Website content on Boston and B-52's

HMXMusomanHMXMusoman Harmonix Developer
edited April 2008 in Announcements
Greetings all...Brett here, I'm the guy that writes a lot of the content (DLC previews, blog entries) that go up on the Life page. Just wanted to alert you to a couple of new features that were posted this week:

There's a neat little feature on the first Boston album, with lots of trivia about how the album came to be. I've had a chance to talk with these guys over the years, and did an interview with singer Brad Delp (about a year before he passed away) where he spilled a lot of detail about the band's early days and the writing of those songs. Want to know where the chord progression in "More Than a Feeling" really came from?

Also, we got to talk with B-52's lead singer Fred Schneider, who told us some fun things about the band's early days on the Athens party circuit....and about how he sucks at Rock Band.

We're hoping to keep a lot of fun content coming at you in the months to come. And anyone who wants to swap obsessive music trivia is always welcome!

Comments

• DarkfireDarkfire Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Thanks Brett, I really enjoy reading the Life page. All that extra info on the bands and songs is really interesting. Keep up the good work.
  • Shayde21Shayde21 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Got a link or two?

As you can see I have no idea what a life is.
  • HMXMusomanHMXMusoman Harmonix Developer
    edited March 2008
    Boston's here and you can navigate to the rest from the left:
    http://www.rockband.com/blog/entry/264578

And thanx lotz, Darkfire!
  • codemonkey27codemonkey27 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Great stuff Brett. I hope the business side of your house never pressures you guys to the point that they drive staff away and kill the golden goose because you guys are awesome.

cm
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2008
    Thanks a lot, Muso! I've always enjoyed reading your commentary.

Plus, it's great to hear that more B-52s DLC is (almost certainly) on the way. :) Now, if we only knew which songs...
  • QueensoftheStoneAgeQueensoftheStoneAge Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    Good article. Keep up the solid work, HMX.
  • mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    Yeah man. Definitely love reading about all in the little ins and outs of rock n' roll! Good stuff!
  • zac_21_69zac_21_69 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Big fan of the Rock Band Blog! I learned a lot about the Boston album and thoroughly enjoyed the Fred Schneider interview. Keep it up with the info! Saves me a trip to Wikipedia...haha
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited March 2008
    the interview with Fred Schneider is really cool! i'd love to see more interviews with musicians and hear what they think about Rock Band
  • 28 Dukes28 Dukes Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Interesting, but I sure hope this doesnt mean we have B-52's on the way, what a shame that would be.
  • GoshdarnitGoshdarnit Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    Loved the Fred Schneider interview, and I especially loved the little snippet hinting that there will be more B52's DLC on the way soon! :) I'm happy, and most especially, my g/f is now happy too!

Thanks!
  • 904candymountain904candymountain Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Love the interviews and articles! Keep up the great work. You guys have really elevated Rock Band to something more than just a game.
  • whiffer2whiffer2 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    28 Dukes;442489 said:
    Interesting, but I sure hope this doesnt mean we have B-52's on the way, what a shame that would be.
    B-52's = annoying

Please god do not let that be the new content announced tomorrow.....
  • HMXMusomanHMXMusoman Harmonix Developer
    edited March 2008
    Hey, thanks y'all....Tune in next week for an interview with drummer Brian Viglione (of Boston's Dresden Dolls) who was was recently in the studio with Trent Reznor for the NiN instrumental project. Lots of neat details about what it's like to work with Trent...and they played Rock Band together!
  • dranddrand Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    thanks for all the good blog entries Brett! the Boston one is great, my personal favorite is the article on the kid that jumped in to play Keith Moon's part as he passed out.

keep up the good work!
  • darknessmoondarknessmoon Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    28 Dukes;442489 said:
    whiffer2;442804 said:
    B-52's = annoying

Please god do not let that be the new content announced tomorrow.....
    Ha, ha. If you guys read the interview, it clearly states to not be surprised about there being some more B-52's headed our way. :p

It's people like you guys that, whenever you say "I hope that's not going to be released tomorrow" or whatever, it makes me hope, "God, I HOPE they release that next week to make these negative nancy's shut their mouths."

Just because some of you doesn't like them it doesn't mean the rest of the community shouldn't get the chance to enjoy them, considering how many people actually WANT more B-52's (myself included).
    HMXMusoman;442816 said:
    Hey, thanks y'all....Tune in next week for an interview with drummer Brian Viglione (of Boston's Dresden Dolls) who was was recently in the studio with Trent Reznor for the NiN instrumental project. Lots of neat details about what it's like to work with Trent...and they played Rock Band together!
    2 things:

1) Please see bolded above, lol! :o

2) I really like the Dresden Dolls... Brian Viglione is an awesome drummer! Too bad the possibilities of us ever seen them in the game is near impossible considering the fact that there are only 2 members and there's only keyboards, drums, and vox... Still, awesome band! And I'm looking forward to reading that interview. :cool:
  • SteefSteef Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    HMXMusoman;439113 said:

Also, we got to talk with B-52's lead singer Fred Schneider, who told us some fun things about the band's early days on the Athens party circuit....and about how he sucks at Rock Band.
    Hahaha, funny.
    Poor Fred.
  • BHK_HeartlessBHK_Heartless Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    This a great way to interact with us. I find that so cool we get to know all this info. Thanks Brett!! (We actually share the same name lol).
  • Electric_ZenElectric_Zen Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Brett,

Please add an RSS Feed for the Life. I am always missing new content on the Rock Blog.

Thanks!
  • dady5000dady5000 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Heh Awesome job Brett, I always like reading these type of interviews.

I'm thinking about majors and one of the things I'm interested in is Possibly Journalism.
  • RagAndBoneRagAndBone Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    HMXMusoman;442816 said:
    That's pretty awesome to hear that Trent embraces Rock Band (unlike some other bands *coughtoolcough*)

And great work on the life page, I make sure to read it every Tuesday now!
  • 28 Dukes28 Dukes Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    darknessmoon;443235 said:
    Ha, ha. If you guys read the interview, it clearly states to not be surprised about there being some more B-52's headed our way. :p

It's people like you guys that, whenever you say "I hope that's not going to be released tomorrow" or whatever, it makes me hope, "God, I HOPE they release that next week to make these negative nancy's shut their mouths."

Just because some of you doesn't like them it doesn't mean the rest of the community shouldn't get the chance to enjoy them, considering how many people actually WANT more B-52's (myself included).

2 things:

1) Please see bolded above, lol! :o

2) I really like the Dresden Dolls... Brian Viglione is an awesome drummer! Too bad the possibilities of us ever seen them in the game is near impossible considering the fact that there are only 2 members and there's only keyboards, drums, and vox... Still, awesome band! And I'm looking forward to reading that interview. :cool:

Its so ignorant to call someone a "negative nancy" for not liking certain bands. I have said it before and I will say it again. Not only should we all voice our opinion about any and all download content, we should feel obligated to. It's the only way Harmonix can gather better info. So while you call us "negative nancy" because we're not jumping up and down at the prospect of the B-52's, I simply call us informative consumers.
  • whiffer2whiffer2 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    28 Dukes;444086 said:
    Its so ignorant to call someone a "negative nancy" for not liking certain bands. I have said it before and I will say it again. Not only should we all voice our opinion about any and all download content, we should feel obligated to. It's the only way Harmonix can gather better info. So while you call us "negative nancy" because we're not jumping up and down at the prospect of the B-52's, I simply call us informative consumers.
    AMEN, BROTHER!
  • BasayBasay Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Runesmith;439574 said:
    Thanks a lot, Muso! I've always enjoyed reading your commentary.

Plus, it's great to hear that more B-52s DLC is (almost certainly) on the way. :) Now, if we only knew which songs...
    ok there are a couple of B-52 songs semi worthy of RB but i mean come on i'm sure you guys can do better (sorry , just my 2 cents) :confused:
  • army_of_mearmy_of_me Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    All the Blog stuff makes excellent reading. Keep it up!
  • stonicusstonicus Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    God, I would love to have rock lobster announced tomorrow!!!
  • mojodammmojodamm Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Love the blog! Great insight into the DLC and the bands behind them, and an excellent, easy to digest writing style. Kudos!

P.S. - I second the love for the Dresden Dolls!
  • AllIWantIsU2AllIWantIsU2 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the great article. A few questions about the opening statement, "It’s finally time for Rock Band to roll out its first (nearly) complete album as DLC . . ." Does this mean that when we get Nirvana and The Who whole albums that they will also just appear in the Download section mixed with all our other DLC? Or are you working on a way that we could play the tracks in the album order without having to scroll through all of the DLC? If so, will you go back and make the Boston tracks available this way as well? Inquiring minds want to know! Or we'll just have to wait until the albums come out.
  • SveppiSveppi Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    I really enjoy reading the Rock Band Blog, keep it coming :D
  • Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Love reading the blogs and all the info.

Count me as somebody who would love to have some more B-52s in Rock Band. Variety is the spice of life.