The 50 Greatest Bands! (With my Comentary)

Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
edited April 2008 in History of Rock
6 years old, but I can make a topic:

THE 50 GREATEST BANDS OF ALL TIME

1. THE BEATLES-Amen. The Best.
2. RAMONES-Too high, but they do belong
3. LED ZEPPELIN-Good Spot for them
4. BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS-Not really a band, so kick him off
5. NIRVANA-Mabye about 10 or so would be better
6. PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC-Belong, but too high
7. THE CLASH-Fine where they are
8. PUBLIC ENEMY-I don't know if Rap groups should count, but if they do, they should be lower.
9. THE ROLLING STONES-A bit too low, but I'm fine with it.
10. BEASTIE BOYS-Way too high
11. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND-Fine where they are
12. SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE-Fine Where They are
13. U2-Overrated. A Bit Lower
14. RUN-D.M.C.-Fine
15. RADIOHEAD-Mabye a bit higher, but this is fine
16. THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE-Needs To be Higher!
17. SONIC YOUTH-A bit lower
18. AC/DC-The first Hair Band. 'Nuff said.
19. THE STOOGES-They pretty much invented Punk, so make them higher
20. METALLICA-This works for Me!
21. THE SMITHS-1st Emo Band. 'Nuff Said
22. PATTI SMITH GROUP-See Marly
23. N.W.A.-Well, memebers are succesful, but as a group, not so much.Lower.
24. KRAFTWERK-Important, but overrated. Kick Them Off
25. THE SEX PISTOLS-See above
26. PEARL JAM-Fine
27. GRATEFUL DEAD-Lower
28. R.E.M.-Lower
29. BLACK SABBATH-They need to be in the top 10
30. PAVEMENT-Fine
31. FUGAZI-A bit higher
32. KISS-Lower or kick them off.
33. PRETENDERS-1st New Wave Band. 'Nuff said
34. RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE-Fine
35. FELA KUTI & AFRIKA 70/EGYPT 80- Who?
36. DAVID BOWIE AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS-Not Really a band, so kick them off
37. BLONDIE-A bit lower
38. BAD BRAINS-Kick Them off (Nothing against them, there just are better bands)
39. THE WHO-HAHAHAHAHAHA! THAT'S A GOOD ONE!
40. GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE-Only Rappers in Rock Hall. Higher.
41. NEW ORDER-Sure
42. HUSKER DU-Mabye higher
43. GUNS N' ROSES-Don't belong, they were great, then Axl Tom Sholtz'd them.
44. OUTKAST-They were popular when the list was made, but now they shouldn't be here.
45. THE BEACH BOYS-Much Higher. Pet Sounds may be overated, but they deserve better.
46. MASSIVE ATTACK-Kick them off.
47. LYNYRD SKYNYRD-Fine,
48. KORN-Replace with Pantera or Tool
49. PINK FLOYD-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! THAT'S THE BEST JOKE EVER!
50. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS-I guesss this is alright.

Let BluEyes b###hing commence.

Comments

• IslandBoy91IslandBoy91 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Where is this list from??
    And WTF is The Who doing at 39?? They belong in the top 10. Kick public enemy out, then give Bob Marley their spot (until I can work something better out) and Put The Who at #4.
    Edit: And Switch Led Zeppelin and the Ramones. Then switch the Ramones with The Who.
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Im too tired you know my usual reasons. but #39 who made the list. they were obviously on some kind of mind altering drug/alcohol. Although I do love the Clashes place

Ill settle for Who at #4 but i realy dont feel like arguing now
  • Ace BlackAce Black Unsigned
    edited March 2008
  • RobInCTRobInCT Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    1.The Beatles
    2. Rolling Stones
    3.The Doors
    4. Pink Floyd
    5. Led Zeppelin
    6. Jimi hendrix and the Jimi Hendrix Experience
    7. The Byrds
    8. The Ramones
    9. Lynard Skynard
    10. The Eagles
    11. Who
    12. Aerosmith
    13. Van Halen
    14. Queen
    15. Guns N Roses
    15. Oasis
    17. REM
  • SteelersFreak1SteelersFreak1 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    The lack of Rush makes me upset. Iron Maiden, one of the most innovative metal bands is also not there.
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Seeing as how there is no prog or Queen, I can asure you Rolling Stone magazine made this list.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;419238 said:

49. PINK FLOYD-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! THAT'S THE BEST JOKE EVER!
    How so?

• AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;419238 said:
    18. AC/DC-The first Hair Band. 'Nuff said.

WTF?! AC/DC Glam/hair metal? I think you need to do some research on what exactly glam/hair metal is.
  • Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    This is exactly why I claim the beatles are overrated. They were a great band, but almost everyone puts them #1.

Anyway, this list is a joke.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited March 2008
    AxlVanHagar;421285 said:
    WTF?! AC/DC Glam/hair metal? I think you need to do some research on what exactly glam/hair metal is.
    AC/DC were esentially Hair Metal. All their songs were about chasing babes and/or rocking out.
    edited March 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;422156 said:
    AC/DC were esentially Hair Metal. All their songs were about chasing babes and/or rocking out.
    Ummm...no. By no means am I an AC/DC nutswinger but they were/are in no way shape or form at all similair to hair metal. Not even close. Hanoi Rocks, Poison, Warrant, Winger, Cinderella, Ratt etc were glam or hair metal.

AC/DC falls under the Hard Rock/Metal category. One could argue blues based hard rock not unlike Aerosmith or Led Zep. But hair metal? Nope they didn't have the sound nor the image of it. In fact they got rid of their original frontman because they felt he was to influenced by glam rock.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited March 2008
    AxlVanHagar;422232 said:
    Ummm...no. By no means am I an AC/DC nutswinger but they were/are in no way shape or form at all similair to hair metal. Not even close. Hanoi Rocks, Poison, Warrant, Winger, Cinderella, Ratt etc were glam or hair metal.

AC/DC falls under the Hard Rock/Metal category. One could argue blues based hard rock not unlike Aerosmith or Led Zep. But hair metal? Nope they didn't have the sound nor the image of it. In fact they got rid of their original frontman because they felt he was to influenced by glam rock.
    But still, AC/DC were a huge influence on every hair band.

Ok, mabye you're right. Van Halen were the first hair band.
    edited March 2008
    Certainly some bands took some of the foundations laid out by AC/DC, I'll give ya that one.;)

The first true hair metal band was Hanoi Rocks though. They took what David Bowie did mixed in with the New York Dolls and bingo! Hair or Glam Metal was born.

Here's their first single from 1981 I Want You

sorry for the thread jack folks, this topic of discussion could be a whole other thread :o
  • gorillawarfaregorillawarfare Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    The Who and Pink Floyd are worse than ACDC?
    ACDC had one song and released it a billion times in different keys with a different lyric.

Rush?

I don't really like Van Halen but I think they should be somewhere on that list.

Queen?

If this was Rolling stone it really hurts their credibility
  • Chief StubbsChief Stubbs Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    I hate this list. And I'm surprised anyone would put Korn on a top 50 bands of all time list, and I say that as a Korn fan. But I generally choose to stay away from top whatever-number music-related topics lists. I had a falling out after top songs of the 80's or something like that.
  • jj0816jj0816 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    SteelersFreak1;419496 said:
    The lack of Rush makes me upset. Iron Maiden, one of the most innovative metal bands is also not there.
    Thank you for mentioning Rush, perhaps the greatest band ever?!!?
  • l-o-tl-o-t Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Nobody's pointed out the lack of Aerosmith, quite possibly the greatest American Band out there. Don't flame me for that. If my opinion is different from yours, don't rip my head off for it. But seriously, how many other bands are getting an entire game devoted to them! Guitar Hero Aerosmith! woot! yeah... they should be up there too.
  • KingofQUEEN92KingofQUEEN92 Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    Rolling Stone has always hated Queen so id say they made this cause there not even on the list. Hello people! 300 Million albums world wide i dont think you sell that many albums by being bad lol.
    edited March 2008
    KingofQUEEN92;434382 said:
    Rolling Stone has always hated Queen so id say they made this cause there not even on the list. Hello people! 300 Million albums world wide i dont think you sell that many albums by being bad lol.
    album sales don't mean anything britney spears albums sell more than the velvet underground (Only sold about 1000 copies of their debue in the first year) but which is better and more influential?
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, if this is from Rolling Stone, that would explain the lack of Iron Maiden, Rush, and Queen. Rolling Stone is largely a joke, and they never like anything out of the mainstream. Why Aerosmith isn't on this list though, if it really is Rolling Stone, is beyond me.
  • JiggMasterJiggMaster Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    TheCrimsonSaint;435394 said:
    Yeah, if this is from Rolling Stone, that would explain the lack of Iron Maiden, Rush, and Queen. Rolling Stone is largely a joke, and they never like anything out of the mainstream. Why Aerosmith isn't on this list though, if it really is Rolling Stone, is beyond me.
    Rolling stone doesn't know what they like.

I like that they place sly and funkadelic so high up but the rest of it is really wacky.
    edited March 2008
    Ok but still Queen was hugely influential and had one of the greatest singers of all time and the 39th best guitarist of all time(rolling stone) not to mention the only band in the song writers hall of fame..
  • PennsylvanianPennsylvanian Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Queen was all studio-enhanced. Have you heard them live? It sounds like a trainwreck.
  • JiggMasterJiggMaster Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    I did, it ruled like nothing else. Dragonforce is studio enhanced. Queen is pure.
    edited March 2008
    AHAHAHAHAHA OMG UR KIDDING RIGHT? They were voted one of the best live bads Ever hahah ****** omg ever heard of live aid 1985? omg pathetic!
    edited March 2008
    KingofQUEEN92;436554 said:
    AHAHAHAHAHA OMG UR KIDDING RIGHT? They were voted one of the best live bads Ever hahah ****** omg ever heard of live aid 1985? omg pathetic!
    Yea my dad said the best concert he ever saw was a Queen concert. He said it was very entertaining and the put on an amazing show. Although unlukly he had to wait outside a Who concert with keith moon that might have topped it lol. Damn I wish I was born in 1960
  • PennsylvanianPennsylvanian Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    KingofQUEEN92;436554 said:
    You ever heard of dyslexia? I can barely read what you posted. Anyhow, Queen required a lot of electricity and synthesizers, which was fine for huge gigs. When it was their average live concert where they couldn't synthesize a lot of the stuff like Freddy's voice, it sounded like garbage. Either that or the live albums my friend gave me were really early stuff. Find a random live bootleg, and you'll notice really bad tempo drops, and Freddy will go far out of key for quite some time. I'm not denying that they made good music (I've enjoyed a lot of their albums), but if a band can't perform to their top without sound-altering synthesizers, they're at a loss to others.
    edited March 2008
    how can u not understand what im saying? lol dude ur on crack and i will not listen to anything you are saying because for one reason only. You have no idea what ur talking about cause u dont even know how to spell FreddIE right. so obviously u dont know what ur saying :)
    edited March 2008
    So,where are the synthesizer's ?......

• leftover_crackleftover_crack Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    the ramones suck

they do not deserve to be number 2

or even on a top 50 list