Pink Floyd vs Yes

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited April 2008 in History of Rock
Ok, there are lots of threads with "who is the better band" themes. Now, how about we break them down. Who has the better bass, drums, vocals, and guitar?

Ok, progressive rock megagroups battle time.

Pink Floyd
Named after Pink Anderson and Floyd Council, formed in 1964, with Syd Barrett on guitar, Roger Waters on bass, Rick Wright on Keyboards, and Nick Mason on drums. They released one album with Syd but he was kicked out of the band in 1968, after adding David Gilmour to the lineup on guitar. In the 70s, Pink Floyd was one of the biggest groups on the planet, they released an album that's been on the charts since its release in 1973, Dark Side of the Moon. They invented the laser light show, too. Waters left in the 80s and the band continued on until calling it quits in 1990s. Magnum Opus - Dark Side of the Moon

Rick Wright - keyboards
Roger Waters - bass
David Gilmour - guitar
Nick Mason - drums

1


2





3


4


5



Yes
Formed in 1968 as a flower pop band, they switched to playing progressive rock while opening for Cream. They had a rhythm section that would be considered one of the best with Squire and Bruford. Steve Howe is usually listed as an underrated guitarist. Rick Wakeman is a great pianist. They had a breakup and went through many lineup changes. Magnum Opus - Fragile

Jon Anderson - vocals
Rick Wakeman - keyboards
Chris Squire - bass
Steve Howe - guitar
Bill Bruford - drums

1


2


3





4


5




Ok, now vote for who is the better of the musicians in their respected categories (DO NOT CLICK THEM ALL)

Songwriting:
Rick Wright/David Gilmour/Roger Waters - Pink Floyd
Jon Anderson/Steve Howe/Rick Wakeman/Bill Bruford - Yes

Guitar:
David Gilmour - Pink Floyd
Steve Howe - Yes

Keyboards:
Rick Wright - Pink Floyd
Rick Wakeman - Yes

Rhythm Section:
Roger Waters (bass) Nick Mason (drums) - Pink Floyd
Christ Squire (bas) Bill Bruford (drums) - Yes

and
Overall:
Pink Floyd
Yes

Comments

  • DSOTMDSOTM Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    going with pink floyd on this one
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    my opinion is really biased because I love Floyd so much. I would like to suggest that you slow down and wait a couple days before you make then next one, because your threads are just going to sink down the forums if you make too many in one day.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2008
    polishdog90;457788 said:
    my opinion is really biased because I love Floyd so much. I would like to suggest that you slow down and wait a couple days before you make then next one, because your threads are just going to sink down the forums if you make too many in one day.
    i figure some of the next ones i will do are Talking Heads vs Blondie, Clash vs Sex Pistols
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    I'm having a hard time understanding these poll results. Rick Wright better than Rick Wakeman???!!! :eek: Mason and Waters better than Squire and Bruford :eek: :eek:

    A reminder, folks: there are two guitar players permanently enshrined in Guitar Player magazine's hall of fame because they won the annual award five years in a row: Steve Morse and Steve Howe. Gilmour's tasty, but Howe is something else entirely.

    Still -- I voted Floyd better on songwriting and narrowly better overall. If Yes had a better lyricist I might have voted for them.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2008
    OldFogey;457880 said:
    I'm having a hard time understanding these poll results. Rick Wright better than Rick Wakeman???!!! :eek: Mason and Waters better than Squire and Bruford :eek: :eek:

    A reminder, folks: there are two guitar players permanently enshrined in Guitar Player magazine's hall of fame because they won the annual award five years in a row: Steve Morse and Steve Howe. Gilmour's tasty, but Howe is something else entirely.

    Still -- I voted Floyd better on songwriting and narrowly better overall. If Yes had a better lyricist I might have voted for them.
    Wright is in no way better than Wakeman in my opinion, Wright is good tho, but not nearly as good as Wakeman

    I think some ppl are just picking all Pink Floyd members because they don't know Yes
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    a21schizoidman;457889 said:
    Wright is in no way better than Wakeman in my opinion, Wright is good tho, but not nearly as good as Wakeman

    I think some ppl are just picking all Pink Floyd members because they don't know Yes
    That's a reasonable guess. BTW -- thanks for putting songwriting on this list.

    And check out my vote on your fusion guitarist thread (BTW -- Steve Morse was a killer fusion guitarist in the Dixie Dregs).
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2008
    OldFogey;457900 said:
    That's a reasonable guess. BTW -- thanks for putting songwriting on this list.

    And check out my vote on your fusion guitarist thread (BTW -- Steve Morse was a killer fusion guitarist in the Dixie Dregs).
    no prob, this one the rhythm section is a lil easier to vote on anyways, and I think the songwriting is equal, even the guitar is fairly equal, I just think Gilmour has a lil edge


    and about Wakeman, I think he is my 2nd favorite on piano and third on the moog

    Moog 1)MORT GARSON 2)KEITH EMERSON!!!


    and totally spaced on the Dixie Dregs man, yeah Morse was an amazing guitarist
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited March 2008
    a21schizoidman;457915 said:
    no prob, this one the rhythm section is a lil easier to vote on anyways, and I think the songwriting is equal, even the guitar is fairly equal, I just think Gilmour has a lil edge
    I think where FLoyd had the edge in songwriting is in lyrics. And it's a big edge. Those obtuse Anderson lyrics really get to me after a while. And the singers are easier on the ear. But Yes' music is way more fun and interesting to me than Floyd's.

    I can see voting for Gilmour. His tone is definitely more accessible in a rock setting. But no way he can touch Howe technically. I don't always vote on technique, but when technique and musicality meet up like they do in Howe, that's what I vote for.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2008
    OldFogey;457936 said:
    I think where FLoyd had the edge in songwriting is in lyrics. And it's a big edge. Those obtuse Anderson lyrics really get to me after a while. And the singers are easier on the ear. But Yes' music is way more fun and interesting to me than Floyd's.

    I can see voting for Gilmour. His tone is definitely more accessible in a rock setting. But no way he can touch Howe technically. I don't always vote on technique, but when technique and musicality meet up like they do in Howe, that's what I vote for.
    I saw Gilmour playing with Les Paul in 88 and he even blew him away, straightforward as a blues-rock player he beats Howe in sound, but yeah, Howe has the technique edge by far.
  • partyboydanialpartyboydanial Rising Star
    edited March 2008
    easily pink floyd, yes is good but easily pink floyd.
    although i gave the rhthym section vote to Yes, only because Squire is unbelievable. not the roger waters isnt great to but almost nobody beats Squire except the selected few
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited April 2008
  • usandthemusandthem Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    partyboydanial;458927 said:
    easily pink floyd, yes is good but easily pink floyd.
    although i gave the rhthym section vote to Yes, only because Squire is unbelievable. not the roger waters isnt great to but almost nobody beats Squire except the selected few
    I agree with you. I think Chris Squire is an exceptional bass player. I just had to throw the rhythm section vote to Nick Masons drumming.;)
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    usandthem;479513 said:
    I agree with you. I think Chris Squire is an exceptional bass player. I just had to throw the rhythm section vote to Nick Masons drumming.;)
    Mason over Bruford? :eek:
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    OldFogey;479547 said:
    Mason over Bruford? :eek:
    I voted Mason over Bruford. It's not that Mason is more technically skilled, but I love his fills and I think his drumming fits the music perfectly.

    I didn't vote for Steve How (because I love Gilmour so much), but I do love this piece on guitar:

    Mood for a Day:


  • usandthemusandthem Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    [QUOTE=polishdog90;480266]I voted Mason over Bruford. It's not that Mason is more technically skilled, but I love his fills and I think his drumming fits the music perfectly.

    I didn't vote for Steve How (because I love Gilmour so much), but I do love this piece on guitar:


    yeah, I think I just like Masons fills better as well. I saw Yes in concert 3 times and think they were great each time, and Steve Howe is awesome.
    I think it may depend on my mood at the time of listening;)
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    a21schizoidman;457889 said:
    I think some ppl are just picking all Pink Floyd members because they don't know Yes
    Yes, I think some people do so, but I voted for Wright even though I know Yes. He's not a faster player, but he played some damn good slow stuff. His keyboard is also more present I think in Pink Floyd, like in sheep or Great Gig in the Sky.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Damn, this is extremelly hard. I think here it is an emotion battle. Those two bands are different, even though both are considered to be prog. I say completely different. I can't really express why I prefer Pink Floyd. I know that Yes has overall better players and I love them, but when i listen to PF, I cry. I don't cry on Yes.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited April 2008
    Overall, Pink Floyd is the best here.

    Look at my profile and my "Desert Island" albums. 3/5 of them are from the Floyd. Pink Floyd's music tends to relax me, and even though some of the lyrics can be dark (look at "The Wall"), it is still great music.
Sign In or Register to comment.