The Who vs Led Zeppelin

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited April 2008 in History of Rock
Ok, there are lots of threads with "who is the better band" themes. Now, how about we break them down. Who has the better bass, drums, vocals, and guitar?

Back in the late 60s and early 70s, this would probably lead to a fistfight.
Legendary hard rock quartet whose members are usually all considered overrated battle time.

The Who
Played at Woodstock. Released two legendary rock operas Tommy and Quadrophenia. Was once the loudest band on earth. Started out as The Detours. Lost a founding member and carried on, still touring, but only with one and half original members (Townshend being deaf). They were known for their antics and destructive behavior onstage, and well, everywhere else. Townshend is always considered a great songwriter and guitarist, windmilling away, Daltrey can scream and stretch his vocals, Entwistle is always on a top bassist list, and Moon was a legendary drummer. Phil Collins actually wanted to join the band after Keith passed. They all starred in a movie, Tommy (go watch it). Magnum Opus - Who's Next

Roger Daltrey - vocals
Pete Townshend - guitar
John Entwistle - bass
Keith Moon - drums

Led Zeppelin
Legends. Everyone knows their songs. They might not be loud, they might not all be superstars, they might not perform anymore, but you hear their music everywhere. Plant, Page, JPJ, Bonham. All considered great. Many look up to them and list them as influences. Not as wild as the Who, but still managed to fool around with a groupie by sticking a fish in her. Plant went solo in the 80s, Bonham died, Page released a few solo albums, tried a few supergroups, plays with Plant sometimes. Magnum Opus - Led Zeppelin II

Robert Plant - vocals
Jimmy Page - guitar
John Paul Jones - bass
John Bonham - drums

Ok, now vote for who is the better of the musicians in their respected categories (DO NOT CLICK THEM ALL) [Keep it clean here people]

Vocals:
Roger Daltrey - The Who
Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin

Guitar:
Pete Townshend - The Who
Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin

Bass:
John Entwistle - The Who
John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin

Drums:
Keith Moon - The Who
John Bonham - Led Zeppelin

and
Overall:
The Who
Led Zeppelin

Comments

• a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;456535 said:
    Well you know whos got my vote :D

Watch out this thread is going to heat up. We had a thread a while back The Who Vs Zep and it was a battle ground (Well mostly thanks to me)
    always has been, man, read a lot about it, used to be you could like one or the other, lol kinda like Bears or packers
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    If you're wondering why the numbers don't add up -- it's because I didn't vote for either Plant or Daltrey. They're OK, and they work good in their bands, but neither one is a big favorite with me, and I don't hear much to choose between them.

I chose Page, Entwhistle, Bonham and the Who.

Again -- no songwriter choice. And that's what makes the Who the choice for me.

So -- if we do these kind of instrument by instrument playoffs again, let's have a songwriter option, too.
  • BedBeatsBedBeats Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    YOW!

What a hard choice....though i have to say THE tipping point is John Paul Jones.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2008
    OldFogey;456616 said:
    If you're wondering why the numbers don't add up -- it's because I didn't vote for either Plant or Daltrey. They're OK, and they work good in their bands, but neither one is a big favorite with me, and I don't hear much to choose between them.

I chose Page, Entwhistle, Bonham and the Who.

Again -- no songwriter choice. And that's what makes the Who the choice for me.

So -- if we do these kind of instrument by instrument playoffs again, let's have a songwriter option, too.

I want to, but only 10 spots...
  • DSOTMDSOTM Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    gotta go with led zeppelin
    i love the who but i like led zep a little bit more
  • spoonytoothspoonytooth Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    such a hard choice, two very different music styles, but they are both my two absolute favorite bands of all time. I really couldn't decide who I like better overall, but I chose the Who.
  • partyboydanialpartyboydanial Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    ill take:

guitar- Page

vocals- Daltrey

bass- Estinwhile (can nvr spell tht name)

drums- Moon

Overall- Zep

this on was pretty hard to though
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    a21schizoidman;456626 said:
    I want to, but only 10 spots...
    Option -- combine bass and drums into rhythm section. I know it's less than ideal, but on both this one and the JHE vs. Cream poll songwriting was the determiner for me.
  • SteelersFreak1SteelersFreak1 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Plant
    Page
    Entwistle
    Bonham
    Led Zeppelin
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    partyboydanial;456713 said:
    ill take:

guitar- Page

vocals- Daltrey

bass- Estinwhile (can nvr spell tht name) I believe its spelled Entwistle lol.

drums- Moon

Overall- Zep

this on was pretty hard to though
    I choose the same. Even though I liked 3 of The Who's members better I like Led Zeppelins songs better.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited March 2008
    They are equal. They are the best bands ever.
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    Julio Where have you been? Im glad this Threads remaing peacefull

I just want to post some of my favorite WHO vids.

Heaven and Hell (To those who Doubt petes Guitar ability)

summertime blues

The Real me (its just not as good without moon)

Feel free to post Led zep vids as well

or I can
    Communication Breakdown (my favorite Zep song)

Not as many live vids of Zep as the Who tho (On you tube at least)
  • KillBoxKillBox Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Zep all the way

I Can't Quit You Baby (Page tears it up)

• DisaDisa Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Vocals: Daltrey
    Guitair: Page
    Bass: Didn't Vote
    Drums: Moon
    Overall: The Who

Who knows, though? I love them both.
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited March 2008
  • shogun290shogun290 Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    Its a Tie for me. I voted
    Vocals: Plant
    Guitar: Townshend (more energy and started the smashing up the stage routine)
    Bass: Entwistle
    Drums: Bonham
    But for the overall, i had to choose both, they are both great.
  • gorillawarfaregorillawarfare Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    very hard to compare the bands on a member to member basis because they built their songs so differently. Zepp built their songs around drums and bass, which allowed the guitarist to go crazy, while the who built their songs around the guitar, allowing the drums and bass to go crazy. Townshend wasn't really a lead guitarist, even though he was the only guitarist.

townshend vs page: hard to compare as stated above. Nothing really seemed to set page apart from many of the other bluesesque guitarists. He's good but not as good as people make him out to be. Probably a better solo guitar player that pete, but not as important to his band as pete is. (songwriting, and leadership aside, pete's rhythm guitar anchor is part of what kept the rest of the band from falling into incoherent jibberish.)

Entwhistle vs jones: slightly easier to compare because jones didn't have to hold down the rhythm but chose to (or allowed himself to be forced to) anyway because bonham had him covered. People always talk about the lemon song, I wasn't that impressed. Doesn't hold a candle to pretty much every who song entwhistle didn't sing lead on. Entwhistle filled out the bottom of the sound while playing lead.

Moon vs Bonham: moon is really hard to compare to anybody because he's so different. Bonham is faster and more accurate and precise, but I still like moon more. take moby dick vs baby don't you do it. baby don't you do it comes very close, but its a relatively unknown song while moby dick is practically bonham's flagship.

Daltry and Plant: both singers ended up with the right bands. Plant always seemed to be what set Zepplin apart to me. The who would have been gibberish, screaming, rediculous drums that don't hold down any sort of beat, a bassist who doesn't want to play basslines, and a guitarist who was more interested in stage antics than guitar licks if Plant had somehow ended up singing for the who. Daltrey kept the band in whatever song they were playing (most of the time, see my generation on live at leeds. imagine a band that did just that all the time, and you would have the who without daltrey.

edit: here is baby don't you do it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tsjUBRFTPc
  • KillBoxKillBox Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    gorillawarfare;463130 said:
    Zepp built their songs around drums and bass, which allowed the guitarist to go crazy

townshend vs page: but not as important to his band as pete is.

Daltry and Plant: Plant always seemed to be what set Zepplin apart to me.
    they did not build all of their songs around drums and bass...there are some songs that they even had to restrain bonham from drumming because the drums were becoming the focal point of the song and it was not designed that way...most of their songs were started by Page or Page and Plant and usually centered around some guitar material that Page came up with or "borrowed" and in some cases, without proper credit...

w/o Page there would have been no Led Zeppelin...he was THE most important member of the group...his great guitar work aside, he organized the band, produced all of the albums, and was largely the overall creative force/visionary behind the band in most everything they did...when the other band members were relaxing between tours, Page was in the studio working

what sets Zep apart really is every single band member....each one of them were unique in their respective parts in the band...Page was a great guitarist/producer, Plant had unique vocals, JPJ was a great bass player(as well as other instruments like keyboard), and Bonham a great drummer...rather than one or two members who stood out, all of the members stood out and when they came together their synergy was unmatched
  • HPLabonteHPLabonte Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Daltrey, Moon, Entwistle, Page, Who.

I'm one of the world's biggest who fans, and can't justify voting for Townshend over page, haha.
  • SteefSteef Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Man, way to pin two of my favourites against one another...
    I can't decide...
    edited April 2008
    gorillawarfare;463130 said:

edit: here is baby don't you do it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tsjUBRFTPc
    Thats one of my favorite Who songs both because it just kicks ass and its a Cover of a MarvinGaye song

Yea Moons drums cannot be replicated on that song

Although IMO moon dose have the most influnetial and known drum solo of all time. "Wont Get Fooled Again" Not very long or complex but I bet more people have herd it than "moby dick"

Sry I just dont find pages guitar playing interesting. Even the blues stuff seems too tehcnical. Very generic playing. He was just fast for his time.

Pete Although he dosent solo as much put so much feeling into the playing that you can tell the mood of the song from the way he plays the chords. And he plays alot of lead licks within that, He also improvies almost everything unlike most guitarists.

Great example WATER ( The whole thing is filled with lead work, But some feeback or recording malfunction at points thats really anoying)

• Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Guitar - Page
    Vocals - Tie
    Drums - Slight edge to Moon
    Bass - Entwistle
    Songwriting - The Who
    Best Album out of both catalogues - Tommy
    Overall - The Who
  • lilsweetpotatolilsweetpotato Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    I could honestly go the rest of my life without hearing Zeppelin again. I dont dislike them by anymeans, but Im just sick of them.

I think Townsend was a better songwriter, but Page seemed to have a better skillset.
    Plant may have had a better voice, but I think Daltry was a better frontman.
    Never terribly impressed with JPJ, but I always dug Entwistles contributions, like "Heaven and Hell", and "My Wife", and his occaisonal singing was ok too.
    Moonie was actually my favorite member of the Who, I always liked the fact that he was a shrimp, but made such a huge drum sound. He was always entertaining to watch too, either in all the various clips from "The Kids are allright" or the "Live:@the Isle of Wight" stuff. Dear god, Tony Fletchers, nearly 600 page Bio on Moon, is exhaustive.

I cant wait, like lots of us for "Whos Next", I do think its one of the best (and sadly still a bit under-rated, by SOME people) rock albums. BUT, I will admit that Im getting sick of it just a little. If Hollywood could go one, or maybe two years without including "Baba O'Reilly" in a movie (seriously, its everywhere now, even if its just a TV bit) my love affair could be rekindled. But the earlier mod stuff is still great. I still love "(I cant) Explain" and "Pictures of Lilly" to death, and, erm "Tommy".
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Plant (really close)
    Page (no contest)
    Entwhistle (no contest)
    Moon (pretty close)

Zep (really close)
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited April 2008
    edited April 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;465440 said:
    Thats one of my favorite Who songs both because it just kicks ass and its a Cover of a MarvinGaye song

Yea Moons drums cannot be replicated on that song

Although IMO moon dose have the most influnetial and known drum solo of all time. "Wont Get Fooled Again" Not very long or complex but I bet more people have herd it than "moby dick"

Sry I just dont find pages guitar playing interesting. Even the blues stuff seems too tehcnical. Very generic playing. He was just fast for his time.

Pete Although he dosent solo as much put so much feeling into the playing that you can tell the mood of the song from the way he plays the chords. And he plays alot of lead licks within that, He also improvies almost everything unlike most guitarists.

Great example WATER ( The whole thing is filled with lead work, But some feeback or recording malfunction at points thats really anoying)

It's unfair to compare Led Zeppelin and The Who when you obviously listen to The Who constantly and don't listen to Zeppelin very often, and you probably have at least twice as many Who songs as Zeppelin songs.

Its like me trying to compare Rush and Rush and The Who. I have over 100 Rush songs, but only about 20 The Who songs (and I don't listen to half of them because they are from 'It's Hard', terrible album).
    edited April 2008
    SteelersFreak1;474152 said:
    It's unfair to compare Led Zeppelin and The Who when you obviously listen to The Who constantly and don't listen to Zeppelin very often, and you probably have at least twice as many Who songs as Zeppelin songs.
    No when I was 15 just two years ago I was a diehard led zeppelin. I listend to almost every song they had. and the more I listend the more i grew bored with it. I still listen to led Zep II but other than that album I am bored with their music. I grew out of it I have 4 led zep albums I, II, IV, and a greatest hits compilation. So don't say I don't listen to them. I was listening to "Heartbreaker just a few minuites ago.

But as I've listend to the Who more often I have found that They are just a better band. More energy and emotion. more entertaing. Just funner music in general. Their music has meaning. Trust me listen to more Who. Pick up live at leeds.
  • HPLabonteHPLabonte Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    I just think The Who's Magnum opus was Quadrophenia.
    edited April 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;474312 said:
    No when I was 15 just two years ago I was a diehard led zeppelin. I listend to almost every song they had. and the more I listend the more i grew bored with it. I still listen to led Zep II but other than that album I am bored with their music. I grew out of it I have 4 led zep albums I, II, IV, and a greatest hits compilation. So don't say I don't listen to them. I was listening to "Heartbreaker just a few minuites ago.

But as I've listend to the Who more often I have found that They are just a better band. More energy and emotion. more entertaing. Just funner music in general. Their music has meaning. Trust me listen to more Who. Pick up live at leeds.
    I know The Who is a great band, but there is more to Zeppelin than I, II, and IV. There are some great songs on Presence and Zeppelin III. And In Through the Out Door is a much different album than the others.
  • DSOTMDSOTM Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    SteelersFreak1;474152 said:
    its called liking one more than the other
    if he likes the who more of course hes going to have a lot more songs by the who than by led zep