Rock Band Forums: Code of Conduct

HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
edited April 2008 in Announcements
http://www.rockband.com/forum-rules

Read it, love it, learn it.

Give us your feedback. These are *your* forums as much as they are ours. If you see something missing from that list, or wish to have a semantic argument about what a "troll" is, then please respond to this thread. Consider this part 1 of a work in progress, designed to outline expected behavior here on the Rock Band forums.

Again, if you feel something is missing or you wish to sound off on the subject of forum etiquette and rules, please respond to this thread.

Also, check out this sweet article I read earlier this morning:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3604/fixing_online_gaming_idiocy_a_.php?page=1

There's a lot of pretty relevant community-related stuff in there (it should be required reading for signing up here ;))

Comments

  • litaljohnlitaljohn Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Bowiefanperson;474672 said:
    U know when I play online I don't hear any cursing and stuf on PSN. These experiances must be on Live right?
    no. they are on both systems, usually dependent on the game in general. The more popular a game the more influx you would have of undesirable people. Generally Rock band people tend to be nices but for example call of duty you will have individuals with poor taste on both systems


    My only thought on the forum rules is that I love the wording of one rule.
    " - Posting misleading links (“Rick Rolling”)"

    Haha how depressing is it that we now had to make and use the term "Rick Rolling" in making forum
    guidelines....



    Edit: The only thing I would question regarding bumping is that sometimes there is a time dependant variable involved. I know sometimes I'll be up late at night and occasionaly you will see posts that no one really even gets the chance to view and open for discussion. I have seen people post in the early early morning and the general tendancy of them would be to create their own thread and inevetably bumping the other few peoples threads back further and by the time more people come on, it is already back a few pages. In this situation, the user can not bump the thread to try to create a discussion and at the same time they would not really be able to start a new thread later, because it is also listed that repeated threads would be closed...... maybe something like "repetitive bumping" would be better placed? I dunno just throwing it out there
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited April 2008
    One more question(not so serious, but I'd be curious what the answer is): Can we post a link to rick astley's video if we say it is rick astley(aka rick roll)?

    On gamefaqs they have this rule, but they moderate it quite literally. Not only can you not pull a rick roll, but you'll get modded for posting it even if you say it is rick astley.
  • BearclawBearclaw Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    I have two questions, one about advertising and another about bumping threads.

    The first, advertising. Why can't users advertise a website as long as it contains no offensive material or belittles the game, the site, HMX or MTV games? I just recently began my own fan site, only to find my topic locked because it falls under the terms of advertisement. Can we get an omission for fan sites, or am I just going to have to look elsewhere for members? What about a the link in my sig to my site, is that against the rules as well?

    A lot of forums I go to (including my own) allow double posting if a given time period has passed and new information relevant to the discussion needs to be shared. Could something like this be added as an addendum to the rules?

    Thanks in advance for any replies.

    Edit: The second link is a good read, I can agree with most of the points. I recall playing Rock Band and getting kicked because I used a female avatar. I was also once kicked for not having a usable mic (the adapter doesn't work).
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited April 2008
    I think for the point of advertising, I don't see why you can't post a link as long as the site:

    isn't selling anything

    isn't offering any type of promotion(free or otherwise)

    isn't for sign up to a service

    etc.

    If it is a fan site for this game that doesn't include any of those, it shouldn't be advertising. You are trying to get people to check out what you have about the game. You aren't trying to get them to do any of the above.
  • RagAndBoneRagAndBone Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    "- Posting misleading links (“Rick Rolling”)"

    Rick Astley takes offense to that rule. :D
  • carlos spencercarlos spencer Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    its funny, you link a website that has profanity.
  • AllIWantIsU2AllIWantIsU2 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    "Objectionable Material: is comprised of any strong language considered to be offensive and/or objectionable, or clearly circumvents the profanity filter."

    You've GOT to be joking right? With all of the songs you could pick from last month, you chose to release "Beethoven's C***", and now you want to create a rule banning the use "of any strong language considered to be offensive and/or objectionable, or clearly circumvents the profanity filter"?

    Ironic that you chose something that is both objectionable AND that was disguised to "clearly circumvent the profanity filter."

    I love this game and this site, but someone needs to pull their head out of their posterior on this one. Take your pick, but if you chose the moral high ground, then don't release songs with the very language you are seeking to ban from the forums.

    Hypocrisy thy name is Harmonix.
  • barbaraann72barbaraann72 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    I agree with the whole searching before posting comment.

    It seems to be something that really gets under the cyber-skin of longtime members.

    However, in the defense of new members -- the search function isn't the easiest thing to see. Perhaps we could have a FAQ stickied at the top of the RB forum. That forum is the first stop for a new member.

    For example, this thread was created while I was writing this message:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41183
  • dome420dome420 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    May I remind everyone this is "Rock Band" and not "String Quartet"
    What Rock Band do you know that filters out bad language???
    So lets make the rules for Rock Band very simple......

    1st RULE: You do not talk about ROCK BAND.

    2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about ROCK BAND.

    3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the song is over.

    4th RULE: Only two guys to a tug of war.

    5th RULE: One battle at a time.

    6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.

    7th RULE: Battles will go on as long as they have to.

    8th RULE: If this is your first night at ROCK BAND, you HAVE to rock.
  • Ulrick1981Ulrick1981 Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Great article...I don't play online anmore because I don't have time...but I remember that is was a big problem when I was.
  • AllIWantIsU2AllIWantIsU2 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    dome420;476139 said:
    May I remind everyone this is "Rock Band" and not "String Quartet"
    What Rock Band do you know that filters out bad language???
    Sorry, aside from your reference to Fight Club, I don't understand your post at all. Are you saying that you agree it is ridiculous that Harmonix wants to police the forums for certain language while at the same time releasing songs containing that same level of profanity for this "rated T for Teen" game? Or are you saying you are fine with the apparent contradiction in policies?

    Lest anyone misunderstand me, I'm perfectly capable of spewing forth a string of profanities that would make a sailor blush. At the same time, there is a time and place for everything and I can understand wanting to maintain a certain decorum on a public forum. But by the same token, I just don't appreciate being told to watch what I say by a company that turns around and releases a song with the ridiculous and offensive title "Beethoven's C***". Harmonix, if you want to make a big deal about appealing to a "T for Teen" audience then show some consistency.
  • DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    *SARCASM*

    I don't like these rules. I mean, I was wanting to generally insult people, peppering my speech with words and phrases appropriate to a thirteen year-old, making homophobic slurs, spewing racial epithets, putting down any and all religions, and saying things about everyone's mothers (your mom, too, Johnlok).

    After all, I participate in these types of activities on XBox Live all the time along with the majority of XBox Live members, so why can't I do it here?

    */SARCASM*
  • DesaevioDesaevio Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    A long time coming. *slow clap* Well played, clerks...
  • HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
    edited April 2008
    Bearclaw;474931 said:
    I have two questions, one about advertising and another about bumping threads.

    The first, advertising. Why can't users advertise a website as long as it contains no offensive material or belittles the game, the site, HMX or MTV games? I just recently began my own fan site, only to find my topic locked because it falls under the terms of advertisement. Can we get an omission for fan sites, or am I just going to have to look elsewhere for members? What about a the link in my sig to my site, is that against the rules as well?

    A lot of forums I go to (including my own) allow double posting if a given time period has passed and new information relevant to the discussion needs to be shared. Could something like this be added as an addendum to the rules?

    Thanks in advance for any replies.

    Edit: The second link is a good read, I can agree with most of the points. I recall playing Rock Band and getting kicked because I used a female avatar. I was also once kicked for not having a usable mic (the adapter doesn't work).
    Fansites are fine - mostly this applies to vendors, eBay links, and pyramid schemes.
  • HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
    edited April 2008
    AllIWantIsU2;476078 said:
    "Objectionable Material: is comprised of any strong language considered to be offensive and/or objectionable, or clearly circumvents the profanity filter."

    You've GOT to be joking right? With all of the songs you could pick from last month, you chose to release "Beethoven's C***", and now you want to create a rule banning the use "of any strong language considered to be offensive and/or objectionable, or clearly circumvents the profanity filter"?

    Ironic that you chose something that is both objectionable AND that was disguised to "clearly circumvent the profanity filter."

    I love this game and this site, but someone needs to pull their head out of their posterior on this one. Take your pick, but if you chose the moral high ground, then don't release songs with the very language you are seeking to ban from the forums.

    Hypocrisy thy name is Harmonix.
    I should clarify - we let a lot slide on this one. When profanity is relevant and/or non-abusive, we are pretty lenient. If there's profanity for the sake of profanity, and/or it's directed in an abusive fashion, that's when the rule is applied.
  • AllIWantIsU2AllIWantIsU2 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    barbaraann72;476286 said:
    AllIWantisU2 --

    Got your point the first time. ;)

    All they are asking is that you abide by their few and simple rules. HMX's game and HMX's message board, they can "break" the rules if they want. We can't.

    Did that make sense? (still haven't had enough caffeine)
    So are WE allowed to talk about the song "Beethoven's C***"? It's offensive and deliberately circumvents the profanity filter, right?

    I know I'm being a pain, and maybe not making any sense. I fully support making these boards as pleasant a place to post as possible, and I have no desire to use abusive or offensive language on the boards. But I found it ridiculous when they released that song in the first place, and doubly so now that they want to make a rule about profanities.

    On a personal note barbaraann72, is Terrapin Station a real location, or are you showing that you are a Terps fan? (asking as a U. of Maryland, class of 88 alum).
  • Weeksy77Weeksy77 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    "I should clarify - we let a lot slide on this one. When profanity is relevant and/or non-abusive, we are pretty lenient. If there's profanity for the sake of profanity, and/or it's directed in an abusive fashion, that's when the rule is applied."


    Very true - it's easily noticable here on the boards when an expletive is being directed towards a particular person or group, as opposed to an exclamatory remark or general description "Holy F**k! You mean Led Zeppelin is really gonna be in the game?" As opposed to "'F' Led Zeppelin, and 'F' the lot of you as well!"
  • HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
    edited April 2008
    AllIWantIsU2;476359 said:
    So are WE allowed to talk about the song "Beethoven's C***"? It's offensive and deliberately circumvents the profanity filter, right?

    I know I'm being a pain, and maybe not making any sense. I fully support making these boards as pleasant a place to post as possible, and I have no desire to use abusive or offensive language on the boards. But I found it ridiculous when they released that song in the first place, and doubly so now that they want to make a rule about profanities.

    On a personal note barbaraann72, is Terrapin Station a real location, or are you showing that you are a Terps fan? (asking as a U. of Maryland, class of 88 alum).
    Let me quote from the top of the rules:
    therulez! said:
    The Rock Band Community Team (RBCT), including any non-employed community moderator volunteers, reserves the right to interpret and apply the code of conduct on a case-by-case basis
    We understand that rules do not (and probably cannot) cover every single case. It's best to live by the spirit of the law rather than by the letter.

    edit: I also want to add that these rules have been very loosely in place for a long time now. The purpose in posting them was simply to let people in on what our basic guidelines are when moderating.
  • AllIWantIsU2AllIWantIsU2 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    HMXJohnlok;476357 said:
    I should clarify - we let a lot slide on this one. When profanity is relevant and/or non-abusive, we are pretty lenient. If there's profanity for the sake of profanity, and/or it's directed in an abusive fashion, that's when the rule is applied.
    OK, my last post crossed yours, so this is making a little more sense. I guess it raises the spectre of Harmonix deciding what is and isn't acceptable, but I will have to live with that. Thanks for the response.

    (I still think Beethoven's C*** was over the line and unnecessary, and hope you'll consider not repeating that type of song in the future. Whatever - Rock on!)
  • HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
    edited April 2008
    AllIWantIsU2;476371 said:
    (I still think Beethoven's C*** was over the line and unnecessary, and hope you'll consider not repeating that type of song in the future. Whatever - Rock on!)
    Fair enough - and believe me, the point is well taken. I usually tug at my collar and glance about when discussing this song (at least the title).
  • Weeksy77Weeksy77 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    HMXJohnlok;476378 said:
    Fair enough - and believe me, the point is well taken. I usually tug at my collar and glance about when discussing this song (at least the title).

    Now - forgive me for asking this, obviously the game isn't out here yet, but from the You Tube videos - isn't the title also edited to C***, and from what I can hear, there's no actual use of the word in the song either - is that right?

    I just think some people can be a little sensitive on occasion - my apologies if the word is in there - but people may take offense to the line of "Drivin' that train, High on Cocaine" in "Casey Jones" as well, so it's a case of "Where do you draw the line?" - I think the filtering on songs through "Rock Band" so far has been pretty good overall.
  • barbaraann72barbaraann72 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    AllIWantIsU2;476359 said:
    On a personal note barbaraann72, is Terrapin Station a real location, or are you showing that you are a Terps fan? (asking as a U. of Maryland, class of 88 alum).
    None of the above! It's a Grateful Dead reference.

    btw-- I deleted my post, cause John said it better!
  • HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
    edited April 2008
    Weeksy77;476394 said:
    Now - forgive me for asking this, obviously the game isn't out here yet, but from the You Tube videos - isn't the title also edited to C***, and from what I can hear, there's no actual use of the word in the song either - is that right?

    I just think some people can be a little sensitive on occasion - my apologies if the word is in there - but people may take offense to the line of "Drivin' that train, High on Cocaine" in "Casey Jones" as well, so it's a case of "Where do you draw the line?" - I think the filtering on songs through "Rock Band" so far has been pretty good overall.
    Yeah, it's only in the title.

    As to your second point: yeah, it gets pretty sticky.
  • AllIWantIsU2AllIWantIsU2 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    HMXJohnlok;476412 said:
    As to your second point: yeah, it gets pretty sticky.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I realize it will seem inconsistent, but I like Green Day, and I'm not particularly offended when they drop f-bombs in their lyrics. But the Beethoven song really bugged me.

    Thanks Barbaraann72 - I don't know the Grateful Dead's lyrics very well, so I didn't get that reference.
  • jsorgejsorge Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    bonethug0108;474798 said:
    One more question(not so serious, but I'd be curious what the answer is): Can we post a link to rick astley's video if we say it is rick astley(aka rick roll)?

    On gamefaqs they have this rule, but they moderate it quite literally. Not only can you not pull a rick roll, but you'll get modded for posting it even if you say it is rick astley.
    Yeah, personally I don't even understand what the problem with rick rolling would be. When I'm rick rolled, I don't take offense to it, I'm more like 'alright, you got me'. I would just like to know why others would find it offensive to the point where I would be reprimanded by the mods for doing it.
  • CM_DrunkCM_Drunk Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    If its just a YT link, thats one thing. But when you get one of those links that you have to bring upm the task manager just to stop it from playing, its annoying as hell.
  • HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
    edited April 2008
    CM_Drunk;476469 said:
    If its just a YT link, thats one thing. But when you get one of those links that you have to bring upm the task manager just to stop it from playing, its annoying as hell.
    I think closing the tab in Firefox also works.
  • jsorgejsorge Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    CM_Drunk;476469 said:
    If its just a YT link, thats one thing. But when you get one of those links that you have to bring upm the task manager just to stop it from playing, its annoying as hell.
    Well, that's normally what I do (YT link). I mostly just use it to reduce tension in a thread. Only time I've used it here was when we were all waiting for the delayed DLC announcement a few weeks ago and there was a thread about things to watch while we're waiting for the DLC to be announced. I thought it was harmless and I don't think anyone got upset about it, just a couple of people who would have similar reactions as myself when I get rick rolled.
  • dome420dome420 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    thank you for noticing my fight club reference, we for the most parts are all adults.....saying that, do we really need a filter that blocks out fcuk and siht, and azz.?...we use these words in everyday language...or at least i do. saying a song sihty is not offensive to anyone........sometimes saying the word "poop" in place of siht makes the statment less powerful..for example you stub your pinky toe on the edge of your couch and you scream out "oh poop!!!"...see now thats not the same as saying "oh siht"....we have words like this in order to express feeling.......oh yea i know i am miss spelling the bad words so HRMX dont block this post...lol
  • BearclawBearclaw Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    HMXJohnlok;476351 said:
    Fansites are fine - mostly this applies to vendors, eBay links, and pyramid schemes.
    Thanks for the reply, in retrospect my topic may have been closed for bumping it after 2 days and only 3 views (I began it at 3:00 am, giving it little exposure). I did this, of course, before it was against the rules.
This discussion has been closed.