When did you start?

lithiumkclithiumkc Rising Star
edited August 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
So looking back on it, I bought GH1 in about.. february of last year. It took a while to come out in Canada but I had been ultra excited for it as soon as I saw it. I showed it to everybody, and I don't remember that many people greeting it with excitement so much as 'Uhhhh... :confused:' looks. Yet in the end, most everybody loved it and got addicted.

So when did you guys get into GH? When it was still a 'cult hit', or when GH2 came out? Have you dealt with the funny looks and the predisposed 'disapproval' when showing it to friends, until they try it and love it?

And are you as excited, less excited, or more excited for rock band? Do you think it'll consume you as much as GH most likely consumed us all when we first got it? I know for sure GH1 took up more of my time than GH2.

Comments

• fragpiratefragpirate Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    i got the first guitar hero about a month after it came out.
  • JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    I was one of the people who wanted a copy of GH1, but couldn't find them anywhere. I eventually picked up a copy in May 06, right after school got out. I got expert level, and brought it back to my school with me. I honestly can't remember a time when GH1 or GH2 was not played by my group of friends, or when they were like "it's weird, I don't want to play it." Then again, we do live in the special interest "Music House."

-Jaime
  • battle_axe_of_doombattle_axe_of_doom Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    TheRocker;35293 said:
    Well i never heard of GH1 , first time i saw it was On MTV's Video Mods i was Like Is This a Game ? It Had The Sum 41 Song , Then Time Passed and one Day i Went To Best Buy and Saw The Gh1 Box , i Was Like What is This ? As Soon as i Saw The back of The box i was Hooked On It , Bought Took it Home and Thats where it Started , I Believe it was 06 Sometime in The Summer
    just wondering but did you get your s/n from a thin lizzy song or am i just over analyzing it :p
  • cmg4894cmg4894 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    I got GHI around January of '06. Every time I showed it to someone they laughed at me and called it a 'gimmick' game. Those same people can't stop playing GHII now.
  • TheRockerTheRocker Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    battle_axe_of_doom;35302 said:
    just wondering but did you get your s/n from a thin lizzy song or am i just over analyzing it :p
    No , i just thought , I like RockBand , am in the RockBand Forums so what should my Forums name be.. mmhmm I know TheRocker Haha
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    I played GH I in a bestbuy the first time I ever saw it, and I fell in love with it. I bought a PS2 and GH for my birthday the April after GH came out, so I guess that was April 06, so I've been playing guitar hero ever since.

I got GH II the day it came out, as well as 80s. I really love these rock rhythm games, and I plan on continuing this by getting Rock Band and GH III the day they come out, and I'll be buying a 360 soon just for them.
  • lithiumkclithiumkc Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    cmg4894;35304 said:
    I got GHI around January of '06. Every time I showed it to someone they laughed at me and called it a 'gimmick' game. Those same people can't stop playing GHII now.
    hahaha, exactly. That or 'DDR with hands'. And as soon as people try it they realize.. holy hell this is fun. There's just something about it, only a few games I can think of in history have this 'Holy crap this is fun' air about them. Super Smash Bros... Thats another example.
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    So last year I'm in Wal-mart and I see this Guitar Hero game on display. Now the thing is still a cult hit and I'm not a big music game guy but I try it and can't figure it out. Felt like an idiot because I play guitar. Soon I recognized the frets and guessed the strings and the building blocks fell in place. Ten minutes I'm jumping around to I Love Rock and Roll.

Nor did I know before long I'd be hooked on GHII (my personal fave). I dug it. My friends and I guessed who could get through careers first. And we all have our peference like I pwn GHI but suck at GHII but I play better on GHII because of the hammer-ons. My friend sucks at GHI but plays better than on GHII for some reason. Weird.

So it'll be a year next month. I always enjoyed Harmonix games but didn't even know they made GH. Frequency and Amplitude were the only music games I owned before that.

After GHI and II I began digging around and getting my hands on every music game I can find (Boom Boom Rocket with Guitar Hero X-Plorer FTW!)
  • battle_axe_of_doombattle_axe_of_doom Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    lmao i made an ass out of myself when i failed john the fisherman in gamecrazy and failed horribly on easy :\
  • CrazyIvanCrazyIvan Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    I grabbed GH1 for my brother-in-law for Christmas in 2005. I had heard from a few friends that the game was frickin' awesome, so I figured my bro would get a kick out of it. Turns out, we couldn't stop playing the dang thing! Once my wife and I got home from the Christmas visit, we went out and bought our own copy and an extra guitar.

Been jammin' ever since.

I'm still not that great at it. I play it entirely for fun, so I've never really bothered with the "challenge" aspect of it. I would prefer to play on Hard and jump around like a fool than on Expert where I have to concentrate. It's probably why my wife beats me to a pulp every time we play.

GH2 rocked my socks off.

GH80's was a bit of a letdown for me. Can't really put a finger on why... just did.

GH3 looks pretty good, and I'm sure I'll pick up the PS2 version.

But Rock Band? Man... this game looks AMAZING. I'm actually going to buy a 360 just to play it. I am addicted to these forums like nobody's bidness, refreshing every few minutes in hopes that something new has popped up. I haven't been this excited for a game since Super Mario Bros. 2 came out for the NES.
    edited August 2007
    Rock Band is probably the most excited I've ever been for a game. I love music. It's one of the only truly good things I can see in the world. It's an escape, and the best way for a human being to express emotion in my opinion. I know how much fun GH2 was to play co-op with friends, and I can imagine that this will be multiple times more amazing. With the song list already announced, the DLC... Nevermind, hopefully.. I can't get off this website, and it's making the days til release seem FOREVER.

Oh, and I got my ass kicked by psychobilly freakout last year in GH2 demo. Goddamn GH1 was simple compared to the sequel.
  • Kang_ZirconKang_Zircon Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    I got hooked even before GH came out with the arcade game Guitar Freaks. When my friends and I heard that a console guitar game was coming out for PS2 we were really excited about it. I got the game as soon as I had the money for it.

I'm really excited about RB too. The arcade had a drums game too, and I've been wondering since GH1 when the heck Harmonix was gonna put out a drumming game. My friends and I have been talking about how cool it would be to play as a whole band since GH2...
  • stinkdog2007stinkdog2007 Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    I have a 360 and I got Guitar Hero 2 a month after release.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    I played Guitar Hero 1 at the annual GameStop manager's conference in Dallas in August of 2005. It was clearly obvious to me at that time that GH was going to revolutionize Rhythm Gaming (and to an extent, gaming in general) it was simply awesome.

I couldn't really believe my eyes... Tucked away in the farthest corner in the convention center was this tiny Red Octane booth with little ole 27' TV's with a pre-release version of a game that I half-laughed at when I read the title. "Guitar Hero".... I figured this oughta be a good time, I play guitar so I'll give it a thorough play through. I rocked out to Judas Priest with a plastic guitar and had a blast doing it. The guy at the booth was like "Damn, you're pretty good... you play this before?" And I said "No, that's what's crazy.. I just play guitar, and you guys have realistically re-created that experience in a video game!"

The game released later that year to lukewarm initial reception, but as people played demos that were set up around the retail world, demand started to go through the roof! Of course personally I had already pre-ordered and purchased mine, but it was nearly impossible to keep in stock for the holidays.

The next year's conference GH2 was a totally different beast. Activision put huge money into GH2 and it was the showcase title for their booth. Full simulated stage to play on... Massive Amp-Like speakers.... Huge Plasma TV's...

So thats the journey Guitar Hero has made from my first hand experience. Small little laughed at "gimmick" game to what it is today. The forefront of innovation in the gaming industry.
  • KEFIOXKEFIOX Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    I actually started playing Gutiar Hero II first, I was actually never really into the idea of a Guitar game until my brother just went and bought it one day, and I have been hooked ever since. When I heard Rock Band was coming out I almost wet myself because I get to play the drums now, not just guitar.
  • AkaymayAkaymay Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    You'd never believe me, my mom made me play it. Since I played real guitar, I thought it was a terrible kiddy toy. But she kept bugging me about how her co-workers all play it. So I gave it a shot, and got completely addicted.
  • edited August 2007
    I got GH1 in summer of last year. I got GH2 in winter 06 and I got it for the 360 this summer.
  • Nitz13Nitz13 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    For me I got it The Day it Came out for the 360, Been playing ever since
    although all of you who have introduced it to your friends and they've become hooked, well... that isn't the case for me most of my friends don't enjoy it at all and I have no Idea why. Probably cause they don't listen to rock :confused:
  • cmg4894cmg4894 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    lithiumkc;35335 said:
    Rock Band is probably the most excited I've ever been for a game. I love music. It's one of the only truly good things I can see in the world. It's an escape, and the best way for a human being to express emotion in my opinion. I know how much fun GH2 was to play co-op with friends, and I can imagine that this will be multiple times more amazing. With the song list already announced, the DLC... Nevermind, hopefully.. I can't get off this website, and it's making the days til release seem FOREVER.

Oh, and I got my ass kicked by psychobilly freakout last year in GH2 demo. Goddamn GH1 was simple compared to the sequel.
    This is me too. I think we both need a life.
  • DIEGOROBOT26DIEGOROBOT26 Banned
    edited August 2007
    I got GH1 a bit after it came out and was hooked. Showed my friends, they loved it. Got good, won tournaments. GH2 came out, got better, won more tournaments. It's been awesome times with GH and Rock Band is not looking like it will dissapoint.
  • draguladragula Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    I got mine the day GH1 came out, had to drive an hour to another bestbuy to get it, but they had like 3 left over at that location. So I was jammin' to Joan Jett on easy that day!
  • SaltinesSaltines Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    I started playing in September of 06'.

Got it for my birthday and, I loved it. Then i grabbed GHII the day it came out.

So, I've been playing for about a month shy of a year.
  • _Five__Five_ Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    Last year in May, not long after GH1 was released in Europe, I saw a good friend of mine play that Megadeth song over and over again at a friend's place. Back then I wasn't very interested in the game, I didn't find it visually appealing, and I always thought of myself as absolutely musically untalented. And as a rhythm game it reminded me too much of Samba de Amigo, which is buttugly.

Fast forward to 2 months ago: I visited two buddies who are both passionate gamers. They were just playing that new game one of them got (GH1) and asked me if I'd like to try it. I hesitated but then gave it a try. It was a bit confusing at first, but after two or three songs I got into it.
    The next day I realized that I really wanted to play that game again. I was hooked. :-)
    I only get to play when we all get together to play, but I've made my way up to hard level and I can beat the game owner in most songs now. :D

My friend and I were also speculating about how great it would be to have a full band playing the game instead of just guitar. We had no idea this was already in the making! Now we are all very excited about RB.
    edited August 2007
    To pose a question to sean or any of the other devs:

Was your decision to make Rock Band now (or at all) based mostly on our feedback about the game, and the constant asking for a band type game? Would you have held back and waited or just continued with GH games if there wasn't such a demand? Basically, what made you start on RB now instead of later (or not at all)?
  • SmidgetSmidget Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    I first played GH1 at the 05 EBGames convention. Loved it immediately. I took an extended break to play more and talk to the RedOctane guys about it; I was so stoked to see a guitar game made for the western market that was this good. As soon as it came out, I bought it. It was kinda funny to watch it gain popularity over the next few months after release. Non-gamer friends would bring it up in conversation months later but at the time of release they wouldn't have cared diddly squat about it, haha.
  • hmxgrichhmxgrich Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    I never actually knew about Guitar Hero 1. I remember glancing over and seeing it at GameStop on the shelf, but didn't think anything of it. I figured it was probably a guitar game, but with unknown music or something.

It wasn't until I saw the commercial for GHII that advertised with Van Halen, then I got it for Xmas Dec. '06. Then I bought a 360 in April, and of course had to get GHII for that as well in light of additional songs and achievements!
  • PurpleHazePurpleHaze Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    For me it was a war of attrition. First GH1 was released, and I read a number of glowing reviews, but the idea just sounded kind of childish, playing a little plastic toy guitar?! Then Penny Arcade kept going on about how wonderful it was. Then GH2 was released, and got even better reviews. So I finally thought, what the hell, I've got to check out what all this fuss is about. So, I bought GH2, and just a week later I also bought GH1, because I was already addicted.
  • IbanezBassist_v2IbanezBassist_v2 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, this is funny. I picked up GH when it first came out. Everyone had a hard time accepting that I was playing a game with a plastic guitar. Yet Almost three yeas later, they are as addicted almost as bad as I.
  • hardterhardter Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    first time i saw it was in november 2006 in a review on gamespot for guitar hero 2. never heard of it before but since i played guitar i looked it up on youtube and then me and my bro got both for christmas with two guitars. sure my friends laughed.....until they played it and some went wow and wanted to play it everytime they came over........but some are still laughing
  • howsh_howsh_ Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    i started playing at the beginning of last summer. i had been out of town so some friends were throwing a party for me and one of them had GH1. Nobody played it at first but later (once everyone was...let's say more relaxed) someone turned it on to see what it was and he started dancing around and acting crazy. So after watching the show he put on, everyone tried to out perform the others. after that night i had to have it.

When GH2 came out i skipped school to go buy it and skipped a few days after to beat it.

Guitar Hero (and my discovery of The Fall of Troy) actually led me into playin real guitar.

i'm really excited for both GH3 and Rock Band and i'm anxious to play the drums. maybe if i get good enough at the drums in RB then i'll try to pick that up in real life too.