Why I think there is no double bass (at least not yet)

edited September 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
From what I was thinking, a couple reasons that double bass is not implemented yet:

first of all, it's the first rock band - this gives them room to expand upon the game in sequels (not to mention adding keyboard!)

second, people need time to first get to expert on drums as it is.. it gives them time to master it now and let the difficulty ramp up more in the next game for more challenge.

third, obviously there isn't much if any metal, so why add a feature they won't use much.. but then again, this could be one of the main reasons (this, and the vocals) that there is no metal. Bah.

of course, I'd love to know the REAL reason that it's not included, but I obviously think one of these reasons could have heavily influenced the decision.

Comments

• Emo_ReaperEmo_Reaper Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    Well,plain and simple,alot of people want it,and a lot of people couldn't use it. It requires great coordination,and unreal drummers sittin down for the first time couldnt do it all that well. And just like after a LaserQuest lockin,all you see is lazers flashing in your head.So bass note after bass note,youd get sick and tired of neon orange.
  • FreQstarFreQstar Unsigned
    edited September 2007
    I think it was probably a cost vs. usage issue as well.

If strictly used as a 2nd base pedal it wouldn't be used in most genres and if alternately used as an open/close hi hat (sorry if that's not the right terminology, not a drummer) even if it comes up in a hell of a lot more songs it probably wouldn't even be used until expert (in either double bass/ hi hat set up). They probably had a target cost they didn't want to exceed so they had to prioritize.

But hey you never know, They may still sell an extra pedal down the line.
  • edited September 2007
    Wow, people are still bitching about a double bass?
  • SaltinesSaltines Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    Julio-Claudius;55100 said:
    Wow, people are still bitching about a double bass?
    No ones really bitching about it, they are discussing why it wont be implemented.

And wow, I'm amazingly tired of seeing those crazy frog bros.
  • edited September 2007
    Saltines;55113 said:
    No ones really bitching about it, they are discussing why it wont be implemented.

And wow, I'm amazingly tired of seeing those crazy frog bros.
    Frog Bros? I always thought the older one was just Julio, lol
  • edited September 2007
    The hardware is near finalized, and has been agonized over for months by teams of people. Because a fringe drummer group "thinks" a second pedal is needed does not override the collective efforts of the whole hardware team.

Guitars have more than 5 hand positions, and yet a "dumbed down" guitar controller with only 5 frets has done just fine. It is not unreasonable to consider a similar situation for this controller.

Even with 1 pedal, people have already remarked that drums are incredibly difficult. Imagine that difficulty going up an order of magnitude with another pedal. Last I checked, they're trying to make the game as accessible as possible to a broad audience, not appeal to some niche RL drummer crowd.
  • DarK_AssassiNDarK_AssassiN Opening Act
    edited September 2007
    Apples;55144 said:
    The hardware is near finalized, and has been agonized over for months by teams of people. Because a fringe drummer group "thinks" a second pedal is needed does not override the collective efforts of the whole hardware team.

Guitars have more than 5 hand positions, and yet a "dumbed down" guitar controller with only 5 frets has done just fine. It is not unreasonable to consider a similar situation for this controller.

Even with 1 pedal, people have already remarked that drums are incredibly difficult. Imagine that difficulty going up an order of magnitude with another pedal. Last I checked, they're trying to make the game as accessible as possible to a broad audience, not appeal to some niche RL drummer crowd.
    Agreed. Really, this is a game and not a real life rock band simulator. It's made to have fun with, and I think one pedal will be fine. Sure, a second pedal would be awesome, but to many people would have problems with it....
  • Kang_ZirconKang_Zircon Opening Act
    edited September 2007
    Not only would it be a lot harder, but I think it would be a lot more difficult to make a drumset that comfortably fits both small children and full-grown adults without making the second pedal a separate piece. I'm worried about how cumbersome the drums are going to be as it is.