February 2019 DLC Prediction Thread: ValenTen's Day (Because Season 10 of Rivals, Get It?)

Comments

• GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Okay, here's my stab at Valentines Day knowing we probably won't get any of these:

"Space Age Love Song" by A Flock of Seagulls
    "You're The One" by Greta Van Fleet
    "Love Test" by The Growlers
    "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" by The Smiths
    "This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)" by The Talking Heads
    "Pale Blue Eyes" by The Velvet Underground

More realistically it'll probably be some 2010s pop song and a 90s pop song that isn't "Kiss Me" or "Lovefool" for some reason
  • Intros9Intros9 Unsigned
    Well, they went for older hits for V-day week.

So next week will likely be Brand New Stuff(tm) or RBN rewinds. If it's the latter, I'm hoping for the John Parr stuff.
  • n8rocker82n8rocker82 Unsigned
    edited February 13
    Man, a Spotify trip down memory lane this week has me itching for more early 2000s pop punk in this game. Sure, we've got Blink and a handful of Sum 41/Good Charlotte/Yellowcard songs.

But where is Bowling For Soup, New Found Glory, Simple Plan, Fountains of Wayne, American Hi-Fi, Sugarcult, Brand New, Wheatus, SR-71, etc? So much untapped potential and a lot of recognizable party favorites.
  • Man, a Spotify trip down memory lane this week has me itching for more early 2000s pop punk in this game. Sure, we've got Blink and a handful of Sum 41/Good Charlotte/Yellowcard songs.

But where is Bowling For Soup, New Found Glory, Simple Plan, Fountains of Wayne, American Hi-Fi, Sugarcult, Brand New, Wheatus, SR-71, etc? So much untapped potential and a lot of recognizable party favorites.

I'd love some of those bands, can't see it being wise to go after brand new though.
  • Yeah, I think Brand New is a band we're never going to get. I'm not even saying that in the hopes I'm wrong like I would for most bands I say that about, I really don't think we're ever getting them and that's probably a good thing.

Not opposed to some of those other bands though. I could see us getting twos for Bowling For Soup, New Found Glory and Simple Plan and (fairly obvious) individual tracks from Fountains of Wayne, Wheatus and SR-71. Not this month necessarily, but eventually. I don't really know much about American Hi-Fi or Sugarcult though.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior

Man, a Spotify trip down memory lane this week has me itching for more early 2000s pop punk in this game. Sure, we've got Blink and a handful of Sum 41/Good Charlotte/Yellowcard songs.

I wonder about this as well since you would think HMX is targeting hit songs that appeal to the casual mainstream crowd.

Bowling For Soup - 1985, High School Never Ends, Girl All the Bad Guys Wants
    Sum 41 - The Hell Song, Motivation
    Good Charlotte - Hold On
    New Found Glory - My Friends Over You, Head On Collision
    Simple Plan - I'd Do Anything, Shut Up!, Welcome to My Life, Addicted
    The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Face Down

I'm baffled that "Face Down" has never been in either Rock Band or Guitar Hero. That song was HUGE during the 2000s pop punk scene.

• Man, a Spotify trip down memory lane this week has me itching for more early 2000s pop punk in this game. Sure, we've got Blink and a handful of Sum 41/Good Charlotte/Yellowcard songs.

No Simple Plan is sort of shocking to me.
    A starter pack could be:
    Perfect
    I'd Do Anything
    (New Song to promote their newest album [cringe])
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act

No Simple Plan is sort of shocking to me.
    A starter pack could be:
    Perfect
    I'd Do Anything
    (New Song to promote their newest album [cringe])
    That's actually a massive triple cringe.
  • So this week's DLC is the first time we've gotten new 90s and 00s songs since late April (Right Here, Right Now) and early March (Unwritten and All You Wanted) respectively.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited February 13
    itzJV said:

I wonder about this as well since you would think HMX is targeting hit songs that appeal to the casual mainstream crowd.

Good Charlotte - Hold On

I'm baffled that "Face Down" has never been in either Rock Band or Guitar Hero. That song was HUGE during the 2000s pop punk scene.

If I had to make weeks out of all the artists mentioned above, I'd go:

Bowling for Soup 01
    Girl All the Bad Guys Want
    High School Never Ends

Sum 41 01
    The Hell Song
    Pieces
    We're All to Blame

Sum 41 02
    Motivation
    Over My Head - Better Off Dead
    Walking Disaster

Good Charlotte 01
    Girls & Boys (Lego RB Rewind)
    I Just Wanna Live
    The River

Simple Plan 01
    I'm Just a Kid
    Perfect
    Welcome to My Life

'00s singles
    New Found Glory - "My Friends Over You"
    The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - "Face Down"
    The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - "Reap" (RBN)

'00 singles
    Fountains of Wayne - "Stacy's Mom"
    Wheatus - "Teenage Dirtbag"

Keep in mind that I'd only ever hope for all of these if DLC were to continue into 2020 (and maybe even beyond). As much as I love pop-punk, I don't realistically think that 7/45 weeks left in 2019 would be dedicated to it.

But yeah, that's all I would really ever need from any of the artists named here. Okay, I'd take a third Sum 41 pack (Makes No Difference, No Reason, Some Say, With Me).

P.S. Okay look. I know making an entire pack for Simple Plan is kinda gross. I agree. I can't stand their music anymore either. But as a Canadian kid who was 8-10 years old at the height of their career, I listened to a lot of Simple Plan at the time. I would be betraying my past self if I didn't.
  • I mean I’d prefer other songs to Simple Plan but prefer them the other bands listed.
  • Intros9Intros9 Unsigned

So this week's DLC is the first time we've gotten new 90s and 00s songs since late April (Right Here, Right Now) and early March (Unwritten and All You Wanted) respectively.

And far too long has it been. (/Yoda)

Bring Back the 90s Pack 1:

Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"
    Shawn Colvin - "Sunny Came Home"
    Ricky Martin - "Livin' la Vida Loca"
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited February 13
    Fountains of Wayne have made some damn fine tunes. Do I expect us to get any of them other than [maybe someday!] "Stacy's Mom"? No. But I'd be pretty thrilled if we did.

I dated a woman from Williams College who informed me that they were all geniuses.
    TheStuddz said:

So this week's DLC is the first time we've gotten new 90s and 00s songs since late April (Right Here, Right Now) and early March (Unwritten and All You Wanted) respectively.

That is insane. Remember in 2016/17 when we were getting new '90s songs all the time? Ten months without any seems wild.

More soon, please.
    Did some research.

1980's: 19
    1990's: 30

1980's: 19 (5 rewinds)
    1990's: 20 (6 rewinds)

1980's: 7 (3 rewinds)
    1990's: 15 (3 rewinds, 2 RBN)

2019 (so far)
    1980's: 2 (1 rewind)
    1990's: 2 (1 rewind)

So yeah, numbers have been declining, but not as much as I might have thought. The only difference is that a lot of it has been rewinds.

2000's DLC has also been on the rise in the past year, but that's mostly due to all of the RBN tracks (and a few rewinds).
  • itzJV said:

Glad I'm not the only one with this thought. The more bands I found without a single song in the game, the more I started to feel like HMX skipped the entire genre (an exaggeration of course, but still).

But yeah, you'd think recognizable, popular songs that still have a rock flavor would be right in HMX's wheelhouse. It's crazy how many we're missing.

I wonder if the timing of RB1's release and the general played out nature of pop punk at that time put them off of a lot of these...then they just never got back around to them.

As great of a song as Stacy's Mom is...there was a time when it was on the radio every 5 minutes. You could definitely call that a deterrent, haha.
  • Fountains of Wayne have made some damn fine tunes. Do I expect us to get any of them other than [maybe someday!] "Stacy's Mom"? No. But I'd be pretty thrilled if we did.

I dated a woman from Williams College who informed me that they were all geniuses.

My friend went and seen them live and instantly became a non-fan. The singer was drunk out of his mind live. That lost much respect from me hearing that as well. No band should get hardcore drunk to perform...
  • TheStuddz said:

itzJV said:

Good Charlotte - Hold On

Bowling for Soup 01
    High School Never Ends

Sum 41 01
    The Hell Song
    Pieces
    We're All to Blame

Sum 41 02
    Motivation
    Walking Disaster

Good Charlotte 01
    I Just Wanna Live
    The River

Simple Plan 01
    I'm Just a Kid
    Perfect
    Welcome to My Life

'00s singles

'00 singles

Keep in mind that I'd only ever hope for all of these if DLC were to continue into 2020 (and maybe even beyond). As much as I love pop-punk, I don't realistically think that 7/45 weeks left in 2019 would be dedicated to it.

But yeah, that's all I would really ever need from any of the artists named here. Okay, I'd take a third Sum 41 pack (Makes No Difference, No Reason, Some Say, With Me).

P.S. Okay look. I know making an entire pack for Simple Plan is kinda gross. I agree. I can't stand their music anymore either. But as a Canadian kid who was 8-10 years old at the height of their career, I listened to a lot of Simple Plan at the time. I would be betraying my past self if I didn't.
    I could probably break some these down into packs with just 1 of each. I personally don't need anymore Sum 41, but pick any one of their songs you listed, add 1985 and I Just Wanna Live for a pack. I'd rather have a Simple Plan pack with Perfect, Addicted, and I'd Do Anything. Those were fairly big hits and we don't have anything from them in the game.

Also, give me a pack with My Friends Over You, Face Down, and a Check Yes Juliet rewind. And of course I want Stacy's Mom and Teenage Dirtbag.

Gee, that's a lot of songs I want :)
  • Fountains of Wayne have made some damn fine tunes. Do I expect us to get any of them other than [maybe someday!] "Stacy's Mom"? No. But I'd be pretty thrilled if we did.

My friend went and seen them live and instantly became a non-fan. The singer was drunk out of his mind live. That lost much respect from me hearing that as well. No band should get hardcore drunk to perform...
    That's odd. I'm not a huge fan, but I've seen them twice, and they were pretty stellar both times. Couldn't agree more about on-stage drunkenness, though. Perhaps the show your friend went to was a regrettable exception to their norm.

That's odd. I'm not a huge fan, but I've seen them twice, and they were pretty stellar both times. Couldn't agree more about on-stage drunkenness, though. Perhaps the show your friend went to was a regrettable exception to their norm.
    I should mention that the show was just shortly after Stacey's Mom became huge. Not sure when you seen them, but hers with within months after the "takeoff hit".
    KidSleez said:

TheStuddz said:

itzJV said:

Good Charlotte - Hold On

Bowling for Soup 01
    High School Never Ends

Sum 41 01
    The Hell Song
    Pieces
    We're All to Blame

Sum 41 02
    Motivation
    Walking Disaster

Good Charlotte 01
    I Just Wanna Live
    The River

Simple Plan 01
    I'm Just a Kid
    Perfect
    Welcome to My Life

'00s singles

'00 singles

I could probably break some these down into packs with just 1 of each. I personally don't need anymore Sum 41, but pick any one of their songs you listed, add 1985 and I Just Wanna Live for a pack. I'd rather have a Simple Plan pack with Perfect, Addicted, and I'd Do Anything. Those were fairly big hits and we don't have anything from them in the game.

Also, give me a pack with My Friends Over You, Face Down, and a Check Yes Juliet rewind. And of course I want Stacy's Mom and Teenage Dirtbag.

"Addicted" and "I'd Do Anything" are the only two Simple Plan songs I'd ever want unironically, but I looked them up on Spotify, and the combined listener count is lower than the lowest of the three songs I listed. I think they'd be long shots if we ever got SP, unfortunately.
  • TheStuddz said:

KidSleez said:

TheStuddz said:

itzJV said:

Good Charlotte - Hold On

Bowling for Soup 01
    High School Never Ends

Sum 41 01
    The Hell Song
    Pieces
    We're All to Blame

Sum 41 02
    Motivation
    Walking Disaster

Good Charlotte 01
    I Just Wanna Live
    The River

Simple Plan 01
    I'm Just a Kid
    Perfect
    Welcome to My Life

'00s singles

'00 singles

"Addicted" and "I'd Do Anything" are the only two Simple Plan songs I'd ever want unironically, but I looked them up on Spotify, and the combined listener count is lower than the lowest of the three songs I listed. I think they'd be long shots if we ever got SP, unfortunately.
    Interesting. Chart activity on their songs is weird too. I'm Just a Kid didn't hit the Hot 100 in the US, but reached #64 in Canada. I'd Do Anything hit #3 in Canada and #51 in US. Addicted didn't chart in Canada, but is their third biggest hit in the US (#45). Welcome to My Life went to #1 in Canada, but only reached #40 in the US. Perfect probably has the biggest synergy between the 2 charts (#5 Canada, #24 US), so I'd guess that's the one we'd get if we ever got Simple Plan in RB. And that would be an OK choice with me.
  • Perfect was the only song I had ever heard on the radio here.
    With that said , they were more a band worth a large internet and TRL following (lol good ol’ TRL)
  • I'm going to slightly change my prediction for next week:
    The Word Alive - "Battle Royale" (spotlight pass)
    Attack Attack! - "Stick Stickly"
    Arch Enemy - "Nemesis"
  • I think Nemesis might have a higher chance of being a spotlight pass song.