so...
  • I wish a better DLC year than 2018. With more Classic Rock and Rock. And if we have to get pop, I would like TOP artists.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act

GLaDOS said:

Read My Mind, Jenny Was A Friend of Mine, For Reasons Unknown, Bones, Human, Runaways, The Man and Run for Cover should all be in Rock Band by now!
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    +Miss Atomic Bomb
    edited December 2018

Really hope we do get that Against the Current song and Remedy at aome point. Not holding my breath at this point but...

I was thinking that some popular RBN songs might be saved for the spotlight passes to help promote the newer songs. If DLC is going to stay being mostly songs from the past few years those big RBN songs like Remedy may be what it takes for more people to check out the new music.

A Juliana Hatfield single
    A pony

Scratch that - I have no space or time for a pony - maybe a visit to a petting zoo featuring at least one capybara? Is that something HMX can arrange for all of us?

It must be time for Imagine Dragons if that happens, Billboard announced the 10 top rock songs of the year and the top 5 is 4 Imagine Dragons songs and Feel It Still. Full list is:

1. Imagine Dragons - "Thunder"
    2. Portugal. The Man - "Feel It Still"
    3. Imagine Dragons - "Believer"
    4. Imagine Dragons - "Whatever It Takes"
    5. Imagine Dragons - "Natural"
    6. Foster the People - "Sit Next to Me"
    7. lovelytheband - "broken"
    8. Bad Wolves - "Zombie"
    9. Panic! At the Disco - "High Hopes"
    10. Weezer - "Africa"
  • GLaDOS said:

GLaDOS said:

Read My Mind, Jenny Was A Friend of Mine, For Reasons Unknown, Bones, Human, Runaways, The Man and Run for Cover should all be in Rock Band by now!
    I really liked Losing Touch (Guitar Hero DLC song) too.
    But that's a deep cut and seems less likely. But it had an awesome guitar solo in it.
  • Since we get a fair share of pop stuff these days, I kinda hope we get JoJo's hits like Get Out (Leave) and Too Little Too Late. She just re-recorded her first few albums because she didn't have the rights to the originals. Might be a nice tie-in to get the new versions in RB. At least both songs have prominent guitar parts. They would be nice challenges for vocalists too.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited December 2018

It must be time for Imagine Dragons if that happens, Billboard announced the 10 top rock songs of the year and the top 5 is 4 Imagine Dragons songs and Feel It Still. Full list is:

8. Bad Wolves - "Zombie"
    10. Weezer - "Africa"

The said part is that is what is being called Rock.

And I like Imagine Dragons, Panic at the Disco, and Weezer (don't know Bad wolves) so this isn't a knock on the acts themselves. Just the sad state Rock music is in.

Sidenote:
    Don't we have all 4 of those ID songs? I know we have Feel it Still and broken. Surprised we don't have Sit Next to Me and High Hopes yet, and Weezer's Africa for that matter.

Edit:
    Ah Bad Wolves' Zombie is that cover I heard. Didn't care for it. Not shocked it's ranked high though given the circumstances.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    I’d love to get both High Hopes and Sit Next to Me... although I agree... not rock. Modern Pop.

I even like the Bad Wolves harder version of Zombie (and would be cool if we got it and their part of the proceeds went to Delores O’Roirdan’s kids as well). Weezer’s Africa I could live without...but I’m sure I’d buy it anyway, too.

Sidenote:
    Don't we have all 4 of those ID songs? I know we have Feel it Still and broken. Surprised we don't have Sit Next to Me and High Hopes yet, and Weezer's Africa for that matter.

We do not have Whatever It Takes.

• Sidenote:

Thanks. I thought there might have been one we didn't have but couldn't remember for sure. Of those four it's definitely my least favorite, though I would REALLY love Demons and also could go for some It's Time.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

Really hope we do get that Against the Current song and Remedy at aome point. Not holding my breath at this point but...

I was thinking that some popular RBN songs might be saved for the spotlight passes to help promote the newer songs. If DLC is going to stay being mostly songs from the past few years those big RBN songs like Remedy may be what it takes for more people to check out the new music.

A pony

8. Bad Wolves - "Zombie"
    10. Weezer - "Africa"
    Rolling Stone had an interesting article claiming 2018 is the low point of Rock based on this year end chart. A good number of these songs were actually released in late 2017, but still received enough play in 2018 that they were top songs, which is a li'l sad. Rock music simply isn't all that popular these days (which might explain why the RB4 resurrection in 2015 sold less than expected).

Granted, people were saying the same exact thing in the '80s when New Wave was huge, and grunge was right around the corner, so who knows.

Also, I wouldn't mind getting High Hopes. It's insane to me we still haven't gotten Panic! at the Disco in the RB4 era.
  • tdc002 said:

A pony

8. Bad Wolves - "Zombie"
    10. Weezer - "Africa"
    Also, I wouldn't mind getting High Hopes. It's insane to me we still haven't gotten Panic! at the Disco in the RB4 era.
    I know, right? I expected to get at least three songs from their fifth album, as well as a few from their fourth and sixth.

As someone, who really liked their first album and loved their second, I'd like some older stuff too.
    Late 2017? Believer was released in very early 2017. Feb 1 to be precise. Feel It Still was Mar 3 2017.

• Sidenote:

Thanks. I thought there might have been one we didn't have but couldn't remember for sure. Of those four it's definitely my least favorite, though I would REALLY love Demons and also could go for some It's Time.
    Heh, Whatever It Takes is the Imagine Dragons song I really want.
  • Please no more Imagine Dragons. I understand they are nice enough to support the game and all but considering how little DLC we are getting compared to previous gens, it sure seems like a waste. Personally I think the worst DLC of the year, all songs we got from them. Not a pop guy however but there are some songs from the genre I enjoy at least playing.
  • Well, in my opinion the following year should bring musics of TWENTY ONE PILOTS, because recently this band released an album and it was mostly good and for some time now RB4 has not received music from them

If this happened it would not be bad if they introduced:
    Nico and the niners
    Chlorine
    and jumpsuit

Sorry for my English but I'm Mexican and I'm not very good at XD
    edited December 2018
    TheStuddz said:

tdc002 said:

A pony

8. Bad Wolves - "Zombie"
    10. Weezer - "Africa"
    I know, right? I expected to get at least three songs from their fifth album, as well as a few from their fourth and sixth.

As someone, who really liked their first album and loved their second, I'd like some older stuff too.
    Quantity of 2012-2013 music really suffered from the hiatus so I'm not particularly surprised about the absence of 4th album songs. There was some new album promotion in the late RB3 era but when the RB4 era came the focus was on 2014-2015.

I would've thought at least Hallelujah or Emperor's New Clothes for 5th album and High Hopes for 6th album.
  • TheStuddz said:

tdc002 said:

A pony

8. Bad Wolves - "Zombie"
    10. Weezer - "Africa"

Quantity of 2012-2013 music really suffered from the hiatus so I'm not particularly surprised about the absence of 4th album songs. There was some new album promotion in the late RB3 era but when the RB4 era came the focus was on 2014-2015.

I would've thought at least Hallelujah or Emperor's New Clothes for 5th album and High Hopes for 6th album.
    I always expected "Victorious". That would be tons of fun to play.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited December 2018

Well, in my opinion the following year should bring musics of TWENTY ONE PILOTS, because recently this band released an album and it was mostly good and for some time now RB4 has not received music from them

If this happened it would not be bad if they introduced:
    Nico and the niners
    Chlorine
    and jumpsuit

Sorry for my English but I'm Mexican and I'm not very good at XD

Definitely would be more like:
    Heavydirtysoul
    Jumpsuit
    My Blood

If we did get a pack by them again
  • tdc002 said:

A pony

8. Bad Wolves - "Zombie"
    10. Weezer - "Africa"
    Rolling Stone had an interesting article claiming 2018 is the low point of Rock based on this year end chart. A good number of these songs were actually released in late 2017, but still received enough play in 2018 that they were top songs, which is a li'l sad. Rock music simply isn't all that popular these days (which might explain why the RB4 resurrection in 2015 sold less than expected).

Granted, people were saying the same exact thing in the '80s when New Wave was huge, and grunge was right around the corner, so who knows.

I think problems with the game and hardware were much bigger factors to the initial RB4 sales situation. Stuff like the entitlements mess, initial Madcatz instrument availability, Madcatz instruments requiring hard to find updates to work properly, game stuttering, etc. We're very fortunate that HMX has supported RB4 for so long and continues to support the game with DLC, feature updates and bug fixes.