DLC Discussion Thread: The Bouncing Souls, Jeff Williams ft. Casey Lee Williams, and Senses Fail!

Comments

• There was definitely some complaints about the Spongebob stuff back in the day.... but then again complaints happen every week

I remember in the early Rock Band 3 days, where people were complaining about all the classic rock and dad rock wishing we would get something modern.
  • @TheStuddz . I don't see your posts as pissing and moaning or complaining. I see a person who has a strong passion and a lot of money invested in a game he loves. The bottom line is a lot of players are tired of Harmonix trying to pass on this garbage as good music. The thing that they don't seem to understand is that nobody is replacing us when the faithful stop buying songs.This isn't fortnite where gobs of new people join everyday. You can't find RB in stores anymore and new equipment is beyond expensive. I just hope they listen before it's too late. RBN songs just spell lazy and cheap to me.
  • Given the outcry for bringing back the RBN songs, I can understand why HMX would think that slowly rolling them out as regular DLC would work for them.

Even though I haven't bought the vast majority of these RB4 RBN DLC, I do hope that it's been a worthwhile financial decision for them. But I fear that it hasn't and also hope that it's not too late to alter the DLC release schedule.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I also bought a stupid number of eTopps cards [my previous obsession] while they were hot, and then as the program slowly died I bought more at a discount, and then when they stopped selling new cards I bought even more at a super-discount. And now the site barely functions [it's not linked to eBay anymore, and there is no one assigned to the program so nobody can fix it], and the shipping to have physical copies of cards that I own on the website is outrageously high, and nobody cares about the cards any more anyway. All the people I loved "competing" with, to get the best collection? They all cashed in years ago, at a big loss but not for ZERO which is essentially where I am.

Rock Band DLC = one of the very few things that I became obsessed with accumulating that worked out really well. And it doesn't even take up much space! If you don't count all of the instruments I have scattered about my man cave, and you totally have to count that, because it's not like you can ignore them ...
  • Wow, this challenge has even less eligible songs than the pre-70s challenge of Season 3. Only 48 to choose from.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

Vexus said:

HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

i think it's a sign of just how seriously HMX takes that song's "top 5" position that they released it for free. if they really thought it was gonna be such a huge seller, don't you think they would've tried to make money off of it? isn't that what businesses are supposed to do?

It's an incentive to buy Rivals, the thing that's 15x the price of a song. ; )
    To be fair, you do get more than 15x the content of a single song, and I don't just mean you get 16 songs! Or however many you get, I know it's way more than 16.

I wonder how many of the people complaining about the RWBY songs got mad when we got SpongeBob Squarepants?
    There will have been people who bought the Ozzy 8 pack just for Bark at the Moon, buying Rivals for This Will Be the Day isn't much different.
    I a.ways thought Mama, I’m Coming Home (also exclusive) to be the bigger hit, but chances are if you like Bark at the Moon, you like that whole 8 pack.

• djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Vexus said:

HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

i think it's a sign of just how seriously HMX takes that song's "top 5" position that they released it for free. if they really thought it was gonna be such a huge seller, don't you think they would've tried to make money off of it? isn't that what businesses are supposed to do?

To be fair, you do get more than 15x the content of a single song, and I don't just mean you get 16 songs! Or however many you get, I know it's way more than 16.

I wonder how many of the people complaining about the RWBY songs got mad when we got SpongeBob Squarepants?

Funny, you bring that up, that 3-song pack is still discounted (maybe always was) and yes, those songs are the scourge of the RB library
  • djb5f1 said:

I a.ways thought Mama, I’m Coming Home (also exclusive) to be the bigger hit, but chances are if you like Bark at the Moon, you like that whole 8 pack.

I'd say little of column A and a little of column B. The entire pack is a mix of songs that are quite noodly on guitar and songs that are kind of rock karaoke tracks and all eight have some appeal as both, but BATM is the one that's probably most noodly and MICH is the one that's probably the best sing-along. All eight fit both niches, but which one is the bigger draw depends on what you play Rock Band for.

For me personally, BATM was the bigger draw of the two.

(Crazy Train rewind when?)
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 7
    djb5f1 said:

Vexus said:

HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

There will have been people who bought the Ozzy 8 pack just for Bark at the Moon, buying Rivals for This Will Be the Day isn't much different.

My example was using GH, I remember plenty of comments in the forums about only wanting Mr. Crowley and Bark at the Moon from the pack (of course Mr. Crowley was available standalone). Combined with Sony locking people out from purchasing packs if they bought singles present in the packs, that week was a mess.

Only wanting Mama, I'm Coming Home for other reasons also works, I was just giving an example.
  • Intros9Intros9 Unsigned

Wow, this challenge has even less eligible songs than the pre-70s challenge of Season 3. Only 48 to choose from.

Reading on reddit that there is/was a display discrepancy between the app and the consoles that may have already been fixed.

• Terrible challenge song choices this week. If the anime song wasn’t bad enough...

• grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 7
    Intros9 said:

Wow, this challenge has even less eligible songs than the pre-70s challenge of Season 3. Only 48 to choose from.

Reading on reddit that there is/was a display discrepancy between the app and the consoles that may have already been fixed.

Yeah, total is more reasonable now. Still on the smaller side though.
    Like you mentioned before, at least it wasn't 60s and older week quantity of songs.

Looks like it's Rush, Nirvana, RHCP, and long Epic Rock songs this week. And the LP board front pages are going to be all FCs, based on how many of the songs my non-youngster self has GSed. At least the song selection is going to give me an excuse to try and bring Painkiller up to 5 stars on hard.
  • KidSleez said:

TheStuddz said:

Can I just take a second to apologize for how rude I can be to the fine people at Harmonix and all their hard work?

I know that Viacom isn't around to foot the bill anymore. I know there aren't people lining up at game stores to buy rhythm games and peripherals anymore. So I can't expect to get AAA rock songs every week. We were spoiled for a long time, so sometimes I forget that things must be very different behind-the-scenes at Rock Band, and they can no longer give us what they used to. My intention isn't to come to these forums and spew vitriol at every opportunity. I'm not a complainer at heart. I guess I was just so spoiled for so long that, even years later, it's hard to come to terms with the fact that things aren't what they were in 2008, 2011, or even 2017.

I love all of you at Harmonix, and don't mean to discredit everything you do. The fact that we're still getting DLC on a weekly basis is incredible, even if it takes a few months at a time to get things that I personally am excited for. There's an audience for everything, and HMX knows what sells far better than I do. I'll always miss the feeling of coming to these forums and being giddy as a schoolboy on a near-weekly basis. But I'll try to be doubly appreciative when those weeks do come.

TL;DR I'll try to take a chill pill and limit my complaints to once a week in the DLC discussion threads, as per tradition.

I don't think you or I or others are awful for offering up our opinions. We're the customers here and we should have a voice as well. Like you, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what HMX does in keeping RB moving.
    I think the point was less about offering up opinions and more about the manner in which they're delivered. I can respect @TheStuddz for apologising for it and aiming to be more constructive about it though. I'm prone to going off on rants myself on the particularly dire weeks, or when someone says or does something to piss me off myself, and could probably do with doing much the same.

Though I will say that I think it would be cool if we had more posts in the Your Ultimate Setlist forum, considering how passionate people seem to get about what we could have rather than what we do get.
  • Vexus said:

I think the point was less about offering up opinions and more about the manner in which they're delivered. I can respect @TheStuddz for apologising for it and aiming to be more constructive about it though. I'm prone to going off on rants myself on the particularly dire weeks, or when someone says or does something to piss me off myself, and could probably do with doing much the same.

Hey, if anyone can understand, haha...ha...ha...
  • HMXOwl said:

Vexus said:

Hey, if anyone can understand, haha...ha...ha...
    What are you trying to say, feathers? :tongue:
  • Vexus said:

KidSleez said:

TheStuddz said:

Can I just take a second to apologize for how rude I can be to the fine people at Harmonix and all their hard work?

I know that Viacom isn't around to foot the bill anymore. I know there aren't people lining up at game stores to buy rhythm games and peripherals anymore. So I can't expect to get AAA rock songs every week. We were spoiled for a long time, so sometimes I forget that things must be very different behind-the-scenes at Rock Band, and they can no longer give us what they used to. My intention isn't to come to these forums and spew vitriol at every opportunity. I'm not a complainer at heart. I guess I was just so spoiled for so long that, even years later, it's hard to come to terms with the fact that things aren't what they were in 2008, 2011, or even 2017.

I love all of you at Harmonix, and don't mean to discredit everything you do. The fact that we're still getting DLC on a weekly basis is incredible, even if it takes a few months at a time to get things that I personally am excited for. There's an audience for everything, and HMX knows what sells far better than I do. I'll always miss the feeling of coming to these forums and being giddy as a schoolboy on a near-weekly basis. But I'll try to be doubly appreciative when those weeks do come.

TL;DR I'll try to take a chill pill and limit my complaints to once a week in the DLC discussion threads, as per tradition.

I don't think you or I or others are awful for offering up our opinions. We're the customers here and we should have a voice as well. Like you, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what HMX does in keeping RB moving.

Though I will say that I think it would be cool if we had more posts in the Your Ultimate Setlist forum, considering how passionate people seem to get about what we could have rather than what we do get.
    I didn't see anything particularly wrong or hostile about what Studdz (or anyone else, for that matter) said. There was no name-calling or finger-pointing. Seemed more like lamenting the differences between DLC then and now more than anything else. I'm not sure how we can be any more constructive in what we say. Other than hitting up the request page, we don't have any affect on what gets released as DLC, and even that is not guaranteed to have any effect.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...

I’m curious as to if Owls statement about RBGYbbeing in the top 5 requested DLC is “of all time” ...or just as of RB4 or some other timeframe?

If “of all time”, than wow! Who’dve thunk?

if “of some other lesser time” - what timeframe is that? ...and exactly how many requests would place it in one of those top 5? ...10’s? 100’s? 1000’s?! of requests?

Has that updated request list ever been shared after that one time?

i guess I’m just really curious as to what number of requests would make HMX “try harder” to get something.

• tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Why is one of the most influential punk bands of the '90s sorted under Alternative? Alternative's becoming just as amorphous as the generic Rock genre.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    BachiG said:

I’m curious as to if Owls statement about RBGYbbeing in the top 5 requested DLC is “of all time” ...or just as of RB4 or some other timeframe?

If “of all time”, than wow! Who’dve thunk?

if “of some other lesser time” - what timeframe is that? ...and exactly how many requests would place it in one of those top 5? ...10’s? 100’s? 1000’s?! of requests?

Has that updated request list ever been shared after that one time?

i guess I’m just really curious as to what number of requests would make HMX “try harder” to get something.

Top 5 of the RB4 era, still an impressive campaign to get it that high.
  • tdc002 said:

Why is one of the most influential punk bands of the '90s sorted under Alternative? Alternative's becoming just as amorphous as the generic Rock genre.

Same reason CHVRCHES are, I'd imagine. At least The Bouncing Souls (I assume that's who you're referring to) fit more neatly than a band that's objectively at least one-third of the pop/dance/electronic tag!
    BachiG said:

Guessing thousands to tens of thousands here.

Considering I've requested Run Runaway and Train of Consequences (it feels like) hundreds of time myself alone. :#

(goes and requests them again)
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    1 person requesting a thousand times doesn't have as much power as 100 people requesting one time.
    Organize and conquer!
    I'm game to create dedicated threads by decades/genres with single song or 3-pack posts. Anything past X likes/agrees and we all go request the song. I pretty much already do this with the DLC discussion threads, but like you say, power in numbers...
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

i guess maybe it is if enough of those people don't even own or play the game.

Correct, but nothing makes that scenario more likely with a RWBY song than any other song ever recorded and requested. This whole thing is just people who don't have an interest in it grasping at straws to delegitimize it. It's ok to say a thing is popular even if you don't like it! Doesn't change anything about your life or tastes, people.
    tnevaker said:

when something suddenly gets a ton of requests out of the blue, it's certainly a lot less likely than for the typical songs people request. an organized campaign is less likely to have a large percentage of "sellable" requesters than a similar number of cumulative requests generated independently of each other. surely you guys realize this. i'm sure the same thing was true about all those requests for "Never Gonna Give You Up" during the RB3 era. i'm sure the percentages vs. sales on that song were less than normal too, since a lot of people requested it for reasons not related to actually wanting to buy it.

maybe the extra sales of rivals is enough to make it worthwhile for you guys. did you actually see a significant uptick in rivals sales as a result of this promotion?
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    Vexus said:

HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

we were getting a lot more DLC back then. it's easy to tolerate a few gimmick songs here and there when it's an overall much smaller percentage of the new DLC being released.