Sum 41- A Showcase of Our Generation's Greatest Punk Rock

RyuzakiRyuzaki Road Warrior
edited July 2012 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Special Notice: After a year or so of controversy and dispute, I’ve finally decided to give in and change the thread’s title. I have always figured that the message of Punk was to do your own thing and not change yourself to fit the public opinion… This is the main reason why I’ve been so adamant about not changing the thread’s title for anything.

However, I’ve come to realize that the people I was trying to uphold this message against are, well, the sorts of people that will storm a thread and make a big deal out of somebody “mislabeling” a band as punk. Somebody who is going to be offended because you do not agree with their musical technicalities isn’t somebody who I need to even worry about.

And so, I have changed the thread’s title not to please people, but to help divert arguments about Punk away from the thread.

With that, I would like to thank everybody else for their support, consideration, and acceptance. If anything, the changes to this thread are for you.

(Well, turns out I can't change the thread's title like I thought I could while writing this. The title that I now want is, "Sum 41- The Pop-Punk Rock Band Needs." I'll ask post here for a moderator to change it, however. Ah well..)

What's Sum 41?
Sum 41 is an award-winning Canadian band that stormed into the Pop Punk scene and is still holding strong. Since their origin in 1996, Sum 41 has released four studio albums, been certified platinum, and extensively toured the globe (often performing more than 300 times a year!) While Sum 41 is often referred to as a Pop Punk band, they are renown for their diverse range of styles and influences, and their music covers a wide spectrum of genres, including Punk, Trash Metal, and Alternative Rock.

This thread is dedicated to the adding of even more Sum 41 into Rock Band, especially after In Too Deep was featured in Lego: Rock Band. All in all, this band offers a terrific amount of talent that could be used as an incredible addition to Rock Band through DLC or even on-disc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Killer No Filler
Released: May 8, 2001
Length: 32:13
Producer: Jerry Finn
Features 13 Songs
All Killer No Filler Cover Art

All Killer No Filler is Sum 41’s first full-length album released and is, by my own guessing, probably their most successful. Of all their albums, this is probably their most pop-punkish, showcasing particularly entertaining drumming and vocals. The album also benefited from the large success of Fat Lip and In Too Deep.

Preferred song choices for Rock Band:
Nothing on my Back (Probably has one of the greatest potential drum charts I have ever heard)
Fat Lip (Their biggest hit, and something that I feel a majority of people would love to play)
Motivation
Summer
All She’s Got
In Too Deep (Already in Lego: Rock Band! Woo!)

Does This Look Infected?
Released: November 26, 2002
Length: 31:14
Producer: Greig Nori
Features 12 Songs
Does This Look Infected? Cover Art

Coming in at about the same length and with about the same songs as All Killer No Filler, Sum 41’s second album definitely carries the same feel. However, the album did turn out to feel more heavy and alternative than their debut, and even gave hints to Sum 41’s upcoming metal styles, especially with the hit song, Still Waiting.

The Hell Song (My favorite Sum 41 song by far, this has one of the most memorable guitar riffs that I have ever heard)
Over My Head
Still Waiting (Sum 41 shows off their exemplary metal capabilities with this, and it’s easy to see why it has become so widely liked)
All Messed Up
Thanks for Nothing

Chuck
Released: October 12, 2004
Length: 37:59
Producer: Greig Nori
Features 14 Songs
Chuck Cover Art

Chuck is a fairly odd, but often preferred turn in Sum 41’s musical style. For a band that was almost entirely Pop Punk and Alternative, Chuck has a very heavy and thoroughly metal feel. The solos are furious, the tone is intense, and the lyrics are ominous. It has been said that if it wasn’t for Deryck’s vocals, songs such as The Bitter End could even be mistaken for something written by Metallica. If you plan to listen through this album for the first time, expect something different, but expect something very well done.

No Reason
We’re All to Blame (Has drilling thrash followed by acoustic harmony, giving off a very different but great feel)
The Bitter End (As mentioned before, this song speeds through pulsing riffs and solos that you just wouldn’t expect from Sum 41)
Open Your Eyes
88 (This song features one of the sickest guitar solos I have ever heard. Listen for yourself!)

Underclass Hero
Released: July 23, 2007
Length: 51:49
Producer: Deryck Whibley
Features 15 Songs
Underclass Hero Cover Art

I’ll be blunt here: I really don’t like this album. It may have just been the lost of the band’s outstanding lead guitarist that turned it off for me, but I’m just no fan of it. However, what this means is that I can’t write a decent description of the album. If somebody who actually enjoyed Underclass Hero could write something up for me, that’d be great. But until then, this will have to do.

Underclass Hero
Walking Disaster
March of the Dogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates and Conclusion

Embed Youtube or Playlist links into each of the “preferred song choices.”
Add a proper album description for Underclass Hero
Fancy formatting and colors

Thanks for reading this thread! I hope that it encourages both the forum users to support adding Sum 41 to Rock Band, and also the forum administrators to implement Sum 41 into Rock Band. I would also like to reinforce the point that I do not want arguing on this thread. If you do not like Sum 41, don’t think they are pop punk, do not like the thread title, or whatever, then please keep it to yourself. I know that everybody has their own opinion—and believe me when I say that I respect that—but complaining usually leads thread-derailing arguments. The point of this thread is to support the addition of Sum 41 as DLC, and not to complain about how much you dislike the band or genre.

As a final note, I want to gives thanks to everybody who has supported this thread so far. Whether it’s just a suggestion or expression of how much you like the band, it’s those posts that keep this thread going. Again, thank you.

Comments

• oberlinoberlin Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Ryuzaki;426223 said:
    ^^; I agree that Still Waiting is pretty damn good, but the singer shouts a bit too much for it to work in Rock Band, in my opinion. I'll throw it into the "Other Songs" part, though.
    Guitar part compensates for it greatly, and like vocals stop them from choosing songs. *cough* Thrash Pack *cough*
  • RyuzakiRyuzaki Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Rock_Band_Over;426225 said:
    Nice, organized thread!

I would recommend "Fat Lip" and "Underclass Hero" although the two songs sound similar... and again, that one Male Create-a-Character face (you know which one I mean haha) in Rock Band looks so much like Deryck anyway, Sum 41 should really be in the game!
    Thanks!

I never really liked Underclass Hero, but I'll throw it in the Other Songs? section as well.

Oberlin: Haven't gotten to listening to any of the Thrash Pack yet. o_o But if what you say is true, and other people tend to want Still Waiting added in as well, then I'll gladly add it in as one of the main "ADD THIS PLZ" songs. ^^

Give me a few minutes to make my next reply, though; Adding in a series of Youtube links.
    edited March 2008
    ^^; Alright, it's been six days, so I'm guessing that double-posting to bring this back to the top won't be looked down on too much?
  • ZortheConquerorZortheConqueror Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    I'm so glad sum-41 isn't the best punk has to offer, because if it was, punk would be an absolutely terrible genre.

That said, I wouldn't mind Sum-41 in the game, their songs would probably be pretty fun, but as a person who's listened to punk most his life the thread title offends me.

I'm really not trying to be mean here. Honest.
  • ftmsanchezftmsanchez Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    ZortheConqueror;454840 said:
    I'm so glad sum-41 isn't the best punk has to offer, because if it was, punk would be an absolutely terrible genre.

That said, I wouldn't mind Sum-41 in the game, their songs would probably be pretty fun, but as a person who's listened to punk most his life the thread title offends me.

Let's just hope he's 10 so the title may be a tad bit accurate in his eyes? Cuz theoretically bands like The Ramones aren't "of this generation" anymore.

Regarding Sum 41, I'd enjoy the songs in the game, especially most of the songs from All Killer, No Filler. Makes No Difference would be an amazing choice, also.

If I could pick Sum 41 songs for RB, I'd put Makes No Difference (so ****ing great, especially vocals), Summer, and Fat Lip. Now granted, All Killer is their most recent album I listened to besides the singles, but those would be the 3 songs I pick.
    edited March 2008
    ZortheConqueror;454840 said:

^^; Understood, no offense taken. I understand that there are a number of better punk rock bands out there, but I was focusing on "modern punk" when I said "our generation", and along with the fact that alot of Sum 41's songs are alternative rock, along with some hard and light.
    Let's just hope he's 10 so the title may be a tad bit accurate in his eyes?
    Something like this, though, is offending to me, as he's basically saying that his taste of music is better than mine. ^^ But, it's too petty of an insult to bother me, and so I won't bother to talk about it, besides this.
  • LeftyLefty Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Im a HUGE Sum 41 fan. Some songs that I would love to have on Rock Band are:

Mr. Amsterdam
    Still Waiting
    Fat Lip
    We're All To Blame
    Motivation
    No Reason
    The Hell Song
    The Bitter End
    Makes No Difference
    Underclass Hero
    In Too Deep

:)
    edited March 2008
    ^^ Great! This is recieving alot more positive feedback than I expected. Hopefully somebody from Harmonix will look into this.
  • darlenerules14darlenerules14 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    If I were to pick a 3-pack of SUM 41

Hell Song
    We're All To Blame
    Still Waiting
    and maybe Pain for Pleasure as a bonus haha
  • Bombjr107Bombjr107 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Needs more "No Reason"

IMO, their best song...
  • jabaronyjabarony Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, Sum 41 is awesome. Some other awesome bands that should be in the game:

Korn
    Matchbox 20
    Nickleback
    P.O.D.
    Stained
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Counting Crows
    Disturbed
    All American Rejects

Get on it Harmonix!
  • TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    In Too Deep would be amazing.
  • ThallisThallis Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    *Facepalm* at post 16. This thread is for Sum 41 not the bands you'd like. There are other threads for that.

Still Waiting and In Too Deep needs to be added. These songs would be pretty sweet, even if the Still Waiting video made fun of The Who.
    edited March 2008
    ^^ Thanks for the feedback, Darlenerules, bombjr, TakeABow, Thallis, and jabarony! And I'll have to make sure that I get around to listening to "No Reason" sometime.
  • KenKen Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Yeah.. Sum 41 would be epic in the game. Specifically some of my favorites, being Motivation, and Walking Disaster.
  • TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Thallis;457022 said:
    *Facepalm* at post 16. This thread is for Sum 41 not the bands you'd like. There are other threads for that.

Still Waiting and In Too Deep needs to be added. These songs would be pretty sweet, even if the Still Waiting video made fun of The Who.
    Post 16:
    TakeABow;457019 said:
    In Too Deep would be amazing.
    Sum 41 - In Too Deep

I am confused.
  • kylerownsx62kylerownsx62 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Fat Lip
    In Too Deep
    and
    NO REASON!!!!!

great song^
  • kaybeekaybee Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    nah its not horrible.

Still Waiting,
    In Too Deep,
    Fat Lip
    Makes no Difference

these would all be some sweet cake.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited April 2008
    I'd pay for a Sum 41 pack, most definitely. Hell Song and Still Waiting are my two faves, though I must admit I lost interest in them after Chuck was released.
    edited April 2008
    Ken- Thanks for the support!

TakeABow- o_o I think he meant post #15, the one where the person was listing off all of the bands that he would personally like to see.

kylerownsx62, kaybee, and kiggidykev- Thanks for the support!

kiggidykev- I agree with you. Underclass Hero, just... Isn't Sum 41.

I'll be making an update to the main post soon, to make better descriptions of some of the songs, and to add in descriptions for certain songs that people have reccomended here. (i.e. Fat Lip, In Too Deep, Still Waiting, and No Reason)
  • WonderboyYYZWonderboyYYZ Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Ryuzaki;426203 said:

The Hell Song
    Album: Does This Look Infected?
    The Hell Song is, hands-down, one of the best songs Sum 41 has come up with, and one of the best rock songs in existence. It's guitar rift (played in the opening and other parts of the song) is as extraordinary as Sweet Child O' Mine's

Wow, I love Sum 41 and the Hell Song too, but

WHAT A JOKE

Not even close to one of the best rock songs in existence, it's called a RIFF, not a rift,
    and Sweet Child O' Mine's riff is the greatest of all time.
    edited April 2008
    Not even close to one of the best rock songs in existence
    The last time I checked, I am entitled to have my own opinion. Please don't try to force your taste in music over mine.
    it's called a RIFF, not a rift,
    Typo'd, fixed, thanks
    and Sweet Child O' Mine's riff is the greatest of all time.
    Somewhat agreed, and once again, it was an opinionized comparison.

Otherwise, thanks for the support.
  • kornkidcrazykornkidcrazy Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Sum 41 would be fun.
  • WonderboyYYZWonderboyYYZ Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    oh yeah, and Fat Lip, In Too Deep, Motivation, Underclass Hero and Hell Song all would work for Rock Band
  • SkloofSkloof Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    any of those songs would be good my personal favorites are fatlip, still waiting, and open your eyes
  • CaptainLavenderCaptainLavender Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Fat lip
    Over my Head
    Still Waiting
    The Hell song
    In too deep

Great instruments vocals would be easy but still fun and easy to do with the guitar probably(anyone who doesn't want to sing fat lip is no friend of mine)
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the support, kornkidcrazy, WonderboyYYZ, Skloof, and Captain Lavender. ^_^
    edited May 2008
    Sorry for the double-post, but I figured it was "okay", as I'm announcing a rather large update.
    • I've added several songs to the "Main Songs" list (the ones that get their own category) including Fat Lip, Still Waiting, and In Too Deep. Enjoy! ^^

• I've put in a brief rating of each instrumental part in the song, based on personal opinion of how they sound, and an estimation of how well they could be added to the game.

• I've re-done the summaries of the main songs, to make them much more neutral, and to actually describe the song and why it should be in the game, rather than listing off adjectives.

• I've changed the listing of the main songs so they're just listed in a random order, instead of "What I think will work for rock band, best to worst". ^^; That's for you to decide.

• I've at least doubled the amount of "Other songs", which are other songs that are still great by Sum 41, but, to me, just don't make the cut of getting their own category. I did my best to try and get in the songs that have been mentioned by other users.

• I've updated the song links to cover all of the Main Songs, and each and every Other Song. Alert me if any of the links are/become broken.

And, as always, thank you for dropping in, and for any and all support given! Let's hope that Harmonix will take this into consideration, and get some Sum 41 into Rock Band!
  • FatFaceFatFace Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    My favorites that i would like to see ( tho just about any of the songs in the list of first post would be good)

The Hell Song, Still Waiting, Fat Lip, In Too Deep
    Noots is decent too
  • tsupmacktsupmack Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Sum 41 DLC would be boss