Battle of the Bands: Pink Floyd vs. Tool

Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
edited January 2013 in History of Rock
Today is a battle between two bands that are so unique that one cannot help but compare them.

[CENTER]Pink Floyd
wikipedia" said:
Pink Floyd are an English rock band that initially earned recognition for their psychedelic rock music, and, as they evolved, for their progressive rock music. They are known for philosophical lyrics, sonic experimentation, innovative cover art, and elaborate live shows. One of rock music's most successful acts, the group have sold over 200 million albums worldwide including 74.5 million albums in the United States alone.

Pink Floyd had moderate mainstream success and were one of the most popular bands in the London underground music scene in the late 1960s as a psychedelic band led by Syd Barrett; however, Barrett's erratic behaviour eventually forced his colleagues to replace him with guitarist and singer David Gilmour. After Barrett's departure, singer and bass player Roger Waters gradually became the dominant and driving force in the mid-1970s, until his eventual departure from the group in 1985. The band recorded several albums, achieving worldwide success with The Dark Side of the Moon (1973), Wish You Were Here (1975), Animals (1977), and The Wall (1979). In 1985, Waters declared Pink Floyd defunct, but although the remaining members, led by Gilmour, were sued by Waters for rights to the name, they continued recording and touring as Pink Floyd and enjoyed commercial success with A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) and The Division Bell (1994), eventually reaching a settlement with Waters over the use of the name.

Waters performed with the band for the first time in 24 years on July 2, 2005 at the London Live 8 concert.

Pink Floyd have influenced rock music artists of the 1970s such as Genesis and Yes; and various contemporary artists such as Dream Theater, Tool, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, The Orb, Anathema and Nine Inch Nails.
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Tool[/CENTER]
[center][quote="wikipedia"]Tool is an American rock band that was formed in 1990 in Los Angeles, California. The band consists of drummer Danny Carey, bassist Justin Chancellor, guitarist Adam Jones, and vocalist Maynard James Keenan. Tool has won three Grammy Awards, hosted worldwide tours, and produced albums which have performed well on international music charts.

The band emerged with a heavy metal sound on their first LP at a time when the genre was dominated by thrash metal, and later reached the top of the alternative metal movement with the release of their second LP,

Comments

• BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Welcome back

Gotta go with pink Floyd on this one. Never found tool that interesting. And i wonder what all the Hype is about them for? Pink floyd were realy amazing. Dark side of the moon was the first album i ever listend to straight through. They were so inventive, creative and extreamly talented. Although i did think the wall was a little overrated. Money and time are some of the greatest songs ever
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    This one was easy for me. Definitely Pink Floyd.
  • KillBoxKillBox Opening Act
    edited March 2008
  • AlterEgoAlterEgo Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Apples and oranges my friend.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Floyd. Never got Tool.

Welcome back Julio.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    No contest dude. Pink Floyd.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2008
    I agree with AlterEgo. You can't really compare Pink Floyd and Tool. Both of the bands are entirely different. I think it would have been better to compare Floyd with Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, or even The Doors. Likewise, Tool could have been matched against Alice in Chains, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, or Soundgarden. It is really hard to find a good match for Tool, though...

Your poll though, Julio. :) Keep up the good work with these!
  • umainebearmanumainebearman Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Tool is a high school marching band from northern Maine (I'm from Maine so yeah I know they are all bad) compared the the Brilliance of Pink Floyd. Tool doesn't even deserve to be mentioned as a band in the same breath as Pink Floyd.

Can a Mod actually change the thread title to Pink Floyd vs. That bunch of fools named for a device used for building things......... hmmm have to rethink that one. :p
  • Focker420Focker420 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    umainebearman;366418 said:
    Tool is a high school marching band from northern Maine (I'm from Maine so yeah I know they are all bad) compared the the Brilliance of Pink Floyd. Tool doesn't even deserve to be mentioned as a band in the same breath as Pink Floyd.

Can a Mod actually change the thread title to Pink Floyd vs. That bunch of fools named for a device used for building things......... hmmm have to rethink that one. :p
    im 100% for TOOL!! every1 who keeps saying they dont get them is probably cause they'ver never listened to any or one of their good songs... in my opinion julio made some poor chioces on the songs he posted videos for... Forty Six & 2, and H., are wayy better... Tool always has killer guitar and bass riffs, intense and powerful vocals and some insane drums... so just cause ur used to slow mellow stuff like pink floyd doesnt mean tool doesnt have brilliant music... how bout u listen to more than 30 seconds of one song before u judge whos better... i think tool is a way better rock band, but thats because i like tools style... i think pink floyd is extremely slow and puts me to sleep... money is probably the only song i like from them... every1 has different tastes in music... tool does not consist of fools, i like all ur name calling when u know nothing of the band... if u listened to even one songs lyrics u would realize they are far from fools and actually extremely intelligent... ive seen them sell millions of records... i hear u bitching about them on a forum online... whos the fool?!
  • ZidaneZidane Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Pink Floyd for sure. Tool is talented and everything, but I never got into them. Oh well...
  • TheVIRUSacsw52TheVIRUSacsw52 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Pink Floyd hands down. I love Tool and I really love Pink Floyd, but I don't see much of a battle here. Tool has not put out enough material to match up with one of the all-time greats.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited March 2008
  • JMcQ77JMcQ77 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    To the OP, "better" is too vague for a music discussion. Does better mean: (1) you like them more; (2) the band is more talented; (3) the band is more influential; (4) the band has a more complete body of work...etc.

BTW, I like Tool and have several albums but to use a sports analogy, this is like comparing Chris Paul with Magic Johnson. Yeah, Paul has had some GREAT years and is a talented point guard but no one could/should compare him to Magic. Magic is an icon.

Similarly, Pink Floyd is an icon and one of the "greatest" ;) rock bands in history. Tool's not there, yet.
    edited March 2008
    JMcQ77;367270 said:
    To the OP, "better" is too vague for a music discussion. Does better mean: (1) you like them more; (2) the band is more talented; (3) the band is more influential; (4) the band has a more complete body of work...etc.
    All of those should factor in to your vote. Especially 1.
    edited March 2008
  • NastadonNastadon Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    umainebearman;366418 said:
    My school was pretty ****in intense... :p

Anyways Pink Floyd is garabge. Cannot stand them. So I gotta go with tool.
  • noobertnoobert Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    tools ok...but comparing them to floyd is nonsense. not even close to being in the same league
  • BedBeatsBedBeats Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Tool....because they sort of took conceptualization, ala Floyd.....and ran with it.

Im also just sick and tired of Pink Floyd.
  • JD71JD71 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Pink Floyd is one of the greatest bands in my eyes, but so is Tool. Really, really tough call for me.

If I were to choose just one.. I'd go for Tool. There I said it...
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    I think the problem with this match up is that most Tool fans are Pink Floyd fans but not all Pink Floyd fans are Tool fans.
  • Focker420Focker420 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    polishdog90;368916 said:
    I think the problem with this match up is that most Tool fans are Pink Floyd fans but not all Pink Floyd fans are Tool fans.
    i would have to agree with u on that 1... lol great post..
  • DestromasDestromas Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Focker420;366448 said:
    im 100% for TOOL!! every1 who keeps saying they dont get them is probably cause they'ver never listened to any or one of their good songs... in my opinion julio made some poor chioces on the songs he posted videos for... Forty Six & 2, and H., are wayy better... Tool always has killer guitar and bass riffs, intense and powerful vocals and some insane drums... so just cause ur used to slow mellow stuff like pink floyd doesnt mean tool doesnt have brilliant music... how bout u listen to more than 30 seconds of one song before u judge whos better... i think tool is a way better rock band, but thats because i like tools style... i think pink floyd is extremely slow and puts me to sleep... money is probably the only song i like from them... every1 has different tastes in music... tool does not consist of fools, i like all ur name calling when u know nothing of the band... if u listened to even one songs lyrics u would realize they are far from fools and actually extremely intelligent... ive seen them sell millions of records... i hear u bitching about them on a forum online... whos the fool?!
    You present your argument as juvenile as possible, huh? I'd go with Pink Floyd because they have music that doesn't sound the same across every album. Tool has killer bass and guitar riffs in the same tuning and the same low D note in every song. Maynard James sounds the same in every single project he's in. It's good when you hear it the first time. It's stupid when you listen to an album and wonder why they didn't title all the songs the same. Pink Floyd's lyrical content far exceeds what Tool has ever done as well, try The Wall or DSotM. And you watched them sell millions of records? Wow... what were the stores doing when this happened? They have the day off? Get a new perspective on reality. Graduate from high school.
  • DestromasDestromas Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    The two groups are so different, why the hell does the OP say to compare them? They're easier to contrast. God damn people don't know **** for English anymore.
  • Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Pink Floyd has...
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn - 4/5
    Saucer Full of Secrets - 5/5
    More - 3/5
    UmmaGumma - 3.5/5
    Atom Heart Mother - 4.3/5
    Meddle - 5/5
    Obscurred by Clouds - 3.5/5
    Dark Side of the Moon - 5/5
    Wish you Were Here - 6/5
    Animals - 6/5
    The Wall - 5/5
    The Final Cut - 4/5
    Momentary Lapse of Reason - 4/5
    The Division Bell - 4.5/5

Live Albums
    Delicate Sound of Thunder - 3.5/5
    Pulse - 4/5
    Is anybody out there? - 5/5
    Live 66-67 - 3/5
    and not to mention all the live dvds that are incredible.

Tool has

Undertow - 3.5/5
    Aenima - 4/5
    Lateralus - 5/5
    30,00 days - 3.75/5

I like both, but I am going with Floyd.
    edited March 2008
    Destromas;368954 said:
    The two groups are so different, why the hell does the OP say to compare them? They're easier to contrast. God damn people don't know **** for English anymore.
    I know English, you're just a douche. :)
  • tombradytombrady Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Destromas;368953 said:
    You present your argument as juvenile as possible, huh? I'd go with Pink Floyd because they have music that doesn't sound the same across every album. Tool has killer bass and guitar riffs in the same tuning and the same low D note in every song. Maynard James sounds the same in every single project he's in. It's good when you hear it the first time. It's stupid when you listen to an album and wonder why they didn't title all the songs the same. Pink Floyd's lyrical content far exceeds what Tool has ever done as well, try The Wall or DSotM. And you watched them sell millions of records? Wow... what were the stores doing when this happened? They have the day off? Get a new perspective on reality. Graduate from high school.
    Yeah, it's unfortunate that this guy is the kind of Tool fan who gives the rest of us a bad name :(

Tool is my favorite band so I voted for them, but I think even they would say this is no contest. Floyd has the advantage of hindsight...no one knows how Tool is going to be looked at in 30 years.

I do have to disagree with you with the "all songs sounding the same" and lyrical content "FAR" exceeding Tool's, and also definitely disagreeing about Maynard sounding the same on everything he does.

All songs sounding the same
    Yes they are in drop D and as a testament to that fact that they do whore a lot of the same sounds a lot, that D is probably one of the only notes I could sing at will without hearing something else for reference.

Despite that, I think their music gets its strength from its composition...they may have very simplistic guitar and bass riffs, but they do a lot of things that I appreciate as a musician. I am really not trying to sound like a typical pretentious dickwad Tool fan here (Trust me, I hate them just as much as anyone else), but I think to FULLY appreciate the band, you do need to have some understanding of music theory--some of the timing stuff these guys do synchronized together (or against each other) is really rare in music today and it's simply ****ing hard to do--simply put, they compose dramatic and layered music.

I just don't think "Their songs all sound the same" is a very fair thing to say about any band, because most bands do have a particular sound to them...and Tool just uses so many different accent patterns and creative use of rhythm and meter that I think it's obvious you don't really know much about them.

Lyrical Content
    I mean I guess that can be said about Opiate and Undertow (and to a lesser degree 10k days) but to me you can't even compare it. I think Aenima and Lateralus are two really well written albums in terms of lyrics...they prove that they can do blunt in your face "metal" on tracks like "Hooker With a Penis" and "Aenima" but that they can also do more abstract and cryptic songs like "Parabola" and "Lateralus."

Also many of the songs (on Aenima especially..."Jimmy" and "H." and "Prison Sex" on Undertow) have a lot of emotion poured into them from Maynard...I think when a singer delves into some of the unfortunate circumstances in his/her life it adds a bit of personal tragedy to the songs...I really think he writes some lyrics that are probably emotionally draining.

Not to say Floyd doesn't have great lyrical content...I just think it's a bit of an unfair thing to simply say "Far exceeds"

Maynard sounding the same
    This is the point that made me conclude you really haven't listened to very much of their music

First of all, it's a stupid argument because every singer sounds similar on every song they do. When you listen to a Queen song you know it's Freddy, when you listen to a Who song you know it's Daltrey, when you listen to a Zeppelin song you know it's Plant, you know it's Maiden when you here Dickinson, etc etc etc.

I really don't expect Freddy Mercury to suddenly start growling like James Hetfield, and I don't expect Maynard to dramatically change his singing style either.

Having said that, I still think he has a lot of versatility and emotion in singing. I seriously think "Ticks and Leeches" is the only screaming song that I don't find utterly obnoxious, because Maynard has the ability to yell angrily, not angsty. It's kind of hard to even describe his voice because he's so good at going from a peaceful mellow tone to a more dramatic and powerful voice, to a whisper, to a flat out scream. And because of the dramatic and almost classical composition of their music (Lots of build ups and climaxes that mellow out) he utilizes multiple styles in basically every song.

Anyway...you're free to think Pink Floyd is more deserving of the vote--I voted for Tool because they are my favorite band, but I'm not foolish enough to say they've accomplished anything close to Floyd at this point. With that said, I think some of the things you said are flat out false.
  • FatWilmaFatWilma Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    i'll try not to sound too opinionated here, but Floyd is the greatest band of all time. hard to compete with that :)
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited March 2008
    Pink Floyd, ftfw.

EDIT: Greatest band ever? Try listening to a little thing called LED ZEPPELIN, im sure u'll like it ;)
  • FatWilmaFatWilma Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    oh c'mon, i love zepp, but pink floyd is the greatest band ever.
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    FatWilma;370465 said:
    oh c'mon, i love zepp, but pink floyd is the greatest band ever.
    Uut-ohh watch out we might be having a LEd Zeppelin Vs. pink FLoyd vs. The who soon ahaha. Im not starting that again. Still my vote Goes to the who as greatest "ROCK BAND" Pink floyd are up there for greatest band but not rock band.