Most Overrated Band

Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
I'll say Queen. They treat Queen like.....well, Queens. Queen are so overrated, they make Nirvana, GNR, and Metallica look underated!

NOTE: NONE of these bands suck in my mind.

Comments

  • alexlucky0alexlucky0 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    I think Queen is, I can't stand them
  • Ninjapenguin777Ninjapenguin777 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Queen and The Ramones
  • KingofQUEEN92KingofQUEEN92 Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    um just because Queens greatest hits are not hard rock dosent mean there over rated...they had more hard rock/metal songs than they did soft songs....they just arnt as popular dont judge a band by its hits...
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Queen is defintaly not overated they made true music even if it were a clash between clasical and hard rock it was really complex music.

    How are the velvet underground Overated? they were one of the first bands to write tabbo lyrics about heroin and Killing yourself.

    I would say the most overated band on that list is Iron maiden. never found anything special about their music. its repeditive. its just not fun music and yet people act like they are the greatest band ever

    Rush is also extreamly overated And so is Led Zeppelin

    Why is the who on that list?
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    i voted for iron maiden, but i would have also voted for Rush
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Tool. Great musicians. Boring songs. Boring live band.
  • JustAndrew420JustAndrew420 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Metallica - If you ask me, they seem to feed off the same song changing it only slightly to make it "new". Now I haven't listened to them intently or studied their music, but I feel like I've been there when I listen to there song, it's a similar format. Either, A; Slow start then gradually goes to a heavy metal feel, or B; Stays heavy metal the entire time until end.

    Which isn't to say they aren't talented at playing there respected instruments, but people put them as gods among men, which they just are not...

    Guns 'N' Roses - A lot of credit they get, and they are good songwriters, but there isn't anything special for Bass and I don't think Slash is anything above a 'good' guitar player. Also, Axel has a very specific kind of voice, so it's a shame that he wrote songs like "November Rain". Mainly because he just doesn't have the kind of voice to sing it.

    And how can anyone say Queen is overrated? I guess it's all opinion, but still....
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    JustAndrew420;311480 said:

    And how can anyone say Queen is overrated? I guess it's all opinion, but still....
    I put my answer on the other thread on this topic. It was a long answer with evidence to back up my claims, but here is the short version: Freddie is overrated as a singer because he blew his vocal cords out early, and had to work around that the rest of his career. That's fact. Here's opinion: the band is over-rated because too much weight is given to a handful of awesome tunes, and the rest of the catalog is pretty damn boring.
  • KingofQUEEN92KingofQUEEN92 Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    OMG dude ur pissing me off! u bash Queen because freddie mercury threw his voice out later in life? Thats the worst reason to hate a band i have ever heard.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    KingofQUEEN92;311501 said:
    OMG dude ur pissing me off! u bash Queen because freddie mercury threw his voice out later in life? Thats the worst reason to hate a band i have ever heard.
    Did I ever say I hated the band! Au Contraire. They're in my iPod. I have several favorites.

    But this is about over-rating. Freddie gets rated as a great singer. Freddie had a great voice. BUT YOU GET NODULES FROM BAD SINGING. And it was not later in life. Here's an interview from 1977:
    Never having had a singing lesson, Freddie has the rawest vocal-cord nodules this side of Stevie Nicks.
    from http://queenarchives.com/viewtopic.php?t=32
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    No DragonForce in the poll?
  • ZidaneZidane Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Anyone picking Queen is picking them because of their immediate hits. I don't think some people listen to their songs outside of Another one Bites the Dust, We are the Champions, and Bohemian Rhapsody. Listening to their albums shows how complex they really are and how beautiful the writing and music is.

    I'd have to say either Led Zeppelin or Rush as the most overrated bands. Maybe it's in defense of my favorite band, but I really see too much praise for Zeppelin and Rush.
  • KingofQUEEN92KingofQUEEN92 Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    Zidane;311526 said:
    Anyone picking Queen is picking them because of their immediate hits. I don't think some people listen to their songs outside of Another one Bites the Dust, We are the Champions, and Bohemian Rhapsody. Listening to their albums shows how complex they really are and how beautiful the writing and music is.

    I'd have to say either Led Zeppelin or Rush as the most overrated bands. Maybe it's in defense of my favorite band, but I really see too much praise for Zeppelin and Rush.
    I LOVE YOU MAN! HAHAHA
  • KingofQUEEN92KingofQUEEN92 Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    O yea and OldFogey last time i checked the bands name is Queen not Freddie Mercurys the only one in this band. There for you cant call them over rated if you only think 25% of this band is over-rated...
  • HadokenchildHadokenchild Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    I voted for U2 just cus it's not my thing and becaus eI couldn'r think of any other band not listed that would compare hype wise to them. Maybe Bush or Oasis I guess would have been a better choice. Seriously tho, this thread is just a byproduct of the generational gap. The music created today can be traced back to all bands on this list. These bands influenced the youths of the late 80's and early 90's to make music themselfs. They may be overated to those under 21 but they are the heroes to the bands most of you guys listen to now. And this will happen when you guys start to hit 30 or so and some kid says Rage Against The Machine was one of the worst ever. It's gonna happen every generation, and it's unavoidable.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    How does Iron Maiden have so many votes? Iron Maiden is one of the best metal bands ever.

    I voted for U2. I respect them for how they have helped Ireland, but I'm not a huge fan of their music. And Bono's ego is so big that you can see it.
  • Will-sanWill-san Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I voted for Metallica. they are not the worst band on the list but overrated doesn't mean they aren't good, just not as good as people seem to think. I think Oasis is probably the most overrated band I can think of.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Even if Queen had only wrote 1 single song (Bohemian Rhapsody), they would be one of the best bands ever. Bohemian Rhapsody is a masterpiece. I don't like all Queen's work but they surely arent overrated, they are probably underrated. An overrated band is a band that is very, very popular for no apparent reason. Guns and Roses is more popular than other bands like Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Yes, The Who, The Doors, etc. Why? Because of a mass effect, that's all. I'm not saying they are not great! I'm saying they are not better than these other amazing bands. Same thing for a lot of bands like Iron Maiden.

    And don't get me wrong, I really love Iron Maiden, it's one of my favorite metal bands but I don't claim they are the best metal band.
  • CML207CML207 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I voted Metallica...I hear way to much hype on them, and I really cant get in to most of there music...

    Im really suprised to see so many votes for Queen and Maiden...Maiden dosnt get much hype at all, hard to call them overated...And Queen gets some hype, but they deserve way more than they get
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Queen - Overated in some respects, But had alot of great music. Their music was very complex and well written. Sure the lyrics arent the best and at times a little fruity, they are catchy.

    U2- I cant see whats so great about this band. Their songs arent very complex and lack energy.

    Metallica- I was never a fan of metalica but i dont think they are overated. Enter sandman might be the first mainstream metal song ive herd. But i havent herd enough of their material to judge

    Tool-Never a fan, I listend to them a few times and couldent stand it. I don't see anything special about it. they seem like the generic Experimental metal band.

    Guns 'N' Roses- I think they get a little two much credit but they do have some great songs. But they are way to popular for how good their songs are

    Nirvana - another one who have some good songs but are way to popular. Their songs arent that great but the lyrical content is appealing to teenagers like me.

    Velvet Undreground - Amazingly inventive band that dosent belong on the list. Their the only band ive ever herd to play an overdrivn violin. Their songs were some of the first to talk about subjects like drugs and Gettos.

    Iron Maiden-All i hear is how great iron maiden is. yet their songs are so repedtitvie its not funny. the drums for RTTH dosent change and neither dose number of the beat. Its boring energless metal. the only thing i like is that they have interesting lyrics sometimes. And i cannot stand that dudes voice.

    The Who (Here because they beat the Stones)-No reason for them on hear. If anything they are underated. Not getting credit for their influences. The greatest live band and the loudest band in the world.

    Bands that should be on the list.

    Rush- Math based rock is one of the worst things ever and they get way to much credit for having these amazing complex songs. yea when you take an algebra problem translate it into sheet music you get "YYZ" its just not rock and its not fun to listen too.

    Led Zeppelin-Stairway is the most overrated song ever. Yea they get way to much Credit for ripping off many artists. their songs are nothing special.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited February 2008
    HOW THE FOR UNLAWFUL CARNIAL KNOWLEDGE IS THE WHO UNDERRATED?!?

    The Who are always concidered the Best live band and the loudest!

    The Public feels the same as you do!!!!!!

    The Who are overrated!
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited February 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;312321 said:
    HOW THE FOR UNLAWFUL CARNIAL KNOWLEDGE IS THE WHO UNDERRATED?!?

    The Who are always concidered the Best live band and the loudest!

    The Public feels the same as you do!!!!!!

    The Who are overrated!
    Bullcrap! Led Zeppelin are more overrated than the Who. Most people at my school don't know any songs by the Who.
  • Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    [QUOTE=BhindBluEyes430;311179]Queen is defintaly not overated they made true music even if it were a clash between clasical and hard rock it was really complex music.

    How are the velvet underground Overated? they were one of the first bands to write tabbo lyrics about heroin and Killing yourself.

    I would say the most overated band on that list is Iron maiden. never found anything special about their music. its repeditive. its just not fun music and yet people act like they are the greatest band ever

    Rush is also extreamly overated And so is Led Zeppelin

    Why is the who on that list?[/]

    So basically if you don't like the band they are overrated? I have to say I really disagree with you saying Rush and Iron Maiden being overrated. I don't really like Maiden a whole lot, but I don't deny their musical talents.
  • LetsRockLetsRock Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Kiss. I can't stand most of their songs.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited February 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;312338 said:
    Bullcrap! Led Zeppelin are more overrated than the Who. Most people at my school don't know any songs by the Who.
    Au Contrare, Led Zeppelin are too important to be overrated.
  • Highlandlassie1Highlandlassie1 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    JustAndrew420;311480 said:
    Metallica - If you ask me, they seem to feed off the same song changing it only slightly to make it "new". Now I haven't listened to them intently or studied their music, but I feel like I've been there when I listen to there song, it's a similar format. Either, A; Slow start then gradually goes to a heavy metal feel, or B; Stays heavy metal the entire time until end.

    Which isn't to say they aren't talented at playing there respected instruments, but people put them as gods among men, which they just are not...

    Guns 'N' Roses - A lot of credit they get, and they are good songwriters, but there isn't anything special for Bass and I don't think Slash is anything above a 'good' guitar player. Also, Axel has a very specific kind of voice, so it's a shame that he wrote songs like "November Rain". Mainly because he just doesn't have the kind of voice to sing it.

    And how can anyone say Queen is overrated? I guess it's all opinion, but still....
    Quoted from Sully of Godsmack at a Godsmack/Metallica concert.

    "People say that Pantera is the King of Metal, that being said, God, is about to walk onto this stage"

    I agree, Metallica is God in the Heavy metal genre, and they deserve the title.

    U2 has a huge fanbase, but their music is meh..........Overrated.

    And to the guy that said Led Zeppelin is overrated, ask any modern heavy rock band, what inspired them. The answer is almost always Led Zeppelin.
    They also deserve their "rating".
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited February 2008
    Highlandlassie1;312459 said:
    And to the guy that said Led Zeppelin is overrated, ask any modern heavy rock band, what inspired them. The answer is almost always Led Zeppelin.
    They also deserve their "rating".
    Aaaaaaand what does that have to do with them being overrated?
  • JustAndrew420JustAndrew420 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Highlandlassie1;312459 said:
    Quoted from Sully of Godsmack at a Godsmack/Metallica concert.

    "People say that Pantera is the King of Metal, that being said, God, is about to walk onto this stage"

    I agree, Metallica is God in the Heavy metal genre, and they deserve the title.

    Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would love to hear your reasons as to why they not overrated?

    EDIT: Also, I'm definitely seeing a lot of opinions in here, I can't believe some people actually think that The Who are overrated. If anything, they don't get enough credit. In my opinion, apart from the greats like Moon and Townshend, John is probably the greatest bass player, bar none.
  • LetsRockLetsRock Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    JustAndrew420;312502 said:
    Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would love to hear your reasons as to why they not overrated?
    Because Metallica got in the game with a groundbreaking overall approach and unfailable focus and talent that blew most hair metal and sunset strip bands out of the water, almost saving metal from completely dying or sinking into something that it was never meant to be by reuniting all HEAVY music lovers with their undeniable talent and dedication.

    For example, rap needs it's own metallica right now, because it's dying and/or sinking into something it was never meant to be.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    I want to hear why anybody would choose Iron Maiden. If anything I think Iron Maiden is underrated.
Sign In or Register to comment.