DLC Discussion Thread: Season 10 Kick-Off!

Comments

• Intros9Intros9 Unsigned
    You have to buy the spotlight songs if you want to promote on the first possible week, at the very least.
    TheStuddz said:

Most people I know who love new Maroon 5 don't play Rock Band, and vice versa. Most Rock Band players I know are pretty big music fans, and a lot of music fans tend to dive a little deeper than the top 40.

The handful of Rock Band players I personally know are big music fans who dive way deeper than the top 40. But the average redditor (who is 25 or younger) is more than thrilled when recent top 40 stuff shows up as DLC, and older and less mainstream tracks rarely get serious plays on the LP charts that I can see, at least on the PS4 side.

I get it - HMX needs to chase the money, especially with the state of the game and the rhythm game genre in general. Just wish that there were a few more bones thrown our way, a la DLC prior to start of the RBN rewinds.
  • I'd guess Rivals seasons skews the data anyway because you have to buy the spotlights to promote, I wouldn't be surprised if all the Season 9 spotlight pass songs outsold Magic Man for example.

You don't need to buy the spotlight songs to promote. I know for a fact we have promoted before without problem despite nobody purchasing one of the Spotlights.

Especially on the first week, it is very easy to promote, if that's all you want to do.

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    TheStuddz said:

I've made a lot of generalizations, and in my heart I know that "Girls Like You" and "Natural" probably did great sales. But I just don't know if fans of top 40 pop music and fans of a very niche rock music-based video game share as much of an audience as you'd think, at least when said pop music is no fun to play in the context of said game.

I think HMX has been in this game long enough to know what sells, and given that hit songs from among the most prominent current-successful bands surely cost a lot more money to license than niche stuff, I can't imagine they're spending more money to license things that sell less.

People that like to karaoke along with Maroon 5 and occasionally struggle through medium guitar aren't vocal participants on forums. But they still spend money.
  • I'd guess Rivals seasons skews the data anyway because you have to buy the spotlights to promote, I wouldn't be surprised if all the Season 9 spotlight pass songs outsold Magic Man for example.

You don't need to buy the spotlight songs to promote. I know for a fact we have promoted before without problem despite nobody purchasing one of the Spotlights.

Especially on the first week, it is very easy to promote, if that's all you want to do.

If you want to hit the upper tiers, at least one person in your crew needs to buy the spotlight song on the relevant weeks. That person must also be able to FC it on all four instruments. Realistically you need at least three since guitar/bass, drums and vocals all play very differently, and assuming that every spotlight song has every part (remembering that Three Lives is the exception, not the rule).

Of course, week one is not one of those weeks.
  • You're probably already aware but XB1 has major problems at the moment.

• edited January 31
    I like both! Nothing exemplary, but I think these two tracks are enjoyable.

EDIT: Just re-listened to "Body Talks," and I actually enjoy it a lot more now. Pretty good track!

Getting the Struts reminds me we need "Put Your Money on Me." It was surprisingly fun to play on Guitar Hero Live before the best part of that game kicked the bucket.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I don't understand how the Spotlight Songs relate to the challenge theme. Somebody please help me.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    11 songs for $15 this season is a pretty awesome deal!! B)
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    coolkat said:

Getting the Struts reminds me we need "Put Your Money on Me."

You're right, we do need "Put Your Money On Me". But not by the Struts.
  • Body Talks is sorted as the hardest song in the entire library on vocals.
  • Count me in this time... not seen either act before but they look fun enough to play.
  • So both of this week's dlc are spotlight songs.

Nothin beats pay-to-win huh
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    LoopyChew said:

So both of this week's dlc are spotlight songs.

In Week 1, I'm pretty sure I've played just one song, sneezed, and got promoted, and I was playing drums.
    In terms of the sneeze and getting promoted...I'm sure this is a case of correlation rather than causation.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited January 31

Not to mention that it's not even a surprise that both songs are spotlight because they are both in the pass.

Anyway, I'm fine with it... I would prefer if all 3 songs could be dlc each week (not necessarily new per se)... I'm sick of a lot of the repeats of the disc/free stuff (not relevant this week).

They have enough disc/free stuff to keep spotlights fresh for awhile but for some reason choose not to use unused spotlights. Like Rivals is approaching 2 and a half years old and 2 disc songs still haven't been used once.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Is this Spotlight Pass discounted more than the last one? If so, that probably means "more songs that cost $1.50 if you buy them right away" and thus "fewer RBN re-releases".
  • Is this Spotlight Pass discounted more than the last one? If so, that probably means "more songs that cost $1.50 if you buy them right away" and thus "fewer RBN re-releases".

Same price I believe.
  • Is this Spotlight Pass discounted more than the last one? If so, that probably means "more songs that cost $1.50 if you buy them right away" and thus "fewer RBN re-releases".

No, it's exactly the same number of songs for the same price as last season's spotlight pass which suggests the same setup as last season just with a different order (e.g. weeks 1 and 3 swapped to take Valentines Day into account).
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior

11 songs for $15 this season is a pretty awesome deal!! B)

Ah, OK, so it's the exact same "pretty awesome deal" as last season, cool
  • Yes, I'll fall for it again and buy the Season Pass. I wouldn't do it except for being in a Rivals crew.

I'd rather most of the songs were from the 50's to the 90's, but I know they won't be...
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    LoopyChew said:

So both of this week's dlc are spotlight songs.

In Week 1, I'm pretty sure I've played just one song, sneezed, and got promoted, and I was playing drums.
    Nothing beats sneeze-to-win huh
  • Yes, I'll fall for it again and buy the Season Pass. I wouldn't do it except for being in a Rivals crew.

I'd rather most of the songs were from the 50's to the 90's, but I know they won't be...

Guess I won't be buying it. Store only has Season 9 pass, not season 10...
  • Season 10 rewards were announced ingame, they're robot heads.

Guess I won't be buying it. Store only has Season 9 pass, not season 10...
    I bought it via the Microsoft web store.
  • Season 10 rewards were announced ingame, they're robot heads.

Really? :neutral:
  • Call me Mr. Roboto or Mr. Robot or weird for actually liking this idea.