The Clash or The Sex Pistols?

viru30viru30 Opening Act
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
Both punk bands rising up from the slums of London, they both had their own unique sound, The Clash being a more experimental and more technical band in terms of music, and The Sex Pistols having a more gritty and raw sound.

Both unique bands in their own respect, although which one do you prefer over the other?

EDIT: Ah. I feel like an idiot. The second option should be The Sex Pistols

Comments

• RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited March 2008
    Voted for The Clash (although the poll gave me a choice of The Clash or an ALBUM by The Clash) ;)

I like The Clash slightly better, but that could only be because they released more than one album and had a variety of songs. Although The Sex Pistols are still the godfathers of Punk rock.
  • XxJAPAN4xXXxJAPAN4xX Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    RockBandRocker;411863 said:
    Voted for The Clash (although the poll gave me a choice of The Clash or an ALBUM by The Clash) ;)

lol yeah..

the clash for the win.
  • PennsylvanianPennsylvanian Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    The Clash. I thought they had better lyrical and musical talent overall. Plus, they didn't try to put on that fake tough-guy look.

And whoever called The Clash sellouts, I'd like to have seen you say that to Joe Strummer when he refused to enter the hospital for treatment until he signed all of his fans' autographs.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited March 2008
    Clash. After Sex Pistols broke up, they pretty much carried the U.K. punk all over the world. Both bands have un-punk strikes agasinst them (Rotten/Lydon getting a job at VH1, Joe Strummer doing a cover of a Bob Marly song with Johnny Cash) but they did define the U.K. Punk.

We need a best U.K. Punk Poll and a Best U.S. punk poll.
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    I think a better battle would be the clash vs the Ramones, UK vs US
    the clash and the ramones have close to the same number of albums and are both almost equaly as influential

Still my vote always goes to the clash for their pure talent musicianship and Rockness
  • leftover_crackleftover_crack Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    the 2 options are the clash and london calling?
  • leftover_crackleftover_crack Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;414232 said:
    I think a better battle would be the clash vs the Ramones, UK vs US
    the clash and the ramones have close to the same number of albums and are both almost equaly as influential

Still my vote always goes to the clash for their pure talent musicianship and Rockness
    the ramones didnt inspire anyone

the clash and the sex pistols influenced almost every punk band
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited March 2008
    leftover_crack;414867 said:

YOU IDIOT! THE RAMONES INSPIRED THE CLASH AND THE SEX PISTOLS!!!!!
  • SteelersFreak1SteelersFreak1 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    I'll take The Clash because their bassist could actually play.
    edited March 2008
    leftover_crack;414867 said:

The Ramones invented punk as we know it. Don't argue. You lose two-hundred punk points. Ian MacKaye will be over in a few days to scan your card and punch you in the temple. Don't run, Mr. MacKaye WILL find you.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2008
    the Clash cuz they were willing to experiment with many different types of music and executed them perfectly
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2008
    Pennsylvanian;415158 said:
    The Ramones invented punk as we know it. Don't argue. You lose two-hundred punk points. Ian MacKaye will be over in a few days to scan your card and punch you in the temple. Don't run, Mr. MacKaye WILL find you.
    I laughed so hard at this. Thank you, Pennsylvanian. :D I'd also like to be the first person to point out that we probably wouldn't have thrash or speed metal without The Ramones. Both Megadeth and Motorhead (Lemmy even did a full cover album consisting solely of Ramones songs) would openly recognize this fact.

Anyways, I can't vote on this poll because I elevate both the Clash and the Sex Pistols up on the same pedestal. While the Pistols only released one 'official' album, we can't forget Johnny's excellent work with PIL.
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, Rune. I heard that cover of R.A.M.O.N.E.S., and I still have nightmares about Lemmy's voice pounding out:

"AH OHEMO ENEE-ES, AH OHEMO ENEE-ES AMONS!"

Also, interesting story: The Sex Pistols once snuck into a Ramones show, but were afraid of getting beaten up by The Ramones and any biker friends they had. The Ramones heard about it later and thought it was hilarious
  • obsoleteshockobsoleteshock Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    The Clash. Easily the Clash. They were arguably the best example of the punk genre, then they completely transcended it.

I would even argue that the release of London Calling was nothing short of the assassination of punk rock. It was a signal that it was time to move some of the philosophies and principles of punk forward and out of the inevitable "genreization" of punk. There was a whole world out there that needed (and still needs) attention, and there was no time to waste on proving ones cred and making sure that every song adhered to the rapidly solidifying punk template.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Pistols by a wide margin. The Clash just aren't very exciting to me, I've never heard anything by them that has made me feel anything either way, and I've heard most of their discography.
    Also, despite what many music critics would have you believe, the Pistols could actually play their asses off.
    Not that the Clash couldn't, of course. But I always found the Pistols to have tons more energy.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    The Clash >>>>>> The Sex Pistols. Bottom line.
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Don't make me choose.. I mean, the Clash are BETTER, and my Armenian pride draws me to Joe Strummer, lol... but Sex Pistols are more about the story of the group than the music itself.
  • edited November 2008
    If we're talking about which is the better band technically then that's The Clash all the way, since they had the advantage of actually being able to play their instruments.

I voted for the Pistols, even though I don't really care for them, simply because they're sloppier and I tend to enjoy that more.

Definitely would have voted for The Buzzcocks or Sham 69 over these two, but different strokes for different folks.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Clash are better musicians and songwriters, but to be honest, none of them died of an OD or were accused of destroying the fabric of society. So if your question is who is a better band, the answer is the clash.

The pistols, however... johnny rotten practically invented the punk "**** you" attitude. props for them being more "punk rock". I will also argue on behalf of Paul and Steve (and Glen) being just as good if not better musicians as anyone in the clash. I might just have to go pistols.

Unfortunately, the poll is:

Which is the better band?
    The Clash
    London Calling

Can't say I've heard of the band London Calling. Do they sound like London Suede?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    i don't really care for either, but i'll go with the clash because they have a few songs i like.
  • tofubottofubot Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    the clash wasn't a punk rock boy band, but at least the pistols signed to a major label to disrupt the establishment from the inside out.

though not only technically better, the clash seemed to have more power to their songs in my eyes. the entire self titled album has way more muscle, but less grit that "never mind..."
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited November 2008
  • NourezNourez Rising Star
    edited November 2008
  • obsoleteshockobsoleteshock Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    tofubot;1551776 said:
    the clash wasn't a punk rock boy band, but at least the pistols signed to a major label to disrupt the establishment from the inside out.

though not only technically better, the clash seemed to have more power to their songs in my eyes. the entire self titled album has way more muscle, but less grit that "never mind..."
    To me, The Sex Pistols never really stand a chance, mainly because they didn't really have a chance to. A huge part of the Sex Pistols lure is the unfulfilled potential of the revolution that wasn't. Who knows what they would have done if they would have been able to go on for five albums. I'm so thankful we actually got to see that with The Clash.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    I think I like the music that the Pistols influenced more than the music the Clash influenced.
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    I say Sex Pistols with the good bass player not the sucky one
  • harveyglobetrotharveyglobetrot Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I'd probably give it to The Clash by a nose. I've really been getting into them lately; The Guns Of Brixton must be my most listened to song of the last couple of weeks. The Pistols are great, and were more influential, but I am just on a big Clash kick at the moment.

If it had of been between PiL and The Clash, PiL and The Sex Pistols, hell, PiL and just about anyone, it would be no contest at all. :D
    HMXHenry;1542983 said:

Definitely would have voted for The Buzzcocks
    Yes, yes, a million times yes! I saw The Buzzcocks live a few years ago and they were unbelievable. Moshing with 40-50 somethings was a unique experience, for sure!
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Soror_YZBL;1543084 said:
    The pistols, however... johnny rotten practically invented the punk "**** you" attitude. props for them being more "punk rock". I will also argue on behalf of Paul and Steve (and Glen) being just as good if not better musicians as anyone in the clash. I might just have to go pistols.
    Pistols may have had the anti-authority attitude, but it was puerile and gimmicky, whereas the Clash actually stood up for the little man, wrote anti-authority songs and wrote generally better songs (even though i don't like the Clash either). Add to which that that's one of the few 'punk' things about the Pistols, bar their managers clothes, and that they made a mockery of the D.I.Y. and down to earth attitudes of Punk.

That said, no a fan of either.
  • warthogdbwarthogdb Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    The Sex Pistols were about the spectacle. The Clash were about the politics. I guess that most people think that both are important parts of punk. Both has domineering managers who kind of pushed them along. Neither really effected the way that music is played. Really both just played largely mid tempo hard rock. People of accuse Elvis of stealing black music, the Clash are more guilty than anyone on that account.

I like Joe Stummer better than Johnny Rotten but I'll take Steve Jones over Mick Jones. Sid was more of an icon than a musician but Paul Simonon smashed his bass on the cover of London Calling which is one of the most iconic images of punk.

The Clash had more better songs over a longer period of time and reflected a broader range of influences like rockabilly so I'll take them.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    HyeJinx1984;1542927 said:
    my Armenian pride draws me to Joe Strummer
    That explains why you like SOAD so much.