OXM Exclusive Disc content to be DLC soon?

Chris_GonzalezChris_Gonzalez Rising Star
edited February 2008 in Rock Band
At the Bang Camaro concert I went to last night (which rocked like no other) in Atlanta, my friends and I asked one of the band members before the show if the PS3 would ever see the 3 songs that were in OXM. Instead of the "No" or "Eventually" my friends and I expected, we got a "Soon."

If this is true (I expected it; figured it was a timed exclusive), I can't wait for it. Well, Rock Rebellion at least. The other two not as much.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

  • AdamBomb629AdamBomb629 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    I would imagine they would be 99 cent songs.
  • FiveSecondFuseFiveSecondFuse Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    God, I can only hope...
    Throw your undies on the stage...:)
  • XanthousXanthous Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    That's really good to hear. I'd pick em all up for $0.99 a pop.

    Exclusive songs are just not cool. I'd be singing the same tune in those three tracks were exclusive to the PS3.
  • zuluthronezuluthrone Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    god dammit, i had planned for months to see that show, and AI homework's kept me shut in for the past 3 days.
  • TheTFactaTheTFacta Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I'd be singing the same tune in those three tracks were exclusive to the PS3.
    No you wouldn't.

    You'd say "At least we get a break over the 360, about time!" or "Haha, we have (insert useless song here) and you don't!"

    Of course, I would bitch at HMX too if we didn't get the exclusive tracks. Mostly its just a "sucks to be you" thought in my mind.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited February 2008
    Chris_Gonzalez;319383 said:
    At the Bang Camaro concert I went to last night (which rocked like no other) in Atlanta, my friends and I asked one of the band members before the show if the PS3 would ever see the 3 songs that were in OXM. Instead of the "No" or "Eventually" my friends and I expected, we got a "Soon."

    If this is true (I expected it; figured it was a timed exclusive), I can't wait for it. Well, Rock Rebellion at least. The other two not as much.

    Anyone else in the same boat?
    I'm a PS3 owner, and when the OXM exclusive songs were announced, I got caught up in the moment and created a topic discussing console-specific songs. I really wanted one of the songs in that pack, and it was very frustrating to not even have the option of buying a magazine to get the songs in the PS3 version. I noted that if it was a timed-exclusive, I'd be okay with that.

    Well, the topic was locked not too long after it was created. This was a little strange since it never got out of hand, and I never felt like there was a legitimate reason for it to be locked. But looking back on it, I imagine that locking may have been a subtle way of saying that waiting a month or so after the magazine's street date might prove worthwhile for PS3 owners (and 360 owners who didn't get the magazine). The OXM's street date was 1/15 for that issue, so the earliest we'd likely be able to see the Harmonix pack on the Marketplace or Playstation Store is probably after 2/15 (when the new issue hits stores, effectively making future sales of the 1/15 issue a non-issue, pun not intended).

    There was probably an agreement between OXM and HMX for that exclusivity which, of course, prevented Harmonix from saying anything about the songs being available for download until a certain date. Otherwise people would probably just wait it out and forget wasting money on the magazine if they knew the songs were coming for download later on. So I can forgive Harmonix for staying silent on the issue knowing that speaking up would probably violate an agreement.

    I hope to see the Harmonix pack possibly as soon as next week on both the Playstation Store and Marketplace (since the DLC week of 2/20 is the first one following the new OXM issue's street date). But for whatever week it does eventually get released down the line (provided the Bang Camaro member knew what he was talking about - I'll give him credit), who knows if it'll be all the content for the week or if we'll get six songs for that week.

    In any case, thanks for the heads-up, Chris! I need to see Bang Camaro live one day.
  • CowSharkCowShark Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    TheTFacta;319485 said:
    No you wouldn't.

    You'd say "At least we get a break over the 360, about time!" or "Haha, we have (insert useless song here) and you don't!"

    Of course, I would bitch at HMX too if we didn't get the exclusive tracks. Mostly its just a "sucks to be you" thought in my mind.
    He said he would, and you're gonna have to take his word for it. I understand where he's comin' from (as a 360 owner, no less), and am all for a complete lack of exclusivity in Rock Band tracks. I mean, if some PS-centric magazine had a demo disc with another Freezepop song on it, I'd be livid. I don't want to be denied tracks that hmx has already prepped to go into Rock Band. And why would they do that? It'd only be stopping themselves from picking up more money from their fans.

    If the PS3 had exclusive content and the 360 didn't, or each console had its own exclusive content, I'd be pissed. Imagine if they put out an Aerosmith pack exclusive to the PS, and a The Who pack for the Xbox; everyone would be ****ing a brick.

    Having a 360, I have the option of not really needing to care that they've done something divisive like letting us have exclusive (for now) content; but I can say that I don't think it'd be cool for it to be really long term or permanent.
  • Chris_GonzalezChris_Gonzalez Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    zuluthrone;319441 said:
    god dammit, i had planned for months to see that show, and AI homework's kept me shut in for the past 3 days.
    It was an amazing show. My best friend couldn't go because his mom said "Not on a school night." He's still pissed about it.

    And Magnet, yes, you do need to see them live. But just beware that if you stand in the front row, you'll need to both know every word to the songs and wear a rain poncho of some sort. Nick, one of the vocalists, would pour about half a beer into his mouth at a time and just spray it up in the air above him or towards the crowd.

    Needless to say it was awesome, but a little gross to everyone who wasn't there.

    And I would love for them to be out next week, just coming to us in general. I too dislike console exclusivity, but it's one of those things you really can't live without. If the 360 had every game the PS3 had, and vise versa, everyone would go for the 360 simply because it's cheaper. But oh well.

    Here's to hoping, right?
  • MarkHawkMarkHawk Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    zuluthrone;319441 said:
    god dammit, i had planned for months to see that show, and AI homework's kept me shut in for the past 3 days.
    Do you mean Art Institute homework?
  • MarkHawkMarkHawk Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    Magnet;319554 said:
    I'm a PS3 owner, and when the OXM exclusive songs were announced, I got caught up in the moment and created a topic discussing console-specific songs. I really wanted one of the songs in that pack, and it was very frustrating to not even have the option of buying a magazine to get the songs in the PS3 version. I noted that if it was a timed-exclusive, I'd be okay with that.

    Well, the topic was locked not too long after it was created. This was a little strange since it never got out of hand, and I never felt like there was a legitimate reason for it to be locked. But looking back on it, I imagine that locking may have been a subtle way of saying that waiting a month or so after the magazine's street date might prove worthwhile for PS3 owners (and 360 owners who didn't get the magazine). The OXM's street date was 1/15 for that issue, so the earliest we'd likely be able to see the Harmonix pack on the Marketplace or Playstation Store is probably after 2/15 (when the new issue hits stores, effectively making future sales of the 1/15 issue a non-issue, pun not intended).

    There was probably an agreement between OXM and HMX for that exclusivity which, of course, prevented Harmonix from saying anything about the songs being available for download until a certain date. Otherwise people would probably just wait it out and forget wasting money on the magazine if they knew the songs were coming for download later on. So I can forgive Harmonix for staying silent on the issue knowing that speaking up would probably violate an agreement.

    I hope to see the Harmonix pack possibly as soon as next week on both the Playstation Store and Marketplace (since the DLC week of 2/20 is the first one following the new OXM issue's street date). But for whatever week it does eventually get released down the line (provided the Bang Camaro member knew what he was talking about - I'll give him credit), who knows if it'll be all the content for the week or if we'll get six songs for that week.

    In any case, thanks for the heads-up, Chris! I need to see Bang Camaro live one day.
    Agreed. As a 360 rocker, I wouldn't want to see exclusive PS3 songs.
  • hodayathinkhodayathink Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    MarkHawk;319600 said:
    Do you mean Art Institute homework?
    Not funny. But nice try.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    As an XBox 360 owner who hasn't been able to get his hands on the songs, I still hope they don't make these tracks available as downloads. They were marketed as exclusive, only available in the OXM. Making them available at this point pretty much sends the message that any exclusivity Harmonix strikes up with any given source is not exclusive at all and you shouldn't bother buying the magazine/whatever item because they'll just become available if you wait it out.

    This viewpoint isn't about PS3 vs. 360; it's about being able to market something as actually exclusive and make it stick.
  • Xerosnake90Xerosnake90 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    The guy probably had no damn idea what you were talking about XD I wouldn't rely on it too much.
  • SenRaqSenRaq Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    .99 cents a song?? I would only want these DLC for free............ or they can ship a little disc in my official Playstation Magazine. Either way, my out of pocket cost would be zip, zilch, nada.

    On another note: I have a feeling the exclusiveness of these songs is more like 3-6 months vs the one month that someone stated earlier. A one month exclusive is hardly worth all that fuss.
  • Sarge51Sarge51 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Rock Rebellion and Sprode are great songs. But that other song pretty much sucks. Rock Rebellion is AWESOME! and I normally don't like Bang Camaro.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited February 2008
    Ultrace;319700 said:
    They were marketed as exclusive, only available in the OXM. Making them available at this point pretty much sends the message that any exclusivity Harmonix strikes up with any given source is not exclusive at all and you shouldn't bother buying the magazine/whatever item because they'll just become available if you wait it out.

    This viewpoint isn't about PS3 vs. 360; it's about being able to market something as actually exclusive and make it stick.
    We don't know what deal HMX and OXM struck up. Whether it's exclusive to the magazine for one month, six months, or forever, only time will tell. Even if it's exclusive to OXM for only one month, OXM can still market it as being completely exclusive (since that exclusivity will be relevant for the life cycle of that one issue from retail street date to next issue's retail street date). HMX can't really control how OXM markets whatever deal they have.

    I'm not sure how you can say it sends any message about HMX's business dealings. It's not like anything HMX does now wasn't part of the initial agreement. If anything, be upset with how OXM marketed it if it ends up being a timed-exclusive. (Although they stand to sell many more magazines by leaving the word "timed" out of the promotion of the content.)

    There's actually been a long standing pattern of timed-exclusive demos on OXM discs that later go up for download. It actually makes more sense than not for exclusive content for a magazine to be timed. Issues are marketed and then sold with an expected one-month relevancy. It would be a huge waste of time for developers like Harmonix to author three Rock Band songs that less than 1% of Rock Band owners are ever going to see. But releasing them for download later on makes it a win-win situation. OXM sells more issues from what is marketed as completely exclusive content for the life cycle of the issue. Harmonix's work of authoring three songs can still make a profit for them after the magazine issue is no longer in circulation. OXM isn't losing money on the month-old issue when HMX makes the content available for download since that issue is no longer in circulation anyway by that time. You could make the argument that people won't buy OXM in the future for the exclusives if they're all timed, but even if they're timed, they are still exclusive for a while, so many people who want the content a month or two earlier will still get the magazine for them.

    I understand what you're saying about how when things are exclusive, they should be exclusive forever. But when you're dealing with a medium like magazines - with issues that become essentially worthless on a monthly basis and are no longer even printed or sold by the publication after their relevance period expires, terms like "exclusive" can be very relative.
  • TB666TB666 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Speaking as a european Xbox360 Rock band importer, I hope to see these songs up for download.
    Rock Rebellion is a awesome song.
    As an XBox 360 owner who hasn't been able to get his hands on the songs, I still hope they don't make these tracks available as downloads. They were marketed as exclusive, only available in the OXM. Making them available at this point pretty much sends the message that any exclusivity Harmonix strikes up with any given source is not exclusive at all and you shouldn't bother buying the magazine/whatever item because they'll just become available if you wait it out.
    Magazine exclusives only last until the next issue.
    OXM got what they wanted which was more people buying the magazine because of the songs.
    When the new issue comes up, these songs will be lost in time.
    Just like exclusive demos, when the next issue comes out, the demo is released to the public. Exclusive generally means the chance to play it before anyone else.
    Can't imagine that Harmonix would wanna lose out on more profit after the work they put into the charts.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited February 2008
    CowShark;319566 said:
    He said he would, and you're gonna have to take his word for it. I understand where he's comin' from (as a 360 owner, no less), and am all for a complete lack of exclusivity in Rock Band tracks. I mean, if some PS-centric magazine had a demo disc with another Freezepop song on it, I'd be livid. I don't want to be denied tracks that hmx has already prepped to go into Rock Band. And why would they do that? It'd only be stopping themselves from picking up more money from their fans.
    Hey, I own a 360 and so was able to pick up the disc, but I really did NOT like doing it. I would've rather paid for the same songs over DLC. As a long time gamer, I personally think OXM is a mediocre magazine. The demo discs are nice, but the magazine itself just isn't worth it.

    I wish they'd just release all songs via DLC. That way we don't need to buy magazines that are only on stands for a limited time and all PS3 and 360 owners would have access to it.
  • MarkHawkMarkHawk Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    hodayathink;319612 said:
    Not funny. But nice try.
    No Joke, I'm an Art Institute student and was wondering which you were attending. Thought since you used AI and home in the same line there was a chance we'd know one another.
  • Grayshadow-PSNGrayshadow-PSN Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Exclusivity to a single medium is also not fair to the artists involved. So, unless Bang Camaro, etc., was paid for the exclusivity, they're losing out on the money from purchases made by the PS3 community and the rest of the 360 users that didn't use the OXM disc - not to mention the additional fans they might gain through a larger offering scope. I'm sure the artists (or their management) are well aware of what is planned for the songs.
  • FrederfFrederf Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    I have to LOL about asking the recording artist a DLC question.
Sign In or Register to comment.