About Death Metal In Rock Band

VanZepplinVanZepplin Unsigned
edited August 2011 in Your Ultimate Setlist
One of the main complaints i see about Death Metal is This game is of thie singing & drumming. I understand the drummers about the double bass peddle thing. About the singing, I know plenty people that have no problem performing the gutteral low & high screams. I think having Death Metal songs would make them want to play the game. It probably would be best to have Death Metal as DLC for one simple fact, if you don't like it you do not have to buy it. But me rest assured that there are plenty people that would. I go thought the forums & check out the polls. I vote for bands,songs,genres that i would like to see in the game. The ones i don't like i really don't vote against because I know there are millione of people that would like to see make it . There isn't one genre in exsistance that is for EVERYONE. NONE. No matter what type of music a person or a groupe of people can produce there will be people that love it with their heart and soul. There will be people that hate it just as much. But one thing holds true, it is all music.
Sorry I started ramblin' off. Back to Death Metal in general...
There is a s**t load of argument over what bands are Death Metal or whatever. Most od the bands mentioned are bands that the "mainstream" are now giving attention to. True Underground Death Metal will hardly be mentioned by the mainstream in the USA. Bande like Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Goatwhore,Dying Fetus, and on and on and on, have videos on Headbangers Ball, but there getting to popular to be ignored. But us people that listen to these bands & many more wouldn't refer to many mentioned in these forums as "Death Metal." But we cannot deny that they are in fact "METAL." Metal is about fast and heavy riffs, pummeling drums and crazy lyrics. So what is the vocals sound different sometimes. It's all about your musical taste buds. Sometimes the Metal is brutal, fast, and outright insane. Sometimes the Metal is just heave and melodic. And not all Metal heads are into just MEtal. There are plenty of us that listen to many many other genres of music, hence the different types of Metal.
DEATH METAL FOR DLC

Comments

  • edited March 2008
    I don't know if you guy's are into the modding scene but soon we'll be able to have whatever music we want in the game!
  • VanZepplinVanZepplin Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    sorry, dont know what the modding scene is
  • edited March 2008
    VanZepplin;400318 said:
    sorry, dont know what the modding scene is
    Putting a mod chip in your system , currently they have figured out how to make custom Guitar hero's and are close to custom RB! Here's a good site if your interested!

    http://www.scorehero.com/

    Also if you go to youtube and type in custom guitar hero it will come up with lot's of video's of custom song's!
  • VanZepplinVanZepplin Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    right on man, thanks
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited March 2008
    Personally, I don't see the appeal, mainly because I don't play guitar/bass in the game. I'm a drummer and a vocalist, and most songs in the genre are just brutal for both (hard to get reliable bass pedal kicks sometimes on the RB controller). I'd rather have something that's more fun to play than simply a punishing challenge (or, in the case of vocals, something that's going to rip my throat out).

    That being said, there seems to be a devoted, albeit small, following for this sort of music here. I'm somewhat of a former metalhead myself, so I understand this relatively well, but it looks like most of the threads discussing the pack are dominated by a number of people you could count on one hand (regardless of the length of the thread), and most of the rest feel like it's not really worth arguing anymore.

    That being said, I know I'll get Blinded By Fear when it comes out, and probably the others just because I'm a hopeless completist. Who knows? I could always be surprised and they turn out to be fun to play (i.e. last week's pack), who knows?
  • VanZepplinVanZepplin Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    i understand the drum pedal breaking. but the it could be made for the vocalists that are capable of doing them. and many are. even in mainstream music they get a little pissed off sometimes and let out a growl or scream. it does seem death metal fits better with Guitar Hero but i think it could be done with Rock Band.
  • edited March 2008
    VanZepplin;400364 said:
    i understand the drum pedal breaking. but the it could be made for the vocalists that are capable of doing them. and many are. even in mainstream music they get a little pissed off sometimes and let out a growl or scream. it does seem death metal fits better with Guitar Hero but i think it could be done with Rock Band.
    Yeah especially if they added a second bass pedal!
  • VanZepplinVanZepplin Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    DUDE!! check this out!!! i went to you tube, typed on Rock Band double bass pedal, this is one of the videos that came up. there was quite a few.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04Xh75wQHg&feature=related
  • SerpentdSerpentd Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    I understand what your saying about the vocals. After listening to this form of music for about 25 years or so (about when it first started to hit the US) this seems to always be the main complaint of the non fan of more extreme type metal, especially Death vocals. For a lot of the Death bands out there I just look at their vocals as another instrument in the band and not necessarily as "A Singer" as compaired to other music.

    I also agree that this music would be difficult to incorporate into our game and not focused towards the masses. But to people like myself and others on this thread, this form of music reaches our soul to a level that no other music can. That might be hard for people to understand but there's just something about this form of music that reaches the root of our souls to the point it will actually relaxe you. At the same time you can have the music get you fired up as well depending on your mood. It either does this for you or it doesn't. Not much of an inbetween really. And for some reason here in the states it much less popular then over seas which is such a dissapointment IMHO.

    Anyway, by no means am I trying to convert people nor diss on their opinions of this music. I do understand others point of views, it's just more difficult for them to understand our point of view really. Sorry for the rambleing folks. I for one would love Death Metal as an optional DLC without hesitation. Deicide being one of my all time favorites with about 500 others right up there with them. Okay, I'll shut up now. My vote for yes on DEATH METAL DLC!!!!!;)
  • edited March 2008
    VanZepplin;400388 said:
    DUDE!! check this out!!! i went to you tube, typed on Rock Band double bass pedal, this is one of the videos that came up. there was quite a few.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04Xh75wQHg&feature=related
    Yeah alot of people are doin it with their RB drum kit with a headphone splitter , the only problem is you can't play foot down as it won't register the other pedal!
  • VanZepplinVanZepplin Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Serpentd;400425 said:
    I understand what your saying about the vocals. After listening to this form of music for about 25 years or so (about when it first started to hit the US) this seems to always be the main complaint of the non fan of more extreme type metal, especially Death vocals. For a lot of the Death bands out there I just look at their vocals as another instrument in the band and not necessarily as "A Singer" as compaired to other music.

    I also agree that this music would be difficult to incorporate into our game and not focused towards the masses. But to people like myself and others on this thread, this form of music reaches our soul to a level that no other music can. That might be hard for people to understand but there's just something about this form of music that reaches the root of our souls to the point it will actually relaxe you. At the same time you can have the music get you fired up as well depending on your mood. It either does this for you or it doesn't. Not much of an inbetween really. And for some reason here in the states it much less popular then over seas which is such a dissapointment IMHO.

    Anyway, by no means am I trying to convert people nor diss on their opinions of this music. I do understand others point of views, it's just more difficult for them to understand our point of view really. Sorry for the rambleing folks. I for one would love Death Metal as an optional DLC without hesitation. Deicide being one of my all time favorites with about 500 others right up there with them. Okay, I'll shut up now. My vote for yes on DEATH METAL DLC!!!!!;)
    Do not be sorry for ramblin! Posts like this is the reason i started this thread. to show people and mainly the game makers that this music means the world to many people, we are probably more passionate about it more than most about our music. Death Metal really is popular in the U.S., its just not promoted or recognized by the big time media companies so they dont tarnish or blemish their rightous images and reputations. XM radio has metal station that play the most hardcore of metal. ya just gotta go find it. the big media companies push certain ideals forcing people with basic cable and a regular radio to become blind to a lot art that is different from the norm.
    you can tell when someone is into the underground death metal. they dont call their vocalist "singers'. like you said man, its just another instument.
    Go to real death metal show and see how many people are there. if i was Harmonix i would see them all as potential customers
  • bounchfxbounchfx Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    PCTraitor;400127 said:
    I think that when the thrash pack sells less than most other DLC packs Harmonix will avoid these hardcore genres.
    and I don't think Harmonix would do that - they know there's an audience for this music, no matter how small or big it is.

    more importantly, they fully understand just how awesome and fun this kinda stuff is to play.
  • edited March 2008
    Oh and another thing i've been following:

    Warwick University researchers have found a link between heavy metal music and intelligence. It seems that children with high IQ’s often feel isolated and seek solace in listening to heavy metal bands like Ozzy Osbourne’s Black Sabbath. One researcher said that talented pupils appreciate hard rock as it’s quite a challenging form. So there we go.

    http://diaryfromengland.blogspot.com/2007/03/link-between-heavy-metal-music.html
  • VanZepplinVanZepplin Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    i wanna thank the people who posted in support of Death Metal and thanks to those who dont support it but respond respectfully. ive been at this puter for a while now making my stand for the type music i love the most. maybe enough of us speak up and some people can except that some music is just different and respect for what it is so we can get some metal for this game. now im out. once again, thank you all

    DEATH METAL FOR DLC
  • ShadowOfEdenShadowOfEden Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    I would definetly buy a death metal, even if it's not from the bands I listen to.

    Check sig! Or if you're too lazy...

    Behemoth
    Children Of Bodom
    In Flames
    Dimmu Borgir
    Skyfire
    Amon Amarth
    Arch Enemy
  • MrZeebubMrZeebub Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    If you don't like it, don't download it. Don't tell me it doesn't belong in the game. I'd buy it. I'd pay 10 bucks for it, just so HMX would keep the metal coming.
  • edited March 2008
    MrZeebub;400584 said:
    If you don't like it, don't download it. Don't tell me it doesn't belong in the game. I'd buy it. I'd pay 10 bucks for it, just so HMX would keep the metal coming.
    I'm with you on that!
  • SerpentdSerpentd Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    MrZeebub;400584 said:
    If you don't like it, don't download it. Don't tell me it doesn't belong in the game. I'd buy it. I'd pay 10 bucks for it, just so HMX would keep the metal coming.
    Same here...without hesitation!!
  • Chief StubbsChief Stubbs Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    I've never been much of a death metal fan; my metal is mostly a mix of thrash, modern, and classic metal. However, I do appreciate death metal, and I would snap up any death metal song, even if it was by someone as creepy as Dying Fetus or Septic Flesh. Of course, I'd take early death metal, like Death, Possessed, or Obituary, or 2nd wave stuff like Living Sacrifice, over absolute sh*tty fusion death like Job For A Cowboy. That being said, I'd also prefer to see more classic thrash that is yet to be included, like Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Exodus, Overkill, Sepultura, and the like, before I see death metal. But that's just me.
  • mike718mike718 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    i support metal.

    i support rock band.

    i support metal in rock band.

    nice thread guys.
  • killerewokkillerewok Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    While I am all for more metal in rock band, some stuff just isn't going to work. Most of the guttural vocals would end up as speak-singing, and as it is that part of the game is hit or miss. The music is supposedly picked by the quality of the parts for all 4 band members. As some has said, it is more GH friendly then it is RB. This kind of music is very popular with the 1% (about 3000 people post here on a regular basis, and over 1 million copies of RB have been sold) of the Rock Band community that posts on forums, but not as much with the general public. Case in point: The Death Album by Dethklok (good time BTW) is the highest ranking death metal album on the Billboard charts ever, debuting at number 21 (give or take, I did read it awhile ago). Nothing else in the genre has even come close. While I think the thrash pack is cool, you shouldn't get your hopes up of it becoming a regular thing. I was surprised that the bands they picked were as obscure as they were. I know they are well known bands to some, but my meatalhead brother has only heard of The Haunted. Look back to some of the metal that made it into RB 1 and 2, and I'd say there is a much better chance of some of those bands (or others like it) making it into Rock Band then the hundreds of other bands that people have mentioned.
  • vengveng HMX Alumni
    edited March 2008
    Keep this up, guys. Death metal has some fans here as well!
  • Chief StubbsChief Stubbs Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    HMXveng;400976 said:
    Keep this up, guys. Death metal has some fans here as well!
    Oh hell yeah!
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited March 2008
    mercuryshadow09;400489 said:
    Oh and another thing i've been following:

    Warwick University researchers have found a link between heavy metal music and intelligence. It seems that children with high IQ’s often feel isolated and seek solace in listening to heavy metal bands like Ozzy Osbourne’s Black Sabbath. One researcher said that talented pupils appreciate hard rock as it’s quite a challenging form. So there we go.

    http://diaryfromengland.blogspot.com/2007/03/link-between-heavy-metal-music.html
    Kinda reminds me of this music appreciation class I took a couple of years ago... we were watching the movie "Amadeus" and, at the end of the film, the instructor asked us what we thought Mozart would be doing if he were alive today. I raised my hand and said he'd be in the back of a tour bus somewhere writing stuff for Dimmu Borgir or Sonata Arctica... got a good smile out of the instructor and a couple of "Hell Yeah!"s from some of the slackers in the back :)
  • RoamHyliaRoamHylia Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Gotta throw some love in for another Metal thread.
    Contrary to popular belief Metal in all it's forms can be extremely soothing. No joke. I believe that the reason for that is that it's got a much more primal feel to it that really reaches down and taps into the deep seated aggresion that builds up in us all and gives it a good outlet.

    I know I always feel better after a Children of Bodom CD. Don't you?
  • VanZepplinVanZepplin Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    more videos for the metal heads to enjoy....

    Vital Remains - Dechristianize
    *this has kinda long intro, but check out the guitar and drum parts. the sounds are metal bliss. when the song breaks, one of the best pieces of metal ive ever heard




    Deicide - "Scars of the Crucifix" Earache Records
    video before the replacement of the Hoffman brothers
    they now have Ralph Santola and Jack Owen of Cannibal Corpse who have brought a whole new sound to this band
    Pick up "The Stench Of Redemption". Its more of a guitar driven album compared to other realeases from the mighty Deicide




    Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face
    arguably the most recognized Corpse song. it the song playing when Ace Ventura goes in the bar.


  • QuaddityQuaddity Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    Entombed - Left Hand Path that's the track I want.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF0dnW-kg_E



  • R33DH4MR33DH4M Banned
    edited March 2008
    I want this one.

    Cyrptopsy - Cold Hate, Warm Blood


  • NasenblutenNasenbluten Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    I as stated on previous post am an extreme metalhead 9 yrs old i had a cut off jean jacket with patches of judas priest, metallica, maiden. now today at 29 i listen to just about it all except pop/punk/r&b/and new hip hop (i keep that old school)

    Death metal is the most talented form of musicianship, it's not all about speed, it about the riffs, grooves and making this chaotic sound form into one brutal song.
    Just because someone growls and scrowls (lol i call em scrowls cos it sounds better) does not mean they aren't talented vocalists, go check out some Hecate enthroned they're Melodic black/death metal but just to get my point across, He can sing and growl.

    It takes alot of talent to stand on stage and growl for over an hour or so. I tell you what I'd be horse after 20 minutes i believe. And that does not mean they cannot sing, they probably just choose not to ;)

    Edit:I would like to see some Hecate enthroned maybe a song like "thy sorrow bequeathed" awesome song
  • edited March 2008
    RoamHylia;401160 said:
    Gotta throw some love in for another Metal thread.
    Contrary to popular belief Metal in all it's forms can be extremely soothing. No joke. I believe that the reason for that is that it's got a much more primal feel to it that really reaches down and taps into the deep seated aggresion that builds up in us all and gives it a good outlet.

    I know I always feel better after a Children of Bodom CD. Don't you?
    Pantera doe's that for me when im feeling like i want to kill people!
Sign In or Register to comment.