Most Overrated Band

Comments

• EnigmarushEnigmarush Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Ajax2006;315939 said:
    Where is Kiss? Worst ****ing band ever.
    Watch your mouth when you speak of Kiss. Without them and a few other bands music would not be what it is today. They were the first to wear make up(new york dolls)....any metal band that does that now days is accepted because of Kiss. When they first came out, parents thought they were demons, the closest bands I can think of that would be viewed as that now a days would be like ...Mushroom head or Slipknot. You can say you dont like their music, but you cannot say they are the worst band ever.
  • XeRo133XeRo133 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    hmm kiss may have influinced bands.. bands that suck all the ones you just mentioned anyways. their music is over rated yes by far more then other bands, theres kiss everything for ***** sakes.

but i thik areosmith is an over rated band too, funny to watch but overrated
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Enigmarush;316058 said:
    Watch your mouth when you speak of Kiss. Without them and a few other bands music would not be what it is today. They were the first to wear make up(new york dolls)....any metal band that does that now days is accepted because of Kiss. When they first came out, parents thought they were demons, the closest bands I can think of that would be viewed as that now a days would be like ...Mushroom head or Slipknot. You can say you dont like their music, but you cannot say they are the worst band ever.
    Yes because rock would miss the makeup. Parents thought the rolling stones were demons too. Sympathy for the devil. I wouldent say worst band ever. Just defintaly dosenot deserve the credit they do.

Areosmith is overated theirs nothing special about doing what the stones were doing 5 years before they formed
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited February 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;316211 said:
    Parents thought the rolling stones were demons too. Sympathy for the devil.
    Yeah, too bad they let the title fool them. It's the Screwtape Letters* of Rock.

*A Christian book told from a demon's perspective.
  • EnigmarushEnigmarush Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    oh hell yeah kiss was overrated....but they didnt flat out suck lol
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited February 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;316345 said:
    Yeah, too bad they let the title fool them. It's the Screwtape Letters* of Rock.

*A Christian book told from a deamon's perspective.
    C.S. Lewis?
    edited February 2008
    TheCrimsonSaint;315792 said:
    Iron Maiden needs to be removed from this list, as does The Who. They should be replaced with Led Zeppelin and AC/DC (post Bon Scott era). Led Zeppelin, holy ****, how did they ever get so popular? They're not bad, but they sure as hell aren't anything special. They wrote, what, 5 interesting songs? They were terrible songwriters. Also, Page's voice was not that great.
    And that's where I stopped reading.... :facepalm:

Also something as subjective as "interesting" should be followed by an "IMO" tyvm. But I agree that Stairway is nothing special. Kashmir, Stairway and Black Dog (and basically all of IV) overshadow so many great songs, it's not even funny. EVERY DAMN DAY my classic rock station plays either Black Dog or Stairway or Kashmir. wtf.
  • DovageDovage Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    I know that Im a newbie to this forum, but it seems to me that everyone is confusing, fame, buzz, noteriety etc. with being overrated. Just because a band is immensly famous or known doesn't automatically make them overrated does it? I think your overrated when peopl go crazy over you for a time and 20 years later no one knows who you are, and no one cares. Most of the bands on this list have been around for at least 20 years and they are all still relevent and continue to have huge fan bases. If a band has that kind of staying power they deserve all the slobbering and air play the get.
    My point how many people are still huge Oasis, Silver Chair, They Might Be Giants, Belly, etc. fans? And there no older or dated then Nirvana or Pearl Jam.
  • HadokenchildHadokenchild Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Dovage;316779 said:
    I know that Im a newbie to this forum, but it seems to me that everyone is confusing, fame, buzz, noteriety etc. with being overrated. Just because a band is immensly famous or known doesn't automatically make them overrated does it? I think your overrated when peopl go crazy over you for a time and 20 years later no one knows who you are, and no one cares. Most of the bands on this list have been around for at least 20 years and they are all still relevent and continue to have huge fan bases. If a band has that kind of staying power they deserve all the slobbering and air play the get.
    My point how many people are still huge Oasis, Silver Chair, They Might Be Giants, Belly, etc. fans? And there no older or dated then Nirvana or Pearl Jam.
    Agreed, though I would have to include bands that are absolutely horrid live. Any band that can't play what they record at least has an overrated album, if not overrated completely. Still, the biggest differnce in judgement regarding this is wether or not you are a musician. If you asked actual proffesional musicians this same question and presented this same list you would get lectured and how innacurate it is and why these bands influenced them to pick up a guitar and whatnot. Just wait till VH1 airs it top 100 greatest rock bands episode because the results are determined by actual musicians. I would think that the pros will know a bit more about tallent than any of us here. I also bet the top 10 will be filled with classic rock.
  • thejollyjanitorthejollyjanitor Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    LetsRock;314953 said:
    Agreed, Tool was a WHOLE band. Everything about them felt like TOOL. You buy a tool album you get creepy music, creepy artwork, creepy videos, creepy lyrics, the works. The music is good too and carries exactly what you expect, unlike.....

Kiss. Seriously, when I was young I was looking at Kiss pictures thinking these guys look like they can Kill some of the bands I listen to. Boy, was I wrong, this was the most uninspired music I had ever heard. I've never been let down that much by a band in my life I think. They should've left the makeup at home, or played heavier music cause Kiss is the BIGGEST half-ass band to ever roll out of a practice space.

And then you watch Metal documentaries all around and Gene Simmons has no problem saying "Yeah we made a spectacle out of ourselves, that was the point" hey thanks Gene now I know why the music was so bad and uninspired.

I'll take Twisted Sisters over Kiss ANYDAY. ANYTIME. Dee snyder could at least whip some ass in a courtroom, instead of devoting his life to producing toothpaste tubes with his band on it.
    The main reason that Tool hasnt been on the DLC is because they dont want to sell out so to speak. I really like the idea but I dont believe they will allow it at all. They should consider at least allowing something just not all of it. The problem is that the lyrics are pretty graphic in nature and some might find them offensive to the younger generations. Tool took so long to produce Undertow is because of label issues. Now they control their own destiny and some times that helps them if they understand the music industry. Tool is legit when it comes to their style and obscene sense of difference when it comes to the popular musical radio crap. Their are many songs which Im sure would offend certain people. I love Tool and hope they come to terms with allowing their music to be on the Rock Band DLC
  • OSUjenOSUjen Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Why is Tool even on here? I never hear hundreds of people drool over them like say, The Beatles. (That wasn't a shot, it was an example) :P
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited February 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;316612 said:
    C.S. Lewis?
    Yep. At least that's one interpritation of the song.
  • gorillawarfaregorillawarfare Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    U2 has released the same song a hundred times with a different titles.
  • KeeblerKeebler Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    This thread sucks ridiculous ass. These are some of the best, most influential bands of all-time. And here these elitist Internet posters are suggesting they don't deserve the success or influence that they have enjoyed. I honestly don't understand it.

Stop using the word "overrated." I don't think many people actually understand what it means.
    gorillawarfare;319096 said:
    U2 has released the same song a hundred times with a different titles.
    ... have you ever actually listened to more than one song of their's? Holy crap.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Keebler;319713 said:
    This thread sucks ridiculous ass.

Stop using the word "overrated." I don't think many people actually understand what it means.

... have you ever actually listened to more than one song of their's? Holy crap.
    I figured he just kept buying the same CD single over and over again. :D
  • ZarovichXZarovichX Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    I don't believe any of those bands on the list are over-rated. Bands like Judas Priest, White Lion, Silver Chair, Golden Earring, Cinderella, and White Snake may be over-rated.
  • edited February 2008
    I voted Iron Maiden because they are regarded as gods of Metal but I have heard much better. It seems to me like they just don't fit together - somehow. And, Dio makes my ears bleed.
  • footballover494footballover494 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    This Goes to CML207

When you asked if I was an Elvis fan I answer yes I can sit through his songs but what you argued was that he did covers of songs that weren't originally popular BUT HE ACTUALLY GAVE CREDIT TO THE PEOPLE WHO WROTE THEM he didn't blow them of completely he payed them for what he owed them for covering them HE DIDN'T STEAL THEIR SONGS AND SCREW THEM OVER AND BECOME A CULTURAL ICON ON FALSE PRETENSES!

by the way THE WHO IS STILL GOD
    edited February 2008
    footballover494;320948 said:
    HE DIDN'T STEAL THEIR SONGS AND SCREW THEM OVER AND BECOME A CULTURAL ICON ON FALSE PRETENSES!
    Their most famous songs are original or credited.
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited February 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;316618 said:
    And that's where I stopped reading.... :facepalm:

Also something as subjective as "interesting" should be followed by an "IMO" tyvm. But I agree that Stairway is nothing special. Kashmir, Stairway and Black Dog (and basically all of IV) overshadow so many great songs, it's not even funny. EVERY DAMN DAY my classic rock station plays either Black Dog or Stairway or Kashmir. wtf.
    If you had continued reading, you would have noticed that at the end of my post I did, indeed, say, "This is all, of course, in my humble opinion". Because it is overwhelmingly obvious from Led Zeppelin's succes (deserved or not) that it is only my opinion that Page couldn't sing for his life. I'm not here to rule out anyone else using absolute's.
  • gameover77gameover77 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    alright this is my thought...
    i voted for nirvana... nirvana is just trash and thats...

now tool... i have never heard heard any of their songs and people tell me what they sound like...it reminds of nirvana...which is trash

The who...who? all of their songs are a joke... "we dont get fooled again" well guys dont get fooled again because their trash...

kiss... kiss isnt the greatest band... i do like some of their stuff but there is far worse bands...

Queen is overrated... but they are good(unlike nirvana) i really hope to see queen dlc in the future

metallica...alright this is just trash almost as bad as nirvana but i actually like 1 of their songs its funny its "one" enter sandman is the most overrated piece of trash ive everheard

guns n roses-i love their work... but in 20 years they have released only 5 albums... and theres one theve been working on for 13...awful...

iron maiden... yes they are one of the better heavy metal bands but i hate seeing wraithchild being released i dont want to hear him get his man

U2-can burn

velvet underground-i dont know them they sound alright so their ok...

now if it was up to me the worst band of all time are the gays known as fall out boy but im glad no one has brought them up...
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    TheCrimsonSaint;321155 said:
    If you had continued reading, you would have noticed that at the end of my post I did, indeed, say, "This is all, of course, in my humble opinion". Because it is overwhelmingly obvious from Led Zeppelin's succes (deserved or not) that it is only my opinion that Page couldn't sing for his life. I'm not here to rule out anyone else using absolute's.
    It's Robert Plant, not Jimmy Page, you twat, hence why Julio stopped reading after that. You lost any credibility after than.
  • tombradytombrady Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    gameover77;321335 said:

now tool... i have never heard heard any of their songs and people tell me what they sound like...it reminds of nirvana...which is trash

The who...who? all of their songs are a joke... "we dont get fooled again" well guys dont get fooled again because their trash...

Since the rest of your post indicates that you're probably not much older than 13 or you have a learning disability, I shouldn't be taking this seriously, but I am going to.

Tool is NOTHING like Nirvana, that's laughable. So people describe their sound, and you decide that it probably sounds like Nirvana? You smart!

And the Who...their songs are a joke eh?

I agree that Nirvana is probably the most overrated on that list, but god damn you're a dumbass.
  • RavaanaRavaana Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I like most of the bands listed, with the exception of Nirvana and Metallica. So I voted for Nirvana, the greater of two evils.

Personally, I thought that the grunge scene was not really a great addition to rock history, and these guys "led the way" so to speak.

UKJ, Pearl Jam, and a few others were alot better bands than these guys. The simplicity of the songs is what caught everyone, not true talent. Even if the members of the bands are talented, which some were, and one of thier members was martyred...... I think that the band could have been alot better if Kurt hadn't spent most of his time writing whiney muddled lyrics that would appeal to the same audience he hated. Teenagers..... That is kinda funny, however.
    edited February 2008
    TheCrimsonSaint;321155 said:
    You must have a learning disability because your have zero reading comprehension. So, let me make this clear to you.

I said you lost all credibility because you said Page was the singer, he is not. That is Robert Plant, and any moron who knows anything about anything would know that.
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited February 2008
    Pardon me for making a mistake then. I don't really follow Led Zeppelin that closely anyways. Excuse me, but allow me to change my opinion. Robert Plant couldn't sing for his life. There, problem solved. Excuse me for making a mistake, and I had meant no offense in my follow up post, though it appears that you took it offensively.
  • KeeblerKeebler Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Robert Plant can't sing well? That's a ridiculous accusation......
    edited February 2008
    Robert Plant is a prick but he has a good voice. And I am only offended by stupidity.
  • DustinRDustinR Unsigned
    edited February 2008
  • HojuHoju Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Unreal how people can say Plant is over-rated as a singer. If that's the case, what singer isn't? And for someone to say he couldn't sing for his life??? I'm guessing you haven't heard much Zeppelin - go listen to Disc 1 of Mothership (their latest greatest hits album released last year) and see if your opinion changes - I'm pretty sure it will.

I can understand if people don't like Zeppelin, but Plant is a really good singer.