Does anyone else only use 3 fingers?

edited June 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
A while ago a "friend" of mine screwed up my pinky... I think it left some major damage because ever since i havnt been able to use it properly... Including when i play GH.

I'm fine doing 3 button chords using either green, yellow and blue or red, blue and orange. However i find it hard doing the green, red, blue and red, yellow, orange.

Just wondering if there are many other ppl out there that play GH with only 3 fingers and if it ever gets in the way. On Scorehero's Expert rankings I'm getting ranked around 1000-ish and on hard im about 350th... Thats about as good as i can get without using my little useless pinky, lol.

Comments

• BeckRokkBeckRokk Opening Act
    edited May 2007
    My friend plays with only three fingers. He plays a lot and still can't do anything above the fourth or fifth tier on GHII Expert. He insists that he'll be able to do it some day but I know he won't without using his pinky. Take that for what you will.
  • edited May 2007
    Nah, he'll get there. Ive finished every song on Expert except Jordan, and all that was without my pinky... so i dont see why he couldnt do it too.
  • benjaminbenjamin Opening Act
    edited May 2007
    Yes, I do, and I do quite well.

If you have the 360 version my GT is SheckyCaulfield I am ranked 82 I believe.
  • edited June 2007
    I use all four, but I'm still probably not as good as sa_nick, but I have beaten Expert.
  • flclrocks07flclrocks07 Unsigned
    edited June 2007
    Dude! I thought I was the only one that used three fingers. Yeah it's totally possible to play GH with only three fingers. I've beaten every song on expert except for Jordan and I'm more than half way there without using my pinkie. Hope you adapt well though and sorry about your pinkie. Oh and I also was in a local tournament not too long ago and got 2nd place on Expert.
  • ArdiusArdius Rising Star
    edited June 2007
    I use four, I realised, back with GH1 when i was trying to do the latter tiers on Medium, that three fingers is so much effort compared to just training my little finger.
    I tell everyone new to the game to start using their little finger when they start medium because it just makes the game 10 times easier. There is a reason you have four fingers ;)

Everyone I see that uses 3 fingers has a much harder time getting up to hard and expert...simply because it requires so much hand movement.......if youve got your first finger on green, for orange notes with three fingers, youre moving down two whole buttons...whereas with four fingers you only move down one button. This does equate to some time lost, especially when in the solos.
  • HMXChrisCanfieldHMXChrisCanfield Harmonix Developer
    edited June 2007
    I use both 3 and 4 fingers, depending on the situation, but I'm usually only on 3.
  • edited June 2007
    Ardius;3095 said:
    Everyone I see that uses 3 fingers has a much harder time getting up to hard and expert...simply because it requires so much hand movement.......if youve got your first finger on green, for orange notes with three fingers, youre moving down two whole buttons...whereas with four fingers you only move down one button. This does equate to some time lost, especially when in the solos.
    Yeah i think solo's are really the only big problem i have with using 3 fingers. My biggest strength is hitting chords and i think thats because i only use 3 fingers. I see some ppl playing with four fingers who will hit a green/yellow chord with their index and ring finger, then hit a red and blue chord with their middle and pinky. Isnt it easier to just move your hand like 3 cm and use the same fingers?

Even if it's a green/red chord to a blue/orange chird i'll still use only my index and middle finger, just move my hand. It's just more fun.
  • ArdiusArdius Rising Star
    edited June 2007
    sa_nick;3102 said:
    Yeah i think solo's are really the only big problem i have with using 3 fingers. My biggest strength is hitting chords and i think thats because i only use 3 fingers. I see some ppl playing with four fingers who will hit a green/yellow chord with their index and ring finger, then hit a red and blue chord with their middle and pinky. Isnt it easier to just move your hand like 3 cm and use the same fingers?

Even if it's a green/red chord to a blue/orange chird i'll still use only my index and middle finger, just move my hand. It's just more fun.
    Yeah, it does sometimes make it confusing with four fingers because youve got arrange them in a certain way...which spends time trying to figure out where your hand should be in a few split seconds. Im really bad at learning very fast chord changes unless they are flowing one to another.
    E.g. A stream of Red/Yellow chords change to Red/Blue and then to Blue/Orange. I cand o that easily because its only moving a little bit.
    On the other hand, if its a very fast part with Green/Yellow then Blue/Orange then Red/Yellow then Green/Red then Green/Blue in less than 4 seconds my brain just freezes trying to work out what chords they are and where I should be placing my hand for the easiest path.

Solos are seemingly easier because there is usually a lot sliding and little Blue-Orange-Blue bits on the ends of other hammer-ons. E.g. The little bits in Madhouse on GH2 in the verses. These I can easily do with a small slide and fast use of the 3rd finger and pinky.