Will Rock Band 4 be remastered or get a sequel when next-gen consoles are out?

So we will most likely see a new console from Sony and Microsoft by 2020-2021, and I can assume many of us will get it and make it our new primary gaming system for the future. So I am curious how Harmonix will approach the next generation of consoles.

We all know the incredible nightmarish task it was moving all the DLC from Playstation 3 to Playstation 4 especially for us fellow Europeans where it tok more than two years, so that would need to be resolved much better and quicker beforehand. On the upside it would give Harmonix measures to implement missing features like better character creation, a more robust engine and various quality of life features that are still lacking and re-introduce the game with all the new features that was missing on release.

There is no doubt Harmonix has already improved the game significantly since it was released in 2015, and it would be much better received this time around. It would also give more people the chance to return to the game and see all those changes for themselves. There are also much less games out early in a new generation, so there would be fewer games to choose from which might help out getting an influx of new and returning players if Harmonix markets the game right.

I personally think a remastered or "rockmastered"™ edition would work just fine. Rock Band doesn't need a sequel since Rock Band 4 is already such an evolving game and it's just better to improve on that format than beginning from scratch.

These are just some of my early thoughts, but I am curious what the rest of you think and your ideas about next gen consoles, Rock Band 4 and its future.

Comments

• grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited January 5
    Given RB games have been delisted from digital stores 5 years after launch (RB3 delisted October 2015, RB Blitz delisted August 2017), I'd guess a RB4 remaster would be impossible and RB4 ends up removed from digital stores in October 2020. As for what happens after RB4? I don't know maybe a RB5 early next gen, maybe another hiatus.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    Gorgeroth said:

On the upside it would give Harmonix measures to implement missing features like better character creation, a more robust engine and various quality of life features that are still lacking and re-introduce the game with all the new features that was missing on release.

If they (apparently) don't have the resources available to develop these things now, where are they going to get them in a theoretical RB5/remastered scenario?
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    I've been wondering this myself. I would much prefer a new game with a new setlist and new graphics (I personally find RB4 kinda ugly compared to prior entries) and new features (like the enhanced character creator a lot of people hoped would come after launch), but if all current gen games end up being natively compatible with next gen hardware will there actually even be a need for another release? They could, hypothetically, just keep releasing DLC on the store and it'd be accessible to XB1/PS4 owners as well as XB2/PS5 owners, though that definitely doesn't solve the "instrument crisis."

If they do make a new one, I wonder if they decide to wait a couple years into the generation for console adoption rates to rise like last time. I wonder if this is something they're currently even thinking about, surely they know the new consoles are coming, they may already even be in talks with the platform holders for other projects.

A lot of variables here. Either way I don't suspect we'll hearing anything for at least a couple years, I'd be highly surprised if they announced their plans before the consoles are actually out. That being said, Rock Band 5 would make a killer launch game, and I bet Microsoft and Sony to a certain extent know that a new entry would guarantee the majority of however much of the playerbase is left would migrate to the new consoles for a sequel. No idea if the numbers work out to make that worth it though. Too many variables, and far too early to tell.
  • edited January 6
    SmashMan said:

Gorgeroth said:

On the upside it would give Harmonix measures to implement missing features like better character creation, a more robust engine and various quality of life features that are still lacking and re-introduce the game with all the new features that was missing on release.

If they (apparently) don't have the resources available to develop these things now, where are they going to get them in a theoretical RB5/remastered scenario?
    Creating a remastered/sequel will generate a lot more revenue and new players than just adding something for an almost five year old game. Having an expanded character creation will probably be a good enticer to get people to buy or re-buy the game.
  • Pretty sure there will be a Rock Band 5. If not, Harmonix will be out of business.

Yes. Harmonix needs to evolve with the rest of the gaming world to not become stagnant and left behind. They have already made Rock Band 4 into something so much more than it was back in 2015, and I really think the game deserves a relaunch so more people can see all the changes. I can't think of a better way to do that than after the next generation of consoles is out and then reintroduce a new remastered edition or a sequel for new and returning buyers.

Other things I've been thinking of is:

- Add a store with cosmetic DLC like new highway bars and notes to personalize your fretboard.
    - Subscription model for songs. Netflix, PS+, Spotify, MMORGS, Youtube+. There is no doubt the subscription model has become extremely popular worldwide and it would probably be very enticing for people with low DLC to pay a monthly sum to have DLC rather than buying every single song from scratch.
  • edited January 6
    GLaDOS said:

I've been wondering this myself. I would much prefer a new game with a new setlist and new graphics (I personally find RB4 kinda ugly compared to prior entries) and new features (like the enhanced character creator a lot of people hoped would come after launch), but if all current gen games end up being natively compatible with next gen hardware will there actually even be a need for another release? They could, hypothetically, just keep releasing DLC on the store and it'd be accessible to XB1/PS4 owners as well as XB2/PS5 owners, though that definitely doesn't solve the "instrument crisis."

If they do make a new one, I wonder if they decide to wait a couple years into the generation for console adoption rates to rise like last time. I wonder if this is something they're currently even thinking about, surely they know the new consoles are coming, they may already even be in talks with the platform holders for other projects.

A lot of variables here. Either way I don't suspect we'll hearing anything for at least a couple years, I'd be highly surprised if they announced their plans before the consoles are actually out. That being said, Rock Band 5 would make a killer launch game, and I bet Microsoft and Sony to a certain extent know that a new entry would guarantee the majority of however much of the playerbase is left would migrate to the new consoles for a sequel. No idea if the numbers work out to make that worth it though. Too many variables, and far too early to tell.

Yeah I am thinking very futuristic, and this thread is all about wishful thinking, ideas and speculation. I am sure Harmonix have had internal meetings about this already. The reason why a remastered edition might be better than a whole new sequel is because it would make them have to start from scratch again, and it would be a lot more expensive. I just don't see it as necessary when they can just continue expand on what they have been improving for the last four years. You can absolutely remaster a game and have it look fresh and brand new. Just take a look at the original Resident Evil game and compare it to Resident Evil Remastered editions. I doubt Harmonix would have to go that extreme, but it would give them a chance to add in the last missing features and stay relevant years into the future.
  • GLaDOS said:

The HMX and NCSOFT collaboration project announced in August is very early in development so that's probably a next gen console release. Whether that means HMX gets earlier access to next gen devkits allowing them to have RB5 ready by the time RB4 is delisted, don't know.

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/harmonix-and-ncsoft-enter-strategic-partnership-for-multiplatform-publishing-deal
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    edited January 8
    I REALLY do hope there's a Rock Band 5 in the works, or at least being thought of.. Rock Band is my favorite game series of all time! While they have been updating the game over the years, RB4's current state at the moment seriously feels like a very uninspired, mediocre indie game; the boring menus and overall art-style, unexciting and laid-back character animations, serious lack of character/instrument customization, missing game modes like score duel with friends, etc.

Edit:
    - Stages/Venues feel lifeless sometimes or look very bland, especially in the bigger venues; needs smoke, light flares and light rays from stage lights, video effects from previous RB games, sparks and electricity, etc.
  • edited January 6

Gorgeroth said:

Pretty sure there will be a Rock Band 5. If not, Harmonix will be out of business.

- Add a store with cosmetic DLC like new highway bars and notes to personalize your fretboard.
    - Subscription model for songs. Netflix, PS+, Spotify, MMORGS, Youtube+. There is no doubt the subscription model has become extremely popular worldwide and it would probably be very enticing for people with low DLC to pay a monthly sum to have DLC rather than buying every single song from scratch.
    I honestly don't think a subscription service would be a good idea. If it's anything like MMORPGs, Spotify, PS+.. you lose access to the songs/dlc/content if you don't pay them. Who's to say when the game gets discontinued if you could even play your songs after that. Don't like the idea of that at all.. we all know how labels can be...
    It would be an optional system. You could still buy the DLC the regular way like you always have. I have 2000 songs and they are mine forever, but I can only imagine how daunting it is for a new person starting the game now having to re-buy every single song from scratch, when they could rather pay a monthly fee and get em all in one scoop instead as long as they are a continuous subscriber.
    For example I've been a Playstation + user for several years and I have collected dozens of free video games through that feature, but I know the moment I stop subscribing all those games will become unavailable, and I am fine with that.
  • itzJV said:

I REALLY do hope there's a Rock Band 5 in the works, or at least being thought of.. Rock Band is my favorite game series of all time! While they have been updating the game over the years, RB4's current state at the moment seriously feels like a very uninspired, mediocre indie game; the boring menus and overall art-style, unexciting and laid-back character animations, serious lack of character/instrument customization, missing game modes like score duel with friends, etc.

Surprised to see so many wants a new Rock Band instead of a remaster. In my mind I never felt Harmonix would have the budget to start all over, and that a remaster would be the safer bet. I also thought that with all the features we've gotten since Rock Band 4 was released it really feels like a new game. But you are right that there elements which is still lagging behind like animations and outdated art style which is in serious need of an overhaul.
    Maybe a sequel would be the best bet, but they better not do like Rock Band 4 where they strip us of features again. If we could pertain the features of todays Rock Band 4 and have it improved with new art-style, a better character creator and animations worthy of a PS5 title I would be all aboard.
  • djb5f1 said:

Gorgeroth said:

itzJV said:

Surprised to see so many wants a new Rock Band instead of a remaster. In my mind I never felt Harmonix would have the budget to start all over, and that a remaster would be the safer bet. I also thought that with all the features we've gotten since Rock Band 4 was released it really feels like a new game. But you are right that there elements which is still lagging behind like animations and outdated art style which is in serious need of an overhaul.
    Maybe a sequel would be the best bet, but they better not do like Rock Band 4 where they strip us of features again. If we could pertain the features of todays Rock Band 4 and have it improved with new art-style, a better character creator and animations worthy of a PS5 title I would be all aboard.
    Got to be a sequel with a new on-disc set list. I can’t imagine having to play those same RB4 songs over and over again for another release after they are picked every week for Spotlight songs (in addition to career mode, etc.)
    I really see the arguments for a new setlist. Hell, even if we got a remastered edition it should be all new songs on disc, and then let those of us who own Rock Band 4 (original) being able to transfer the songs over.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    The new songs that are released for Rivals owners on a semi-regular basis? That's what your "on-disc" songs would all look like, if they started from scratch.

No instruments = RB should be dead. But it's not! I embrace the miracle.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

I am just hoping we have a while to go before new consoles... 2020 seems way too soon

Right?! Sadly, console manufacturers do not share that same mentality.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    LoopyChew said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to RB5 with an all-Bethany playlist.

it will be labeled an all-Bethany playlist, but actually it'll be an all-Jane playlist.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Does it seem like Bethany comes up an inordinate amount of times in the menus?

And once that song gets into your head, you unfortunately can’t get it out!
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    Whatever Hmx does moving forward, if they don't start manufacturing new controllers, it's all a moot point. Our legacy controllers continue to age, and even the new controllers are beginning to break down. They were never intended to last forever. Duct tape only goes so far, and there comes a point of no return. When there are no new controllers available for sale at a reasonable price, it's game over.
    Two of my younger family members started playing rock band, and wanted a set of drums. Ha! After going to three different "used" game stores we finally found a store with a pile of parts and pieces of RB drums. Fortunately I knew what they needed. Lol. We managed to piece together a decent set for them... but you get my point. A new RB generation is simply out of luck. As I continue beating my drums to death, and wondering when my gtr might stop working, I'm hit with the sad fact that when they quit working, I'll have to quit playing. Un-thinkable!
    My friend Ray comes over every 3-4 years to play Rock Band. Now that his kids have an Xbox One, he realized that he could have a setup of his own at home. So he bought 2 guitars + an RB4 disc + a digital Rivals expansion + 2 mics. And a $50 gift card he got for Christmas went immediately towards buying some DLC.

Just this month! A new customer!

I'm trying to help him get more songs but the process of exporting Xbox 360 Track Pack discs to an Xbox One is a mystery to me. Will he need to borrow an Xbox 360? Will borrowing a legacy console + a copy of RB3 allow him to purchase the $10 export for that title?
    I know someone named Bethany and I dread the day I start singing the song in front of her or one of her friends, totally subconsciously.
  • Track Packs (2, AC/DC, Metal, Classic Rock, Country, Country 2) are code redemption which can be done on XB1 and there's no export fee. RB3 however you'd need a 360 and RB3.
  • djb5f1 said:

For me, it's about 49% Bethany, 49% Constant Disaster, 2% anything else.

I miss that inexplicably unplayable rattle and twist song. :(
  • Vexus said:

djb5f1 said:

For me, it's about 49% Bethany, 49% Constant Disaster, 2% anything else.

I miss that inexplicably unplayable rattle and twist song. :(
    SHAKE

TWIST

RATTLE

(and)

HISS

I just now learned the name of that song whilst looking it up. Free Rivals DLC when? /s

Anyway, I think Rock Band 4 may just still be supported through backwards compatibility, unless they want to release a special edition or something similar. End of insightful comment.