Which of these Legendary Rock drum Performances is your favorite?

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited March 2008 in History of Rock
I figure this would be an interesting poll. I am going to post some of the most well know great drum performances by rock drummers. Note: I will not list bonham's moby dick because every person will immediately click it

Carl Palmer
Toccata

Terry Bozzio
The Black Page

Don Brewer
TNUC

Ginger Baker
Toad

Michael Giles
21st Century Schizoid Man (Including Mirrors)

Keith Moon
Cobwebs & Strange

Mitch Mitchell
Fire

Ian Paice
Space Truckin'

Bill Bruford
Heart of Sunrise

(PLEASE WATCH THE OTHER VIDEOS BEFORE IMMEDIATELY CHOOSING THIS ONE PLEASE)
Neil Peart
YYZ

Comments

• BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Toad, Cobwebs and strange, and Fire are a tie for me right now

Have you watched santana at woodstock the drum solo on Soul sacrifice is amazing

• OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Michael Shrieve at Woodstock -- Not saying it's technically better than say Black Page, but it's my favorite because this unknown 19 year old kid in this relatively unknown band came out and blew everyone away at the biggest concert of all time.

But if I were voting for the choices you posted, a21, which are all great, I'd go with Black Page.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2008
    I wanted Aja with Steve Gadd but I couldn't find a decent video.
    edited March 2008
    That was easily one of the best drum performances ever, live. I say we start another poll for that one. It is amazing tho.
    edited March 2008
    OldFogey;446496 said:
    Michael Shrieve at Woodstock -- Not saying it's technically better than say Black Page, but it's my favorite because this unknown 19 year old kid in this relatively unknown band came out and blew everyone away at the biggest concert of all time.

now thats just freaky hahahaha

I gotta wait till tommor to vote so i can listen again to everything if i try it on my laptop it freezes up
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    a21schizoidman;446502 said:
    I wanted Aja with Steve Gadd but I couldn't find a decent video.
    Yeah, that is awesome, but I don't think Steve ever played with them live.

There's some insane stuff from Vinnie Colaiuta on the Buffalo CD from Zappa that Axl recommended to me. Especially on the Torture never stops.

Check this one of Vinnie with one of my favorite guitar players, Mike Landau

edited March 2008
    that vid kicks ass man

check out this snare demo by Palmer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn9fkAGwJcM
  • Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    No O' Baterista by Peart??? =)
  • zDisturbedOnezzDisturbedOnez Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    I dont want to sound like a sell out or anything but honestly the one that will forever be burned into my mind is John Bonham and Moby Dick. I remember watching the Song Remains the Same with my dad when I was younger and it will forever stay with me. Maybe not extremely technical but still a great performance for me. But from your list I chose Black Page. As usual another good post A21.

• Head For METALHead For METAL Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Terry Bozzio just cause he is HAWT lol :)
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    I shall leave it a mystery as to what I voted.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    AxlVanHagar;448721 said:
    I shall leave it a mystery as to what I voted.
    I'm guessing Terry Bozzio.

I voted for Mitch Mitchell. I've always loved his beat for fire and the fills are awesome. I thought it was kind of weird how you added just the drum solo for Ginger Baker. Drum solos are always pretty boring imo.
  • harper83087harper83087 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Neil Peart all the way for me...not only is he...um...whats the word...awesome but he is also a great writer, i highly recommend his book "Ghost Rider" has a lot of explaination behind the lyrical content of the "Vapor Trails" album. btw im not say in all the other drummers suck, they all get honorable mention, but pearts my personal fav
  • orange_blackorange_black Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    OldFogey;446496 said:

But if I were voting for the choices you posted, a21, which are all great, I'd go with Black Page.
    ah, Old Fooger, i bought that DVD solely for that performance. good stuff...

and take note, children... traditional grip is not only where its at.. its freakin kewl.

learn it
    love it
    use it

:)
    edited March 2008
    lol i got a keith moon quote for ya

"drum solos are ****ing boring. Any kind of solo is. It detracts from the group identity.-Keith moon, rolling stones interview"

I like his drumming in the band more than any drum solo (exept wont get fooled again) When it come to druming In a normal song he cannot be beat
    But in solos I say Pert and bonham beat him
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited March 2008
    I'm going with Don Brewer. I love Grand Funk Railroad, so I figured I'd toss my fanboyism in with a certain other poster on here. But really, I really just like Brewer more than all these other drummers. He's certainly got more feeling in his drumming than any of these guys (especially Peart. That guy is a machine, but he drums like one too. He must have been the model for the Guitar Hero 3 drumming animations). Also, compare the size of Brewer's drum set to the sets of every other drummer on here. Brewer also knew that drum solos are not all about speed; he always made his solos have life, carrying a tune all their own. IMHO, he's Keith Moon drumming with an idea of where he's going with it.
  • DSOTMDSOTM Road Warrior
    edited March 2008