Quick Guitar Vote

gh2masterwellalmostgh2masterwellalmost Road Warrior
edited September 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
So lets say that, you're a guitar n00b, but you have a choice of 3 instruments. (My other thread on guitar it appears only Saltines is subscribed to now, but I'd like to hear from everyone)

With the Epiphone SG + Les Paul Player Packs, they're cheaper, and you can have em right now

Or, wait a little while for the more expensive full on strat

THINK WHICH IS EASIER TO LEARN, MORE LIKELY TO PLAY SOME INDIE TO METAL ROCK

Decision 1: Epiphone Cheaper SG Player Pack, can have now
Decision 2: Epiphone Cheaper Les Paul Player Pack, can have now
Decision 3: More expensive Fender Strat at $200 more

Comments

• Scott87Scott87 Opening Act
    edited September 2007
  • IbanezBassist_v2IbanezBassist_v2 Road Warrior
    edited September 2007
    Go with the SG my friend. Although neither would be my choice, but if I had to pick, it'd be the SG.
  • gh2masterwellalmostgh2masterwellalmost Road Warrior
    edited September 2007
    IbanezBassist_v2;52748 said:
    Go with the SG my friend. Although neither would be my choice, but if I had to pick, it'd be the SG.
    Well, I've said no to Les Paul. Just remembered how thick they are - not for me to learn on.

So its a £110 ($200) difference between an Epi SG pack and Fender Strat... I'm sliding towards SG atm, cos ultimately I can always ask (or should I say beg) for a Strat when/if I want one in a few years time, and I don't think many people I know have an Epi SG.
  • SaltinesSaltines Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    I said the LP. Even though you don't like it :)
    But out of the two you want, I don't really know, go for the pack maybe, start playing sooner and have almost everything you need right out of the box. But if you get it take it up t a shop and get the guitar set up.. Rarely is a guitar ever perfectly put together and ready to play right out of the box.
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited September 2007
    Epiphone Les Paul FTW.
    edited September 2007
    Coldplayer;52795 said:
    Epiphone Les Paul FTW.
    Ok then, I'll keep LP in if you think its good, cos strat is a bad choice now, for defo decided that. For the music I described, plus I've heard its heavy, how is it for beginners?
    edited September 2007
    gh2masterwellalmost;52803 said:
    Ok then, I'll keep LP in if you think its good, cos strat is a bad choice now, for defo decided that. For the music I described, plus I've heard its heavy, how is it for beginners?
    You heard the LP is heavy? Or the strat? Strat is light, the LP's are usually heavy but the Epi is no where as heavy as the Gibson.

You shouldn't have any trouble learning on an LP.. I never hav had problems playing guitars that are thinker or thinner than others.

You might want to try them out though, don't just listen to us. Your hands might feel uncomfortable on say an LP. They have a pretty thick neck, as the strat's neck isn't too thick, and fits me perfectly. I don;t know about the SG. Playing it seemed awkward.The neck felt weird, because it's a little shorter, and my arms are really long.
    edited September 2007
    Saltines;52811 said:
    You heard the LP is heavy? Or the strat? Strat is light, the LP's are usually heavy but the Epi is no where as heavy as the Gibson.

You shouldn't have any trouble learning on an LP.. I never hav had problems playing guitars that are thinker or thinner than others.

You might want to try them out though, don't just listen to us. Your hands might feel uncomfortable on say an LP. They have a pretty thick neck, as the strat's neck isn't too thick, and fits me perfectly. I don;t know about the SG. Playing it seemed awkward.The neck felt weird, because it's a little shorter, and my arms are really long.
    Well, I was hoping to order online lol I'll just say I'm "interested", cos store prices are pure rubbish compared to online.

I mean, the SG I'm swinging towards cos its rocky, I know the Strat is stupid to aim for, Squiers are everywhere, but the Epi Les Paul looks nice, for sure. But, surely the LP is like a pro's guitar, not a learner's (well my friends are obviously bad sources of info haha). My hands are fairly large for my age, but thats cos I'm 5 10, so no more kiddy guitars for me :P haha.

I've heard SG's FEEL flimsy but aren't, and the neck allows for quicker sliding (some guitar review told me that website), and I think for a beginner a thinner guitar would be better, cos when I was on my kiddy acoustic (painful that, the frets were teeny) I wanted to have a detailed look at the frets I was hitting at first, but obviously an acoustic needs to be thick, but thinner the better for me.

I mean, my first electric means that nothing will feel awkward to me, or if it does, I will adjust, and it will become my norm. I think I'll get the SG (I do REALLY want a strat but its so much more money mainly for looks, for the sound difference isnt so major for a n00b) see if I get good, then in a few years time go on the Rock Band 2 forum (lol) and I'll be asking LP or Strat? :D
    edited September 2007
    gh2masterwellalmost;52850 said:
    Well, I was hoping to order online lol I'll just say I'm "interested", cos store prices are pure rubbish compared to online.

I mean, the SG I'm swinging towards cos its rocky, I know the Strat is stupid to aim for, Squiers are everywhere, but the Epi Les Paul looks nice, for sure. But, surely the LP is like a pro's guitar, not a learner's (well my friends are obviously bad sources of info haha). My hands are fairly large for my age, but thats cos I'm 5 10, so no more kiddy guitars for me :P haha.

I've heard SG's FEEL flimsy but aren't, and the neck allows for quicker sliding (some guitar review told me that website), and I think for a beginner a thinner guitar would be better, cos when I was on my kiddy acoustic (painful that, the frets were teeny) I wanted to have a detailed look at the frets I was hitting at first, but obviously an acoustic needs to be thick, but thinner the better for me.

I mean, my first electric means that nothing will feel awkward to me, or if it does, I will adjust, and it will become my norm. I think I'll get the SG (I do REALLY want a strat but its so much more money mainly for looks, for the sound difference isnt so major for a n00b) see if I get good, then in a few years time go on the Rock Band 2 forum (lol) and I'll be asking LP or Strat? :D
    Well.. you wont have to worry about any of those choices being to thick if compared to an acoustic.
    I wouldn't say that an LP is a pros guitar.. it's all about how the guitar feels to you. Is it comfortable? Thats what you need to ask your self what kind of tone are you looking for, which you probably don't need to put much thought into. I like that your staying in range of guitars that are good for almost anything, that way you can progress well playing metal, rock, jazz, blues ect.