This-Gen Grand Theft Auto

The_WurmThe_Wurm Road Warrior
edited February 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
I was just thinking about the last generation of videogame consoles and the GTA games that were made during it. The first game of that generation was GTAIII, a sequel to the last generation's(playstation) grand theft auto 2(GTA2 was also on the dreamcast, but it was just a port). After GTAIII came GTA Vice City, then GTA San Andreas. While these games came after GTAIII they weren't really sequels in the series, but just the same game with the same controls and engine with new settings, characters, and some added on stuff(motorcycles, ability to swim).

Now I was wondering, since GTAIV is coming out for this generation, which is the first GTA entry of the generation, and is an actual sequel(IV), do you think in a year or two do you think there will be another grand theft auto game using the same engine as the GTAIV but in a different setting like GTA:VC/GTA:SA?

Comments

• Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    yes, absolutely.

thats why the time between those gta games were pretty quick. they laid a great groundwork with gta3 that they could use later in VC and SA.

I expect the same with this iteration of the series, and honestly I don't mind. GTA IV is going to be such a revolutionary change, I mean they've put a ton of work into making something unique yet familiar to fans.

Honestly, where else can they go after GTAIV on the current gen consoles?
  • ZidaneZidane Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    I can see Rock Star pulling off other decades for the next batch of GTA games. But it's to note that Vice City and San Andreas were not spin-offs. They all hold some story from GTA III. Prequels, if you will. Even if they're not major ones, they tell some of the background story for GTA III.
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Zidane;311605 said:
    I can see Rock Star pulling off other decades for the next batch of GTA games. But it's to note that Vice City and San Andreas were not spin-offs. They all hold some story from GTA III. Prequels, if you will. Even if they're not major ones, they tell some of the background story for GTA III.
    true not spin offs but they used the same or roughly the same gaming engine. GTA4 looks to be a revolutionary change copared to GTAIII to GTA:VC
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Zidane;311605 said:
    They will keep making them as long as people keep buying them.
  • IhmhiIhmhi Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;311616 said:
    true not spin offs but they used the same or roughly the same gaming engine. GTA4 looks to be a revolutionary change copared to GTAIII to GTA:VC
    Play San Andreas, and then Play GTA3.

GTA3 and Vice City looked okay, but San Andreas had a lot of graphical improvements. It just looked... smoother overall.

I want to see what the cover system is like. That is what would make or break the game review-wise.

One thing I am really hoping for in GTA4 is vehicle transport. It sucked to have to drive cars I wanted all the way to a garage - I really wish I could have kept the Skycrane from that one mission in GTA:SA. Failing that, why can't the car carriers work? >:

I would like to see NoS on bikes.

How can they up the ante on this?

Take the Black or Mercenaries games (you can destroy pretty much everything). Now put that in a GTA game. Then we are talkin' here.

I want to see a chunk of a building fall off or a hole get blown in a building when I shoot a frickin' tank shell at it.
  • The_WurmThe_Wurm Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Ihmhi;311945 said:
    I want to see a chunk of a building fall off or a hole get blown in a building when I shoot a frickin' tank shell at it.
    Just wait till battlefield bad company, you wish will be granted.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited February 2008
    Absolutely. Rockstar said they only wanted to make three GTAs, NYC in modern times, Miami in the eighties, and California in the nineties.

But I wish GTA IV was in Hawaii, and the Big Island and two others were on the disc, and the rest of the islands to be released as DLC.
  • Highlandlassie1Highlandlassie1 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Does anyone know if GTA4 will have online mode?
    Wouldnt if be mayhem if everyone you encountered were a real person?
    Cooperative missions?
    Gangs of real friends?
    This is the future of the series, is the future here yet?
    edited February 2008
    Ihmhi;311945 said:
    Play San Andreas, and then Play GTA3.

GTA3 and Vice City looked okay, but San Andreas had a lot of graphical improvements. It just looked... smoother overall.
    yea the game wasent overhauled though. if you play both games you'll see that they share alot of the same visual Glitiches. Ie. the ground dissapearing, Blue hell, just the rain on the ground hasent changed much. But GTA4 is a total overhaul so we wont have those glitches

personaly i love the fact its in NYC because i live so close and have been their more times than i can remember i love to play in a place im familiar with. Although i would love to play in LV again i just love driving though the desert and in the new one they could make it so much more appealing.
  • castrocastro Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Eman311;311452 said:
    Honestly, where else can they go after GTAIV on the current gen consoles?
    I've been telling my friends for years that they need to make a MMO grand theft auto game. One of these days, I hope Rockstar will wake up and smell the coffee.

It's almost inevitable that online play would be added eventually, I just hope that they do it like other MMOs with thousands of people on a server, that would be so badass.

Just look at a game like FFXI, the one thing that game has to it's credit still is that it's a cross-platform MMO, with people playing on the xbox360, ps2, ps3, and pc all connecting on the same game server. It can be done, it just takes a kick ass networking team like they got at square-enix.
  • toefer2toefer2 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I agree that GTAIV will kind of be used as the engine to build a few spinoff titles with.

Aside from that, I don't really know how I feel about GTAIV. I don't know if it was the delay that did me in, or if I just feel tired of the concept in general.

I was a young little 13 year old when I randomly saw GTA 1 in a store, and decided to buy it, and I got hooked. The game looked like a piece of crap, but it was fun.

Now 11 years later, it just doesn't seem fun anymore. Playing San Andreas, at times, felt like a chore. I felt like I was only playing it just to try to beat it, not to actually have fun.

And now, I kind of feel like the series is taking itself too seriously, at least compared to its early days. "Let's make the game more real". Let's not. The ridiculous-ness of the early games is what made them fun. At least to me. But I guess its time for something new.

People joke that the Wii is a sort of novelty concept, but I feel like the GTA series is as well. You can only hijack cars and pickup hookers so many times, before it all seems rather old.
  • SadaiyappanSadaiyappan Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    I want to see a GTA4 engine based game of london in the 60's.. just like the original series was like that they had a london in the 60's game..
  • SadaiyappanSadaiyappan Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    The basic concept of GTA will never get old for me sort of how I will never get bored of gangster films. There will always be newer gangster films with newer stories but people always come back to watch them. They don't think, "Oh I have seen gangster film already I am bored with the genre." They come back to watch again anyways. I think GTA is like that. James Bond is like that too it has a cult following and there is always a new movie released for the new generation.
    edited February 2008
    At leat Rock star still has their same old sense of humor