Rock Blog Thursday 08/30/07

edited September 2007 in Announcements
This will be brief - I have LoveBucket (or whatever we are going to be called) practice in 20 minutes. And since I finally have my voice back this should prove fun!

A couple threads today made me wonder if any of you have plans to make a stage at your house to occasionally play this game on? I don't have a lot of equipment or space but I think I want to get enough of a little stage and maybe some cheap colored lights to make parties ten times more awesome.

QA reviews your bugs from the test they gave out.

Comments

• Emo_ReaperEmo_Reaper Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Oo,practice sounds fun,what other names are you thinking? And,I ahvnt thouhgt of that until you brought it up.Im sure Ill make somethin
  • PinkFloydPinkFloyd Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    hmxsean;49932 said:
    This will be brief - I have LoveBucket (or whatever we are going to be called) practice in 20 minutes. And since I finally have my voice back this should prove fun!

A couple threads today made me wonder if any of you have plans to make a stage at your house to occasionally play this game on? I don't have a lot of equipment or space but I think I want to get enough of a little stage and maybe some cheap colored lights to make parties ten times more awesome.

QA reviews your bugs from the test they gave out.
    I wasn't planning on that untill now actually :D Well, maybe not a stage, but def some of those cheap lights that react to music! It'll be all kinds of awesome!
  • DShizzle1029DShizzle1029 Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    Theres this new combat area/LAN center that opened up here in Orlando recently, and it might have battle of the bands when Rock Band comes out.
  • PsycoCheerioPsycoCheerio Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    I'm thinking of taking one of the two beds in my room and doing something with it..because my room is tiny and in order for RB to work I'd have to get rid of a bed or make them bunk beds...

But lights are happening...I'm still working on a better sound system...

I've been trying to get a sweet explosive firework thing going, but my parents keep shooting that one down...
  • ocfanmanocfanman Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    sounds fun

Im probaly gonna get some cheap crates to jump around on and a strobe light or some other light gizmo
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    I could put some nice lights in my common area, that would be pretty sweet.
  • travmeatwadtravmeatwad Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I've got nothing.. I don't even have space for RB yet.. I will when I move and the basement gets done. I'm moving before RB comes out, though.. but I don't know how long for the basement after we move.
  • edited August 2007
    Definitely buying some lights the release.

As for a stage, i was thinking about renting something from an events place, maybe a cool sound system and a projector too, have an awesome set up in the backyard for 1 night.

It's gonna be summer down in Aust when i get the game so it should be pretty sweet!
  • mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    If ONLY I had the space... I'll barely be able to fit all of the instruments in the living room much less a stage... ::sigh:: That would definitely make parties 10 times more awesome!
  • Pdj7969Pdj7969 Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    Its funny you should ask. My buddies and I are in the process of converting their game room into a "stage". I work for an exhibitor company and have a lot of "extra" truss laying around, so we are going to create truss-work to suspend several "extra" show lights we have. You know the kind....need a computer to program the effects, that sort of thing. We are also investing in 2 fog machines and a disco ball to complete the effect. When all's said and done, we look to be freaking out the neighborhood with rolling fog, amplified music, and crazy-ass light effects. Wicked RAWK will be had!!!!
  • borgasmborgasm Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    I'm renting so have no plans to make a stage of any kind (unfortunately :( ) however I think it'd be really cool if following the release of Rock Band Harmonix held a fairly publicized contest to see who could mod their house/living room/basement the best for rocking out. Maybe the contest would require 2 pictures... 1 with lots of light to see exactly what they have, and another of them rocking out with the lights a little dimmer and the fog and lighting effects in full swing.

I'd love to be able to see some of these mods in people's houses and I'm sure others would too. Maybe the winner would get a tour of the harmonix studio, a night out with the team, and some wicked limited edition instruments (signed of course).

It could work!
  • edited August 2007
    borgasm;50380 said:
    I'm renting so have no plans to make a stage of any kind (unfortunately :( ) however I think it'd be really cool if following the release of Rock Band Harmonix held a fairly publicized contest to see who could mod their house/living room/basement the best for rocking out. Maybe the contest would require 2 pictures... 1 with lots of light to see exactly what they have, and another of them rocking out with the lights a little dimmer and the fog and lighting effects in full swing.

I'd love to be able to see some of these mods in people's houses and I'm sure others would too. Maybe the winner would get a tour of the harmonix studio, a night out with the team, and some wicked limited edition instruments (signed of course).

It could work!
    That is a really good idea!
  • gates_apcogates_apco Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    Our basement is already set up for playing music, as my husband is in a band. But we are rearranging it for when the game comes out. We will have some sort of performance space. I hope it's a stage but we haven't decided yet.
  • tf5_bassisttf5_bassist Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    I'm also renting, and my wife is tired of GH2/RB already as it is, so no luck on making a stage... However, my real band practices in a large room of our guitarist's dad's warehouse, and they have a lounge pad downstairs, so maybe they'll do something there.

for the house so far though, i'll be lucky to just have the game. :)
  • NestryNestry Unsigned
    edited September 2007
    that stage idea sounds amazing. my family just recently gutted and revamped an old barn. the upstairs is one big flat room, it would be perfect for it. PLUS that was already supposed to be a game room, so it shouldnt take much convincing to put some more fun stuff in there for RB!
  • edited September 2007
    What was the blog about? I'm lost...
  • AkaymayAkaymay Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    SoraRikuVGM;51234 said:
    What was the blog about? I'm lost...
    Well, Sean's was about how he wants to make a stage in his own house for Rock Band, to show off at parties.

QualityControl's was about how people report glitches and bugs in Rock Band, and how people sometimes report the same glitch more than once, and he gets mad at them.
  • edited September 2007
    hmxsean;50382 said:
    That is a really good idea!
    That's what i thought to, until i thought about it more. It would make it the worst kind of competition ever. The person with the most money who can do the coolest things wins.

It has to be about creativity. Using limited resouces to come up with the best setup. Maybe some cardboard box couches? "homemade smoke machine" (ie, fire) torches with celophane hanging from ceiling fans... that kinda stuff.
  • edited September 2007
    sa_nick;51412 said:
    That's what i thought to, until i thought about it more. It would make it the worst kind of competition ever. The person with the most money who can do the coolest things wins.

I don't know about that. I'm very very much into people making rad equipment out of things they already have around the house. I would definitely vote for ingenuity over sheer grandeur.
  • edited September 2007
    hmxsean;51555 said:
    I don't know about that. I'm very very much into people making rad equipment out of things they already have around the house. I would definitely vote for ingenuity over sheer grandeur.
    Awesome!

Dammit, i need to type more words again...
  • TipsyMonkeyTipsyMonkey Unsigned
    edited September 2007
    Hehe I have already thought about this. A friend of mine has some strobe lights so I may ask him to come round with it, failing that we'll get someone to keep flickering the lights. :D

Other items on my checklist include lasers, bubble machine/smoke machine and pole dancers though the chances of getting these items are pretty slim. ;)
  • chillzatlchillzatl Road Warrior
    edited September 2007
    Pdj7969;50348 said:
    Its funny you should ask. My buddies and I are in the process of converting their game room into a "stage". I work for an exhibitor company and have a lot of "extra" truss laying around, so we are going to create truss-work to suspend several "extra" show lights we have. You know the kind....need a computer to program the effects, that sort of thing. We are also investing in 2 fog machines and a disco ball to complete the effect. When all's said and done, we look to be freaking out the neighborhood with rolling fog, amplified music, and crazy-ass light effects. Wicked RAWK will be had!!!!
    Years ago some friends and I made a box to strobe three sets of colored flood lights to the beat of the music. It basically worked like a crossover and you could tune each of the three frequency sets. Bass was red, mids were yellow, highs were blue. It worked really well for our parties and was ridiculously cheap to put together. If I had the link I'd share it but i'm sure you could find it if you searched around a bit. Much cheaper than a computer based controller and you'd be surprised at how well it worked once tuned.
  • crunchyoverseascrunchyoverseas Opening Act
    edited September 2007
  • Pdj7969Pdj7969 Opening Act
    edited September 2007
    chillzatl;54299 said:
    Years ago some friends and I made a box to strobe three sets of colored flood lights to the beat of the music. It basically worked like a crossover and you could tune each of the three frequency sets. Bass was red, mids were yellow, highs were blue. It worked really well for our parties and was ridiculously cheap to put together. If I had the link I'd share it but i'm sure you could find it if you searched around a bit. Much cheaper than a computer based controller and you'd be surprised at how well it worked once tuned.
    While I do appreciate the idea, I need to reiterate that the computer-based lighting system won't cost a thing because, working for an exhibition company like I do, I have access to all the extras that don't get used...hence we have a lighting system that is collecting dust instead of being used....so what better way to make use of it than a mock stage setting.
  • TheWolf619TheWolf619 Opening Act
    edited September 2007
    I'll need a bigger house before thinking of making a stage. :p
  • no_direction_homeno_direction_home Opening Act
    edited September 2007
    yes i got metioned i feel so proud
  • MrMet2087MrMet2087 Road Warrior
    edited September 2007
    sorry trying to bump away a post accidently posted here