Best Grunge era Band?

Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
edited February 2013 in History of Rock
The Battle of the Grunge Bands!

The Melvins
The Melvins are an American experimental sludge metal/grunge band that usually perform as a trio. Singer/guitarist Buzz Osborne (aka "King Buzzo") and drummer Dale Crover are constant members, but the band has been through several bass guitarists. They have occasionally added a guest or second guitarist for live performances. The band was named after a supervisor at the Thriftway in Montesano, Washington where Osborne served as a clerk (and vandal). Melvin was greatly despised, and the band's members felt it to be an appropriately ridiculous name.

The Melvins' music is influenced by Black Flag's My War era punk, slow rock acts like Swans, and, most notably Black Sabbath-style metal; however, their idiosyncratic approach, bizarre sense of humor, and experimentation make neat categorization difficult. They often favor very slow tempos, and their sludgy sound was a strong influence on grunge music, especially Nirvana, Soundgarden, and many other bands from Seattle. Their proteg

Comments

• XxJAPAN4xXXxJAPAN4xX Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    nirvana..

i dont believe i have ever heard a song by them that i didnt really like.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2008
    AIC, no one will ever have a voice like Layne's again and Sean Kinney was an absolutely brilliant drummer with them. They added so much variety to the genre and made it more than just "the 3-chord teenage angst genre."
  • Timber KingTimber King Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    I went with Stone Temple Pilots (STP FTW!). It's just preference. Songs like 'Plush', 'Interstate Love Song', and 'Creep' (not the Radiohead song, although that is also a great song) are just awesome.

Also, no Smashing Pumpkins? I wouldn't necessarilly call them grunge, but they are definitely my favorite 90's band.
  • Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Timber King;414633 said:
    I went with Stone Temple Pilots (STP FTW!). It's just preference. Songs like 'Plush', 'Interstate Love Song', and 'Creep' (not the Radiohead song, although that is also a great song) are just awesome.

Also, no Smashing Pumpkins? I wouldn't necessarilly call them grunge, but they are definitely my favorite 90's band.
    Pumpkins are awesome, but I don't think they qualify for the poll.
  • MrGrievesMrGrieves Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    Voted Nirvana, its the band that first introduce to grunge
    edited March 2008
    MrGrieves;415873 said:
    Voted Nirvana, its the band that first introduce to grunge
    Introduced you to grunge? Because they weren't the first grunge band.
  • MrGrievesMrGrieves Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    I know they weren't the first grunge band, they were the first grunge band that I listened to which intoduced me to the genre
    edited March 2008
    MrGrieves;415892 said:
    I know they weren't the first grunge band, they were the first grunge band that I listened to which intoduced me to the genre
    Gotcha. Wasn't trying to shoot you down or anything, just didn't know what ya meant.
  • YorickYorick Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    It has to be Alice in Chains. Staley had a great voice. I'd love for down in a hole, would, or any other AIC track really, to make it in the game.
  • supersickiesupersickie Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Pearl Jam. Although I love STP, the only other two bands that are worthy of being in this poll are Alice in Chains and Soundgarden.
  • AeroZeppelinSevenfoldAeroZeppelinSevenfold Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Nirvana. they are grunge gods.
  • Highlandlassie1Highlandlassie1 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Stp!!!!!!!!
  • Hastyl3Hastyl3 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Smashing Pumpkins. You can't say the distortion can't be confused with other songs and plus, Gish and Siamese Dream can be considered grunge(Siva, Spaceboy, Hummer, Rhinoceros)
  • lemmyklemmyk Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Where is Smashing Pumpkins on the list?

This was MY ERA! :)

I am almost 33, meaning that during the time these groups were at the top (early - mid 90's) I was in High School and College. I grew listening to all these, but my top 5 are:

1. Smashing Pumpkins
    2. Soundgarden
    3. Nirvana
    4. Pearl Jam
    5. Alice in Chains
  • JiggMasterJiggMaster Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    I voted pearl jam cause I dunno if this mean grunge era or grunge period.
    edited March 2008
    lemmyk;417702 said:

I am almost 33, meaning that during the time these groups were at the top (early - mid 90's) I was in High School and College. I grew listening to all these, but my top 5 are:

1. Smashing Pumpkins
    2. Soundgarden
    3. Nirvana
    4. Pearl Jam
    5. Alice in Chains
    I don't think Smashing Pumpkins qualify as grunge as much as the other bands on the list so I left them off. I needed 9 options and an other.
  • PorcupineinchainsPorcupineinchains Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Alice in Chains, even though they're more Hard Rock than grunge. Nirvana is highly over rated, aside from Grohl that band was pretty devoid of talent. Eddy's vocals turn me off to Pearl Jam, great instrumentals though. Cornell is my 2nd favorite vocalist. STP is just all around solid.
  • LavatoryLoveMachineLavatoryLoveMachine Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    Of course its Pearl Jam. They made the best music, they are still around making amazing music...and they are the more "classic" rock oriented of all the others.
  • JMcQ77JMcQ77 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    If you are talking "grunge era," then my vote is Pearl Jam. However, Pearl Jam is far from "grunge" although they are routinely lumped in with Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Nirvana. I would say Smashing Pumpkins are more "grunge" then Pearl Jam.

As for "grunge" bands, my vote is AIC.

(Remember, grunge roots are in hardcore punk and heavy metal, not just distorted guitars and flannel shirts.)
  • DHarris75DHarris75 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    lemmyk;417702 said:

1. Smashing Pumpkins
    2. Soundgarden
    3. Nirvana
    4. Pearl Jam
    5. Alice in Chains
    Me too. I'm 32...I loved that era. There isn't a band on that list I don't like...and a host of others that aren't on the list. I've always been confused between what was grunge and what was alternative. I was in the AF in OKC in 95 and we always referred to it as alternative - and we played all those bands.

Here's my top 5 grunge/alternative:
    1. Pearl Jam - just love their style...they redid a song from the 60s "Last Kiss" - AWESOME
    2. Smashing Pumpkins - haven't heard a song I didn't like from them
    3. STP
    4. Bush - my first ever concert in OKC w/ No Doubt
    5. Nirvana

Honorable mentions: Everclear, Garbage, Live, No Doubt, Presidents of the USA, Oasis, Greenday, Silverchair, NIN, Hootie, Tool, Deep Blue Something, Rage Against the Machine

Anyway - like I said, I don't know what's grunge and what's alternative - but I like all those bands from the 90s.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    The Gits... Mudhoney... Green River.
  • viru30viru30 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Malfunkshun?
  • The_Little_BusterThe_Little_Buster Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    List lacks Dinosaur Jr
  • TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Pearl Jam all the way.
  • toolberttoolbert Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    I voted for Pearl Jam mainly because they are still one of the best acts still around to come from that era. Their shows still sell out, albums sell really well and they've stayed together through all the junk that's gone on. Eddie's a great lyracist and Stone and Mike are two of the best guitarists around. Pearl Jam all the way baby!
  • LieutenantDan67LieutenantDan67 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    I'm from Seattle, and was still living there through the 90's (moved east in 2003). It was a great time to love music and live in Seattle in the early 90's!

I love most of the groups on that list, but voted for AIC, as I always felt their music embodied the grunge vibe. I know, they aren't 'punkish'...more metal, really. But man...the chords on "Angry Chair" at the beginning are just a WALL of black sound...a very dirty, grungy sound.

Great vox, drums and unique guitar work....and they were compelling.
  • MAXX2667MAXX2667 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Definitely gonna have to go with Nirvana. The Grunge era began and ended by them.
  • Rock_Band_OverRock_Band_Over Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    This poll was asking about Grunge DLC (which probably works as a bias against Nirvana) but here are the results so far, in case anyone is interested:

Most Wanted Grunge Band for future DLC

Basically, AIC, Pearl Jam and Nirvana are 1-2-3 and nothing else is even close.
  • zDisturbedOnezzDisturbedOnez Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    Alice in Chains. They had a style which kept me comming back and purchasing every one of their releases. While each in the poll has songs I like Alice in Chains for me was the best out of all of them.
  • sssrcr85sssrcr85 Opening Act
    edited October 2008
    I chose Silverchair because unlike most grunge bands they evolved and are in my opinion the best active band today. I don't understand why they aren't bigger in the USA.

Alice in Chains and Nirvana would be tied for second.