DLC Discussion Thread: Metal March (in January)

134
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 1/10: BABYMETAL and Godsmack!

2019’s metal march continues with DLC from BABYMETAL and Godsmack heading to Rock Band 4!

“Starlight” is BABYMETAL’s exciting return to Rock Band DLC after “Gimme Chocolate!!” kicked off Rock Band 4 several years ago. The band’s first two albums both topped the World Albums chart in America. Their second album, Metal Resistance, became the highest-placing Japanese album on the Billboard 200 chart in over 50 years! “Starlight” has also charted strongly, placing high on US Hard Rock Digital and US World Digital Songs. “Starlight” is djent-heavy, so you’ll find a lot of intricacy in its rhythms. It’ll be tough on all instruments, and because the strong accents don’t land on the downbeat, it’s also one of the most challenging songs on lower difficulties! To help out, vocal harmonies are dense but have simpler rhythms so you may be able to wrangle that part a bit quicker than others.
The BABYMETAL World Tour 2018 may have just wrapped, but there’s still plenty to discover on http://www.babymetal.com/en/ You can delve into their fantasy lore with the Apocrypha graphic novel, and check out the music video for “Starlight” where the Chosen Seven appear.

From the spring release of Godsmack’s seventh studio album When Legends Rise, we’re adding the title track to Rock Band 4 this week. “When Legends Rise” performed well on many charts, including the Billboard Hot Rock songs chart, Rock Digital Song Sales, and Hot Rock Songs, alongside the album placing in the top 10 of the Billboard 200. “When Legends Rise” is all about variety, with percussion doing everything from four-on-the-floor during the chorus to verses filled with toms, and angular breakdowns mixed in. The guitar is in a similar spot, expect to play HOPO chords and syncopated rhythms during the verses, with heavy chords and dissonant strumming elsewhere.
You can visit https://www.godsmack.com/ and celebrate 20 years and 20 million albums of Godsmack. Catch them in Europe for the next couple months, then get ready for US and Canadian tour stops through spring. “When Legends Rise” makes for an excellent show opener.



For the first two weeks of release, songs can be purchased individually for $1.49. Following that two week period, songs can be purchased individually for $1.99. The Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $14.99.


  • BABYMETAL - "Starlight" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass)
  • Godsmack - "When Legends Rise" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 9 Spotlight Pass)












* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, January 10th.

Comments

  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Three metal songs in one spotlight pass though...that's never happened before, has it? Maybe in season 8? I'd have to check.
  • OH MY GOD!

    Well this is an early contender for best week of DLC in 2019
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Not familiar with this Godsmack song off-hand but always wanted Voodoo or more Godsmack, will give a listen. Preview video not working yet.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    I like the sound of both songs, thank you HMX!
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Love to see more metal but these are among the very last metal songs I’d consider buying. Too bad, but I’ll keep rocking out to my Slayer songs
  • Meh. Getting vocal strain from all the metal on these challenges. But betting the DLC stays strong for a couple more seasons.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    djb5f1 said:

    Not familiar with this Godsmack song off-hand but always wanted Voodoo or more Godsmack, will give a listen. Preview video not working yet.

    Yeah, there are definitely more Godsmack songs that I'd love to get, with "Voodoo" being first among them, but I saw Godsmack live this past summer and wasn't in love with any of their new songs (including this one). I still prefer it to the BABYMETAL song, but, y'know.
  • Wow didnt think we would get more Babymetal, but well here we are. Not the song that i wanted of them (havent heard it before this), but it will defo be played a lot, sounds great (and challenging)! Godsmack's song sounds good too, glad to get it from the pass.
  • Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    I'm not a massive fan of either band, but both of these tracks sound like they're a LOT of fun on multiple instruments. So yeah, that wins me over, kthxbye
  • It's become increasingly clear that promotion in challenge 5 was the right decision. These are good songs but Starlight probably won't be played much until the instruments situation improves.
  • Great week!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    TheStuddz said:

    djb5f1 said:

    Not familiar with this Godsmack song off-hand but always wanted Voodoo or more Godsmack, will give a listen. Preview video not working yet.

    Yeah, there are definitely more Godsmack songs that I'd love to get, with "Voodoo" being first among them, but I saw Godsmack live this past summer and wasn't in love with any of their new songs (including this one). I still prefer it to the BABYMETAL song, but, y'know.
    Yeah, I may get because it is discounted and a band I know/like, but it sounds rather generic. Their older stuff is much better. I would like Whatever or Keep Away as well.

    I was looking for something to stab myself in the eye during the BABYMETAL part of the preview.

  • edited January 8
    What is this metal you speak of?
    Iron? Nope. Aluminum? Nope. Steel? Nope. Baby? YES!!! :p
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Haven't heard either, really cool to see more BABYMETAL show up though, will have to give the full song a listen but I'll probably pick it up either way since it's discounted.

    Godsmack is always a pass from me but I'm happy for their fans. Excited to get some non-metal next week (I hope)
  • Babymetal? Yay. Godsmack? Nay.
  • TheStuddz said:

    Three metal songs in one spotlight pass though...that's never happened before, has it? Maybe in season 8? I'd have to check.

    Could be 4 songs, RBN is well known for its metal and this season has followed a pattern so far:
    Week 1 - Modern
    Week 2 - Classic
    Week 3 - Modern
    Week 4 - RBN
    Week 5 - Modern
    Week 6 - Classic
    Week 7 - Modern
    Week 8 - RBN?
  • 1993mic1993mic Opening Act
    edited January 8
    Last time I played I realized it's been a veeeeery long time since I've been excited about a track. There's been some good tracks, but none of them has made me go "ooohh I need this right now!"
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    This is an interesting week. Though it makes me want Starlight by a different band and any music by Days of the New.

    All in all though, more BABYMETAL is never a bad thing. B)
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    The one BABYMETAL track I have will continue to serve its purpose of satisfying random players who like that sort of thing, showing one obscure niche arm of DLC variety. A second one would be redundant.

    The one Godsmack track I have will continue to be the only one, as I only have that one because it stowed itself away on the Metal Track Pack Trojan Horse and was already inside the walls before I realized it.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    1993mic said:

    Last time I played I realized it's been a veeeeery long time since I've been excited about a track. There's been some good tracks, but none of them has made me go "ooohh I need this right now!"

    The Heart songs did that for me, but before those? Yeah, it had been months.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited January 8
    I bought the Spotlight Pass so now I own them both and I had better learn to love or at least tolerate these songs [haven't listened to them yet but metal is not among my top 3 genres].

    BABYMETAL is a great concept that I fully support (conceptually, at least)
    Chocolate is one of the greatest things in the world.
    The song "Gimme Chocolate!!" cracks me up and I also kinda like it.
    Songs from near the top of recent Hot Rock / Hard Rock Billboard charts are often solid selections as RB4 DLC.
  • randracrandrac Opening Act
    I am glad to see more Godsmack and like this song, but would much rather have gotten Voodoo. We NEED that song.
  • VolTRHVolTRH Opening Act
    edited January 8
    Oh my god, we're actually getting more Babymetal! I had lost hope of ever getting another song by them, which bothered me because our only song from them is one of their more novelty songs. They're one of my favorite groups of today, and I've requested basically everything they've put out. I was hoping "Megitsune" or "Karate" would've been the first song we'd get after "Gimme Chocolate!", but the new single is still very much okay.

    With Heart, Andrew W.K., and now Babymetal, I'm in love with the recent DLC choices.
  • djb5f1 said:

    TheStuddz said:

    djb5f1 said:

    Not familiar with this Godsmack song off-hand but always wanted Voodoo or more Godsmack, will give a listen. Preview video not working yet.

    Yeah, there are definitely more Godsmack songs that I'd love to get, with "Voodoo" being first among them, but I saw Godsmack live this past summer and wasn't in love with any of their new songs (including this one). I still prefer it to the BABYMETAL song, but, y'know.
    Yeah, I may get because it is discounted and a band I know/like, but it sounds rather generic. Their older stuff is much better. I would like Whatever or Keep Away as well.

    This.
    100%
    Whatever and Keep Away are glaring holes in the RB catalog.

    It’s similar to how we got Uncomfortable by Halestorm when Love Bites (So Do I), I Get Off, Apocalyptic, and It’s Not You are still out there.. Quite a bummer to get the largely forgettable newer songs from under-represented bands.
  • Intros9Intros9 Unsigned
    djb5f1 said:


    I was looking for something to stab myself in the eye during the BABYMETAL part of the preview.

    Had to go listen to the preview because of your description. Lawdy lawdy, you weren't a-kidding.

    The Godsmack doesn't sound as bad as the one on the Metal Track Pack, but was unremarkable overall. Going to be a pass for me this week.
134
Sign In or Register to comment.