Sum 41- A Showcase of Our Generation's Greatest Punk Rock

Comments

• RyuzakiRyuzaki Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Sorry for the double-post, but I figured it was "okay", as I'm announcing a rather large update.
    • I've added several songs to the "Main Songs" list (the ones that get their own category) including Fat Lip, Still Waiting, and In Too Deep. Enjoy! ^^
    • I've put in a brief rating of each instrumental part in the song, based on personal opinion of how they sound, and an estimation of how well they could be added to the game.
    • I've re-done the summaries of the main songs, to make them much more neutral, and to actually describe the song and why it should be in the game, rather than listing off adjectives.
    • I've changed the listing of the main songs so they're just listed in a random order, instead of "What I think will work for rock band, best to worst". ^^; That's for you to decide.
    • I've at least doubled the amount of "Other songs", which are other songs that are still great by Sum 41, but, to me, just don't make the cut of getting their own category. I did my best to try and get in the songs that have been mentioned by other users.
    • I've updated the song links to cover all of the Main Songs, and each and every Other Song. Alert me if any of the links are/become broken.

And, as always, thank you for dropping in, and for any and all support given! Let's hope that Harmonix will take this into consideration, and get some Sum 41 into Rock Band!
  • FatFaceFatFace Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    My favorites that i would like to see ( tho just about any of the songs in the list of first post would be good)

The Hell Song, Still Waiting, Fat Lip, In Too Deep
    Noots is decent too
  • tsupmacktsupmack Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Sum 41 DLC would be boss
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited June 2008
    In Too Deep is all I really want.
  • rockfresh126rockfresh126 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Did this thread really read "Greatest Punk Rock?" Epic fail.
  • tommey91tommey91 Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Heart Attack all the way. Love it.
  • ben24ben24 Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    I would love to see Fat Lip, In Too Deep, Handle This and Underclass Hero and DLC. :)
  • smsballur23smsballur23 Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    the bitter end. unbelieveable guitar. sweet drums. all sum41 songs have a good bass line. and if there gonna throw in fat lip why not "what were all about" its basically a fat lip with WAY sweeter guitar.
  • Pickle_CzarPickle_Czar Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    I've said it before, bit it needs to be said again. If Sum 41 gets any representation, it'd BETTER be "No Reason". That song... is a triumph.
  • bierfahtbierfaht Road Warrior
    edited June 2008

'twas thinking the same thing.
    "our" generation's greatest punk rock would have absolutely nothing to do with the rapping posers known sum 41
  • DJSephDJSeph Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Rise against - Prayer for refugee is better :P

but yes would luv som sum 41 in rock band..

still waiting
    All to blame
    and so on :P
    edited June 2008
    My favorites that i would like to see ( tho just about any of the songs in the list of first post would be good)

The Hell Song, Still Waiting, Fat Lip, In Too Deep
    Noots is decent too
    ^^ Thanks for the support!
    Sum 41 DLC would be boss
    XD See above.
    In Too Deep is all I really want.
    Although I hope you eventually change your mind, still, thanks for the support.
    Once again, this thread is about adding in Sum 41 to Rock Band. Not to discuss how your overinflated ego could ever dictate other people's opinions on music. If this is all you have to offer to the thread, then please, leave now.
    I would love to see Fat Lip, In Too Deep, Handle This and Underclass Hero and DLC.
    Haven't heard Handle This before, I don't think. I'll have to give it a listen.
    the bitter end. unbelieveable guitar. sweet drums. all sum41 songs have a good bass line. and if there gonna throw in fat lip why not "what were all about" its basically a fat lip with WAY sweeter guitar.
    I've said it before, bit it needs to be said again. If Sum 41 gets any representation, it'd BETTER be "No Reason". That song... is a triumph.
    I personally would love to see any of the above added. Thanks for posting!
    'twas thinking the same thing.
    "our" generation's greatest punk rock would have absolutely nothing to do with the rapping posers known sum 41
    Need I repeat myself?
    Not to mention that less than 10% of Sum 41's songs have any trace of rap in them.
    Honestly, if you could exercise some self-control, and simply learn when not to post-- especially when you obviously have no idea what you're talking about--, things would be so much easier.
    Rise against - Prayer for refugee is better :P

but yes would luv som sum 41 in rock band..

still waiting
    All to blame
    and so on :P
    I agree that Rise Against is an amazing band. Definitely on par with Sum 41.
    88's Guitar Solo would be epic.
    edited June 2008
    Ryuzaki wrote: »
    ^^

Need I repeat myself?
    Not to mention that less than 10% of Sum 41's songs have any trace of rap in them.
    Honestly, if you could exercise some self-control, and simply learn when not to post-- especially when you obviously have no idea what you're talking about--, things would be so much easier.

I agree that Rise Against is an amazing band. Definitely on par with Sum 41.
    88's Guitar Solo would be epic.

why do i have to use self-control when the OP is throwing around superlatives like "a generation's greatest punk band"?
    i know we all have opinions, but really? greatest?
    there is no one better than the almighty sum 41?

my point was, that any band desperate enough to throw themselves into the rap-rock fad to gain an audience does not need to be lauded as even being decent, let alone "a generation's greatest punk rock band"
  • Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    *sighs* Sum 41 is my all time favorite band, they have yet to make a song I don't like, AND they're canadian! I have oodles of respect for these dudes, and they have such a wide variety of music in their repertoire.

I've heard pop/punk, rock, rap, pop, alternative, 80's hair metal (in the new millenium,) and even some soft ballads.

and all of their stuff is upbeat and uplifting.

I'd love to sit down and make a list of songs I want in Rock Band, but I just tried, and I realized it'd be 95% of their discography....including the bonus songs. so here's my top 5:

Intro and No Reason (it's two songs linked as one.)
    Angels with Dirty Faces
    I'm not the one
    Nothing on my Back
    Open your Eyes
    World War VII PArt 1 (super rare song of theirs....so bloody wicked about a futuristic war. this is also one of their heavy metal songs.)

so many songs I want!
    edited June 2008
    bierfaht wrote: »
    why do i have to use self-control when the OP is throwing around superlatives like "a generation's greatest punk band"?
    i know we all have opinions, but really? greatest?
    there is no one better than the almighty sum 41?

my point was, that any band desperate enough to throw themselves into the rap-rock fad to gain an audience does not need to be lauded as even being decent, let alone "a generation's greatest punk rock band"

I'm not going to continue this argument with you, if I hadn't already made that clear before. Not only is your entire standpoint moronic and not worth dealing with, but it is detrimental to this board.

If you still feel like continuing, then I'll have no problem with reporting you to the forum moderators, who I'm sure will understand what I mean when I say that you're being a nuisance on my thread because my musical opinion is not the exact same as yours.

Now, please, leave.
    I'd love to sit down and make a list of songs I want in Rock Band, but I just tried, and I realized it'd be 95% of their discography....including the bonus songs.
    XDD I know exactly what you mean. That's why I just listed off pretty much every song Sum 41 has come up with, rather than trying to create a "3-song pack".
    edited June 2008
    I'm not going to continue this argument with you, if I hadn't already made that clear before. Not only is your entire standpoint moronic and not worth dealing with, but it is detrimental to this board.

If you still feel like continuing, then I'll have no problem with reporting you to the forum moderators, who I'm sure will understand what I mean when I say that you're being a nuisance on my thread because my musical opinion is not the exact same as yours.

Now, please, leave.

Look dude, everyone has their own tastes. that's what makes the world go round. i was just taking exception to the use of "a generation's greatest punk band", which even you have to admit sounds ridiculous. if you want to report me for disagreeing with you, go ahead. that's what message boards are all about. everyone agreeing and no difference of opinion. i will now spend my time on posts more deserving of my attention.
    peace.
    ;)
  • Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    bierfaht wrote: »
    Look dude, everyone has their own tastes. that's what makes the world go round. i was just taking exception to the use of "a generation's greatest punk band", which even you have to admit sounds ridiculous. if you want to report me for disagreeing with you, go ahead. that's what message boards are all about. everyone agreeing and no difference of opinion. i will now spend my time on posts more deserving of my attention.
    peace.
    ;)

I happen to think Sum 41 DOES qualify for the greatest punk rock of our generation, alongside *gasp* The Offspring and Green Day...course, they're not the actual definition of 'punk' but they're modern punk-rock.
    edited June 2008
    Runa216 wrote: »
    I happen to think Sum 41 DOES qualify for the greatest punk rock of our generation, alongside *gasp* The Offspring and Green Day...course, they're not the actual definition of 'punk' but they're modern punk-rock.

^^; Thanks, although I've already reported him to the Harmonix Moderators, seeing as how trying to reason with him will just lead to him trying to argue even more.

Gotta love The Offspring, though.
  • PennsylvanianPennsylvanian Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    If No Cash had stayed together, I think they would have been the best punk band of this decade. It's amazing how they went from nothing local band to famous in Europe and North America on a minor label, which is extremely rare.

I don't hate Sum 41 as much as others. They've got some good listenable songs (mostly that diabetes-inducing sweet-punk, though). I rate them above post-Idiot Green Day, and above post-Americana Offspring, but you can find better by looking around for a relatively short time.
  • DaesaniaDaesania Serious Poster
    edited June 2008
    Lets please play nice guys.. dont want to have to shut down a thread just cuz of some people who cant get along. Everyone has their own opinions and if you dont like this particular band, there are hundreds of other threads you can go voice your opinion in.
  • 12013E12T12013E12T Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    i love Still Waiting!
  • NeoGreendawgNeoGreendawg Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    I liked the first two albums back in my youth (lol)... I wouldn't mind a couple of Sum 41 tracks myself but I certainly wouldn't call them "punk"...
    Pop/rock but not punk. If they're supposed to be punk well let's just call Avril Lavigne a punk revivalist while we're at it and James Blunt a deathmetal singer...
  • narutoballnarutoball Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    This game needs "The Hell Song" D:
    edited July 2008
    Agreed, Narutoball.

Anyway, went ahead and removed the links from the main page for two reasons:
    1. I couldn't figure out how to make it so that they would just appear as links, rather than uploads from Youtube. Half of them weren't showing up because of that.
    2. Most of the videos that they were linking to had been taken down by Youtube anyway.

If somebody can help me fix the first problem, then I'll gladly re-collect links for all of the songs.

Sorry about that!
  • BornLucky9BornLucky9 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Blink 182 eats Sum 41 and poops Angels And Airwaves.
  • edited July 2008
    Sum 41 is not Punk Rock, they are pop punk, true Punk Rockers had a message and took place for the most part in the late 70s and early 80s (The Clash, Pistols, Ramones, etc...)
  • CaseIDCaseID Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    BornLucky9 wrote: »
    HAHHAHAAHA
  • MarkHawkMarkHawk Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Sum 41 is not Punk Rock, they are pop punk, true Punk Rockers had a message and took place for the most part in the late 70s and early 80s (The Clash, Pistols, Ramones, etc...)

Sum 41 has come a long way. There efforts may not be the best but check this out.
    wrote:
    "In late May of 2004, the band travelled to the Democratic Republic of Congo along with War Child Canada, a branch of the British charity organization, to document the civil war occurring in the country.[6] Days after arriving, fighting broke out near the hotel the band was staying at in Bukavu.[7] The band waited for the firing to die down, but it never did. A U.N. peacekeeper, Charles "Chuck" Pelletier (also Canadian), called for armored carriers to take the hotel's occupants out of the hot zone. After nearly six hours, the carriers arrived, and the band and the forty other civilians were taken to safety. The band named their next album Chuck in honor of Pelletier for taking them to safety. The documentary was made into a film called ROCKED: Sum 41 in Congo, and was later aired on MTV. War Child released it on DVD on November 29, 2005, in the United States and Canada."

They are trying to make an effort. It's more then I can say for some bands. Not only that they put out pretty good cd's, have always offered plenty of extras with their CD, and were some of the first bands to make there CD 10.00 dollars on day one of sales.

I really like what these guys are doing. Just wanted to let you know in case you didn't. If you did sorry for the lecture.
    BornLucky9 wrote: »

Sum 41 use to open for Blink 182. I do not have any sources but I do think it was one of their big breaks. It was before "All Filler No Killer"
    edited July 2008
    That's nice. Get the hell off, before I have to call in a moderator for the third time. I can easily handle the fact that people may have different musical tastes in me. However, I will not put up with blatant stupidity and rudeness.

Once again...
    The title is just based on my own opinion. I know that some people may not consider them Punk Rock. And I know that some people may not find that they have a great showcase of songs. I do not need somebody to point that out to me.

Musical tastes, and even what you consider a genre to be, are different from person to person. There's no point in arguing about it, and that's not what this thread is for, anyway. It's to discuss the possibility of adding Sum 41 into Rock Band or Rock Band 2.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help out, MarkHawk.
  • MarkHawkMarkHawk Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Anyway, thanks for trying to help out, MarkHawk.

Anytime buddy ;)