Who is the best of the legendary drummers of Rock and Roll?

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited March 2008 in History of Rock
So, who do you think is the greatest of the legendary drummers of rock?

Neil Peart - Rush

- YYZ

Keith Moon - The Who, The Detours

- Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere

Carl Palmer - Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, Asia

- Tank

Ginger Baker - Cream, Ginger Baker's Airforce, Blind Faith

- Toad

Terry Bozzio - Mothers Of Invention

- The Black Page

Bill Bruford - Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks, Genesis

- Jazz Session with Earthworks

Mitch Mitchell - Jimi Hendrix Experience

- Fire

Don Brewer - Grand Frunk Railroad

- TNUC

Steve Gadd - Steely Dan

Ian Paice - Deep Purple, Whitesnake

- Fireball

These are just 10 of the best rock drummers I thought should be listed. There are many, many others legendary drummers. Carmine Appice of Vanilla Fudge, Michael Giles of King Crimson, Stewart Copeland of the Police, Phil Collins of Genesis, Cozy Powell of Rainbow, Alex Van Halen of Van Halen, Peter Criss of KISS, Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones, Richard Starkey of the Beatles, Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac, John Densmore of the Doors, Ron Wilson of the Safaris, Nick Mason of Pink Floyd, Buddy Miles of the Band of Gypsies, Jim Capaldi of Traffic, Chris Slade of Uriah Heep, Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys, Frank Beard of ZZ Top, Rick Allen of Def Leppard, Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and even Jimmy Chamberlain of the Smashing Pumpkins.

Comments

• shenan1gansshenan1gans Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    i refuse to vote unless bonham goes up there!

but id definately pick moon for 2nd place
  • alexlucky0alexlucky0 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Moon Is untouchable nobody can drum with the emotion and style he plays with. He is also the most carasmatic outgoing person In rock and roll, Dont forget that clip is from 1966!
  • IslandBoy91IslandBoy91 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    John Bonham...How could you forget him?!?
  • dady5000dady5000 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;382421 said:
    Moon Is untouchable nobody can drum with the emotion and style he plays with. He is also the most carasmatic outgoing person In rock and roll, Dont forget that clip is from 1966!
    Sure, In terms of Sheer Skill and how he presents himself on stage (CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY, lol). He would be the most "Legendary".

I still think of Niel Peart as his equal, and...plays in a much calmer state usally. I like Neil's drumming better (Maybe because he can actually make a Drum solo Interesting).
    edited March 2008
    dady5000;382497 said:
    Sure, In terms of Sheer Skill and how he presents himself on stage (CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY, lol). He would be the most "Legendary".

I still think of Niel Peart as his equal, and...plays in a much calmer state usally. I like Neil's drumming better (Maybe because he can actually make a Drum solo Interesting).
    Niel Peart is an amazing drumer but in my opinion he is WAY too Technical and drums like a metranome he can drum the most complex paterns but its soulless and dosent seem to move the music as much as moon. Moon Is insane, Nothing the same twice. So unpredictable.

This is one of my favorite vids of them playing

hahahaha from 0:30 to 0:36 (No other drummer is like that)

BTW Second Choice would have been Bohnam, Never found anything to great in his druming but for what he did to Rock drumming is imesurable. Still Moon Was one of his main inspirations
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;382568 said:
    N
    hahahaha from 0:30 to 0:36 (No other drummer is like that)
    In what way?

I think the article in DrummerWorld on Moon is dead on:
    Moon's musical importance was similar to that of Brian Jones in the Rolling Stones. In much the same way that Jones, through his talent (and his abuse of it) helped lift the Stones above the level of every other blues-based band going, and made their image distinct, Moon did the same thing for the Who. When Jones left the Stones, to die just a few weeks later, they became more professional musically; they settled down with a true and admirable virtuoso in the guise of Mick Taylor, and their sound tightened up, but the youthful edge, the teenage lust was gone, not only from their sound but from their playing. When Keith Moon died, the Who carried on and were far more competent and reliable musically, but that wasn't what sold rock records.
    The emphasis is mine.

http://drummerworld.com/drummers/Keith_Moon.html

My preference musically has always been the guys who make the whole better, even if they are not the most technically overwhelming. For example, in jazz I love bassist Charlie Haden. He'll never overwhelm you like an NHOP, a Stanley Clarke, a Jaco Pastorius or a Victor Wooten, but everything he plays on is better for his holding the bottom down perfectly.

But there are two sides to the coin, and there is an energy about Moon and the Who that has a certain appeal. Just not what really appeals to me. I tend to like the guys who stand or sit quietly in the corner and just play the s**t out of their instruments.

For me -- it's guys like Gadd or Bozzio, who are on the list, or Colaiuta, who isn't, that top my list.
    edited March 2008
    OldFogey;382668 said:
    In what way?

I think the article in DrummerWorld on Moon is dead on:
    By that I Meant his movements not playing at the moment. He was jumping up and down and making funny faces. Ive never seen a drummer do much more than sit and play (Altough some sing at times)

Yea your right. Although I think he Was the soul of the band (like the drummerworld artical) Without him the new music dident have the momentum and soul of the old records. But In the technical sense he is not the best.
    edited March 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;382721 said:
    By that I Meant his movements not playing at the moment. He was jumping up and down and making funny faces. Ive never seen a drummer do much more than sit and play (Altough some sing at times)
    Got it -- yeah. Moon was extremely entertaining.
  • gusano311gusano311 Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    my add to the list of legendary drummers is will calhoun and that dude from santanna that played with him a ton of years that was at woodstock. of your list i voted for mitch mitchell cause he was insane freeforming behind jimis. crazy jams. PS danny carey from tool great drummer.
    edited March 2008
    gusano311;382834 said:
    my add to the list of legendary drummers is will calhoun and that dude from santanna that played with him a ton of years that was at woodstock. of your list i voted for mitch mitchell cause he was insane freeforming behind jimis. crazy jams. PS danny carey from tool great drummer.
    That was Michael Shrieve. I posted video of his solo on Soul Survivor elsewhere on this forum. Good call.
  • BedBeatsBedBeats Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Hmmmm......the thread says Rock Gods.

So i say...that with out a doubt, its Bonham.

That list IMO, is too random to vote on.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited March 2008
    I voted for Neil Peart, but if I had two choices it would have been Neil Peart and Keith Moon. I must say I am offended, as a fan of Led Zeppelin, that you did not include John Bonham. His drums only made their songs better. "Kashmir" would suck without his drums :)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited March 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;382568 said:
    ...Bohnam, Never found anything to great in his druming but for what he did to Rock drumming is imesurable. Still Moon Was one of his main inspirations
    LOL, ahhhh, thanks for the morning laugh. Moon was Bohnam's main inspiration? They used to fight like cats and dogs arguing over which one was best. I remember an interview with Jason Bohnam where he said his dad and Moon would get drunk together and then start a drum duel in the studio. I wouldn't call him an inspiration as much as a competing but friendly rival.

Of course, Moon did help name Bohnam's new band...
  • twistdairtwistdair Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    What about Mike Portnoy
  • JiggMasterJiggMaster Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    The who wouldn't have worked without all the members, I heard their stuff after moon died, really sucked for me. They gave up their showmanship. To me moon is far more pleasing to me, sure if you like a guy who sits back and lets the other band members do all the show and just says "My huge drum set that I only use about half of will wow them enough." It got old Neil. Got old.
    edited March 2008
    Sayburr;384963 said:
    LOL, ahhhh, thanks for the morning laugh. Moon was Bohnam's main inspiration? They used to fight like cats and dogs arguing over which one was best. I remember an interview with Jason Bohnam where he said his dad and Moon would get drunk together and then start a drum duel in the studio. I wouldn't call him an inspiration as much as a competing but friendly rival.

Of course, Moon did help name Bohnam's new band...
    Never herd that before But I have herd Bohnam being inspired by Moon. Well Moon and The Who went mainstream in 1966. So I say any insane druming after that was partialy inspired by Moon

Anyway I would love to hear a Their drum offs, they really should have recorded them lol.

hahahaha found this funny
    Interveiw With keith moon
    Do you have "favorite" drummers?

Not many. D.J. Fontana (Elvis' original drummer) is one. Let's see . . . the drummers I respect are Eric Delaney and Bob Henrit (from Argent) and . . . I got a 'uge list, really, and all for different reasons. Technically, Joe Morello is perfect. I don't really have a favorite drummer. I have favorite drum pieces, and that's it. I would never put on an LP of a drummer and say everything he did I love, because that's not true.

How'd you start on drums?

Jesus Christ, I think I got a free drum kit in a packet of corn flakes. Ah-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAHA! But no . . . drum solos are ****ing boring. Any kind of solo is. It detracts from the group identity.
    I like that last bit a little
  • asalemiasalemi Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Nice Post , Thanks

I would say my top 3 are
    Moon
    Peart
    Bonham

Anyone mention Tommy Lee, I think hes a really talented drummer
  • KingofQUEEN92KingofQUEEN92 Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    This list is SH*T with out Bonham
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited March 2008
    Is it really any surprise that Keith and Neil are leading this poll? They don't deserve to be, but they have the most exposure of all these drummers and if you throw out the name Peart or Moon people think Rush and The Who, respectively. However, other, better drummers have had less exposure and thus people don't even listen to them to give them a chance. Also, I agree that the OP is insane to not have included Bonham. Unless he figured that Bonham would win out-right and including him would make this thread pointless. My vote goes to: Don Brewer.
    edited March 2008
    TheCrimsonSaint;386076 said:
    Also, I agree that the OP is insane to not have included Bonham. Unless he figured that Bonham would win out-right and including him would make this thread pointless.
    Yeah! Probably. :) I mean the guy's son, Jason Bonham, plays the drums EXACTLY like him. If you ever hear any of the bootlegs from the Zeppelin reunion, the drums (fills and all) on "Kashmir" sound so much like the drums from the recording on "Physical Graffiti". Also, The Jason Bonham Band has a cover of "In The Evening" that isn't half bad.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;385780 said:
    Never herd that before But I have herd Bohnam being inspired by Moon. Well Moon and The Who went mainstream in 1966. So I say any insane druming after that was partialy inspired by Moon

Anyway I would love to hear a Their drum offs, they really should have recorded them lol.

hahahaha found this funny
    Interveiw With keith moon

I like that last bit a little
    Did it ever occur to you that John Bonham was playing drums before the who got famous?
  • WheezyWheezy Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Neil Peart all the way. Moon is good too, but considering he was always jacked up on who knows what each time he performed, I didn't really care for him. ;)
  • k87k87 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Danny Carey from tool is my favorite (he is a living legend)
  • ledfloydledfloyd Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    ill say what i think

neil pert - to much drums behind him he has a huge setup that makes alot for a drummer to do. put that set in front of john bonham or keith moon and youll have the same effect. Dont for get drouble bass drums

Keith moon - good drummer But is yet another drummer with a big set behind him and 2 bass drums. a 2 bass drums makes it easier to kick faster if ya have 2 feet doing it.

John bonham- Very Fast triplets and fast bass pedal work (one bass kick drum). also had a very loud sound and his drum really stick out on led zeppelin tracks i just wish i had more drum tracks.

Good times bad times just listen to the drums

Fool in the rain Drum track only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OVk1VzBCrc

as for rock drummers **** id have them all in my band but if i had to choose i would got with Bonham......

John bonham and keith moon

edited March 2008
    ledfloyd;387916 said:
    ill say what i think

neil pert - to much drums behind him he has a huge setup that makes alot for a drummer to do. put that set in front of john bonham or keith moon and youll have the same effect. Dont for get drouble bass drums

Keith moon - good drummer But is yet another drummer with a big set behind him and 2 bass drums. a 2 bass drums makes it easier to kick faster if ya have 2 feet doing it.

John bonham- Very Fast triplets and fast bass pedal work (one bass kick drum). also had a very loud sound and his drum really stick out on led zeppelin tracks i just wish i had more drum tracks.

I know, this thread is kinda pointless, because there isn't much room for debate. I love all three of those guys equally. Peart's drums make Rush, Moon's drums make The Who, and Bonham's drums make Zeppelin. They all three equally contributed to the uniqueness of their respective bands.

If you want the ultimate Bonham track listen to the studio recording of "Moby Dick" from "Led Zeppelin II", or, the live version of the same song from the movie/soundtrack for "The Song Remains The Same". That has to be his only showcase on drums.
    edited March 2008
    polishdog90;386693 said:
    Did it ever occur to you that John Bonham was playing drums before the who got famous?
    That is right. But, Moon did have an influence on the band. He was at a recording session with Bonham and the guys, listening to them record Zep I and he said that the music they were putting down would "go over like a lead balloon... no, no, more like a lead zeppelin"... Thus, the name of the band was changed from "New Yardbirds" to the punch line of a Keith Moon joke.
    edited March 2008
    I just realized I didn't say who I voted for. Ginger Baker. Unlike Moon who was all over the kit playing Lead Drums, or the shear power of Bonham, or the spead of Peart, Ginger was all about rhythm and complicated patterns.
  • TralfmadorianTralfmadorian Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    I prefer Danny Carey. Moon is the flashy pick, and Peart is ungodly talented, but I enjoy DCs structures and overall tone. He's not one of those who has to have a gigantic kit (Peart) or has to cram insane amounts of notes into small windows (Moon), but he still manages to impress with each of his bands' releases.

This is just the last 2 minutes of "Lateralus", but I love the whole song. It's in 9/8/7 and the drum structure creates a musical spiral, which if you know the content of the song, is intended.

• gusano311gusano311 Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    my vote was will calhoun heres some vid to check him out.