Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - perfect for Rock Band!

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited January 2013 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Anyone else think Zappa and the Mothers would be fun and still difficult for Rock Band?

Heres my suggestions:
Bobby Brown
http://www.youtube.com/v/w8y0JLPQl94&hl=en

Trouble Every Day
http://www.youtube.com/v/cSiv4gwwqpM&hl=en

Joe's Garage
http://www.youtube.com/v/eJSwEkU_-Lo&hl=en

The Black Page
http://www.youtube.com/v/fvRV9SGSx8U&hl=en

I'm The Slime
http://www.youtube.com/v/exsEEEVpLsI&hl=en

Montana
http://www.youtube.com/v/eJN_uWaVRfo&hl=en

Dancin' Fool
http://www.youtube.com/v/-BkFRaWlCls&hl=en

Catholic Girls
http://www.youtube.com/v/lVPIwTwGz8o&hl=en

Why Does It Hurt When I Pee
http://www.youtube.com/v/GtPviLunCsQ&hl=en

Dirty Love
http://www.youtube.com/v/W6HRAEabk70&hl=en

all these would be fun and challenging to play on Rock Band

comments?

Comments

• a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2008
    plus with Zappa the vocalist would have fun, and be challenged, imagine singing "Crew Slut" or "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama" with a straight face and not laugh and still get the lyrics down

and of course, the insane instruments
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    IMO the best album to release to start off is Over-nite sensation, though the lyrics in Dina-moe humm would be REALLY hard to use
    edited March 2008
    Muffin Man & Peaches En Regalia
    http://www.youtube.com/v/hqLJ2k0bqKQ&hl=en

and then Dweezil Zappa and Ozzy
    Stayin' Alive
    http://www.youtube.com/v/6_D4QhevNPw&hl=en
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Oh God, the amount of money I'd be willing to dish out if I thought it would help get some Zappa in the game. :eek: So much of his stuff would be great. Might be a little hard to break some of it down to the bare essentials of drums, guitar bass and vocals but it would be so worth it!! Good choices in the thread thus far. Some other stuff I think might work for the game

Stinkfoot

City of Tiny Lights

Baby Snakes

Broken Hearts Are For *******s

San Ber'dino

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast/ Father O'Blivion (bit of a stretch but I think it could be done and great googly moogly it would be hard!)

• DethBoxxDethBoxx Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Unequivocally YES!!!!!!
    edited March 2008
    Thought of a couple more

Valley Girl

You Are What You Is

Help I'm A Rock

Dumb All Over

• JordashebasicsJordashebasics Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    While I'm not optomistic enough to think there's a chance of getting Peaches En Regalia or Stevie's Spanking....
    I think that
    My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama
    and
    Dirty Love
    both have a bit more of a shot at being included.
    edited March 2008
    Yea both those are pretty much no brainers I would think. Ultimately it will all come down to what Gail and the ZFT say if HMX comes knocking one day. I don't mind threads like this though. Fun to discuss and hopefully someone from HMX sees it and thinks "Hey that's not a bad idea."

The bonus about Frank's music is that all the masters are in the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen archives. Frank saved everything!
    edited March 2008
    Too bad we can't get his really early stuff from Studio Z. That's just about the only tracks no one has anymore.
    edited March 2008
    a21schizoidman;438489 said:
    Too bad we can't get his really early stuff from Studio Z. That's just about the only tracks no one has anymore.

Yea that does suck. Any idea on how Gail and ZFT is with licensing Frank's music? I wonder if she would be open to something like Rock Band for introducing Frank to new audiences. That and the game seems to inspire so many people to actually play a real instrument. I have to think she'd be open to the idea. As Frank put it..."Music is the best."
  • AbomstarAbomstar Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    I'd love to see some of the earlier Mothers tracks -- Hungry Freaks Daddy, Call Any Vegetable, Who Needs The Peace Corps?, My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama all excellent full band tracks. And what about the instrumental (has vocals too) masterpiece "Inca Roads" from One Size Fits All?

I'm not very optimistic that the Zappa Family Trust would allow any songs to be used, but it's worth a shot.

There's a common counterargument for Zappa being in rhythm games such as "he would've hated video games", but that's actually entirely baseless. Zappa advocated free speech in all aspects of the media, valued creativity, was not overly as overly pretentious about his own music so to label it any more than "just entertainment", and there's actually an old magazine article with Moon Unit where he defends games.

Zappa's always among my most-wanted music to play in Rock Band, and I'm starting to think it may not be as impossible as I once assumed. Even if Zappa masters weren't attainable, do you think there's a better chance at Dweezil rerecording some of his stuff? Dweezil recently did the Zappa Plays Zappa tour where he proved himself a more than adequate musician.

Zappa fans are usually truly fanatical about his legacy, isn't there a resident freak at Harmonix interested in coordinating this?
    edited March 2008
    Abomstar;442279 said:
    I'd love to see some of the earlier Mothers tracks -- Hungry Freaks Daddy, Call Any Vegetable, Who Needs The Peace Corps?, My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama all excellent full band tracks. And what about the instrumental (has vocals too) masterpiece "Inca Roads" from One Size Fits All?

I'm not very optimistic that the Zappa Family Trust would allow any songs to be used, but it's worth a shot.

There's a common counterargument for Zappa being in rhythm games such as "he would've hated video games", but that's actually entirely baseless. Zappa advocated free speech in all aspects of the media, valued creativity, was not overly as overly pretentious about his own music so to label it any more than "just entertainment", and there's actually an old magazine article with Moon Unit where he defends games.

Zappa's always among my most-wanted music to play in Rock Band, and I'm starting to think it may not be as impossible as I once assumed. Even if Zappa masters weren't attainable, do you think there's a better chance at Dweezil rerecording some of his stuff? Dweezil recently did the Zappa Plays Zappa tour where he proved himself a more than adequate musician.

Zappa fans are usually truly fanatical about his legacy, isn't there a resident freak at Harmonix interested in coordinating this?
    Let's hope. And yea I could easily see Dweezil redoing tracks with the ZPZ band if needed. Still holding out for a Toronto show this tour but that's another thread.
  • Toxor_AxiomToxor_Axiom Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Keep in mind that profane/sexual lyrical content (even suggestive) wouldn't be given consideration for this game, period. You can imagine all the whining from parents over "Bobby Brown Goes Down" or "Dirty Love". I'm thinking they'd have a better chance getting away with such songs as "Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance", "Hungry Freaks, Daddy", or even better, "Can't Afford No Shoes". Fun for all instruments involved and no one can bring the hammer down over 'em. ;)

I'd be the first one to suggest "Dirty Love" or "Cosmik Debris" if only people weren't such snobs about the lyrics.

If only instrumentals could've been a part of this game too... what I wouldn't give to play "Black Napkins" or "Zoot Allures" on plastic guitar. :D (Here's looking at you, Neversoft!)
  • edited March 2008
    Won't hold my breath
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2008
    We need some Zappa! How about some of his classical stuff? That would be fun. Just make the vocals the melody of one of the instruments or throw in a singing track ;).
  • ToTheLimitToTheLimit Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    I'd love some Zappa. Here are my votes:

Frank Zappa Pack #1
    1. Why Does it Hurt When I Pee? (That's not too vulgar, is it?)
    2. Valley Girl
    3. Baby Snakes (How fun would it be to watch people try to sing this?)
  • Jagbag2Jagbag2 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Hell yes Zappa! The only problem I can think of are all the additional instruments, making the marimba work for the drums, and the censorship. Nevertheless, I would find these most feasible (as well as awesome):

City of Tiny Lites
    Willie the Pimp
    Stinkfoot
    Call any Vegetable/Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin
    Why does it hurt when I pee?
    Montana

Another problem with Zappa as DLC is the unevenness of instrumental distribution. One song is extremely guitar heavy, another strong on the percussion, another heavy on the vocals (see: Illinois Enema Bandit), but very few are right there in the middle.
  • jalorajalora Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    As others have said, the choice of tracks would be limited due to censorship. That said, a three-pack would be superb. I would suggest:

1. Joe's Garage from Joe's Garage - Just a solid pop song. They could use the single edit from the greatest hits comp (shorter and no dialog bits). Also fits the "Rock Band" theme perfectly.

2. Inca Roads from One Size Fits All - Just crazy drums and vocals, with a nice laid-back guitar solo. At nearly nine minutes, you'd be getting your money's worth.

3. I'm The Slime from Overnite Sensation - Lots of great drum rolls, and one of the best (albeit much too short) guitar solos he ever did. Rock Band has lots of high pitched vocals, and this would be nice for all the bass singers out there.
    edited April 2008
    ++Inca Roads and I'm the Slime.

I'd like to advocate the entire Over-Nite Sensation, come to think of it.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited April 2008
    This game definitely needs Frank Zappa. Titties & Beer would be fun, in addition to all the great ones that have already been said.

Hungry Freaks, Daddy would definitely be awesome, too. Hell, my username's taken from that song, haha.
    edited May 2008
    Hungryfreak;567146 said:
    This game definitely needs Frank Zappa. Titties & Beer would be fun, in addition to all the great ones that have already been said.

Hungry Freaks, Daddy would definitely be awesome, too. Hell, my username's taken from that song, haha.
    yeah, and thats a sweet username
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited May 2008
    I'm skeptical of the chances, but Zappa kicks a million asses and if we could get the rights, it'd be amazing.

Throw in my vote for Willie the Pimp.
    edited July 2008
    I'm bringing this back from the dead.

I would also definitely support Don't Eat the Yellow Snow/Nanook Rubs It(both together, not the single version). Even if guitar isn't exactly consistent, it has awesome enough guitar work to make up for that. The drumming would definitely be fun and same with the vocals. Engineering a scenario where I had to yell "Great googly moogly!" to pass a song would be absolutely ingenious, haha.
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Well we got steely dan, a band no one has probably ever ehard of before, but have amazing instrumentations, so maybe we'll have a chance for zappa.

Also is there anyway to fix the vids?
    edited July 2008
    NX013;901076 said:
    Well we got steely dan, a band no one has probably ever ehard of before, but have amazing instrumentations, so maybe we'll have a chance for zappa.

Also is there anyway to fix the vids?
    fixed, and im pretty sure the only ones who dont know steely dan are kids
    edited July 2008
    I know Steely Dan and I also know what a steely dan is, haha.
  • owenneilowenneil Unsigned
    edited September 2008
    My friend loves Zappa, he would go crazy with joy if they added some to Rock Band.
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Joe's Garage
    Don't Eat the Yellow Snow/Nanook Rubs It
    Hungry Freaks, Daddy
    edited September 2008
    Montana
    Montana
    Montana
    Holy ****, Montana.

It will never happen, but it's just a wishlist.
  • MaberMKMaberMK Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Apostrophe, the whole album.

Fantastic guitar riffs, great bass lines, wicked drum parts, and hilarious (and still PG-13) lyrics; all around a fun full-band experience. It would be a great full-album release for Rock Band. Sadly, it's hard to say if masters still exist since it's so old....

I'd crap my pants with joy if Rock Band got Frank Zappa.