February 2019 DLC Prediction Thread: ValenTen's Day (Because Season 10 of Rivals, Get It?)

Comments

• Intros9Intros9 Unsigned
    Me? I am drawn to the Rock and Roll muse.
    Harmonix themselves said the word, push their DLC out another 5 years.
  • So we've got 8 forces to work with here:

Buoyancy -> Lifting up -> Light fare -> Pop-Rock
    Natural -> Non-electrical -> Acoustic songs?
    Electromagnetic -> Modern Pop?
    Resist -> Against other forces -> Against entropy -> Classic Rock/Neo-Classic Rock?
    Gravitational -> Pulling down -> Sad Songs?
    Change -> Altered over time -> RBN 1.0 Songs? (Have new Pro Drum charts)
    Attraction -> Love -> Valentine's Week Songs?
    Impact -> Powerful Pressure Released on a Mass -> Metal Songs?

I'd say attraction being in there all but confirms a Valentine's week.
  • BaronRobBaronRob Unsigned

According to ingame, this season's theme is forces.

Force 10 confirmed! Finally, more Rush.
  • "Resist" sounds like punk to me
  • Resist clearly means the new Within Temptation album that releases tomorrow.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Love is our resistance.
  • With next week being a RBN week, it does increase my hope that we will get Ayreon for my birthday
  • Intros9Intros9 Unsigned
    edited February 1
    Never heard of SDRE before, but as the week of 2/7 looks to be RBN rewinds, that means the week of 2/14 is likely more Brand New Stuff(tm) :/ .
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    edited February 1
    I expect we are going to get the most romantic song in history on Valentine's Day this year:

"Jane" by Jefferson Starship
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act

Love is our resistance.

We are young.
    Heartache to heartache we stand.
  • Best thing I got for buying the Spotlight Pass this early was Sunny Day Real Estate.
  • Where my mind goes whenever someone brings up Sunny Day Real Estate, especially Seven.

• I hope Sunny Day is a pack with the other two rbn songs. Seven is my least favorite of the three.
  • Could change be literal?
    David Bowie- Changes
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited February 2
    I may be the only one not looking forward to the SDRE song/pack. I didn’t buy them the first time around (if they were released on PSN) and after checking all 3 out on YouTube I’ve remembered the reason why - I cant stand that dudes droning voice.

I did find both songs this week to be enjoyable, nether of which I’d heard before - I thought before buying them I’d like Shame more based on the preview, but turns out the opposite with Body Talks being a blast on drums.

... and finally, not a huge fan of the robots with brains season reward heads.
    I’m holding out hope it’s not an sdre week but it’s just a week of two or three random rbn rewinds, and this just happens to be the one they put in spotlight.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 2
    Maybe change could be a 2 song single artist week where the 2 songs are very different like my BMTH prediction earlier in the thread. Not sure whether there's enough of these kind of changes in the library for a challenge though.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

Christmas-themed DLC: nope! the current set of decision makers all seem to be convinced that those kinds of songs will only sell for a few weeks out of the year, and that model just doesn't work out right

It's not like this is just a theory. They've put out Christmas DLC before. They know no one buys it outside of December. They're not not just hypothesizing.

edited February 2
    tdc002 said:

Christmas-themed DLC: nope! the current set of decision makers all seem to be convinced that those kinds of songs will only sell for a few weeks out of the year, and that model just doesn't work out right

It's not like this is just a theory. They've put out Christmas DLC before. They know no one buys it outside of December. They're not not just hypothesizing.

But, like, is anyone buying Three Lives after its first month out? Does Old Dominion have a recurring buying audience that buys monthly in perpetuity? I mean for a *lot* of tracks, seasonally specific or not, the sales will be primarily if not entirely the new release buyers. At least christmas songs are likely to get a second wave of buyers in their second Christmas season. There’s neither a second wave nor a steady buyership for niche releases.
    edited February 2

tdc002 said:

But, like, is anyone buying Three Lives after its first month out? Does Old Dominion have a recurring buying audience that buys monthly in perpetuity? I mean for a *lot* of tracks, seasonally specific or not, the sales will be primarily if not entirely the new release buyers. At least christmas songs are likely to get a second wave of buyers in their second Christmas season. There’s neither a second wave nor a steady buyership for niche releases.
    I think it comes down to Rivals again, generally if a DLC release is eligible for a challenge there'll be people who pick it up. You also have the possibility that these modern songs get more popular over time. Meanwhile unless Halloween ends up not existing anymore, Christmas songs will always be limited to November/December.
  • edited February 3
    BachiG said:

I may be the only one not looking forward to the SDRE song/pack. I didn’t buy them the first time around (if they were released on PSN) and after checking all 3 out on YouTube I’ve remembered the reason why - I cant stand that dudes droning voice.

I did find both songs this week to be enjoyable, nether of which I’d heard before - I thought before buying them I’d like Shame more based on the preview, but turns out the opposite with Body Talks being a blast on drums.

... and finally, not a huge fan of the robots with brains season reward heads.

SDRE is super fun on drums if I remember correctly. I understand how you feel about the vocals but hopefully you can overlook them.

I believe SDRE didn't have pro drum support so this is a great get. Hopefully we get the other two songs as well.
    edited February 4
    All 3 would be nice though I think it'll be a variety week. Only Pac-Man Fever and Knifeman of the RBN songs released since May are outside the top 200 in the RBN thread so far.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    I think three songs is too perfect a number to miss out on making a pack out of them. If there were two SDRE songs in the RBN, or four or five even, I'd assume it would be a variety week too, but I'm really thinking they might just knock out the three in a pack.

Checking the RBN best-sellers thread, it appears as though all three are within the top 400, which isn't all that bad. I wouldn't be surprised either way, honestly, but I'll keep my money on SDRE 3-pack.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    SDRE like Pac Man Fever is iconic and was insanely popular at the time of release. Knifeman really is the only anomaly, only reason I can think for that song being released is that The Bronx was a disc band once, which gives me hope for more Riverboat Gamblers.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

And yet, Rocksmith put out "holiday" music this year.
    I'm not saying I disagree with the decision made by HMX. It seems pretty sound to me.

but

Why were Rocksmith customers able to get themed songs, while we keep being told, "nope, never, can't be done"?
    Isn't is possible that there are SOME songs that would fit the "December Holidays / Winter" theme, but that are played all year long? Or why not offer songs that are so iconic that they would be expected to sell exceptionally well?

It just seems like there's a lack of creativity in saying, "no, that model can't possibly work, we will never sell songs that fit that theme". But it's a very defensible and safe and reasonable-sounding position.

I'm not mad. Just disappointed.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    I'm not particularly for or against more Christmas music in RB. There are holiday tracks that I'd want, but probably not any that I'd want more than certain other non-holiday songs.

But that said, isn't it cool that one of the few holiday tracks we have is John Lennon's "Happy Xmas (War is Over)"? A classic like that warrants inclusion.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Maybe Rocksmith has a different business model. Given that they offer more songs every week, it makes more sense for them to offer more niche songs: deep cuts, or less-famous artists, or seasonal DLC.
    Or maybe it was a bad move for them and that weeks' DLC had a relatively poor Return On Investment for them.

Customers don't care about costs or sales figures or anything like that. They just want what they want when they want it, and will lash out with accusations if they don't get it.

"It would sell great! You just hate us!"