DLC Discussion Thread: Season 10 Kick-Off!

Comments

• razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I'll get Elle King, with the discount, I guess. Not interest in The Struts in the slightest.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Will be getting "Body Talks" for sure
  • EmalytheEmalythe Rising Star
    Both of these songs sound like a lot of fun, especially for a vocalist.
    On a side note, if you didn't tell me this was Elle King, I would have sworn it was Duffy from about 10 years ago.
  • Emalythe said:

I would have sworn it was Duffy from about 10 years ago.

Duffy's all like "Why won't you release me?" to Harmonix :tongue:

• tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I'll probably grab Body Talks. That drum part looks like a lot of fun.
  • BaronRobBaronRob Unsigned
    Very happy to get some Struts, although it could have been Could Have Been Me. If the other song is as good as Exes and Ohs, then this kills all those metal weeks for me.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    The Struts are some excellent modern glam. I could've swore we had Kiss This in game...
  • edited January 29
    My reaction to the preview video.

• Not bad. I'll probably get both.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Both songs strike above the average for me. I kinda-like both songs. I only buy about 20% of songs that are released these days, and these probably fall a little below my usual threshold to buy (there are still unpurchased back-catalogue songs I want more than I want these).

This week is by no means a disappointment. But I do hope this is closer to being this season's average than this season's high point.
  • Intros9Intros9 Unsigned

The Struts are some excellent modern glam. I could've swore we had Kiss This in game...

I listened to the preview twice - sounds way more indie than glam to me.

I'll give the full song a listen later tonight to give it a fair shake in the name of glam as I own and enjoy most of the glam DLC, but can already say the other song is a no.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited January 29
    Rock Central servers seem to be down.

EDIT: Nevermind seems to be back since I restarted the console.
  • These songs are fine. Would have like a different Struts song but Body Talks is fine.

It's all just....fine.
  • Never a good sign when the thread title references no clues to the actual songs :/

Not feeling these too much. They are OK. Shame is a decent song. Not sure how fun the charts will be though. I like The Struts song considerably less. I think it was recently a theme song for a WWE PPV and those songs are almost always not good.
    edited January 30
    They did the same thing with the first week of season 9 as well, and that week had two of the ‘biggest’ current bands.
  • EmalytheEmalythe Rising Star
    TheMurals said:

Emalythe said:

I would have sworn it was Duffy from about 10 years ago.

Duffy's all like "Why won't you release me?" to Harmonix :tongue:

Hate to rain on your parade, but I don't think that's gonna happen.
  • They did the same thing with the first week of season 9 as well, and that week had two of the ‘biggest’ current bands.

I was half joking, but that week was not well accepted either.
  • Several weeks off but I successfully predicted shame for this month, go me. Actually think I've requested both of these songs as well.
  • KidSleez said:

Never a good sign when the thread title references no clues to the actual songs :/

Not feeling these too much. They are OK. Shame is a decent song. Not sure how fun the charts will be though. I like The Struts song considerably less. I think it was recently a theme song for a WWE PPV and those songs are almost always not good.

I agree usually with the WWE point. But I actually enjoy the Struts song haha
  • KidSleez said:

Never a good sign when the thread title references no clues to the actual songs :/

I agree usually with the WWE point. But I actually enjoy the Struts song haha
    I don't like most of the songs WWE uses, but they seem to have a similar approach to HMX in that they feature newer, less familiar rock/indie rock tracks. Maybe that's why I don't like them! :p
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Bodies by Drowning Pool was the theme song for the reality WWE tryout competition Tuff Enough
  • edited January 30
    djb5f1 said:

Bodies by Drowning Pool was the theme song for the reality WWE tryout competition Tuff Enough

Was it? I know it was used for one of their PPVs back when the song was out, but I can't remember which one.

Edit: wiki tells me it was SummerSlam in 2001.
  • Intros9Intros9 Unsigned
    Watched the full The Struts video. The lead singer is nearly glam, the rest of the band is regular indie sounding. Going to have to pass for now. If they mature in an album or two, would be interested to re-listen.
  • ugxwolfugxwolf Unsigned
    Elle King is meh, but The Struts is gold. It’ll probably be a new favorite to play. Sounds really fun. Especially on Drums. Much better start than last season.
    edited January 30
    KidSleez said:

They did the same thing with the first week of season 9 as well, and that week had two of the ‘biggest’ current bands.

I'm guessing their sales figures indicate it was a lot better 'accepted' by the metric that matters (people spending money) than the metric that doesn't (dissent among grumpy forumgoers whose tastes tend towards niche and classic).

I think season 9 week 1 was a *great* week for them, even though I didn't buy either track.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    KidSleez said:

djb5f1 said:

Was it? I know it was used for one of their PPVs back when the song was out, but I can't remember which one.

Edit: wiki tells me it was SummerSlam in 2001.
    They also used it for their revived ECW show in the 2000s.

Early 2000s WWE was like the mecca of crappy nu-metal. And also tons of Creed.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal

KidSleez said:

I'm guessing their sales figures indicate it was a lot better 'accepted' by the metric that matters (people spending money) than the metric that doesn't (dissent among grumpy forumgoers whose tastes tend towards niche and classic).

I think season 9 week 1 was a *great* week for them, even though I didn't buy either track.
    It very well may have sold well, but there's no guarantee.

Most people I know who love new Maroon 5 don't play Rock Band, and vice versa. Most Rock Band players I know are pretty big music fans, and a lot of music fans tend to dive a little deeper than the top 40. "Girls Like You" also had terrible charts, and wasn't very fun to play on anything beyond vocals, so informed buyers may have been less likely to buy this song, although I'm sure many bought the song off of name recognition alone (old Maroon 5 is still pretty great, and a lot of the songs we've gotten from them in the past are a lot of fun to play).

I've made a lot of generalizations, and in my heart I know that "Girls Like You" and "Natural" probably did great sales. But I just don't know if fans of top 40 pop music and fans of a very niche rock music-based video game share as much of an audience as you'd think, at least when said pop music is no fun to play in the context of said game.
  • I'd guess Rivals seasons skews the data anyway because you have to buy the spotlights to promote, I wouldn't be surprised if all the Season 9 spotlight pass songs outsold Magic Man for example.