So Harmonix, did Neversoft/Activision ever request compatibility?

MagnetMagnet Moderator
edited August 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
I remember hearing that if they requested the Strats to work with GH3, you could make it compatible.

If they requested it, could you tell us?

If they didn't request it, is there any possible way you could make it compatible without needing a request from them? Or does that like violate something?

Comments

• GhaleonGhaleon Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    I doubt anyone from Harmonix would be allowed to say one way or the other.

Considering Red Octane's involvement in GH3 (as a peripheral maker), I'd guess they would do everything in their power to avoid having anything but their own devices work in GH3. As for the case of GH3 controllers working in Rock Band, the best chance would be to have a key config option menu for mapping the standard controller buttons to different guitar inputs. This wouldn't guarentee compatibility, but ought not be terribly difficult to implement just in case RO simply maps buttons in a wonky order to keep their guitar usable only in their game.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Ghaleon;34949 said:
    I doubt anyone from Harmonix would be allowed to say one way or the other.
    Yeah, I figure this might be the case, but I'll take a post saying "We're not allowed to comment" if that's all they can say. (And one might assume that if Neversoft/Activision never requested it, then it wouldn't be a problem to just pass that tiny bit of information to us since there'd be no stipulating contract stating that Harmonix can't say anything about it yet.)
  • PurpleHazePurpleHaze Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    Ghaleon;34949 said:
    Considering Red Octane's involvement in GH3 (as a peripheral maker), I'd guess they would do everything in their power to avoid having anything but their own devices work in GH3. As for the case of GH3 controllers working in Rock Band, the best chance would be to have a key config option menu for mapping the standard controller buttons to different guitar inputs. This wouldn't guarentee compatibility, but ought not be terribly difficult to implement just in case RO simply maps buttons in a wonky order to keep their guitar usable only in their game.
    I honestly don't understand this issue. I don't know if there's been any confirmation, but GH3 is presumably going to be compatible with the old GH2 guitars. And we already know that Rock Band will be compatible with the old GH2 guitars. Therefore, for that to work, they must both be using the same input mechanisms and button mappings, and therefore their new guitars must also surely be compatible with each other.

It seems like both companies are being purposefully vague on this topic, because neither of them particularly like the idea of being compatible with their rival.
  • edited August 2007
    PurpleHaze;35674 said:
    GH3 is presumably going to be compatible with the old GH2 guitars. And we already know that Rock Band will be compatible with the old GH2 guitars. Therefore, for that to work, they must both be using the same input mechanisms and button mappings, and therefore their new guitars must also surely be compatible with each other.
    Not necessarily. The older controllers, although they may work in the new games, still have different mapping. The game will be programmed to know which guitar you are using and work accordingly.

Example, the 3rd party Guitar Mania guitars work on GH1 on PS2, so do the original black SG's for GH1. The original Black SG's also work on GH2, however the Guitar Mania ones do not.
  • PurpleHazePurpleHaze Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    sa_nick;35683 said:
    Not necessarily. The older controllers, although they may work in the new games, still have different mapping. The game will be programmed to know which guitar you are using and work accordingly.

Example, the 3rd party Guitar Mania guitars work on GH1 on PS2, so do the original black SG's for GH1. The original Black SG's also work on GH2, however the Guitar Mania ones do not.
    Hmm, good point - if the controllers send some form of identifier to the console, then even if the mappings are all the same, they could easily "block" other guitars by only recognizing their own identifier.

To me, this is exactly the type of thing that should be "open", and to be fair to Harmonix their implementation apparently is - "use any number of other third-party guitars supported by Rock Band's 'open source' software". Whereas if RO/Neversoft's implementation is closed and incompatible, then that's a case of deliberately using technology to artificially limit the customer's choice.

Oh well, yet another reason to dislike RO and to support Harmonix - like I didn't have enough of those already ;)
  • mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Here's to hoping for compatitbility!
    I really hope this isn't an issue cause I'm buying the Les Paul with GH3 and I'm DEFINITELY getting the bundle for Rock Band. I would love to have 2 different wireless guitars. It spices things up and makes it easier to distinguish who's playing what.

ps. WOO HOO! 100 posts lol--- I'm finally a Senior Member!
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Isn't this between RedOctane and EA? Not Neversoft, Activision, or Harmonix.
  • edited August 2007
    Xzyliac;35749 said:
    Isn't this between RedOctane and EA? Not Neversoft, Activision, or Harmonix.
    no, it is not
  • hmxgrichhmxgrich Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    Actually I think it is between RedOctane and Harmonix.

RO are the ones that make the peripherals for GH, as HMX made RB peripherals.

I believe it would be up to them. But if that were true, I think RO would allow it. It's Activision who are the a-holes.
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Apples;35929 said:
    no, it is not
    Yes it is. RedOctane publishes GH Activision just owns the name. EA has involvement in the development in the same way RedOctane does.

Neversoft/Harmonix develop software (although Harmonix has input). MTV provides artistic benefits and own Harmonix as a network.

Long story short EA and RedOctand decide if one supports the other.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Xzyliac;35949 said:
    Yes it is. RedOctane publishes GH Activision just owns the name. EA has involvement in the development in the same way RedOctane does.

Neversoft/Harmonix develop software (although Harmonix has input). MTV provides artistic benefits and own Harmonix as a network.

Long story short EA and RedOctand decide if one supports the other.
    Here's a small bit from Wikipedia (I remember this statement from a long while ago even though it's strangely difficult to find on the internet now):

Harmonix has confirmed Guitar Hero guitar controllers will be compatible with the game, as well as other third-party guitar controllers.[11][7] The company has also said that Rock Band will also support the use of additional third-party controllers, and, should Activision (the current publishers of Guitar Hero) request it, they can make the Rock Band guitar controller work with Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock.

It certainly sounds like it's between Harmonix and Activision, which makes the most sense. Harmonix may not be the one who can make the RB controller work with GH3 (unless they're working with creating the hardware as well as the software?), but I think they have a vested interest in the matter since they were formerly partnered with RedOctane. Maybe EA doesn't care less about the issue, but HMX might like to see their former franchise play with their new guitar.

And I don't know what you mean by Activision just owning "the name." What name? Activision owns the company of RedOctane completely now. Activision is publishing GH3.
  • Phrank-EPhrank-E Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    MrtyMcfly;35942 said:
    Actually I think it is between RedOctane and Harmonix.

RO are the ones that make the peripherals for GH, as HMX made RB peripherals.

I believe it would be up to them. But if that were true, I think RO would allow it. It's Activision who are the a-holes.
    RO was built upon making DDR pads for the Konami games.. Now, Knowing this, I found it repulsive that when the TAC Fling V guitar controller came out that RO changes the code around on GH2 to disallow the TACs use. Hypocrisy.

This was long before Activision bought them out. So I would say NO! RO would not allow it. Activision or no Activision.