Bioshock, review please

MartyMcFlyMartyMcFly Rising Star
edited September 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
Hi all, so there's a dozen Bioshock threads, but all are about specifics in-game, and spoilers. I'm just looking for a basic review.

To start, I am not big into 1st person games, especially shooters. I did, and still, enjoy Oblivion even though that is 1st person as well.

The trailers and gameplay videos I've seen of Bioshock are very appealing, and the game seems a lot more than just blowing up stuff and killing.

I just didn't want to be mislead, does the game stay true to itself? I love puzzle solving, strategic games, and I believe that's where Bioshock lies.

Does this game appeal to all audiences? And am I going to crap my pants whenever something jumps out? :eek:

Any review and/or opinions help. Thanks!

Comments

• LZ_RebornLZ_Reborn Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    I haven't played this game I don't even own a 360 I have a PS3, but I read GI's review in this month's issue, and they made it game of the month a perfect 10 score!! they rarely give that kind of score, I'm very impressed. I wish I could play it, to bad it's a 360 exclusive. :(
  • FallenAceFallenAce Eater of Fine Cheeses
    edited September 2007
    My take on BioShock, as having played through once on normal:

The game is EXCELLENT, but it is a standard FPS. There is not a lot of puzzle-solving. There are a few places where you will spend your time running from one side of the (massive) stage to the other collecting 3 or 4 items to make one new item.

Story development is done predominantly by collecting recordings laying around. The necessary ones you will find in your path to the goal, the interesting ones you will have to dig around for.

What makes this game shine is that if you were to go fight a bad guy, such as a big daddy, you'd probably try to figure out a good strategy to kill it. Once you felt like there must be a better way, you'll hit up a forum and ask around, or find the topic that already exists. You'll then see about 53 suggestions from people completely different than the way you do it.

Ultimately, you're going to be running around huge stages killing anything that moves, and trying to appropriate your resources to buy your favorite upgrades. The fun is finding your favorite way to kill, getting bored of it and coming up with an all-new favorite way to kill. By the end of the game, I was able to makes splicers stick to the ceiling, dead.

There aren't a lot of startling moments in the game, and all the boss battles are easy. Don't expect any massively challenging bosses.

The replay value is low, IMO, because there are a whopping two endings, and if you play the game right, you can make the difference occur about an hour before the end of the game. There is no "Plus" mode or anything either. Also, no multiplayer.

I'd honestly give this game a 9.5/10 if you're talking about a single player game. If you want an excellent game with fantastic graphics, gameplay and a creepy 50's ambience, it rocks. Just keep in mind it took me about 20 hours, and I'm a casual gamer.

I bought it. I loved it. I don't regret it, but by the end of the game for me, Blue Dragon came out the same day and I just wanted it to be over so I could move to the next game.

If you're on the fence, rent it man. Rent it for a week and play all the way through.
  • LateralLateral Unsigned
    edited September 2007
    LZ_Reborn;54518 said:
    I wish I could play it, to bad it's a 360 exclusive. :(
    It's not a 360 exclusive, it's on the PC as well.
  • PhiromosPhiromos Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    bioshock...great graphics...in-depth story...but too repetitive for me...not enough to spark my interest like halo 3 will..you beat it and thats basically it your done with it..thats what happened with me anyway
  • MartyMcFlyMartyMcFly Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    Thank you FallenAce, very well put. I am indeed on the fence. I thought there would be different strategies and puzzle solving, however, apparently that's just different ways to kill.

I'm kind of picky when it comes to games, I generally prefer 3rd person games. I just didn't know if this game was overhyped. Sometimes a game could be extraordinarily good, but only for it's genre. (Halo)

But I'll throw it on my GameFly list and give it a shot. It has to be different than your typical run-n-gun I'm sure.

Thanks!

EDIT: A lot of times with no multiplayer, role playing, and non free roaming game mode, games can be beat and then done with. Unless you just want to play the story mode over again.
    It's probably a "must rent"
  • gh2masterwellalmostgh2masterwellalmost Road Warrior
    edited September 2007
    MartyMcFly;54509 said:
    Hi all, so there's a dozen Bioshock threads, but all are about specifics in-game, and spoilers. I'm just looking for a basic review.

To start, I am not big into 1st person games, especially shooters. I did, and still, enjoy Oblivion even though that is 1st person as well.

The trailers and gameplay videos I've seen of Bioshock are very appealing, and the game seems a lot more than just blowing up stuff and killing.

I just didn't want to be mislead, does the game stay true to itself? I love puzzle solving, strategic games, and I believe that's where Bioshock lies.

Does this game appeal to all audiences? And am I going to crap my pants whenever something jumps out? :eek:

Any review and/or opinions help. Thanks!
    A fantastic game, but the story is short and other than filling achievements you won't want to play through more than twice. Its gameplay will never match the industry standard - Halo for example, but its incredible story and rollercoaster adventure will stick with you for a long time.

Graphics: 10/10 Fantastic. Nuff said.
    Sound: 10/10 The thing that makes the gameplay gel is the great voice acting.
    Gameplay: 8/10 A good gameplay, but not brilliant.
    Story: 10/10 Best Story Game. Ever.
    Lifespan: 6.5/10 Its weak point.
    Reviewer's Tilt 9/10 The experience is great and last you a long time.

Overall 9/10 - Strongly recommended.

Alternatives Available: Halo Triple Pack; Half Life 2.
  • MartyMcFlyMartyMcFly Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    gh2masterwellalmost;54600 said:

Alternatives Available: Halo Triple Pack; Half Life 2.
    This is what turns me off. I'll definitely rent Bioshock, but I won't make the mistake of purchasing it like I did with Halo 2 (flame away). As they are incredible games, but at the same time they are only for a particular audience.

I wanted to find out if Bioshock was just another 1st person shooter, or a new action/adventure/thriller game with just a 1st person setting. It appears to be the first of the two.

But I have heard multiple times great things about the voice acting, and the story line being rock solid, and it keeps you drawn in all the way through.

Thanks.
  • edited September 2007
    First off, I'd like to say BioShock is the best game I've ever played. Better than any Halo, GTA, Guitar Hero, or Gears of War for sure. It's graphics are amazing and sometimes very macabre. The atmosphere is creepy, and very scary. I absolutely loved seeing the giant shadow of a splicer hacking away at a corpse only to jump into the rafters right before you see them.

This game's story is very original, a modern Atlantis that's been taken over by power-hungry fiends. The plasmid/eve system is awesome, but it is frustrating when you run out.

The Big Daddies are impossible to kill. I've only killed one. After the fact I had one first aid kit and one Eve Hypo. The choice between killing the Little Sisters and saving her is not a big deal, it stimulated no emotion in me. All you see is Jack raising his hand then the screen goes green.

All in all, awesome game. Buy it.
  • arniejoltarniejolt Weird-Huey Lewis
    edited September 2007
    If you need a really creative review, here's one from The Escapist's Zero Punctuation...just to make things clear, he actually likes the game, please try to remember that while you're rofl as he brings up his nitpicks like a Big Daddy doing a body slam.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1394-Zero-Punctuation-BioShock
  • DShizzle1029DShizzle1029 Opening Act
    edited September 2007
    Dont forget you can manipulate Big Daddies to be on your side and you can instigate battles between your enemies if you play your cards right.
  • edited September 2007
    arniejolt;54646 said:
    If you need a really creative review, here's one from The Escapist's Zero Punctuation...just to make things clear, he actually likes the game, please try to remember that while you're rofl as he brings up his nitpicks like a Big Daddy doing a body slam.

That's funny but completely truthful!
  • edited September 2007
    arniejolt;54646 said:

lol, i just came here to post that video. I love all his reviews.