Newbie RB4 Feature Questions

Just got RB4 for PS4 last week, and am loving it so far. Hooks up to my electronic drum kit, so have been playing exclusively with Pro-Drums, and it's awesome!

Anyway, to the questions:

1. If I download new songs, is the Pro-Drums option always available? If not, how do I know which songs have this feature? In the Wikipedia page for List of downloadable songs for the Rock Band series, the list mentions Pro-Guitar/Bass, but not drums. Can I assume that anything listed as "Pro-Guitar/Bass" also has Pro-Drums option?
2. I love that playing with Pro-Drums is actually transferrable to real drums. Is Pro-Guitar/Bass similarly transferrable? If so, where do I get the hardware? I know that Fender had something, but is now apparently discontinued. The only thing I can seem to find is something with a lot of buttons (but even this is not easy to source), which is not really the same as playing on actual strings.. Are there any options for a compatible guitar-to-midi interface that will work with RB4 Pro-Guitar/Bass?
3. In the Wikipedia page above, under the "additional features" column, there are songs listed as having the "Core" additional feature. What does this mean?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can weigh in / provide links, etc.
Cheers,
MM

Comments

• edited February 2
    Every song with percussion has Pro percussion, and Pro strings don't exist at all in 4 so neither of your other two questions come into play for the game you own.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited February 5
    BUt if we pretend you were asking those same questions about RB3, for which they are applicable:

2. I love that playing with Pro-Drums is actually transferrable to real drums. Is Pro-Guitar/Bass similarly transferrable? If so, where do I get the hardware? I know that Fender had something, but is now apparently discontinued. The only thing I can seem to find is something with a lot of buttons (but even this is not easy to source), which is not really the same as playing on actual strings.. Are there any options for a compatible guitar-to-midi interface that will work with RB4 Pro-Guitar/Bass?

For the most part. There are places where pro drum support doesn't map (hi hats, for instance) and there are places where pro guitar doesn't map (like bends and harmonics). The only officially supported pro guitars for RB3 pro guitar play were the Mustang (a toy midi guitar with a 17 fret x 6 button per fret neck, and six small string segments for strum detection) and the Squier (a real stringed 22-fret guitar that also detected fret pressure to send midi signals). The mustang was a videogame controller and needed no extra hardware purchase, but had a midi out if you wanted to use it as a midi guitar elsewhere; the Squier was not a videogame controller in its own right and needed the Midi Pro Adapter to interface to the game.

Any other guitar is not officially supported. Some might work and some might not but that's not HMX's concern. They never claimed to be compatible with a full range of midi guitars like they do for drums and keys.

3. In the Wikipedia page above, under the "additional features" column, there are songs listed as having the "Core" additional feature. What does this mean?

They're really not in charge of what Wiki editors use as shorthand, but generally "Core" in that table means "Harmonies if present, keys - both GRYBO and pro - if present". Basically stuff from before RB3 could not be expected to have harmonies or keys (though most of those have had harmonies added in their RB4 versions!) but for stuff issued in RB3's lifespan, that was 'core' functionality - the songs had those features if relevant. You'll get much better and more specific information on sites like rbdb.onine and dlcquickplay.com if this is relevant to you.

But as the owl said, if you're in RB4 alone, it isn't. RB4 doesn't have keys of any sort, nor pro guitar. And the overwhelming majority of songs now have harmonies if relevant - including many originally issued before RB3 that didn't have harmonies in RB3.
  • Thanks for the replies!
    ...but wait, are you saying that in RB4 there is no way to have a more "realistic" guitaring experience (assuming I could get a hold of some compatible hardware)? I've seen YouTube videos of people playing where it is essentially like a vertical scrolling guitar tab. This functionality is not available in RB4? If so, what a disappointment!

But if it IS available, could anyone kindly link to any discussions re: compatible guitar midi solutions?
    Like I say, really enjoying to "approximate" real drum experience, and it'd be awesome if I could do the same for guitar/bass.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    markmeer said:

Thanks for the replies!
    ...but wait, are you saying that in RB4 there is no way to have a more "realistic" guitaring experience (assuming I could get a hold of some compatible hardware)? I've seen YouTube videos of people playing where it is essentially like a vertical scrolling guitar tab. This functionality is not available in RB4? If so, what a disappointment!

But if it IS available, could anyone kindly link to any discussions re: compatible guitar midi solutions?
    Like I say, really enjoying to "approximate" real drum experience, and it'd be awesome if I could do the same for guitar/bass.

That was a feature in RB3, but they dropped it in RB4 because 1) it was too effort-intensive for the number of buys it was getting, and 2) Rocksmith has this ground covered in a more intuitive manner.