Cream vs The Experience

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited April 2008 in History of Rock
Ok, there are lots of threads with "who is the better band" themes. Now, how about we break them down. Who has the better bass, drums, vocals, and guitar?

Ok, Power Trio Megagroup Battle Time. Neither were together for very long...

Cream
Technically a supergroup. One of the bands that set the origin for heavy metal. Had a trio of musicians deeply rooted in blues music. Ginger Baker was a phenomenal drummer, Jack Bruce had a great voice and is considered one of the greatest bassists of all time, esp. with a fretless bass, Eric Clapton played guitar and was probably at his best when with Cream. The band was only around from 66-68, but made a lasting impression on music. Not touring anymore except for reunion tours a few years ago. Magnum Opus: Disraeli Gears

Eric Clapton - guitar
Jack Bruce - bass
Ginger Baker - drums

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Hendrix couldn't make it in America, playing a guitar as if it were part of his body, a right handed guitar, upside down, restrung, playing left-handed (gave one of them to Stephen Stills), he went to Great Britain, where he was discovered by Animals bassist, Chas Chandler. They got a group together. Mitch Mitchell would be his drummer, one of the hardest hitting of all time, and Noel Redding a guitarist turned bassist. Band fallouts would lead to breakups and reunions, though Mitchell always would remain Hendrix's partner, Hendrix once punched Redding out on stage. Lasted from 66-70. No longer touring, RIP Jimi. Mitch Mitchell was originall asked to be the drummer with Keith Emerson and Greg Lake, but turned it down, and passed the idea to Jimi, who agreed, and was going to jam with them and new drummer Carl Palmer, but died before he got the chance... Magnum Opus - Electric Ladyland

Jimi Hendrix - guitar
Noel Redding - bass
Mitch Mitchell - drums

Ok, now vote for who is the better of the musicians in their respected categories (DO NOT CLICK THEM ALL)

Vocals:
Jack Bruce - Cream
Jimi Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Bass:
Jack Bruce - Cream
Noel Redding - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Drums:
Ginger Baker - Cream
Mitch Mitchell - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Guitar:
Eric Clapton - Cream
Jimi Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

and

Overall:
Cream
The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Comments

• BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Im liking this more than Julios Battle of the bands
    Maby wait a day or two to make the next one it needs to be orginized
    I would love to see a Ramones Vs The Clash

On topic I like the experience overall better, but I have seen cream live.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2008
    Gotta go with The Experience. God, I wish Jimi was still alive.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    This is like choosing your favorite child, but oh well

Bass -- Jack
    Vocals -- Jack
    Drums -- tough, but Ginger
    Guitar -- Jimi
    Overall -- JHE

Saw them both, Cream in prime not in the reunion of a bunch of 60 year olds.

JH was the real deal. And then some.
  • DSOTMDSOTM Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    cream overall is better
    vocals: didnt vote, dont see anything special about either vocalists
    drums: ginger baker
    bass: jack bruce
    guitar: jimi hendrix
    overall cream is a better band than the experience, mostly because the experience was more about hendrix than the actual band
  • partyboydanialpartyboydanial Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    dang this is a hard one i like jimi hendrix experience better overall and on vocals and guitar (not tht eric clapton isnt very close) but on drums and bass (not mitch and noel arent very close) id have to go with jack bruce and ginger baker
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    DSOTM;456652 said:
    cream overall is better
    vocals: didnt vote, dont see anything special about either vocalists
    drums: ginger baker
    bass: jack bruce
    guitar: jimi hendrix
    overall cream is a better band than the experience, mostly because the experience was more about hendrix than the actual band
    Voted for the same thing except i voted for jimi as best singer. This is personnal, I prefer his voice. I'd like to say that Eric Clapton is a guitar god, even though I voted for Hendrix. They're both great great great.
    edited March 2008
    How about this -- Jack Bruce, Vernon Reid and Terry Bozzio covering "Manic Depression" Vocal balance is off at first. Once it's corrected, Jack does a great vocal. Vernon is clearly Vernon. And Terry sets a great beat.

• a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2008
    OldFogey;456769 said:
    How about this -- Jack Bruce, Vernon Reid and Terry Bozzio covering "Manic Depression" Vocal balance is off at first. Once it's corrected, Jack does a great vocal. Vernon is clearly Vernon. And Terry sets a great beat.

once again Fogey, you show off video gold
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    haha no love for Noel.

I picked:

Vocals: Jimi - He might not be more talented at singing, but there is something about his voice that I love.

Guitar: Jimi - Even though this might have been Clapton's peak in his guitar career Jimi is still #1 in my book.

Bass: Jack - Jack is a great bassist and Noel was just good. Noel wasn't anything special but he played an important role in the band. Jack is a great bassist and very underrated imo.

Drums: Mitch - I love Mitch's drumming style. He created a lot of very unique drum beats and I love how he uses the snare a lot and the sound of his fills. Ginger is fantastic as well, but I just like Mitch's style better.

I love both Cream and JHE but JHE is just a bit better. All of these band members probably had equal talent, but my choices were based on how I like their styles more than how skilled they are.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited April 2008
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited April 2008
    WHAT THE HELL MAN!

QUIT STEALING BOTB BATTLES!

The roster will be up soon be patient dammit!

Rbfan and I made the botb so these threads wouldn't be made anymore!
    edited April 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;479304 said:
    WHAT THE HELL MAN!

Well, personally I don't think schizoidman is stealing BotB stuff at all.

First of all, he's just offering up pairings. He hasn't said anything about trying to come up with an ultimate winner.

Second, instead of just an overall vote for the band, he's breaking it down into different categories. Which starts a different kind of discussion.

As long as schizoidman doesn't turn this into a "who's the ultimate winner thing" then I don't see anything wrong with offering up a little variety.
  • KillBoxKillBox Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    I voted cream...

better vocals (although not saying much)
    clapton on guitar
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;479304 said:
    WHAT THE HELL MAN!

Yeah! What he said!
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    OldFogey;479553 said:
    Well, personally I don't think schizoidman is stealing BotB stuff at all.

First of all, he's just offering up pairings. He hasn't said anything about trying to come up with an ultimate winner.

Second, instead of just an overall vote for the band, he's breaking it down into different categories. Which starts a different kind of discussion.

As long as schizoidman doesn't turn this into a "who's the ultimate winner thing" then I don't see anything wrong with offering up a little variety.
    Yeah! WHAT HE SAID!!!!!
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited April 2008
    I vote that overall, The Jimi Hendrix Experience was the best.

Look at the performance from Monterey in '67, and say that it is not THE BEST playing of the band's career.

On another note. "Electric Ladyland" while good, pales in comparison to "Are You Experienced?". True "Electric Ladyland" gave us "All Along The Watchtower", but "Are You Experienced?" gave us the anthems "Purple Haze", "Foxey Lady", "Fire", and, the song that sums up 1967-1969 in history, "The Wind Cries Mary".

Other than disagreeing on what the band's best album is, I agree with the OP on what he said about The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

I hope that if there is a Heaven, the main club has Jimi Hendrix live every night, accompanied by John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison. :)