What pure Metal sub-genre pack would you want?

Comments

• Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited February 2008
    I voted for all because I love most all metal, would kill for some prog or power though.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited February 2008
    Please replace Dragonforce with actual Power Metal, I can't stand cheesey rip-offs of an otherwise spectacular sub-genre.
  • DM725DM725 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I feel like Shadows Fall isn't really Metalcore, especially not anymore. The first 2 Trivium albums, All Shall Perish and Unearth are more Metalcore.

Had I known you could vote for more than one I would have also voted for the Progressive choice bc I love Tool and Opeth, and Metalcore.

I voted Melodic.
    edited February 2008
    Ultimatum;330906 said:
    Please replace Dragonforce with actual Power Metal, I can't stand cheesey rip-offs of an otherwise spectacular sub-genre.
    Hey I can remember when Power Metalheads celebrated Valley of the Damned and Sonic Firestorm as some fresh new Power Metal. Of course, a lot of people turned their heads when they signed to Roadrunner but they put out that great music video for TTFatF. Of course GH3 has spawned a lot of raving idiocy that pisses off a lot people (including myself) but in all fairness Dragonforce is power metal and the only power metal a lot of radio listerners/mainstream people know about. I listed them there for those who would be curious to play more songs by bands searching for an epic sound, metal shredding guitar solos, and clean vocals.

I digress though, I do agree with you to a degree but I thought it would be identifiable to list them.
  • ZidaneZidane Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    The more Maiden, the better.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Black Metal pack? You put Dimmu?! Immortal, Mayhem, and Dissection(THEY'RE NOT DEATH METAL!!!) would rule.
    edited February 2008
    Shredder87;331083 said:
    Black Metal pack? You put Dimmu?! Immortal, Mayhem, and Dissection(THEY'RE NOT DEATH METAL!!!) would rule.
    Oh my bad, I just listed some examples. Dimmu is the highest selling "black metal" style band ever (which arguably doesnt make them very black metal.) I meant simply as a genre pack.
    edited February 2008
    Are they? I thought Cradle took that honor. Well after Stormblast they started to tread a less black metal trail, along with Cradle's first album.
    edited February 2008
    Shredder87;331110 said:
    Are they? I thought Cradle took that honor. Well after Stormblast they started to tread a less black metal trail, along with Cradle's first album.
    You may be right but Dimmu Borgir is a bit closer to true black metal than Cradle is. I do know that Dimmu's latest hit #47 in the US billboards and #1 in Finland.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited February 2008
    A little of it all... the more variety, the better.

And about dragonforce... yeah, I think through the fire and flames is a bit more popular then it needs to be. What pisses me off is that, when I was looking for cds the other day, I saw Inhuman Rampage, and it has a freaking sticker that say's, "featuring through the fire and flames from guitar hero 3!".... I mean, cmon. But I like dragonforce a lot, despite their criticism. Maybe once in a lifetime?
    edited February 2008
    instantdeath999;331137 said:
    A little of it all... the more variety, the better.

And about dragonforce... yeah, I think through the fire and flames is a bit more popular then it needs to be. What pisses me off is that, when I was looking for cds the other day, I saw Inhuman Rampage, and it has a freaking sticker that say's, "featuring through the fire and flames from guitar hero 3!".... I mean, cmon. But I like dragonforce a lot, despite their criticism. Maybe once in a lifetime?
    That's Roadrunner Records for ya. I was mad with the music video they made to Opeth's Grand Conjuration. Great song. Terrible video.
    edited February 2008
    Onslaught_fei;331054 said:
    Hey I can remember when Power Metalheads celebrated Valley of the Damned and Sonic Firestorm as some fresh new Power Metal. Of course, a lot of people turned their heads when they signed to Roadrunner but they put out that great music video for TTFatF. Of course GH3 has spawned a lot of raving idiocy that pisses off a lot people (including myself) but in all fairness Dragonforce is power metal and the only power metal a lot of radio listerners/mainstream people know about. I listed them there for those who would be curious to play more songs by bands searching for an epic sound, metal shredding guitar solos, and clean vocals.

I digress though, I do agree with you to a degree but I thought it would be identifiable to list them.
    The lyrics have incredible amounts of cheese, and the guitars reek of ProTools. This is why I have affectionately dubbed them Studioforce.
    edited February 2008
    Ultimatum;332693 said:
    The lyrics have incredible amounts of cheese, and the guitars reek of ProTools. This is why I have affectionately dubbed them Studioforce.
    Definately, though, most power metal does have a lot of cheese. Dragonforce does produce their own albums in a studio that they built, which is far more than any pop rock group can say. I do agree that Studioforce is an appropriate name with their 2006 tour performances.
  • DM725DM725 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Yea I saw them open for Killswitch Engage in NYC and I was impressed at how fast their wrists were moving but not at how it sounded. They definately can't duplicate their albums which means Studioforce is definately an appropriate name.
    edited February 2008
    DM725;332963 said:
    Yea I saw them open for Killswitch Engage in NYC and I was impressed at how fast their wrists were moving but not at how it sounded. They definately can't duplicate their albums which means Studioforce is definately an appropriate name.
    Apparently they are notorious for being drunk.
  • HarryYambagHarryYambag Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I voted metalcore but I'm down for anything "metal"!
  • nik15nik15 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    I'm surprised there wasn't a category for Viking/Folk metal.
    edited February 2008
    nik15;336421 said:
    I'm surprised there wasn't a category for Viking/Folk metal.
    Most Folk Metal is in Finnish, Norweigen, or Swedish. My favorites are Agalloch, Ensiferum, and arguably Wintersun. Problem is only big metalheads in the states get into Folk Metal, although it is popular in Europe.

Viking Metal is often a part of a melodic death metal, power metal, or black metal band. I didnt include it for this reason as its not really a sub genre but a lyrical theme applied to an instrumental style.

Id play either one ;p
  • JiggMasterJiggMaster Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    No Funk Metal? You silly silly guy. Buckethead, primus. COME ON DUDE!
    edited February 2008
    Onslaught_fei;338068 said:
    Most Folk Metal is in Finnish, Norweigen, or Swedish. My favorites are Agalloch, Ensiferum, and arguably Wintersun. Problem is only big metalheads in the states get into Folk Metal, although it is popular in Europe.

Viking Metal is often a part of a melodic death metal, power metal, or black metal band. I didnt include it for this reason as its not really a sub genre but a lyrical theme applied to an instrumental style.

Id play either one ;p
    Hell Yeah!!! Wooden Pints by Korpiklaani!!!!!
    edited February 2008
    JiggMaster;338313 said:
    No Funk Metal? You silly silly guy. Buckethead, primus. COME ON DUDE!
    It's called Groove Metal.

And Primus sucks :p
  • MrBobaFettMrBobaFett Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    and what about Gothic Metal???
  • drizzt9922drizzt9922 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
  • an1m051tyan1m051ty Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    Wow at first I expected myself to click only one or two but after you listed examples of the bands for each I ended up clicking every one but Death Metal.

Nice choices for ideas btw.
    edited February 2008
    Ultimatum;339299 said:
    It's called Groove Metal.

And Primus sucks :p
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groove_metal
    edited February 2008
    Onslaught_fei;342328 said:
    I wouldn't consider Primus Metal anyways.
  • MrZeebubMrZeebub Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Honestly, I would buy everything on that list.
    edited February 2008
    MrBobaFett;339369 said:
    and what about Gothic Metal???
    Unfortunately the poll can only have 10 options. I picked what I believe are the 9 most popular and then left 1 for other. Gothic, Sludge, Doom Metal and others do not have as many bands to draw from. ;[
  • Sneaky123Sneaky123 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    all of it is fine by me.... though i'd honestly love a Dream Theater, Opeth or Pantera above all of them... but none the less all of those choices are great
  • Plutonic LovePlutonic Love Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

In particular: Blitzkrieg, Angel Witch, Diamond Head, Judas Priest.

Top that, suckers.