Emerson Lake & Palmer for RB anyone? (we need more prog)

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited February 2013 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer

yes, I know there always isn't both guitar and bass, but since they have charted piano and organ in the past (btw, I loved the organ solo in Smokin'), they could easily chart Emerson's keyboards/organ/piano/moog to the guitar and it would be hard and uber challenging, most importantly, the vocals are pretty fun and the drums would be insane, Lake has some good basslines too

so?
ELP for Rock Band?

Knife-Edge

From the Beginning

Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Pt 2

Take A Pebble

Tarkus

Pirates

Bitches' Crystal

and ELPowelL
Touch and Go

comments?

Comments

• JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited March 2009
    Yes.

Yes.

Oh, wait...yea...YES!
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited November 2009
    I'd buy any and all ELP, their songs would be fantastic to play in Rock Band.
  • MalacandraMalacandra Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I'd like to see more Prog in general. Classic Genesis, Yes, PInk Floyd as well as ELP.

Prog has always been something of a niche, but I think that niche probably meshes pretty well with the Rock Band audience.
  • Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
    edited July 2010
    Showing my support!!

Their songs would be at devil tier especially now with the new keyboards! RB3 WAS MADE FOR ELP!!

Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression Part 2
    Tarkus
  • mjlambert1mjlambert1 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Yes is good for starters. Now this would be digging deeper.
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited July 2010
    ELP is awesome.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited July 2010
    Alvarado6411;3868418 said:
    Showing my support!!

Their songs would be at devil tier especially now with the new keyboards! RB3 WAS MADE FOR ELP!!

Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression Part 2
    Tarkus
    basically everything but bass would be excruciating, though right now my hope is for "L.A. Nights" off of Works Vol. 1 just due to having guitar in the mix (played by Joe Walsh)
  • Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
    edited July 2010
    a21schizoidman;3869252 said:
    basically everything but bass would be excruciating, though right now my hope is for "L.A. Nights" off of Works Vol. 1 just due to having guitar in the mix (played by Joe Walsh)
    DUDE!! Greg Lake is siiiiiiiiiiick on dat bass! Listen more closely to his stuff on Brain Salad Surgery
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited July 2010
    Alvarado6411;3869406 said:
    DUDE!! Greg Lake is siiiiiiiiiiick on dat bass! Listen more closely to his stuff on Brain Salad Surgery
    dude, i'm the biggest ELP fanboy on the forums, but he's not devil-tier worthy on every song, in fact, minus the Sheriff, i don't think anything would be even close to that difficult, though his stuff will be extremely fun
  • SuperTigerMarioSuperTigerMario I'm not a hipster!
    edited January 2011
    Now that we have keyboard I have to say this -- HOEDOWN!!! OMG this song is epic on keys
  • edited April 2011
    Give me some ELP.
  • Metalhead911Metalhead911 Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    As I have become a HUGE prog nerd lately (blame DT (Images & Words to Scenes From A Memory, even though I still like their more recent stuff (sue me)), they were pretty much my gateway drug for progressive music in general), ELP, 70's Yes (here's hoping for a 12-pack the week their new album drops), Gabriel-era Genesis (I personally thought that once Phil Collins took the mic, everything slowly went down the cr*pper until they went pop), King Crimson and others.

ELP however, would be the most challenging of the classic prog bands on keys and drums. Karn Evil 9 would be the best thing ever on key-tar, would be the on Dragonforce of Pro Keys, and Drums would be the ultimate endurance test.

The most realistic way it would appear in the game (assuming HMX ever got ELP to begin with) would be like this

Karn Evil 9
    • Karn Evil 9: First Impression Part 1 – 8:37
    • Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression, Pt. 2 – 4:46
    • Karn Evil 9: 2nd Impression – 7:07
    • Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression – 9:13
    Both parts of the first impression could probably go together considering it is about the same length as a certain long song we got a couple months ago (*cough*Frampton*cough*), but given the supposed length limit due to limitations in the game engine, all of the impressions will have to be separate songs (maybe HMX would charge the $2 for the song files for all three impressions).
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Somehow I misread this as Eminem,Lake,and Palmer.lol I'm obsessed.
    but anyway,yes ELP would be good
    edited July 2011
    Basically all the songs in the OP are what I want most, these guys would be a most welcome addition to the game.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    So does anyone know if there is some kind of behind the scenes reason that ELP isn't in Rock Band?

For thirty years or so ELP was my number one all time favorite band only to be knocked out of that position by Gentle Giant upon discovery about five years ago. My son's middle name is Emerson.

So, since we just got a wet dream of a YES pack coming down the pipeline, it seems that we might get ELP someday too if there isn't some sort of Led Zeppelin issue going on here.
  • Alfon1995Alfon1995 Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    They're great. I'd love to play Tarkus, my favourite song by them.

And yes, we definitely need more prog, Genesis, King Crimson, Jethro Tull (the prog one), ELP, Renaissance... come in.
  • ChaortaChaorta Unsigned
    edited August 2011
    I would buy an ELP pack.
  • Potato_Baron3Potato_Baron3 Opening Act
    edited August 2011
    ELP live. give us works live. The whole album. That would be the awesome thing to do IMO
  • RosaFloydGuyRosaFloydGuy Road Warrior
    edited August 2011
    Dude, I love you. So much. Seriously, this would be epic. However, I'd dig some pre-ELP stuff, IE King Crimson, the Nice, Atomic Rooster, Arthur Brown, as well as post-ELP like Emerson, Lake, and Powell and the band 3. I'd play the heck out of From The Beginning and Take a Pebble. Although, I'd like some Endless Enigma and Trilogy. Tarkus would be SO HARD but SO FUN. Karn Evil 9? Gimme the whole First Impression and I'll be a happy panda. BTW, where is Pictures at an Exhibition? One of my fave ELP suites.
    edited October 2011
    skyp1e;4455423 said:
    So does anyone know if there is some kind of behind the scenes reason that ELP isn't in Rock Band?

For thirty years or so ELP was my number one all time favorite band only to be knocked out of that position by Gentle Giant upon discovery about five years ago. My son's middle name is Emerson.

So, since we just got a wet dream of a YES pack coming down the pipeline, it seems that we might get ELP someday too if there isn't some sort of Led Zeppelin issue going on here.

I'm still wondering if there is a solid reason why there's no ELP yet.
    edited October 2011
    skyp1e;4527455 said:
    I'm still wondering if there is a solid reason why there's no ELP yet.

People would yell because they would never be able to FC some stuff on Pro Keys (Tarkus) or drums (Endless Enigma), so HMX is like "We love ELP but our OCD note people would be all blah. So no."
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    Do you really believe this is the reason? That ELP's music is too challenging to play? Interesting theory!
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited November 2011
    That didn't stop Yes from appearing in the game. "Roundabout" is about as impossible on keys as it gets, especially with those sweeping arpeggios, and yet Harmonix even made it an on-disc song.

I'm willing to bet ELP hasn't appeared yet simply because Harmonix hasn't decided when would be the best (read: most profitable) time to introduce them. Their songs frequently appear on various-artist CDs, which is one of the hints of how easy it is to get the band and/or label to approve (note how you almost never see AC/DC, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin songs on those classic rock compilations).

Masters could also be a factor, but since several ELP songs have gotten the 5.1 treatment over the years, I'm willing to bet the masters are still in good shape.
    edited November 2011
    To be honest, a lot of Keith Emerson's material is tough. I'm currently learning Trilogy right now, and the opening arpeggios are just devilish.
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited November 2011
    In fact, several of ELP's songs are based off of classical pieces. I would think to any 3-chord rock musician this is fair warning, but, "Roundabout" by Yes is an on-disc song, and people request classical pieces for keys. Hey.... it sounds like a win.
    edited November 2011
    Can't think of an ELP song I wouldn't buy, these guys are an absolute must for the game.
    edited November 2011
    Same here. All of their material is golden, except for post-Works I and II.
    edited November 2011
    RosaFloydGuy;4549623 said:
    To be honest, a lot of Keith Emerson's material is tough. I'm currently learning Trilogy right now, and the opening arpeggios are just devilish.
    This is by no means to say that Kieth Emerson's keyboard work is easier to play than Rick Wakeman's or vice-verse but for ME I am way more comfortable playing ELP than YES.

I've been trying to play Roundabout since I was 14 and still haven't mastered it. However I had mastered the entire Tarkus album by the time I was 20. Again that's not a knock by any means on Keith. In my opinion he's better than Rick (don't tell Rick I said that), but I'm better at ELP than YES period.

Please PLEASE PLEASE bring my son's name sake (yes his middle name is Emerson and if my wife would have allowed it his first name would have been Keith as well), into the game!!!!

Even though Gentle Giant is my favorite band of all time, I would take ELP over them for Rock Band any day.

That's because I can play Keith Emerson stuff better than I can play Kerry Minnear stuff. :p

(To be fair ELP was my most favorite band for 35 years running until Gentle Giant pushed them out of the top spot just a few years ago).
    edited March 2012
    Bumping for great justice!
    edited March 2012
    I have sunk all 10 of my dashboard points into ELP.

Now who will join me?