Modern Bands With Classic Sounds

polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
edited July 2013 in History of Rock
I'm making this thread for all the people that say "All modern music sucks and I only like classic rock." So, if you know any, post about bands that are current but have a classic sound to them.

My first choice - Rose Hill Drive

From Rolling Stone:
Rose Hill Drive, a young power trio whose members somehow all manage to look like the last known photograph of Duane Allman, grew up in Boulder, Colorado, worshipping guitar-shredding groups like the Who and Van Halen. They never imagined their high school band (named after the street that guitarist Daniel Sproul, 22, and his bassist brother, Jacob, 24, grew up on) would wind up opening for both groups before the oldest member hit age twenty-five."We were used to looking for the smallest place in the city," Jacob says. "Instead, we're cruising down the highway looking for the Enormodome."

THE FORMULA (Cream + Bon Scott) x Big Cool Friend = Rose Hill Drive

Full Article Here

Videos:

Showdown live (Embedding Disabled)

Cross The Line (Live):

Sneak Out (Live):

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/rosehilldrive

I'll post more bands later.

Comments

• BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    The Raconteurs and the Black keys are others to check out
    I cannot get vids up now but look them up they have the great raw classic sound.

Rose hill drive is pretty awsome i herd about them a while ago Dident they tour with "The Who"?
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;457544 said:
    The Raconteurs and the Black keys are others to check out
    I cannot get vids up now but look them up they have the great raw classic sound.

Rose hill drive is pretty awsome i herd about them a while ago Dident they tour with "The Who"?
    Yeah thats where I first saw them. I saw them open for The Who and I was blown away. They put on a really good live show.
  • StewStew Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    The Mars Volta bring back a little bit of that classical psychedlia-prog back with them
    edited March 2008
    both Brand new vid from march !
    The Raconteurs - Salute Your Solution

The Black Keys - Strange Times

Gnarls Barkley although more pop and hip hop defiatly have a 60's soul sound. not Rock but still awsome

ive never been into the Mars Volta but then again I havent herd enough of their meterial anything you can recomend?
  • StewStew Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    Mars Volta wise:

Anything from Deloused in the Comatorium; Roulette Dares (The Haunt of), Drunkship of Lanterns, and Televators

From Frances the Mute; The Widow or L'Via L'Viaquez (or if you're feeling gutsy, Cassandra Gemini = 30+ minutes!)

Amputechture; Day of the Baphomets, Meccaamputecture, Tetragammation, Viscera Eyes

Bedlam in Goliath; Goliath, Wax Simulacra, Agadez, Metatron, Ilyena, Ouroborous

I understand TMV is a different band and not everyone's cup of tea, but I just love them so much that I recommend them to everyone

PS - Broken boy soldiers for the frickin win, what a solid album
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited March 2008
    I am thoroughly impressed with Rose Hill Drive. Thanks for the tip.
  • synA7XsynA7X Opening Act
    edited March 2008
    If anyone has listened to the album "Hello Master" by Priestess..it def. has an old school rock vibe to it
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited March 2008
    synA7X;461985 said:
    If anyone has listened to the album "Hello Master" by Priestess..it def. has an old school rock vibe to it
    Ive actually listened to the whole thing. I got more of a mid 90's grunge vibe then an old school rock vibe, easily.
  • gusano311gusano311 Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    wolfmother got that seventies vibe as well as nycs bad wizard.
  • k87k87 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    What about Jet? the song "Cold Hard B****" sounds kind of like the who to me.
    edited March 2008
    k87;462150 said:
    What about Jet? the song "Cold Hard B****" sounds kind of like the who to me.
    no way they lack the energy of the Who

I thought they wer're alright. but kinda a rip off of older bands like AC/DC and the stones. And The beatles in the record Shine On (They are just a more amplified bealtes playing pop songs just like them). Just very generic and dident bring anything new to the older music (Like most of the bands in this thread have). Just generic and seeingly created by the garage rock revial scene as a made for MTV band

Buckcherry.... maby..... alright just a little Kinda An Aerosmith rip off if you ask me
    lit up (its not bad)

Airbourne (AC/DC Rip off) but since we havent had any AC/DC lately I like them. They are on a bunch of videogames lately. Skate and Madden as well as others

• AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;462184 said:

Airbourne (AC/DC Rip off) but since we havent had any AC/DC lately I like them. They are on a bunch of videogames lately. Skate and Madden as well as others

I picked up the Airbourne CD along with the Black Tide CD last week. Both are excellent with an old school metal/hard rock feel.
  • partyboydanialpartyboydanial Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    Wolfmother, combine Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Yes, and Led Zeppelin. great band

Airbourne, AC/DC ripoffs

Queens Of The Stone Age, dont know who they remind of but they have a industrial sound kinda like Nine Inch Nails but theyre also a lil bluesy

Buckcherry, Aerosmith ripoffs kinda

Black Tide, mid career Metallica ripoffs (...And Justice For All, Black Album)

Jet, just got a late 60's to mid 70's sound

and

The Pink Spiders, a pop punk band tht some of there songs remind me of The Beatles
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited April 2008
    http://www.myspace.com/crawpuppies

the Crawpuppies from NW Indiana, sound like a classic rock band
  • harper83087harper83087 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    wolfmother is my favorite out of all these new bands with classic vibes..."its everything you want outta the 60's and 70's that never happened" as my buddy puts it haha
  • CM_DrunkCM_Drunk Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Pearl Jam. VERY classic rock sounding. Great friggin band.

I agree with whoever said Wolfmother, they remind me of early Deep Purple at points.

I got a few more on the tip of my tongue, but cant remember, dammit.
  • gorillawarfaregorillawarfare Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    very impressed with rose hill drive, need to get some of their music. But I can't buy from iTunes because xbox doesn't play songs that you buy from itunes
  • StewStew Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Here's some Mars Volta for y'all

this song is severely edited, but it still does the job, so check it out

L'Via L'Viaquez

not all of their stuff is spanish, but most of this album is
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited April 2008

This is a nice live video from a Mars Volta concert. (If someone told me how to show the youtube window that would be cool.)
  • El_Metal_MetalEl_Metal_Metal Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Rose Hill Drive rocks. I just saw the video for cross the line and knew I had to pick up their music. I just picked up their self-titled album on rhapsody. Thanks for turning me on to this band.
  • StewStew Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egFCHJC7TWg

heh I was just watching this. To embed, some videos have some code on the right under a title bar that says embed. Highlight all of it and copy then paste
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited April 2008
  • Space CowboySpace Cowboy Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    For me the best modern bands are:

Los Lonely Boys (FREAKIN AWESOME)

Jet

Year Long Disaster (singer/guitar player is Daniel Davies son of Ray Davies)

Oasis

Black Stone Cherry (these guys rock hard)
    edited April 2008
    Space Cowboy;470274 said:
    For me the best modern bands are:

Year Long Disaster (singer/guitar player is Daniel Davies son of Ray Davies)
    Yeah this band is pretty good. I like some of their songs, but after a while they start to sound too similar, but they are still worth checking out.
  • lilsweetpotatolilsweetpotato Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Les Savy Fav has a song called "The Equestrian" on their latest album thats rockish and has an almost glammy sing along in it.

Somebody mentioned QOTSA in another post and said NIN I think? I, uh, dont actually hear that at all, but they do have that sludgy Sabbath-like geetar sound. But I dont think they are very classic rock sounding really other than that.

And we should all be able to pick up that Bang Camaro (not saying they are good though) blatantly rip-offs Def Leppard.
    edited April 2008
    lilsweetpotato;471885 said:
    Les Savy Fav has a song called "The Equestrian" on their latest album thats rockish and has an almost glammy sing along in it.

Somebody mentioned QOTSA in another post and said NIN I think? I, uh, dont actually hear that at all, but they do have that sludgy Sabbath-like geetar sound. But I dont think they are very classic rock sounding really other than that.

And we should all be able to pick up that Bang Camaro (not saying they are good though) blatantly rip-offs Def Leppard.
    I wouldn't say they are just rip-offs of Def Leppard. If you have heard their entire album they have a lot of heavier stuff, but even on their myspace they say they sound like a lot of other 80s bands. I like them and if you like 80s music than their CD is definitely worth buying.
  • lilsweetpotatolilsweetpotato Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Guess, everything ive heard reminds me of "On through the Night" and "Pyro-mania". Havent heard the whole album but heard a handful of songs, other than the RB track.

But then again I remember everyone saying the Strokes sounded like Television and I really dont think they did at all, maybe slightly on "Is this it" but only very slightly.
    edited April 2008
    lilsweetpotato;471903 said:
    Guess, everything ive heard reminds me of "On through the Night" and "Pyro-mania". Havent heard the whole album but heard a handful of songs, other than the RB track.

But then again I remember everyone saying the Strokes sounded like Television and I really dont think they did at all, maybe slightly on "Is this it" but only very slightly.
    This is from Bang Camaro's myspace:

"Boston’s Bang Camaro is more than a metal band. It is its own metal universe: a self-contained cosmos encompassing the last quarter-century of metal -- pop metal, hair metal, speed metal, thrash metal, glam metal -- writ large, proud, and loud.

Yes, you’ve heard all the riffs before, back when you were a kid hanging in a heavy-metal parking lot in the ’burbs, cranking Dio or Iron Maiden . Like fellow throwbacks Waltham and Damone, Bang Camaro -- a supergroup of sorts consisting of members of some of Boston’s best past and present rock bands (the Good North, Model Sons, Taxpayer) -- is all about the good times that were shunted aside and put away as "adulthood" beckoned.

The Camaro’s debut full-length rights this wrong with tracks like the Thin Lizzy-esque "Rock of Mages," the narcissistic grandeur of "You Know I Like My Band," and, of course, a power ballad ingeniously titled "The Ballad." Fear not: Bang Camaro has come to save our sorry, rock-depleted souls, and it’s taking no prisoners."

http://www.myspace.com/bangcamaro

Basically they admit that they rip off of other bands, but they add it all together to make a general 80s sound. I personally love the metal from the 80s so Bang Camaro is great for me and their first CD was awesome, but if you don't like 80s music your probably not going to like them. Also is 80s music considered classic now?
    edited April 2008
    Alright here is round 2 for my new bands. I am not only going to post bands that sound like straight classic rock. I'm going to post some bands across some different genres as well.

The Teeth: The Teeth is a punk rock band from Philadelphia. Some of their influences include Brian Wilson, Talking Heads, Bowie, and the Beatles.

The Coolest Kid in School:

/////////////////////////////////////
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Dan Sartain: "Dan Sartain is an American rock and roll musician from Birmingham, Alabama. His music encompasses a variety of genres including rockabilly and blues."-Wikipedia

Replacement Man:

////////////////////////////////////
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Jose Gonzalas: This guy is a great new folk artist, but he also has a great Spanish feel to him.

Killing for Love:

///////////////////////////////////
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The Go! Team: "The Go! Team are an English, Brighton-based six piece band (with two drummers) whose songs are a mixture of action theme songs, cheerleader chants, guitars and early hip hop, with a hint of '70s funk. Their songs are a mix of live instrumentation and samples from various sources." -Wikipedia

Ladyfish:

//////////////////////////////////
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The Virgins: This band has a great funk feel to them.

Rich Girls:

//////////////////////////////////
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I have a couple more bands that I will save for later.
    edited April 2008
    Well I guess Ill do round 3. Same thing as I did before bands that have classic sounds from other genres than just rock.

The Budos Band: "The Budos Band are an "Instrumental Staten-Island Afro-Soul" outfit recording on the Daptone Records label. The band has eleven members (up to thirteen members at times) who play instrumental music that is self-described as "Afro-Soul," a term and sound which - in a recent interview - baritone saxaphone player Jared Tankel elucidates as, being drawn from Ethiopian music the band had been listening to that had a soul undercurrent to it, which the band then "sprinkled a little bit of sweet 60's stuff on top" of." -Wikipedia

Volcano Song:

----------------------------------------
    Blitzen Trapper:"Blitzen Trapper is a Portland, Oregon-based experimental folk band signed to Sub Pop Records.[1] Formed in 2000, the band currently operates as a sextet" - Wikipedia

Wild Mountain Nation:

-----------------------------------------
    Brett Dennen: "Brett Dennen (born 1979) is a folk/pop singer-songwriter from Oakdale, California. He has been compared to Bob Dylan, Tracy Chapman, Jack Johnson, James Taylor, and Wynonna Judd." - Wikipedia

Ain't No Reason:

This guy is probably my second favourite new "classic" artist other than Rose Hill Drive. I picked up both of his CDs and they were great.
    -------------------------------------------
    Howlin Rain: "Howlin' Rain is a San Fransico band[1] which formed in 2004 and released their first - self titled - album in 2006.[2] Described as "classically soulful"[3] Howlin' Rain are currently signed with Rick Rubin to the Columbia Records subset American Recordings. Subsequent releases by the band will be handled jointly between American Recordings and the indie label Birdman Records[4]. The band's second album Magnificent Fiend was released on March 3, 2008 and has been described as a "combination of psychedelia, blues, funk and classic 1970s arena rock."[5]"-Wikipedia

Dancers (live):

It's hard to find a decent quality live video of these guys. The main song starts at about 1:55.