Question about XBOX Live

_GABO__GABO_ Opening Act
edited August 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
Is the Wireless Networking Adapter needed to access XBOX Live?

My set up is in my basement on the farthest western wall and my modem is on the main floor, eastern side of my house, over 100ft, if I were to run a cable, and that runs through a few rooms and a staircase.

If not, that's $100 that I don't have to spend.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    use an ethernet cable into the back of the system..
  • cmg4894cmg4894 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Not needed. But do you want to run 100 feet of any cable. I didn't I got it the day I got my 360. Much easier than running cable.
  • MaherjMaherj Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    My XBOX is about 10 feet from where my router sits. I still use the wireless adaptor. I have enough cables running already
  • hmxgrichhmxgrich Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    Does anyone experience lag, or interference with the wireless?

I've been using an ethernet cord since I've had my xbox.
  • MaherjMaherj Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    No difference for me whatsoever, but I'm not big on multiplayer FPS games. Hard to say what happens in a Halo multiplayer game.

I've done lots of racing on PGR and have never had a problem with lag.

Interference can be avoided by using Wireless A instead of G.
  • karlkazakarlkaza Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    sumtimes theres lag, but not most of the time
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    If you have a laptop, or a pc much closer to you, you can set up a connection from that to your 360 and essentially use that as your wireless adapter. Saves you 100 bucks
    edited August 2007
    Eman311;37666 said:
    If you have a laptop, or a pc much closer to you, you can set up a connection from that to your 360 and essentially use that as your wireless adapter. Saves you 100 bucks
    I also use ethernet for my PC. So you're saying if I went Wi-fi on my PC, my xbox will pickup that wireless connection?
  • FallenAceFallenAce Eater of Fine Cheeses
    edited August 2007
    He means you should set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). If your laptop is wireless and has an open ethernet port (RJ-45 cable), you can enable ICS and run that cable to your Xbox. Of course, ICS is set to work in the 192.168.0.x range, so if your router is set up to be 192.168.0.1 you're going to need to change your router config first.

I've not tested this on the 360, but I believe it did not work on PS2/Xbox. If anyone's set it up they'd know better.

In any event, go look up ICS on the Microsoft website.
    edited August 2007
    I never said I had wireless, or a laptop for that matter :)

I have a basic router with an ethernet cord plugged into my PC, and an ethernet cord plugged into my Xbox 360.

I was just asking what Eman meant, because it sounds like he was saying if I had wireless internet on my PC, it could allow my 360 to pick up on that signal to connect online.
  • FallenAceFallenAce Eater of Fine Cheeses
    edited August 2007
    I'm just trying to help explain what Eman311 meant.

Your 360 won't "pick up" anything wireless if you don't have a wireless adapter. It's both the receiver and transmitter so without it, it can't see anything. He assumed you had a router capable of wireless signals, since you were asking about a wireless adapter.

If you want to use a wireless adapter, something has to be sending a wireless signal out, which would typically be your router acting as a WAP (Wireless Access Point). Your wireless adapter on your 360 would pick up that signal in place of a network cable.

If you had a wireless router and a laptop or desktop that had a wireless card in it, you could set up ICS on that computer and run a cable out from your computer to your 360, which would give you some lattitude in the department of running a cable across your abode, since the wireless would occur between your router and that computer.

Since what it sounds like is that you have a router that supports wired-only, you're going to have to either replace your router and get a wireless card for your 360, or run a cable all the way. I suggest the latter, but I'd say to just drill a hole through the drywall and drop it straight through the ceiling or wall in the basement (if that's where your going to have your equipment).

If you live with your parents, you might want to get permission first.

Also, please understand, this post is just meant to help you. If I've insulted your intelligence at all, I humbly apologize; I just don't know your level of technical skill.

Good luck!
    edited August 2007
    Very much appreciated FallenAce, my response wasn't meant to be sarcastic in a rude way, I just didn't think you understand what I had :)

The reason I was inquiring about it all is because I'm moving this weekend, and was wondering if I should keep running the cord through the wall, or go with wireless.

But yes, indeed my router is somewhat old, therefore probably only supports wired. So for me to go wireless, I'd have to get a new router, and a wireless network card for my PC, and then the wireless adapter for my Xbox.

Eek, that might cost me, I have all the cables I need to keep what I'm doing. It's not a hassle running the cable, so I probably won't worry too much about it.

Thanks for all the info!
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Yea i meant sharing the connection, which would be as easy as running a wire from your pc to your 360 and changing a few option on your pc. I'd just keep it wired for now