HELP what is the best way to beat Green Grass and High Tides on expert guitar!!!!

metAlApollometAlApollo Unsigned
edited August 2008 in Rock Band

Hey I am need some help on beating Green Grass and High Tides on expert and I'm starting to hate the song that I like soooo much. I try using the frets towards the bottom but I get lost and confused with my finger placements! The farthest that I've gotten is at 80 percent of the song.:mad:

Comments

• KillAutumnKillAutumn Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    The best way I can say is go crazy on Green, Yellow, and Red while strumming and try to get as far as you can. Once your in bare-ass Red, Deploy your Overdrive. By any luck, you'll hit the Overdrive in the break while still in Overdrive before you get to the Red, Yellow, and Blue Zig-zag of death.

This song gives a lot fo trouble, but trying to find the best way to get through it is the only way I can tell you. Just keep trying!
  • TiberiouslbTiberiouslb Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    If you're at 80% percent you're nearly there. You probably already tried to save overdrive etc.

So the best thing I've got for you is to cheat a little. When you get to the zig-zag parts try to focus on one direction. For example strum the yellow note then pull off to hit red then green, then wait for the yellow again. You'll miss just the hammer-on back to red, meaning you'll hit 3/4 of the notes which is good enough. Then as you get better you can try to add the hammer on.

The later part that just goes one direction is actually tougher because its faster and it still fails me sometimes, especially after I'm getting worn out from the rest of the song.
  • TiberiouslbTiberiouslb Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    If you're not good at hammer-ons or pull-offs try to kind of roll your fingers/hand.

Edit: Choose which direction you go based on which you find easier. if you like hammer-ons start on the left side (green side), pull-offs right side (orange side). I find it best to try to time your strumming with the note that you start with and strum it every time, unless you become such an expert you never mess up in the zig-zag.
  • cuddiecuddie Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    Tiberiouslb;350070 said:
    When you get to the zig-zag parts try to focus on one direction. For example strum the yellow note then pull off to hit red then green, then wait for the yellow again.
    When I skip notes it seems like the rest don't register even if I'm hitting them (well in my opinion) correctly. I have not tried your exact suggestion yet, as my guitar is in a brown truck/warehouse somewhere. I have tried to skip a certain color during the "freebird" sections. Doesn't work well, but I'll try to imitate what you suggested as soon as my guitar gets back, whenever that may be.
  • Sarge51Sarge51 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    The Zig-Zags are easy if you practice them. It takes alot of practice and I have my days where I fail at those parts. Because I don't need Over-Drive when I can hit them... I usually save overdrive for that the Pull Offs near the end. -shiver-

Practice the song at about 80-90% speed to get the idea of the fretting.
  • Sgt PepperSgt Pepper Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Just keep going at it. I never developed any specific kind of strategy. I just kept going at it. Eventually, everything just falls into place.

Basically, practice.
  • RenX27RenX27 Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Im stuck at this part as well ussually at 85% i fail > made 92% once actually first time i played the song lol now tried about 30 times and always die same part. Ive tried so many different ways lol

Also ride the lighting i cant pass aslo lol the only 2 songs i cant pass expert.
  • Room_on_FireRoom_on_Fire Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Zig Zags
    Index Green Middle Yellow Right Hand's Pointer on Red. Hold Green Tap red and Time Yellows.

Slides
    Use right hand

Triplets
    Hold top fret on the chord buttons and tap out on solo

Psycho Break Down
    Only do Orange to Green slides. 7 outta eight are.
  • gocryemokidgocryemokid Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    Tiberiouslb;350070 said:

So the best thing I've got for you is to cheat a little. When you get to the zig-zag parts try to focus on one direction. For example strum the yellow note then pull off to hit red then green, then wait for the yellow again. You'll miss just the hammer-on back to red, meaning you'll hit 3/4 of the notes which is good enough. Then as you get better you can try to add the hammer on.
    I've been stuck on this song for 3 days now and never considered that. I get at least 85% every time. I'm actually not bad at the song for the non-solo parts and most of the solo's , theres just a couple parts in that last solo, specifically the "zig-zag of death". i never thought of it like that, i'm def going to try it out.
  • hamthegreathamthegreat Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Use the solo buttons. They make the song a lot easier.
  • gocryemokidgocryemokid Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    The solo buttons ususally screw me up. However, I never tried using those buttons for the whoel second solo, only once it gets to the szig zag part, which i assume is too late.
    my new strategy is to go into practice mode and practice the whole second solo with the solo buttons
  • BriGuyBriGuy Opening Act
    edited February 2008
  • NepheraNephera Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    SirPuttsAlot;351538 said:
    Here is something that I've been practicing to see if I can be more consistent. I've been using the normal Fret buttons on the left hand and the solo buttons on my right hand. When switching to the solo buttons, this means I am only moving 1 hand (Strumming hand) and not my second hand. Also, after the Freebird zig zag, it's easier for me to play the part before the second zig zag with the regular buttons and strumming. Same with the 4 note pull offs, red held down on the reg frets and o/b/y PO's with the solo buttons...
    ...Or... you could just always use the solo buttons. I find it easier reach from green to orange that way, personally.
  • tucsonovernitetucsonovernite Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    ..if the use of the word zigzag annoys you you should probably skip this post:
    It's best to keep this simple and use the solo buttons for the 2 zigzags and that very end orange blue yellow sequence. You'll find you likely won't even need overdrive for the zigzags if you give this even 10-15 minutes in practice mode.
    --go into practice and put it at 60-70% and run thru sections h/i a few times to familarize yourself with the sequences of notes just before the two zigzag sections. I say to do this because you are going to want to be able to recognize with certainity that these two sections are upon you a few seconds in advance so that you have time to calmly prepare yourself to use the solo buttons. Recognizing the zigzag patterns are approaching is important as you dont want to be 5 minutes into the song and have the first section surprise you and get behind. It is much better to sacrifice a few notes (hell even like 5 seconds worth) leading up to the first zigzag to have your right hand there ready to go.

For the first zigzag use your right hand and calmly just run your fingernail back and forth over the green, red , and yellow buttons following the simple zigzag pattern. If you do this a few times at 50%, then maybe 70% you should be able to go right to 100%. This really is foolproof as if you mess up a bit you can just stay calm and with no need to really be hammering on or pulling off there is room for error.

The second zigzag is the same except this time I placed my index finger of my left hand on the green solo fret and kept it there [/B]while again tracing the simple zigzag pattern with my right hand index fingernail the same way as the prior zigzag. I use my left hand index finger on the green solo fret basically as a place holder: it kept me from veering to far off to the left with my right index finger and accidentally going into the green button. YOu can just keep your left indexfinger holding down the green solo as a bumper.

The last section with the fast yellow, blue orange you'll want to hold down the yellow solo button with your left index finger and quickly flick your right index finger over the orange to blue in time with the sequence. Again you can do this at maybe 70% in practice then right to 100% as it's again a very limited movement, no variation ....just a quick orange-to-blue flick over those two buttons....its fast but doable and hopefully youll have overdrive there just incase....

Man when i first tried this i really felt almost like i was cheating cause of how quickly those solo buttons allowed me to pass this (15 minutes or so of practice and 2 attempts running thru the song)
  • vsTerminusvsTerminus Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    There's a video in my sig that might be of some use. I use the solo frets only once, at the very end. from 10:00 on.
  • patmac0014patmac0014 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    My suggestion would be to learn how to use the search function
  • CML207CML207 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I used the bottom frets the whole...takes a little egetting use to...then you dont have to strum on solos...then I used just my pointed finger on the crazy part(you know what Im talking about),...Takes a wehile to get the right speed, but I end up beating it with 4 stars with that technique
  • ThallisThallis Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    The best advice I can give is use the solo buttons UP TO the "Zig Zag of Death." Then you switch up (The bigger buttons allow for better timing). Then you stay up there until the final repeating 3 descending OBY at which you finger tap like crazy.
  • ThagreatbrainThagreatbrain Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    Alright, if your stuck where I think your stuck, it's at what I call the "Country Zigzag" because its like Free Bird (oddly enough, both guitar parts were by the same guy). For the first one in the second solo, stock up on overdrive. Then after that, there will be either a zigzag I mentioned before or "repeating 3's". Before that, there will be ONE overdrive opportunity. You must MILK THAT OVERDRIVE SET FOR ALL ITS WORTH if you wanna pass. After that, just stock up again for one more pattern from hell to end the solo and the song.
  • metAlApollometAlApollo Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    well thanks for all the advice and I will try it toonight
  • echorocksechorocks Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    use the solo buttons and go into overdrive at the first zig-zag, tap the notes after, (without strumming) and whammy the short sustained notes which should put you in overdrive. use it when your about to lose then from then on save your overdrive for the end of solo 2. or just practice for 6 weeks.
  • Constrict0rConstrict0r Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    echorocks;1021117 said:
    use the solo buttons and go into overdrive at the first zig-zag, tap the notes after, (without strumming) and whammy the short sustained notes which should put you in overdrive. use it when your about to lose then from then on save your overdrive for the end of solo 2. or just practice for 6 weeks.

May I ask why, exactly, you decided to revive a thread that hasn't been posted on in 5 months? I'm pretty sure he's beaten it by now or has given up.
  • dada limbodada limbo Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Constrict0r;1021731 said:
    May I ask why, exactly, you decided to revive a thread that hasn't been posted on in 5 months? I'm pretty sure he's beaten it by now or has given up.
    Dude. *I* haven't.

It's a simple rule: I don't get to buy RB2 until I finish RB1 on Guitar. And it's. The LAST. SONG.
  • hewhoislikegodhewhoislikegod Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    I just did it yesterday and this is what I can say;

1. Use the solo buttons. This is a must.

2. Do 3 of the 4 on the zig zags.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited August 2008
    How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
  • shayboshaybo Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    davidshek;1022312 said:
    How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
    Take a left at the necroing freakball.
    edited August 2008
    um, you never know.
    edited August 2008
    ya dada limbo is right i beat many songs by looking at these
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited August 2008
    when you get to the hard solo at the end, try to only do half the triples

123-123-123(or 321)
    instead of 123212321

i found it easier, sure my score wont go as high, but its better then a fail sometimes
  • MaxsamadamMaxsamadam Opening Act
    edited August 2008
    Im done trying to beat my X tour on guitar cuz of this song!!

I'll never beat it!:(