Is Led Zeppelin over hyped?

edited September 2007 in History of Rock
Is it just me or is Led Zeppelin over hyped just a wee bit? In my opinion, they're a good rock band, but seriously, they are not the end-all be-all of music like most people say. They did have quite a few good rock songs (Houses of the Holy, Trampled Under Foot, OTHAFA, Achilles Last Stand), but the song they are most known for (Stairway:rolleyes: ) is not that great, it's about getting high for God's sake...

Anyone with me?

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Led Zeppelin are ranked No. 1 on VH1's list of the 100 greatest artists of hard rock. They beat out Black Sabbath. Are you f*cking kidding me?
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    If by "a few good" rock songs, you mean, like, "the most amazing collection of songs from any one artist on the planet past, present, or future" then yeah. They'd still be under-rated.

More people would say the Beatles are the best rock band ever.
  • freakonatefreakonate Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Led Zeppelin bores the crap outta me. They've always bored the crap outta me.
    Stairway to Boredom anyone? :p ::::Yawn:::
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    I don't really think they are that over hyped. I can only think of a handful of bands that have done as much for music and are as good. They deserve the recognition they get.
  • gh2masterwellalmostgh2masterwellalmost Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Julio-Claudius;39323 said:
    Led Zeppelin are ranked No. 1 on VH1's list of the 100 greatest artists of hard rock. They beat out Black Sabbath. Are you f*cking kidding me?
    oh yh... cos Black Sabbath are good (EXTREME COUGHS)

I wont say anymore, cos ill be adding fuel to the already very powerful fire of FLAMING!
  • edited August 2007
    gh2masterwellalmost;39384 said:
    oh yh... cos Black Sabbath are good (EXTREME COUGHS)

I wont say anymore, cos ill be adding fuel to the already very powerful fire of FLAMING!
    :rolleyes:

Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden are the founding fathers of heavy metal.
  • gh2masterwellalmostgh2masterwellalmost Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Julio-Claudius;39399 said:
    :rolleyes:

Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden are the founding fathers of heavy metal.
    Yes. Because heavy metal is the best type of rock. :rolleyes:
  • trevordude_24trevordude_24 Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    what are you talking about led zeppelin is one of the best bands ever, they have a ton of good songs... who cares if its about getting high.... 90% of rock is like that
    edited August 2007
    Not all of it, some of it is about Tolkien.

Fantasy Literature + Rock = Brilliant.
  • Phrank-EPhrank-E Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    The thing about Zeppelin is that every album they did was a bit different than the last. They (Jimmy) experimented alot with different scales and the like. And like the wife says... It doesn't much matter what kinda mood she's in, there is a perfect song to go along with it.

Not to many bands can put out over a decades worth of albums and not have them all sound alike cough*AC/DC*cough. Or go from good as hell to lousy as **** overnight, cough*Metallica*cough
    edited August 2007
    Houses of the Holy is so good. I listened to it, and then listened to LZ1 back to back, and it's just so amazing how different they sound.
  • edited August 2007
    newwaytodie;39477 said:
    Houses of the Holy is so good. I listened to it, and then listened to LZ1 back to back, and it's just so amazing how different they sound.
    Agree. I still have the vinyl record and I'm getting it framed. But I wonder how I'll explain why I have a picture of naked children framed in my room to Mister Roeper.:(
  • edited August 2007
    newwaytodie;39427 said:

Fantasy Literature + Rock = power metal
    FIXEDED!!!
  • RockermanRockerman Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    nope.Do not agree with you.Zepplin deserves all the credit they get because every song they made was genius,kinda like Sabbath and the beatles:cool:
  • aku_chiaku_chi Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    In my opinion, Stairway To Heaven is underrated. Stairway To Heaven is the greatest song ever made and ever will be made. There are so many ways to interpret the song; it is utterly foolish to assume it is "about getting high". The lyrics are incredibly powerful ("Our shadows taller than our souls", "Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on"). The musical build-up is excellently measured and performed. The song is a journey and it should not be interrupted, started partway, or in any other way disrupted. The guitar feature in the instrumental segment in the sixth minute of the song is fantastic.

Beyond that, Led Zeppelin has some other great/good songs throughout their lifespan. From "Rock and Roll" to "Since I've Been Loving You" to "The Song Remains the Same" to "Achilles Last Stand"; it's all pretty solid. Overrated, I think not.
  • edited August 2007
    aku_chi;39632 said:
    In my opinion, Stairway To Heaven is underrated. Stairway To Heaven is the greatest song ever made and ever will be made. There are so many ways to interpret the song; it is utterly foolish to assume it is "about getting high". The lyrics are incredibly powerful ("Our shadows taller than our souls", "Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on"). The musical build-up is excellently measured and performed. The song is a journey and it should not be interrupted, started partway, or in any other way disrupted. The guitar feature in the instrumental segment in the sixth minute of the song is fantastic.
    -_-

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now. Yup, that's some deep **** there.

He says there's a lady that's BUYING a stairway to HEAVEN. The stairway is obviously the drugs themselves and "heaven" is the high you get.
  • Hade01Hade01 Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    gh2masterwellalmost;39418 said:
    I thought you'd come around. :p
  • edited August 2007
    gh2masterwellalmost;39418 said:
    This here's what we call a "Foghat fan."
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    newwaytodie;39427 said:

Fantasy Literature + Rock = Brilliant.
    Only the best Rock songs involve Tolkien!
  • the_polite_forcethe_polite_force Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    1. wuts wrong with foghat??
    2. metal isn't the greatest genre of music
    3. i thought in order to have hype it couldn't be released yet?? this point is just nitpicking cuz i would have used the phrase "over-rated" instead of over hyped
    4. led zeppelin are definitely over rated but that doesn't mean they aren't a fantastic band which they are
    5. black sabbath owns go to hell whoever claimed black sabbath blew
    6. beatles are the best band ever :D
  • ShardsOfNarsilShardsOfNarsil Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    Kudos to you guys who are loving Zep. They are in no way overhyped, in fact, they're underrated. All that about them plaigerizing songs and selling their souls to the devil is a bunch of crap, no matter how nicely you dress it up. I'm pretty used to people dissing them. I read a post some "Matty" guy did once, where he described in great detail that if he lined up his albums in chronological order, the color schemes represent Zep's descension into "Hell" and then their abysmal climb back to redemption. Also, he states that at the end of the 4th album, which is supposed to be the last album before "Hell" (Houses of the Holy, it's bright orange exterior) Robert Plant says "Going down, Goind down now" and Matty raved and swore up and down that "You can barely hear it, you may have to be in a questionable state of mine, if you know what I mean, to hear it, but it's there! He's talking about Zep going to HELL!!"

I dunno about you guys, but I've known that that was there since I first started listening to Zeppelin. And I've never done drugs in my life. It's simply a common blues phrase, kind of like an "Oh yeah" or a "C'mon"--words that songwriters throw in for the hell of it.

Like I said. No matter how nicely you dress it up, it's still a bunch of crap. Some people like to wave the old "they sold their souls to the devil" flag because #1.) It's mainstream! and secondly, because I believe that some people have a hard time believing that Zep were that amazing on their own. Hate to break it to you, but they were. You have to understand them to appreciate what fantastic musicians and lyricists they were. You cannot be the kind of person to say "Yeah, I've heard 'Stairway' Led Zeppelin is pretty cool" and call yourself a fan or even begin to appreciate their music. And Stairway to Heaven is not about getting high, it's a wonderfully written, beautiful song about life.

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now" is talking about how in life, things change, and when they do, don't be alarmed, because it's natural and inevitable and is the only way to really live and grow. And "she's buying a stairway to heaven" represents someone who is trying to find an easy way out, afterall, like I said, this song is about LIFE, and sometimes LIFE IS TOUGH, and the particular person mentioned is buying a stairway in order to get where they're going quickly after they've done their time on earth.

Not satisfied? Read the lyrics to the Battle of Evermore, or Hey Hey What Can I do, or Ramble On. That should cure your "I don't know if I am confident in Led Zeppelin's songwriting abilities" blues.

So after all this well written and mild mannered gobbledygook, let me ruin it all and sign off by saying Led Zeppelin is God and if you don't think so then in the immortal words of Monty Python, "**** off, you son of a silly person and go boil your bottom elsewhere!"

Haha, thanks.

-Cheyloe
  • Absolute1999Absolute1999 Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    ShardsOfNarsil;39752 said:
    Kudos to you guys who are loving Zep. They are in no way overhyped, in fact, they're underrated. All that about them plaigerizing songs and selling their souls to the devil is a bunch of crap, no matter how nicely you dress it up. I'm pretty used to people dissing them. I read a post some "Matty" guy did once, where he described in great detail that if he lined up his albums in chronological order, the color schemes represent Zep's descension into "Hell" and then their abysmal climb back to redemption. Also, he states that at the end of the 4th album, which is supposed to be the last album before "Hell" (Houses of the Holy, it's bright orange exterior) Robert Plant says "Going down, Goind down now" and Matty raved and swore up and down that "You can barely hear it, you may have to be in a questionable state of mine, if you know what I mean, to hear it, but it's there! He's talking about Zep going to HELL!!"

I dunno about you guys, but I've known that that was there since I first started listening to Zeppelin. And I've never done drugs in my life. It's simply a common blues phrase, kind of like an "Oh yeah" or a "C'mon"--words that songwriters throw in for the hell of it.

Like I said. No matter how nicely you dress it up, it's still a bunch of crap. Some people like to wave the old "they sold their souls to the devil" flag because #1.) It's mainstream! and secondly, because I believe that some people have a hard time believing that Zep were that amazing on their own. Hate to break it to you, but they were. You have to understand them to appreciate what fantastic musicians and lyricists they were. You cannot be the kind of person to say "Yeah, I've heard 'Stairway' Led Zeppelin is pretty cool" and call yourself a fan or even begin to appreciate their music. And Stairway to Heaven is not about getting high, it's a wonderfully written, beautiful song about life.

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now" is talking about how in life, things change, and when they do, don't be alarmed, because it's natural and inevitable and is the only way to really live and grow. And "she's buying a stairway to heaven" represents someone who is trying to find an easy way out, afterall, like I said, this song is about LIFE, and sometimes LIFE IS TOUGH, and the particular person mentioned is buying a stairway in order to get where they're going quickly after they've done their time on earth.

Not satisfied? Read the lyrics to the Battle of Evermore, or Hey Hey What Can I do, or Ramble On. That should cure your "I don't know if I am confident in Led Zeppelin's songwriting abilities" blues.

So after all this well written and mild mannered gobbledygook, let me ruin it all and sign off by saying Led Zeppelin is God and if you don't think so then in the immortal words of Monty Python, "**** off, you son of a silly person and go boil your bottom elsewhere!"

Haha, thanks.

-Cheyloe

Yay, go Cheyloe.
    We're going to totally own these peeps in Rock Band scores when we get the game this November....
    You on Vocals, and Drums. and Me on Guitar.... Woot. we will own.
    Love You,
    Ronnie.
  • Kang_ZirconKang_Zircon Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    A bunch of crazy stuff about Zeppelin going to hell...
    So...ummmm.......Is your friend some kind of conspiracy theorist/fundamentalis christian? I've seriously never heard anything like that in my life.

Anyway, I don't see how Zeppelin is really over-hyped. Where exactly are they being hyped, cause I'd like to hear what's being said... Are you upset about that one VH1 list? Because, I've never heard of any top 10/100/whatever list that wasn't complete garbage. They are an utter waste of time and thought and aren't worth getting upset about.
  • monlienNH3monlienNH3 Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    I'm not the biggest Zeppelin fan (though I do like them), but they are certainly not over-rated. You have to look at older bands with perspective. Led Zeppelin were revolutionary to rock - along with quite a few artists at the time. Bands that change music for the better can never be over-rated in my opinion.
  • edited August 2007

Actually, those words mean nothing. Robert Plant improvised when he wrote Stairway to Heaven. And that is merely your interpretation.
  • IbanezBassist_v2IbanezBassist_v2 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    freakonate;39363 said:
    Led Zeppelin bores the crap outta me. They've always bored the crap outta me.
    Stairway to Boredom anyone? :p ::::Yawn:::
    Maybe its not Zeppelin, but you who is boring. Contemplate that one freak.
  • CrazyIvanCrazyIvan Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    I personally love Zeppelin, and completely respect their place in rock history. They are among my elite pantheon of bands that can "do no wrong" in my eyes.

That being said, there are definitely some Zeppelin songs that are highly overrated. Or if not overrated, HIGHLY overplayed. They have a nearly endless selection of truly amazing songs to choose from, and you still only hear 5 or 6 on the radio/commercials/movies. I mean, c'mon! Hell, some of their best songs are their B sides.

So to those that trash on Zeppelin, I say check out their entire collection. Not their "greatest hits", and definitely not the radio songs. You'll come around.
  • DesensitizedDesensitized Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Julio-Claudius;39643 said:
    This here's what we call a "Foghat fan."
    I don't care for metal OR Foghat. So there goes that theory.

I tend to think everything after IV is underrated, really. The only song anybody mentions is 'Kashmir' from those albums.
  • edited August 2007
    Desensitized;40009 said:
    I tend to think everything after IV is underrated, really. The only song anybody mentions is 'Kashmir' from those albums.
    I agree with this, Houses of the Holy is my favorite Zep album.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited August 2007
    Houses of the Holy is amazing, but I don't find it as consistent as Led Zeppelin II. Awfully close, though.