Metallica Sues Red Octane/Activision & Harmonix for Copyright Infringement

Syko360Syko360 Unsigned
edited August 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
Attorneys for the Grammy award winning heavy metal band Metallica filed a lawsuit yesterday against Harmonix and Activision (who recently acquired Red Octane) for copyright infringement. The suit accuses the three gaming companies of illegally distributing copies of Metallica songs in the upcoming and highly anticipated games Guitar Hero III and Rock Band, both due out in late 2007.

The suit alleges that both companies planned to package and distribute Metallica music through their video games in what lawyers characterized as a "licensed music to player" system, or LM2P network. Metallica is fearful that album sales could decline if their fans were able to simply walk into any Gamestop or Best Buy and purchase an $80 video game that contained one of their songs.

"The band learned its lesson the hard way with file sharing in the late 90s," counsel for Metallica told reporters in a statement released soon after the filing. "This time they want to do a pre-emptive strike before the music gets out there."

Source: http://www.dailygaming.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=230

Comments

• MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Oh God No Harmonix Is Ruined!
  • BobLoblawBobLoblaw Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    I agree with Magnet. They're gonna sue Harmonix for everything they've got and Rock Band probably won't be released. :(
  • SchultzySchultzy Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    :confused:
    Nevermind. I don't care.
  • masterx1918masterx1918 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    haha. I doubt Metallica will be able to suit them in a court of law unless the jury/the judge is big time Metallica fans

That article is F-ing hilarious though. I guess it was written by a Harmonix fan
  • AVC808AVC808 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
  • FreQstarFreQstar Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    ZOMGWTFLOLLERSK8TESFTWROFLCOPTERHOTBBQONESANDEXLAMATIONPOINTS

oh and...
    ...counsel for Activision/Red Octane told reporters. "We don't understand why Metallica would turn around and sue us, unless they've gone from insane completely bat**** insane since 2001...
    ...is the funniest thing I've read all day (not counting the MCR DLC in GH2)
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    are they really that retarted? you can't extract the game's music into an mp3 format for your own personal liking. you know, anybody can buy a $5 radio and listen to metallica songs on that as well.
  • hmxgrichhmxgrich Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    The 2 best parts of the article:
    DailyGaming;38461 said:
    When asked to comment, Gamestop representatives asked reporters if they were looking forward to Halo 3 and if they would like to maybe pre-order a copy to make sure they got one at the release.
    And:
    DailyGaming;38461 said:
    same time that Metallica was quickly disappearing from the mainstream consciousness, for the decline in their records, believing that it was Napster, not their own douchebaggery, that stopped fans from buying their albums.
  • mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Wow, I just don't see how this is true. I mean, it CAN'T be true.... can it?
    Who in their right mind, even Metallica, would do something like this........
    I'm calling BS for now but i'm keeping a close eye on this bastard.......
  • Bakkster_ManBakkster_Man Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    FreQstar;38458 said:
    ZOMGWTFLOLLERSK8TESFTWROFLCOPTERHOTBBQONESANDEXLAMATIONPOINTS

oh and...

...is the funniest thing I've read all day (not counting the MCR DLC in GH2)
    Hooray, hilarious satire.
    When asked to comment, Gamestop representatives asked reporters if they were looking forward to Halo 3 and if they would like to maybe pre-order a copy to make sure they got one at the release.
  • edited August 2007
    mobhit101;38467 said:
    Wow, I just don't see how this is true. I mean, it CAN'T be true.... can it?
    Who in their right mind, even Metallica, would do something like this........
    I'm calling BS for now but i'm keeping a close eye on this bastard.......
    In no way is this true. It is well written satire but it is very much satire.
  • TheRockerTheRocker Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    What the Fruits!!
    Bunch of... , Thats Right Harmonix is Innocent!
  • Syko360Syko360 Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    Wow, This thing got kicked out of the main forum quicker than a whore in church. Clearly not even a possibility of being true.... ;) Figured I would post it just incase, That way I could lead the breaking news. :D

I loved the part that said....

"Red Octane provided the distinctive controller and Harmonix provided the game. The two companies parted ways in early 2007. Red Octane, now owned by Activision, is planning to squeeze the dying Guitar Hero franchise for every penny it's worth while Harmonix has gone on to work on Rock Band, seen by many fans as the successor to Guitar Hero in spirit, if not in name."
  • AVC808AVC808 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    BobLoblaw;38450 said:
    I agree with Magnet. They're gonna sue Harmonix for everything they've got and Rock Band probably won't be released. :(
    are you being sarcastic too? you do realize the worst that can happen is that both games will remove the metallica tracks at the last minute. they're not dumb enough to postpone the release date to hold out for one song. one song does not sell the entire game.

i dont understand metallica's logic at all. it's totally different from file sharing. like rev0lver said it's not like i can port it over to my ipod. if anything playing the tracks would make me want to go back and dig through my old CDs to find the song and listen to it again. and if i dont have it go out and buy it.

**edit** heh, i guess it pays to read the actual article and not reply based on the thread title eh? :)
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    No way this is real. Haha. Why would they do this after agreeing to release the songs in Rock Band? Metallica even had announcements on their own site talking about how they would be featured in Rock Band. I doubt they would then go back on this deal and try and sue Harmonix. I didn't find this that funny at all.
    edited August 2007
    Rev0lver;38461 said:
    are they really that retarted? you can't extract the game's music into an mp3 format for your own personal liking. you know, anybody can buy a $5 radio and listen to metallica songs on that as well.
    Whats next ? Suing Radio ?
  • HuwonkHuwonk Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    This is definitely a hoax. Remember Metallica did a different hoax with Beatallica (a band that played Beatles songs in a Metallica style)... they're probably just trying to be funny. None of these companies are dumb enough to not go through the proper legal channels to acquire licensing on tracks.
    edited August 2007
    hmxsean;38469 said:
    In no way is this true. It is well written satire but it is very much satire.
    OK good....
    lol, i just posted it up on the GH forums :(
    I'll need to clear that up as well...
    Thanks hmxsean
  • battle_axe_of_doombattle_axe_of_doom Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    are you guys really that gullible?? its obviously a jab at metallica for suing napster way back when.....
  • FreQstarFreQstar Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    mobhit101;38490 said:
    OK good....
    lol, i just posted it up on the GH forums :(
    I'll need to clear that up as well...
    Thanks hmxsean
    Oh boy, the GH forum is like the wild west meets lord of the flies most of the time.
    With virtually no moderation I'd bet there server is tipped over and on fire right now.
    edited August 2007
    Wow, LMFAO. Thanks guys I don't know what was more funny, reading the article or reading the responses here.

Also thanks to HMXSean for putting out the fire before it was a wildfire. I saw this posted on N4G.com which is known for rumors and quickly posted it here, before reading it real good. By the time I was finished reading the rest of it, it was clearly fake and the post had been moved like greased lightning.

God help the Guitar Hero forums now that it has been leaked over there :D They have no one to put out the flames over at that he11 hole.

Also I posted a confirmed rumor over at N4G.com so the fire will be out over there soon also.:cool:

Great article however, very funny read. But extremely shocking at first!
    edited August 2007
    Who started this rumor ?
    edited August 2007
    http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-59212.aspx

As you can see no mention of satire and the opening paragraphs sound convincing. So I came here and saw no one had posted it so I posted it up before actually reading it and soon realized I had been had...:mad: But HMXSean took care of it quickly before I started a riot...:o Sorry

I have since posted this on N4G.com: It is a link to HMXSean's post on the second page saying this article is only satire. But sometimes that place is crazy and the first story might still steamroll out of control.

http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-59225.aspx

Please click on the second link as this will make the story make the front page and help squash the rumor over at N4g.com Thanks
  • outofcontroloutofcontrol Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    this is the reason i dont like metallica that much. they sue everybody.
  • EastwoodEastwood Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    At least we got some kind of news today.. all be it fake news... and a little bit of excitement on the forums... Think of it as a finger warm up for after Penny Arcade... Hopefully...
    edited August 2007
    Syko360;38516 said:
    Wow, LMFAO. Thanks guys I don't know what was more funny, reading the article or reading the responses here.

Also thanks to HMXSean for putting out the fire before it was a wildfire. I saw this posted on N4G.com which is known for rumors and quickly posted it here, before reading it real good. By the time I was finished reading the rest of it, it was clearly fake and the post had been moved like greased lightning.

God help the Guitar Hero forums now that it has been leaked over there :D They have no one to put out the flames over at that he11 hole.

Also I posted a confirmed rumor over at N4G.com so the fire will be out over there soon also.:cool:

Great article however, very funny read. But extremely shocking at first!
    LOL, yep. I posted this up over there at the GH forums but once I got the response from sean I quickly deleted it. I would have been burnt to a crisp over there by now lol.
  • edited August 2007
    I am going to lock this one up before it gets out of hand. If I have said it once I have said it a thousand times irony and the internet go together like toothpaste and orange juice. Ok, maybe I have only said it that time...
This discussion has been closed.